R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Oily Discharge?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 08:41 AM
JohnnyCache
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oily Discharge?

Yesterday, a friend of mine, who is usually a mature, normal human being, decided to be a total d***hbag and flick his closed fruitpunch gatorade bottle over my car, imitating the action of emptying the contents on the 4 day old automobile. Enraged, i decided to give the horn its maden voyage by holding it down as i scrambled to unbuckle, then leaped out of the car to crack his head in five different places.

He exclaimed that it was closed tightly, but we've all drank gatorade, and there are pockets where backwash accumulates that can easily be set in motion with a good flick, regardless of how tight the cap is on. So I give the car an inspection, let him know just how i feel about his extremly out of character behavior, and take off [nothing makes a point like a turbocharged engine]. Once im out of his neighborhood, I pull over and give it an O.C. special. Still seems okay, but the fact that it was fruit punch and DS/DS MCS was starting to eat at me. So when i got home i was finally able to get it under the right light to see if any droplets were going to leave pink polkadots on my new reason for living.

To my relief i seem polka dot free, but I did notice an oily leakage running down the plastic molding above the tires. In a few locations, actually. One, on the front passenger quarter panel area, directly to the right of the seam where the passenger door ends. Another on the same panel toward the headlights, and a slight one in the same location on the drivers side. At first I thought it was the nafarious gatorade, but after i rubbed it a bit it showed up on my hand exactly like the oily, grainy crema residu at the bottom of a finished espresso. It seems as though its leaking from under the hood.. any idea of what it is?

I am not in a position to be able to clean the car for the next few days, will leaving traces of this oil on the trim ruin it in any way? [i also plan on reviewing the OC cleaning thread and ordering some stuff to coincide with my mini's first cleaning] Also, just out of curiosity,.. would red gatorade actually have caused a permanent stain had there been any contact?

Sorry for the excessive length of my post.

Last edited by JohnnyCache; 08-17-2008 at 09:07 AM. Reason: abhorred punctuation
Old 08-17-2008, 08:53 AM
smackboy1
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
but I did notice an oily leakage running down the plastic molding above the tires. In a few locations, actually. One, on the front passenger quarter panel area, directly to the right of the seam where the passenger door ends. Another on the same panel toward the headlights, and a slight one in the same location on the drivers side. At first I thought it was the nafarious gatoraid, but after i rubbed it a bit it showed up on my hand exactly like the oily, grainy crema residu at the bottom of a finished espresso. It seems as though its leaking from under the hood.. any idea of what it is?
Either your car has gonorrhea or...

...it's just cosmoline they did not clean out after arrival at port. Cosmoline is a Vaseline-like substance used to protect cars during ocean transit.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:07 AM
tpetro33
4th Gear
Yo Johnny,

You need to get a life!

OMG OMG OMG OMG SPORTS DRINK DROPLETS ON MY NEW MINI!!!

Rinse with a hose....BLAH BLAH BLAH

IT'S A CAR......

Old 08-17-2008, 09:35 AM
greystone
3rd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
but after i rubbed it a bit it showed up on my hand exactly like the oily, grainy crema residu at the bottom of a finished espresso. It seems as though its leaking from under the hood.. any idea of what it is?
Popular question today: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmoline

Gatorade would leave a stain, but it would be pretty easy to remove. As mentioned, just hose it down, no need to get super **** cleaning it.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:57 AM
djam43
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea,I think its Gonorrhea.!!!

Old 08-17-2008, 01:09 PM
postlapsaria
3rd Gear
Cosmoline...I am still getting it after 3 months of ownership.

And although some people may say 'it's just a car', I would be equally pissed if anyone decided to do that with my 3-day old car, no matter what kind of car it was.

Anyway, I think the general consensus is to clean that stuff off ASAP.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:49 PM
zarote
2nd Gear
I found ths stuff. It looks promising. http://instafinish.com/cosmoline-remover-p-252.html

Old 08-17-2008, 07:14 PM
georgia7377
2nd Gear
I noticed mine was doing the same thing. It only runs down the plastic fenders. I opened the bonnet, hood, whatever... and saw it in there. I'm going to try to clean it up without spending $35 on a cleaner. I would be pissed about the gatorade too. Mine cost $30k.. you don't want that crap especially it being so brand new. I feel you.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:31 PM
4xAAA
6th Gear
I think the OP displayed restraint. His friend is still above ground and making CO2.
I may not have gone medival, but Homey would have understood a line was crossed.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:44 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
The oily discharge most likely isn't the clap although that is treatable.

What your are experiencing is Cosmoline drip from the underside of the hood which was applied for rustproofing protection.But as the hood gets hot from the engine it begins to drip.Have the dealership clean it off since it can stain the black fender well moldings.They will cover it under the factory warranty.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:57 AM
Engender
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by zarote
I found ths stuff. It looks promising. http://instafinish.com/cosmoline-remover-p-252.html
I'll take your extra when you're done with it...provided it doesn't eat the paint of your MINI!