R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 To S or Not To S?? Help Me Decide

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 05:41 AM
Calicoskies
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In May we test drove both, S and non S. I liked both but hubby loved the responsiveness of the S. I'm not an aggressive driver (at least I wasn't then!) We ordered the S and very happy with it. Has plenty of punch, really nice growl too. I'd say just drive both and see which one makes you grin bigger. When I order my next Mini, in about 2yrs...I'm pretty sure it will be a non S for me.

Oh, our MPG is about 26 in town, 37 hwy, very pleased with that.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:24 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by r56mini
OP sounds like a MCS kind of person.
I agree...it's almost like if you have to ask the question then just get an S be done w/ it. For diehard Cooper owners the question is already settled.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:44 AM
cosmosmpower
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Analogeezer
I generally go for the higher HP, better handling, higher content version of any car I buy, I bought a XRS Matrix (came with 50 more HP than the regular Matrix, four wheel discs, six speed, etc. and the same basic engine that comes in the Lotus Elise)
Once you get to $28k - $30k for a nicely loaded S, for me stuff like the Honda S2000/350Z come into play. Granted those are VERY different cars but in my view $30k gets you into another part of the car market.

Analogeezer
You mean you bought a Mini van with doors with the same basic engine as a Celica GT-S Besides it's never too much to have all hardcore sports car versions. Between the g/f and I we'll have the 09 MCS, Lotus Elise, Honda S2000 and a 93LE Miata.

Besides you can get a very nicely optioned Cooper S for less than 26K, the 28-30K models are bloated. Ours came out to 26.1 with a few options that we're still debating on like sport suspension. You could easily get a nice Cooper S for 24-25K which is plenty reasonable.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:47 AM
tinker_06
4th Gear
We drove both, and honestly they both drove nice to me. My husband noticed the 'more power' in the s than I did... I ordered an S anyways.. just because I felt that someday - it would have a better resale value as it seemed it was favored more on this forum.

The base prices (in the 2009) are $3400 difference. That said... money wasn't an issue, but I decided to go configure BOTH models and the real difference (for MY MINI) is LESS than $1761.00. Because... on the cooper non s, I had to add sports seats, chrome gas cap, and apparently a few other items that are standard on the S are NOT on a non-S.. driving the real price of a non s higher.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:50 AM
tinker_06
4th Gear
Oh.. and my MCS is bloated, as it is over $32,000.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:37 AM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LazyT
It's settled then. You should purchase the Honda Fit.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=130946
Hey hey hey now the MC non S is nothing compared to a honda fit. No matter what it is a MINI and really, the justacooper is more authentic than the S because it was the original idea and came first

Old 08-20-2008, 08:20 AM
djam43
6th Gear
The MC is no slouch, with its higher compression engine than the MCS it has plenty of kicka$$ for the average driver. If you get the oem 15" rims you will get standard all weather tires and a spare.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:51 AM
LazyT
3rd Gear
Did anyone with a justacooper order it with the JCW Suspension?

Also, has anyone replaced the chrome grill with a Mini One Black Grill or Black Mesh?

Old 08-20-2008, 09:00 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Also, has anyone replaced the chrome grill with a Mini One Black Grill or Black Mesh?
Yes, I believe some folks have replaced the chrome Cooper grill w/ a black JCW grill.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:15 AM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Scroll up checkercoop has the black mesh grill.As for the black grill yes it has been done.Check my gallery.I also had the JCW suspension but compared to the stock or sport there wasn't much difference in ride height or handling quality IMO.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:57 AM
DrewN
6th Gear
Originally Posted by checkercoop
Hey hey hey now the MC non S is nothing compared to a honda fit. No matter what it is a MINI and really, the justacooper is more authentic than the S because it was the original idea and came first
What are you talking about, the Fit is a great car! You just need to be behind the wheel and throw it around to see how fun it can be. Also the magic seats are amazing

Old 08-20-2008, 10:21 AM
Dwell
4th Gear
What is nice about the Mini community is there doesn't seem to be snobbery against Non S and S (at least I don't think so). I went to Mini Takes the States and appreciated all the cars, regardless of S or no S. They all looked pretty cool.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:56 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
The MINI community is just awesome, no matter which car you choose, though sometimes I think that Dark Silver S owners where I live tend to be a tad stuck up. They don't wave! What's wrong with them?

Old 08-20-2008, 12:23 PM
DrewN
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RandomGemini
The MINI community is just awesome, no matter which car you choose, though sometimes I think that Dark Silver S owners where I live tend to be a tad stuck up. They don't wave! What's wrong with them?
What the...I'm the opposite. A couple of days ago I was coming out of a left and spotted a CR/W Cooper (non-S) in the corner of my eye. The driver was waiting at a red light, looking down at her phone. Coming in the opposite direction I actually buzzed by her door, honked to get her attention and stuck a thumbs up out my window as I was going away...

Yes, this DS owner goes out of his way to wave

Old 08-20-2008, 06:17 PM
LazyT
3rd Gear
Where did you purchase the JCW grill? I don't see it on the MC Configurator.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:27 PM
LazyT
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by OXYBLUECOOP
Scroll up checkercoop has the black mesh grill.As for the black grill yes it has been done.Check my gallery.I also had the JCW suspension but compared to the stock or sport there wasn't much difference in ride height or handling quality IMO.
Is that a Mini One Grill or did you paint it. It looks great! I like the looks of the Mini One with its flat black grill, mirrors and rear handle.

Last edited by LazyT; 08-20-2008 at 07:46 PM. Reason: t
Old 08-20-2008, 06:38 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It was painted.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:45 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dwell
What is nice about the Mini community is there doesn't seem to be snobbery against Non S and S
This is very good and gets to a point that is worth new, or potential, owners knowing about. This is not about a base or premium model, it's about dialing in a preferred motoring style and equipment for the same. That's what one should be looking for. The MCS has certain advantages and the Cooper has other advantages...I would encourage owners to latch into those whichever model they choose and motor proud.

I also think the more the MINI community understands these distinctions (Cooper, MCS, 1st gen, 2nd gen, cabrio, Clubbie) the more we can appreciate and enjoy MINIs in general. You're right...this is what happens when MINI owners tend to congregate in person and it's great fun.

Threads like this puts a fine point to everything, but such distinctions must be made for the owner to sort out a decision for themselves. In the end, I think any real snobbery hard to find, even though we have our own very definite preferences.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:50 PM
MrTIer
3rd Gear
Mine's still on its way but I'm pretty confident with my decision to go with an S.
That is me too! I just didn't want to have that feeling of: "I should have got the S". If I want descent gas mileage, I can always back off the pedal. If I want speed- its there! I can afford the S (and without lots of options you probably can too). So whats the issue?

Old 08-21-2008, 04:25 AM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Where did you purchase the JCW grill? I don't see it on the MC Configurator.
Yeah it's not on the configurator. I ordered mine from minspeed.net, but I have heard they have it a lot cheaper on outmotoring. Look between the 2 and send some emails to outmotoring to make sure it's the right one. I know the one from minspeed works on the non S, but don't know about outmotoring

Old 08-28-2008, 04:27 PM
ellinara
4th Gear
Definatly S it!!! I love the engine an the pickup.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:47 PM
AvidMINI
Seeing CHILI RED!
Originally Posted by djam43
The MC is no slouch, with its higher compression engine than the MCS it has plenty of kicka$$ for the average driver. If you get the oem 15" rims you will get standard all weather tires and a spare.
Hey dude, nice car in your signature!

'Course, I'm a little biased.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:55 PM
CDMINI
5th Gear
LOOK at my Signature, 3 S to 1 MC. Tried the justacooper and didn't like having to rev it north of 5.5K just to get it going, and missed the push-you-back into the seats of the S, which is even better in the NEW turbocharged models as it starts pulling g's at about 1800rpm.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:40 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
Yeah it's not on the configurator. I ordered mine from minspeed.net, but I have heard they have it a lot cheaper on outmotoring. Look between the 2 and send some emails to outmotoring to make sure it's the right one. I know the one from minspeed works on the non S, but don't know about outmotoring
Yes the outmotoring ones work fine.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:57 PM
AvidMINI
Seeing CHILI RED!
My last car was a 2007 Ford Mustang GT. It had 300 horsepower and gobs of torque and I could blow the doors off any MINI on the road if I wanted too. What's the point? Nobody cares! I sold it because it was way more car than I needed. Some guys have something to prove. I don't. I couldn't be bothered. My MINI Cooper is a nimble and spirited car and it's powerful enough to get me where I'm going without unnecessary tire-spinning or foolish grandstanding. Sometimes less is more. I'll save tons of cash on gas, tires and insurance. You've got to ask who it is you want to satisfy: yourself, or your peers.

Quick Reply: R56 To S or Not To S?? Help Me Decide