R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 To S or Not To S?? Help Me Decide

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 05:36 PM
RNinaMINI
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To S or Not To S?? Help Me Decide

I placed my order for a MC pw/pw last week. I still dont have a production number, but I'm already having second thoughts. My dilema is to whether I should upgrade to an MCS?

Here are my thoughts:

PROS:
- since I've been more aware of mini coopers, all the ones I've seen are MCS. Makes me want one too
- My family said that it might be better to have a car with higher horse power because it will be easier to drive away/out maneuver the big scary trucks and hummers out there.
- It will be more fun driving an MCS
- I added an aero kit on my MC and I feel like I will be posing as a sport even though I'm not.
- I dont want to be thinking all the "should've or could haves" once I have my MC.

CONS
- I will be using the car mostly for communting, I work 23miles from home so thats 46miles three times a week. Plus additional recreational motoring. If I get an MCS wont my MPG lessen?
- Since it will be a sport version, wont my insurance also be a little higher compared to a regular MC
- Of course, my monthly payment will increase approximately $50-60 a month.
- not sure on this one, but does an MCS have a lower resale value than a regular MC.
- and I think i will be more tempted to have the "need for speed" in an MCS.

I either need reassurance that what I ordered is fine or I need to be convinced to upgrade to an MCS.

What are your thoughts??

Last edited by RNinaMINI; 08-17-2008 at 05:38 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-17-2008, 05:38 PM
melman8r
2nd Gear
S...

Old 08-17-2008, 05:40 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RNinaMINI
This statement is worrisome....die-hard Cooper owners don't feel this way.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:43 PM
RNinaMINI
1st Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
This statement is worrisome....die-hard Cooper owners don't feel this way.
I'm sorry, I didnt mean that in a bad way. I just meant that with the additional horse power with the MCS, I will be more tempted to make use of it.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:46 PM
MINImole
Neutral
What are the mechanical pros and cons?

From what I understand, the S doesn't have a spare tire (requiring runflats)?

The S has a different transmission, right (better? worse? for reliability)?

The S has a limited slip axle so you'd get less potential torque steer...is that correct?

...is there a FAQ somewhere that has all the differences listed?

Old 08-17-2008, 05:47 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
I'm sorry, I didnt mean that in a bad way. I just meant that with the additional horse power with the MCS, I will be more tempted to make use of it.
No problem...some people just have a legitimate need for speed and that can be telling in their choice of MINI. With a Cooper one can enjoy superb MINI handling along with max fuel economy....additional power is not a requirement. For some, though, it is...and that is why the MCS exists. Coopers feel "right" to me...so that has always been my preference.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:48 PM
Tu13es
5th Gear
I want to comment on these bullets:

- not sure on this one, but does an MCS have a lower resale value than a regular MC.
1 - I think this is the ultimate deciding factor here. It was for me, at least. Performance was a big factor for me and I'd have always regretted not getting something peppy (I ended up with a JCW, actually).

2 - The money on the aero kit would recoup a big chunk of the cost of upgrading to a MCS. Not to mention the assorted things that come standard on the MCS...

3 - You might be a little more tempted to speed in a MCS, but it's not a Lambo or something insane like that. In the end, YOU decide how fast you go, not the car.

In the end, we can't really tell you what you want or what to decide. It's your decision and yours alone.

Good luck!

Old 08-17-2008, 05:52 PM
Tu13es
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MINImole
What are the mechanical pros and cons?

From what I understand, the S doesn't have a spare tire (requiring runflats)?

The S has a different transmission, right (better? worse? for reliability)?

The S has a limited slip axle so you'd get less potential torque steer...is that correct?

...is there a FAQ somewhere that has all the differences listed?
Right, no spare tire, so it'll come with runflats standard. Some here opt for normal tires and carry a slime/patch kit for those unlucky times. For me, I didn't mind the ride that the runflats offered and will be happy to stay with them.

Not sure on the transmission.

The limited slip is optional on the MCS. The torque steer will be more noticable on the MCS due to the increased power. For me, I did notice it but didn't mind it at all. I won't be taking it to the drag strip.

You can do a brief comparison of models here:

http://www.miniusa.com/#/learn/FACTS...deComparison-s

Old 08-17-2008, 05:53 PM
twomini08
1st Gear
Insurance is the same

I have two, a 2008 MC and a 2008 MCS. Both standard. The insurance is the same.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:58 PM
blackdelight
2nd Gear
I just picked up my MCS yesterday. I originally planned on getting an MC but decided to upgrade to the S because I wanted to feel comfortable knowing that I could merge into traffic. When I test drove the MC I felt like I could run faster.

The S is a blast to drive but I haven't pushed it as I'm giving it a bit of a gentle break-in (not exceeding 70 mpg) and not punching it.

It is true that the MCS doesn't have a spare and for peace of mind you would want the run flats although I'm sure that people go without. If you get run flats you might want to get an insurance policy on them as they are known to have issues.

As for the MPG, I haven't had it long enough to know but am experiencing 28.1 mpg so far with city driving (and the highway home from the dealer) so I can only imagine that the hwy will be even better.

My insurance is $20 more a year than my 2005 Pathfinder but I'm not sure of your age. You might want to check with your agent before deciding if that will be a deal breaker for you.

I'm sure you'll love your MINI no matter which way you go -- they are the best!

Last edited by blackdelight; 08-17-2008 at 06:00 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-17-2008, 05:59 PM
12pack
1st Gear
I have regretted not getting an S but then I remember that I bought the car for fuel mileage and it cruises just fine.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:02 PM
msbragg
1st Gear
Being a new owner (1 week) of a Mini Cooper, I went through the same self-doubt. I drove a JCW an MCS in addition to a non-turbo Mini before placing my order. I decided not to go the non-turbo route. I have a commute similar to the one you described, except 5 days a week. I wanted the additional mpg.

After 500 miles, I can tell you that the power with a manual transmission is sufficient to stay out of the way of trucks and Hummers. My first tank yielded 39.7mpg. As far as fun, if it was any more fun I couldn't stand it!

Old 08-17-2008, 06:06 PM
cycleguru
4th Gear
Go for it

Its not a good sign that you already question your decision on getting a cooper. Get the S.You will not be sorry.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:17 PM
sk8erguyzach
4th Gear
this is not greatest topic by far people can go back and forth

the s model has more power and is great if you want speed and turning ability and decent gas

the non-s is great for turning also and better on gas

the s has been having troble with the turbo melting the hood scoop and the turbo will need to be replaced eventually

i have an 08 s and am more than satisfied even tho my hood scoop is melting

just read the forums for both and choose for your self

Old 08-17-2008, 06:20 PM
Red Dragoon
6th Gear
My MC coupe has plenty of pep. I have no trouble merging into trucky traffic on the Jersey highways. And it cruises at speed just fine. Did you test drive both the MC and MCS? Still, when you get down to it, tis your car, so your call.

CROC 411

Old 08-17-2008, 06:24 PM
DrewN
6th Gear
Of your cons, the only ones that seem to have "legs", imo, are overall cost and MPG, i.e. it's a money issue. That said you should probably give yourself a good amount of time and work out the numbers and see how they fit into your budget.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:25 PM
MiniBella
4th Gear
Drive both. Get a feel for how the car responds. I don't advocate either but will tell you that I enjoyed driving a non-turbo MINI more. It's a personal choice that only you can make. Tests drive... multiple if need be... are the answer.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:25 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
I think a lot of people buy MCSs because of the "more is better" thing that is so prevalent in our culture.....the MCS to MC sales ratio is higher here than elsewhere on the planet. Perhaps our highway system contributes to this, but only to a small degree. No...we want all we can get. For most drivers, a Cooper is a perfectly adequate MINI....period (remember, it is a Mini). However, specific driving needs....along with the MINIs acceptance/recognition as performance car...has caused many to look at MINIs in another light and that naturally increases attraction to the MCS. So where do you fit in the whole scheme of things? Personally, I can't pass up a MINI that can get 40+ mpg.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:32 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
- I will be using the car mostly for communting, I work 23miles from home so thats 46miles three times a week. Plus additional recreational motoring. If I get an MCS wont my MPG lessen?
- Since it will be a sport version, wont my insurance also be a little higher compared to a regular MC
I think the Cooper is more fun (we have both).
While its possible for the Cooper to get better MPG than an S. We've been getting better milage in the S (probaby because of the more fun in the Cooper.)
The insurance on the S is less, but that may be because my Wife is listed as his main driver and drives less miles per year.
You have to rein in the the S more or you'll be soon actracting the attention of the law. That's part of the why the Cooper can be more fun.

If we had just one MINI, it might be a Cooper, but I waiver on that point.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:50 PM
Ju5tin
2nd Gear
I wouldn't think twice. I would definitely get a 'S'. You will LOVE it.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:10 PM
georgia7377
2nd Gear
S all the way

Old 08-17-2008, 07:16 PM
DragonWagon
5th Gear
Highway or city miles?
Getting a S will cost you a few mpg.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:41 PM
sgrobben
1st Gear
Cooper all the way!

Old 08-17-2008, 07:53 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
My dilema is to whether I should upgrade to an MCS?
See, I would not automatically consider the MCS an upgrade....but you should definitely get the MINI that you feel is right for you. If you are already having second thoughts, this in itself is important and telling. If you get a Cooper, there is a whole set of factors you can latch into and enjoy, as well as certain bragging right in the mpg dept....just immerse yourself in all things Cooper. But....if you like to get your foot in it, you might as well be honest about it now and get an MCS. For me it is about driving perfection....and Coopers totally give me that. For others the MCS is better suited. Either way (Cooper or MCS), don't compromise...it's just too much fun for that!!

Old 08-17-2008, 08:24 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Sometimes I do wish I got the S, but I really love my non S and the naturally aspirated engine feels consistent throughout the RPM musical band When I really drive it hard, it puts a big smile on my face. I wonder sometimes how much bigger the smile could be, but then I realize that I can get over 40 mpg in this car, so the smile increases

The transmission is the same, so no difference there, and the cars handle the same.

To me the naturally balanced MINI just feels more intact with me while driving rather than a forced S.

I'm sure when I do go for a new MINI (well after 100,000 miles hopefully. Only at 11700 now so many years to go ), then it may be an S, but I hope by then a MINI EV (electric vehicle) will be available...they have one that has been retrofitted and wayyy outperforms even an S

Quick Reply: R56 To S or Not To S?? Help Me Decide