R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 So I just filled out my JD Powers survey...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 05:55 PM
Rossii
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PatrickForman
Hello my fellow motorers!

Maybe I can give a little bit of insight from the perspective of a Motoring Advisor. MINI is very concerned with the JD surveys. The regional reps have visited all of the dealers and helped us make sure the customers are very familiar with their cars. A big part of the low scores has to do with owners not understanding how certain features of the MINI aka "Idiosyncrasies" work. As a brand they are very invovled.

With regards to the MINI new sales survey they are changing the entire process. They are now going to be asking yes/no questions via email (no more phone calls) that will help determine what needs improvment. For example, "Were you greated properly when you first arrived at the dealership", "Was your MINI clean and trouble free at time of delivery", "Were you offered a test drive", "Were you contacted after delivery by your MA", etc. They will still be asking owners to give a 1-5 score on the overall experience.

Previously, new MINI owners were asked two generic questions "How was your overall experience" and "Would you recommend XXX MINI to someone else". The telephone operators would probe for more information but rarely would customers elaborate. In my humble opinion a survey like this would not help improve the MINI buying experience. Some of you may not realize that many dealerships will base a Motoring Advisors pay on the score that they recieve. In many cases they will deduct large amounts from our paychecks if we do not receive 5's. The process MINI used to score the surveys was 5 = 100%, 4 = 75%, 3 = 50%, 2 = 25%, 1 = 0%. You dont have to be a mathematician to see that a score of 4 or lower will greatly skew the overall percentage. Some of my previous customers refuse to give what they feel is a "perfect" score. This is understandable, but realize that our livelihood depends on these scores and if you feel that way you can simply refuse to participate in the survey. Personally I strive to give my customers an excellent buying experience. Sometimes after taking delivery things happen that are out of my control. I ask my customers that if they cannot grant a score of "5" that they let me know before taking the survey so that I can fix the problem.

With regards to paying sticker price for the MINI the market conditions definetely play a part. However you should realize that MINI does not offer the delears any type of cash back, special incentive financing or rebates to help offset the price. This is a big reason why there is no discounting. Ford, Toyota, GM.. all offer huge cash back incentives which allow the dealers to "discount" their vehicles. Check out MINIs KBB.com resale ratings. 6 years in a row MINI has held one of the highest resale value in the auto industry. A big part of this is due to the market that MINI as established. They do a great job of controlling supply, keeping high demand and setting a fair price.

Edmunds.com has a fun tool called True Cost of Onwership. You can determine how much you will pay to own a vehicle for X amount of years. They factor in sale price, depreciation, fuel, maintenence, insurance, etc. You might get a big discount on another brand but when it comes time to sell that car a few years down the road it will be worth alot less than the MINI. Also figure in the free maintenence, inexpensive insurance, fuel savings and the difference between brands in some cases is staggering. I will let you determine what is a "fair deal".

Happy Motoring!

Patrick
Frankly this whole survey that BMW gives customers is flawed and really doesnt improve service. How is it possible to consider something less than a 5 as "failure?!?!"...........even BMW themselves isnt perfect. All the survey really does is make the MA's, CA's and SA's beg the customers to give them 5's since getting one bad score can really screw with your livelyhood for months to come. The questions themselves are not cut and dry and are open to the interpretation of the rep making the call. For example this happend to me.

Back when the new 5 series came out in 04 navi was not an option however, once it was it would be a dealer installed option. I sold a 525 to a customer who was very happy with my service as an CA and we had scheduled him to bring back the car and get the navi installed. Well he got the call for the survey and was asked "was everything done as promised" well "no" since he had to bring the car back in for the navi installed.......well guess what the rep interpreted that as a "3". Ironically the same day my client faxed in a letter to my GM telling him it was one of the best buying experiences he's every had. Guess what I was screwed for months to come.......

Old 11-19-2008, 06:38 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Btwyx
So its fair that the manufacturer artificially inflates the sticker, with the assumption that it'll be negotiated down in most case. Rather than setting a realistic price which you can actually buy it at.

You've just been falling for a marketing trick, you think you're getting a deal when you're really just getting the price it was meant to sell for. Above sticker I have a problem with, but sticker price is fair.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:04 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some of you may not realize that many dealerships will base a Motoring Advisors pay on the score that they recieve. In many cases they will deduct large amounts from our paychecks if we do not receive 5's.
Probably get in trouble for saying this but I've heard lots of reasons why the dealerships need "all 5's"... from "bonuses" to "trips" and "number of cars the dealership will get" to my favorite one... "we'll only give you a loaner if you promise to give all 5's". I'm sure it's different at each dealership though, right?

Old 11-19-2008, 08:24 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
How about "...if you want fives, make sure I get a loaner..."
__________________________________________________ ________

(My JD Powers Survey came with a crisp dollar bill inside, gave all sections highest marks.)

Old 11-19-2008, 09:38 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pilotart
How about "...if you want fives, make sure I get a loaner..."
__________________________________________________ ________

(My JD Powers Survey came with a crisp dollar bill inside, gave all sections highest marks.)
You think it'll work?

Last time I went for "service" and one time "Goodwill Warranty" (since our car was just shy of 1000 miles over when we had an issue with the "S" and the pulley and the fan) we did not get a loaner (didn't have our car for about 5 days) and when we picked the car up it was sooty looking inside. As we were moving things around to get the seats adjusted so that I could drive home, I noticed "stuff" on the seats... turned out that it was mouse poop and urine. I was offered a "detail" the next time I went up for service... ... really think I'd go back? After always giving them 5's... well they didn't get 5's after this visit.

*Note: If you suspect that there may be a mouse in your car you can set a piece of cheese on the seat (on plastic of course), close everything up and wait a couple of days to see if there's been any nibbling. If nothing... then you're probably good.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:27 AM
condor27596
6th Gear
They like peanut butter better

Flow Mini earns their 5's. Great service.
BTW, I made an appointment to test drive (two hour drive)
I didn't just drop in.

I didn't get the survey when I bought my mini :(

I just got one for the SX4 we got.

With under 1000 miles, I mean, what can you say bad?
(assuming that everything works when you get it)
I don't recall really but there were not many questions
about the dealer. I gave them good grades.

This is my 3rd new car buying in......almost 30 years of driving.
I still judge my dealer experience compared to the
dealer in chapel hill that sold me my honda 20 years ago.
That was h e l l. So, if it isn't like that, I'm willing to give you
a good grade, even a 5.

I'll tell you something though that is very eye opening, not buying
many new cars. Something I forgot about long ago.
You leave Flow Mini (W-S, NC) you leave with the feeling that
they actually give a flyin rat's patootie about your car. You
go in for service, you feel the same way. And also, you see
a lot of posts here saying I have had no problems, and you see
a lot of posts but they say they fixed it under warranty.

I'm reading the suzuki books/manual/info, and it's
"maintaining your vehicle is 100% your responsibility"
I realized, or at least I feel, by driving off the lot I am
now on my own. They are done with me.

I didn't get that feeling at all with MINI.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:38 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Over the years, I have seen quite a few tricks to get perfect scores especially for service or sales visits.

Many years ago at the Toyota dealer, I use to get the prefilled in forms with all 5s already ticked that I can take home and mail. At least they paid the mailing charge.
More recently at Porsche, the sales person kept showing me the filled in forms with all 10s marked. It was the one that was framed and displayed on his wall. His point was, this is what you do when they call or when you use the internet survey tool.
Mini has called as well and I feel trapped when they ask why did I give them that score. It is a suggestion to reconsider. When someone does that to me, I always lower the score, then they won't do it again for the next question.

Surveys, like JDP, Maritz, consumer reports etc, are flawed and can be influenced in many ways. I believe they can give you good info when used in a proper manner. They serve to give the consumer more info to make a more informed choice. Remember the scores are averages and experiences are part of the bell curve (good and bad).

Voice of the customer or VOC surveys are important for a company to understand what is going on. Perhaps GM, Ford and Chrysler should have paid more attention to this. I do not agreed when these flawed instruments are used as a really big stick.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:54 AM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
miniola,

Sad to hear about your Mouse and hope you are troubled no more.

When I pass 'Sunny Sarasota on the Bay', I am a little less than halfway to That Dealer.
My 'MA' was great enough to get promoted and now Manages their Volvo Dealership, so I no longer even have a 'contact' there.

My best hope is that the rumor of a new MINI Dealer for the Southwest Florida area will come true.

My 'JD Power Survey' had No 'MINI' Questions, it was strictly a comparison between That MINI/BMW Dealership
and four other strictly BMW Dealers in the Sarasota-Tampa area.

Of course I did give That BMW/MINI Dealer top marks, since my one and only visit there had gone really well.

My plan had been to spend a few days to visit the five other (East Florida) MINI Dealerships,
but finding excellent service and a brand new inventory MINI that was exactly what I wanted to order made it un-necessary.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:15 AM
sequence
6th Gear
My best hope is that the rumor of a new MINI Dealer for the Southwest Florida area will come true.
yeah, like the E side of America needs more MINI dealerships. More are needed in the deep south, upper midwest, and out West.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:57 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by condor27596
They like peanut butter better

Flow Mini earns their 5's. Great service.
BTW, I made an appointment to test drive (two hour drive)
I didn't just drop in.

I didn't get the survey when I bought my mini :(

I just got one for the SX4 we got.

With under 1000 miles, I mean, what can you say bad?
(assuming that everything works when you get it)
I don't recall really but there were not many questions
about the dealer. I gave them good grades.

This is my 3rd new car buying in......almost 30 years of driving.
I still judge my dealer experience compared to the
dealer in chapel hill that sold me my honda 20 years ago.
That was h e l l. So, if it isn't like that, I'm willing to give you
a good grade, even a 5.

I'll tell you something though that is very eye opening, not buying
many new cars. Something I forgot about long ago.
You leave Flow Mini (W-S, NC) you leave with the feeling that
they actually give a flyin rat's patootie about your car. You
go in for service, you feel the same way. And also, you see
a lot of posts here saying I have had no problems, and you see
a lot of posts but they say they fixed it under warranty.

I'm reading the suzuki books/manual/info, and it's
"maintaining your vehicle is 100% your responsibility"
I realized, or at least I feel, by driving off the lot I am
now on my own. They are done with me.

I didn't get that feeling at all with MINI.
Peanut Butter?!? Who knew?!?

Old 11-20-2008, 01:18 PM
miniola
6th Gear
miniola,

Sad to hear about your Mouse and hope you are troubled no more.

When I pass 'Sunny Sarasota on the Bay', I am a little less than halfway to That Dealer.
My 'MA' was great enough to get promoted and now Manages their Volvo Dealership, so I no longer even have a 'contact' there.

My 'JD Power Survey' had No 'MINI' Questions, it was strictly a comparison between That MINI/BMW Dealership
and four other strictly BMW Dealers in the Sarasota-Tampa area.

Of course I did give That BMW/MINI Dealer top marks, since my one and only visit there had gone really well.

My plan had been to spend a few days to visit the five other (East Florida) MINI Dealerships,
but finding excellent service and a brand new inventory MINI that was exactly what I wanted to order made it un-necessary.
I imagined a furry something running across my foot when I was on the Skyway coming home! At the time, I didn't know if it was "mouse" or "rat". Though I searched online to distinguish the difference... if it is .25-.50" it is mouse... bigger than that is rat. Just an FYI.

Someone had said that Downtown in Orlando was good but we haven't made it there yet. We bought a 530I from Fields in WinterPark and they were really great there.

Although I LOVE my MINI, I must say that the best service I ever had was at the Lexus dealer in Sarasota. We bought a pre-owned ES300 from them around yr 2000 I think. Everything was neat and clean, they gave a loaner every time (and you didn't have to fill it up with gas before you brought it back in)... but the best thing was that we were treated the same as the person that bought the brand new expensive Lexus off the showroom floor... oh and we were never held as a survey hostage.

Our MINI that we have now was purchased in Texas at Momentum MINI in Houston. (NOT the mouse poop place). They were really great there in Houston. They held that elusive new PW '08 MCSC (that we were looking for) for us through two hurricanes and waited until we could fly in. I wish I could go to them for service but it would be a haul! They got all 5's!

Old 11-20-2008, 02:04 PM
PatrickForman
1st Gear
Originally Posted by miniola
Probably get in trouble for saying this but I've heard lots of reasons why the dealerships need "all 5's"... from "bonuses" to "trips" and "number of cars the dealership will get" to my favorite one... "we'll only give you a loaner if you promise to give all 5's". I'm sure it's different at each dealership though, right?
Wow I couldnt imagine saying something like that to a customer. The test of true customer service is not when things are going smoothly but when the problems occur and how they are dealt with. I did get a chuckle when you referred to yourself as "survey hostage".

I remember the first time I was penalized for a bad score. I had this one lovely customer. The entire sales process was fantastic and she was extremely pleased with her new MINI. When she got the survey call she said "Patrick is #1" and proceeded to give me a score of 1 on both questions. We listened to the recording it was painful. Needless to say they took a huge chunk out of my paycheck for that one. I called her afterwards to find out what happened. When I realized she made a mistake I felt so bad. I didnt tell her that I got shafted because I didnt want her to feel guilty. I am happy they are switching to the new system. Hopefully it will prevent things like this from happening and provide useful information to better the buying experience going forward.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:01 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Wow I couldnt imagine saying something like that to a customer. The test of true customer service is not when things are going smoothly but when the problems occur and how they are dealt with. I did get a chuckle when you referred to yourself as "survey hostage".

I remember the first time I was penalized for a bad score. I had this one lovely customer. The entire sales process was fantastic and she was extremely pleased with her new MINI. When she got the survey call she said "Patrick is #1" and proceeded to give me a score of 1 on both questions. We listened to the recording it was painful. Needless to say they took a huge chunk out of my paycheck for that one. I called her afterwards to find out what happened. When I realized she made a mistake I felt so bad. I didnt tell her that I got shafted because I didnt want her to feel guilty. I am happy they are switching to the new system. Hopefully it will prevent things like this from happening and provide useful information to better the buying experience going forward.
Wow... you guys listen to the recordings? (Guess I'd get more than mouse poop in my car if I went back to the same place! )

I think buyers of the cars want to be able to score with some anonimity and be honest when it comes to rating. Yeah, there will always be people that will never give 5's (didn't you ever have a teacher like that?) And as for your loveable lady customer... it's easy to get confused with a number of 1-5 and with the questions too... thinking "which one is the highest again?".

It's good that you're trying to go above and beyond. Hard to believe that your pay gets docked so much though if your scores aren't 5's ... that kinda bites. Is it like that everywhere? Maybe working with a different business model would be better.

Hope my guys at Momentum weren't docked for my "recorded" answers. I was asked if I was planning to use their service department and I said "no". After a confused pause by the questioner she asked why and I explained that the 2000+ mile round trip and hotel stays would be killer! She also asked if I was introduced to the Service Dept and I said "no" because we got there late in the day and Momentum was only partly open due to the passing of Hurricane Ike. But I did tell her that it looked very clean and pretty through the window and that I sure wished we could go back. We were both laughing... so hopefully it was ok. I never got a call from anyone asking why I gave certain answers though... is that a good sign?

Old 11-20-2008, 09:01 PM
PatrickForman
1st Gear
Originally Posted by miniola
Wow... you guys listen to the recordings? (Guess I'd get more than mouse poop in my car if I went back to the same place! )

I think buyers of the cars want to be able to score with some anonimity and be honest when it comes to rating. Yeah, there will always be people that will never give 5's (didn't you ever have a teacher like that?) And as for your loveable lady customer... it's easy to get confused with a number of 1-5 and with the questions too... thinking "which one is the highest again?".

It's good that you're trying to go above and beyond. Hard to believe that your pay gets docked so much though if your scores aren't 5's ... that kinda bites. Is it like that everywhere? Maybe working with a different business model would be better.

Hope my guys at Momentum weren't docked for my "recorded" answers. I was asked if I was planning to use their service department and I said "no". After a confused pause by the questioner she asked why and I explained that the 2000+ mile round trip and hotel stays would be killer! She also asked if I was introduced to the Service Dept and I said "no" because we got there late in the day and Momentum was only partly open due to the passing of Hurricane Ike. But I did tell her that it looked very clean and pretty through the window and that I sure wished we could go back. We were both laughing... so hopefully it was ok. I never got a call from anyone asking why I gave certain answers though... is that a good sign?
What good would the surveys be if we didnt learn from them. And the old survey system was so generic the only way to get true information was to listen to the customer feedback recordings. I would have most likely been fired for those 1's had the recording and my follow up call shown that it was simply a misunderstanding. And for the record the customer I am talking about is just over 80 years old which would explain the confusion.

I have met many MA's from accross the country at various training events. I have yet to meet one whos pay is not based on these CSI survey scores. If you were not satisfied with your purchase and gave a poor score then most likely the MA just left it at that. In most cases there is no real reason to confront you about the negative results unless there is somthing that needs to be fixed. Unfortunately in that case the damage has already done. This is why I am excited about the new system. it should prove to give much more detailed information once it is fully implemented.

Old 11-21-2008, 04:47 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Those surveys have to be taken with a grain of salt....I know a guy who purchased his Mini at the same dealership as I did a copule of months before me...he said it was the worst buying experience he ever had...BS..I purchased mine from the same place and the same sales girl. They were very pro active and didnt push..AT ALL...I paid sticker, got a free set of mats and was totally satisfied with the experience. I orderd an 09 JCW and all was perfect when it came in.

Now to comment on the survey and why it means nothing...the guy I speak of who purchased from the same dealer constantly complains about to dumbest things and gave the Mini and the dealer poor ratings. He showed me his issues, he seems like the only one with an issue.

His problem..
Paid sticker...to bad, you didn't have to buy
Poor Floor mats...to bad they were free and I like mine!!!
Cabin noise....BS no more than any other car in its class
Sales staff not pro active...BS, guess he likes pushy sales people
Poor Stereo..agree on that point

So to me the survey in nothing more than an opinion. Just my .02

Old 11-21-2008, 07:32 AM
FlyingZ06
3rd Gear
you are supposed to fill those out? I think mine is in the land fill.