R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 TPMS SENSORS... BYPASS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 08:12 AM
mnimule
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPMS SENSORS... BYPASS?

I just put on my summer/fall wheels 18" JCW R113's and kept my original TPMS sensors in my my stock 16" s winders and wanted to know if there is any way to cut the switch or bypass the senors so i can get that annoying little light from flashing as well as the exclamation point on my tach....

I have an 2008 MCS!!

thanks guys!

Old 08-25-2008, 09:11 AM
TWISTER
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not as of yet. Only a piece of electrical tape for now

Old 08-25-2008, 09:38 AM
mnimule
3rd Gear
i am willing to do minor surgery to jade : snip snip!!!

Old 08-25-2008, 09:42 AM
mnimule
3rd Gear
i am willing to do minor surgery to jade : snip snip!!!

Old 08-25-2008, 10:42 AM
Hellion
3rd Gear
you can buy extras to put in the other set of wheels

Old 08-25-2008, 11:44 AM
mnimule
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Hellion
you can buy extras to put in the other set of wheels
Yeah i kinda wanted to save $300 and possibly put it toward a future mod instead of some stupid sensor in my wheels telling me i need air!!!!

Old 08-25-2008, 01:45 PM
reyd1
4th Gear
Or you could get the TPMS removed from 16s and put in a sealed pvc pipe container w a tire valve stem at the other end. Inflate to 32 psi and keep in car.....

3" PVC with end caps,
bubble wrap to protect TPMS
valve stem

There you go! Bypass!!!

Old 08-25-2008, 02:28 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mnimule
Yeah i kinda wanted to save $300 and possibly put it toward a future mod instead of some stupid sensor in my wheels telling me i need air!!!!
I kind of like the stupid sensors, I worry much less about the tire pressures now. I hope I'm not putting unwarranted trust in this system.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:38 PM
eR1c
5th Gear
I hate the TPMS sensors, it's just another way to spend money and increase the cost of vehicles. I feel the safety issues and gas savings because of them are insignificant compared to the $300 or more they tach on to the price of new cars. I think simple cars will cost less and run longer. Too many gadgets are bad :(

I just don't think it's that difficult to visually check your tires every time you fill up w/ gas. Or check w/ a gauge every 6 months or so. ..anyway, we all have our opinions I guess.

Old 08-25-2008, 03:08 PM
CLAG
3rd Gear
I'd like TPMS that would provide a readout by wheel of the actual pressure

Old 08-25-2008, 03:10 PM
mellowmcs
5th Gear
Originally Posted by eR1c
I hate the TPMS sensors, it's just another way to spend money and increase the cost of vehicles. I feel the safety issues and gas savings because of them are insignificant compared to the $300 or more they tach on to the price of new cars. I think simple cars will cost less and run longer. Too many gadgets are bad :(

I just don't think it's that difficult to visually check your tires every time you fill up w/ gas. Or check w/ a gauge every 6 months or so. ..anyway, we all have our opinions I guess.

I prefer the old method of using the ABS sensor. which allowed you to change wheels and not worry about this "sensor" shenanigans

Old 08-25-2008, 03:38 PM
mnimule
3rd Gear
so is there no way to bypass this or cut some wire on the sesors....?

Old 08-25-2008, 03:46 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nope.I tried disconnecting the module(drivers side panel in boot) but did not work.

Old 08-25-2008, 03:55 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The logic

or lack thereof, of TPMS is that a very large percentage of car drivers never check thier pressures, no matter how easy it is. This is coupled with low tire pressures contributing to roll-over accidents, which are the most lethal type. So you make sure that there's a way for the average driver to know that the tires need air, and hence cut down on the number of fatal roll over accidents.

The TPMS could easily be capable of reporting absolute pressures, but it doesn't give this info to the driver yet.... I'm sure higher end cars will soon.

And the $300 cost is retail to replace the sensor. For the cost in a new car it's much, much less. FWIW, the sensors are rebuildable, but are not standardized. So getting the right parts to change the seals and the like isn't easy....

Matt

Old 08-25-2008, 04:10 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
The reason why we have this 'improvement'?

Ask your elected representatives......

On your behalf they made this a LAW........

did they represent YOUR opinion?

Dunno? Who's fault?

Old 08-25-2008, 04:16 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
It's the exact same reasoning...

as to why we have manditory seatbelts, collapsable steering columns, air bags and ABS systems. Same for headlights, turn signals and brake lights. Some of these items we all (I hope) like, some not so much so....

I haven't yet seen data as to if they are effective in reducing roll-over accident rate as intended. If they do, what's the problem? If they don't, then it's a waste of money.

Matt

ps, if you think that gov isn't representing your interests, vote differently! If the interest doesn't carry the day, that called "democracy".... Get used to it!

Old 08-25-2008, 04:19 PM
ChiliXer
4th Gear
Just found this:

http://tiptopvi.ehost.com/tpms/

I would have to think there would be cheaper ways, but depending on how it works this could prevent you from ever having to buy the stupid sensors. If that was the case it might be worth it. Too bad there is no info.

Old 08-25-2008, 04:23 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Originally Posted by eR1c
Because radials show very little indication of pressure, runflats show almost zero indication of being flat just by looking at them. Eyeballing them and using a gauge every 6 months is most likely to lead to six months of wrong tire pressures. I'd check them every week (ideally) and every time before a long trip. Checking them usually means letting a bit of air out of the tires anyway, so sooner or later your need to pump them up a bit. With the sensor in place I just don't bother checking them anymore, (I'm not really sure that's a good thing though).

Originally Posted by mellowmcs
I prefer the old method of using the ABS sensor. which allowed you to change wheels and not worry about this "sensor" shenanigans
The trouble with that is it was quite insensitve, it really only tells you about flats, not low pressure. I only got a warning with the old method when the tires were down 11lb, down about 1/3 of the ideal pressure. I could have been driving around for weeks on a 10lb down tire and it wouldn't warn me. I'm pretty sure 10lb down is not good for the tire.

Old 08-25-2008, 04:27 PM
frenchie
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
as to why we have mandatory seat belts, collapsible steering columns, air bags and ABS systems. Same for headlights, turn signals and brake lights. Some of these items we all (I hope) like, some not so much so....

I haven't yet seen data as to if they are effective in reducing roll-over accident rate as intended. If they do, what's the problem? If they don't, then it's a waste of money.

Matt

PS, if you think that gov isn't representing your interests, vote differently! If the interest doesn't carry the day, that called "democracy".... Get used to it!
It actually started some years ago with the FORD Explorer Firestone tire safety issue. The public cried out and congress reacted by making it mandatory. It is definitely a safety issue,,though a PITA I am all for safety!

Old 08-25-2008, 04:27 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
I'm betting...

Originally Posted by ChiliXer
Just found this:

http://tiptopvi.ehost.com/tpms/

I would have to think there would be cheaper ways, but depending on how it works this could prevent you from ever having to buy the stupid sensors. If that was the case it might be worth it. Too bad there is no info.
that this is a way to mount up the sensors and pressurize them, just like the suggestion posted above...

The reason the wheel speed sensor lost out is it's a relative measure, not absolute. So you can just press the reset button and go around with low pressures (as I'm sure many do, or did).

Sensitivity is an issue in programming, more than anything else. Mine went off at about 5-7 lbs low on one tire.

Matt

Old 08-25-2008, 04:33 PM
ChiliXer
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
that this is a way to mount up the sensors and pressurize them, just like the suggestion posted above...
oh well that is a ridiculous cost for that

Old 08-25-2008, 04:39 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
The site does say...

"the factory sensors are required".

Matt

Old 08-25-2008, 04:57 PM
zach999
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
tirerack sells 4 replacement sensors for 200$. they come in two pieces the sensor/transmitter and the valve stem itself. it comes out to like 32$ per each sensor/transmitter and ~18$ for each valve stem: not too bad if you break it down like that
Tire rack sells them thru ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-M...spagenameZWDVW

Old 08-25-2008, 06:24 PM
ChiliXer
4th Gear
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...p?p=1566632157

looks like the corvettes appreciate it

I sure hope our car doesn't do something stupid like that.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:51 AM
reyd1
4th Gear
wow. $235 for a bypass... Ow. I would be cheap and do the DIY like I posted above. Unfortunately, you need to keep it in your boot....

Quick Reply: R56 TPMS SENSORS... BYPASS?