R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 I write you from behind broken nav screens & shredded seats

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 12:50 PM
bhelton
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good luck with getting everything squared away. It will be a long process, but I'm sure it will work out. I'm currently working with my insurance company because my father-in-law caught my car on fire (other than that, he's a great guy though), but boy does the insurance company ask a lot of questions!

Old 08-27-2008, 01:05 PM
matty125
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by

[URL
http://www.disobeyers.com/Disobeyers/Photos/Pages/Mini_Woes.html[/URL]
BRAKE THE DRIVERS WINDOW< PULL SOME WIRES OUT OF THE DASH AND LEAVE YOUR KEYS IN THE CAR. REPORT IT STOLEN. I dont condone fraud, I do condone covering your *** however.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:06 PM
enjoyingsilence
3rd Gear
Is it cynical if that kind of made me giggle? :P your father in law catching your car on fire?

-

Yikes, I'm not gonna commit fraud, holy moley.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:12 PM
bhelton
4th Gear
Originally Posted by enjoyingsilence
Is it cynical if that kind of made me giggle? :P your father in law catching your car on fire?
Yeah, it's a long and strange story, but the front seal on the transmission blew on my way to catch a cruise ship, so I ditched it and asked him to pick it up for me while I was gone and see if he could get it into a garage so I could have it when I got back. Instead, he was towing it home (front wheels up, drive shaft still connected), and the tranny overheated, sparking some nearby wires and kablewy! The insurance (when I finally get it squared away) should give me a decent down payment for the MINI I'm planning on ordering

Old 08-27-2008, 01:16 PM
enjoyingsilence
3rd Gear
Honestly, I've had stranger things happen to me with other cars. The mini was always the problem child.

Hence it's name, Howard Hughes :P

Old 08-27-2008, 07:11 PM
richs10
5th Gear
Holy Cripes!
After reading the posts here and that blog, it looks like the real victim here is that poor little MINI. Abused, stabbed, slashed, vandalized, kicked in the Nav, and hated.

It's enough to make you want to start a rescue kennel for unloved MINIs.
Poor little thing. Looks like he never had a chance.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:19 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Are you sure you have to drive back down to Miami? I have filed many police reports "over the phone".

The ins. company wants something documented and though I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I have yet to see anyone not able to do it over the phone.

HTH's,

Mark

Old 08-27-2008, 07:56 PM
enjoyingsilence
3rd Gear
Yea, my father (whom legally owns the car) has been in law enforcement for 30 years (december 2nd) and knows a bunch of people. including down in Miami.

He called and asked as a personal favor, and they said no.

I think the only option, since it's not running right, is to have it professionally towed back and forth? And let their police deal with it.

I'm actually appreciative of the private messages, offering advice, and wisdom. And the posts here. It's more than I've received from my local mini club.

So THANKS
big hugs

Old 08-27-2008, 09:33 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by lewz
I was neither attacking nor joking. This OP states the following in his blog:

"For all those who aren’t in the know. I have issues with depression. I’m bi-polar, sure. I’m heavily medicated. But meds can only sway so much of, what are normally, severe mood swings.

Mood swings that include, binge eating, binge drinking, binge smoking, 3-5 days without sleep, thoughts of creative suicide. "..
How many people would like to do what I do every day? umm. a lot, probably. Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Poop, Smoke Hookah, Get Free Room & Board, etc...

I hate it. I’m tired of it. I’m not allowed to drive any of the cars anymore, cause of a small accident I was in..."

See
http://www.disobeyers.com/Disobeyers..._Flash___.html and http://www.disobeyers.com/Disobeyers...sadness._.html
I have to admit the OP's blog is how should I say... Scary... There's life after the Mini... Don't let it get you down.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:01 PM
enjoyingsilence
3rd Gear
Well we're in the "life after mini'", and I'm still here hehe. All of my cynical goodness.

Hopefully, tomorrow well know something. I'm not sure "exactly" what's going on, but assuming I find out, I'll be sure to post.

The subject of vehicle replacement did come up today, and unfortunately, if so, it wont' be a mini or BMW product :( I was actually seriously thinking about the hyundai genesis. (the v6 version). The premium "hifi" system in that car is actually, premium hifi quality. :P And it's a good car. imo... just a thought, or a far fetched hope, in the eyes of some.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:36 AM
bhelton
4th Gear
Well, if it's not going to be a MINI, thetruthaboutcars.com recently did their top 10 cars and the number one car was the Mazda3. I can atest to that as I just bought one myself (before I saw the list). But it's a pretty nice ride. Nothing fancy on the inside (at least mine anyway), but you can upgrade and get a lot of the same features as a MINI. Maybe something worth looking into...

Old 08-28-2008, 08:28 AM
djam43
6th Gear
If you have to appear in person in Miami to file a report, you can get the Amtrack train from Jacksonville to Miami. Just bring the photo evidence with you.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:18 AM
swflaboy
4th Gear
Was visiting a friend in South Beach in the mid 90's and had a similar thing happen to my (rental) Mustang convertible. Stolen off the street, slashed this and that, found 2 days later abandoned.

Police report was the easiest part of the very frustrating 15 month ordeal to get AMEX to pay my $500 insurance deductible (as they promise to do if you rent using your card).

So sorry to hear about your troubles.....but get that police report.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:56 AM
Peprwhte
1st Gear
Sure hope you can get some satisfaction with this. I can't imagine much worse. We're pulling for you here. Hope everything comes out OK for you.

P.S. thanks for replying to my message about SAM....very helpful

Old 08-28-2008, 05:19 PM
enjoyingsilence
3rd Gear
Your welcome, and as I said, Vista Mini (dan, in service, a friend of one of my best friends, is amazing, and makes your experience well worth it), or Braman Mini. Both amazing dealerships, and they have been by my side thru all of this mess.

Granted, they've never been able to repair my issues, but they span outside the scope of 99% of service problems

Old 08-28-2008, 05:20 PM
enjoyingsilence
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by djam43
If you have to appear in person in Miami to file a report, you can get the Amtrack train from Jacksonville to Miami. Just bring the photo evidence with you.
the car has to appear in person, actually. lol. "in person". physically, in the metal.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:37 PM
Metalsmith
1st Gear
The subject of vehicle replacement did come up today, and unfortunately, if so, it wont' be a mini or BMW product :( I was actually seriously thinking about the hyundai genesis. (the v6 version). The premium "hifi" system in that car is actually, premium hifi quality. :P And it's a good car. imo... just a thought, or a far fetched hope, in the eyes of some.

Unresolved issues and problems with the car and you drive it 12 hours away.

WOW!

Then it gets vandalized and you drive it home, where it breaks down 3 times.

Just WOW.

You never file a police report.

No sympathy from me.

It sounds like you have some responsibility issues you need to clear up. I feel sorry for the next car you are getting.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:34 PM
enjoyingsilence
3rd Gear
Well technically Miami is a 5.5-6 hour drive from Jacksonville, lol.

It took 12 hours cause of the tranny issue (hmm sounds dirty ;P)

Meh.. sympathy wasn't wanted. It was more of a blog, to tell my story. Some people like to listen, and be like... wow I'm so glad i'm not that bloke.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:43 PM
Metalsmith
1st Gear
Well technically Miami is a 5.5-6 hour drive from Jacksonville, lol.

It took 12 hours cause of the tranny issue (hmm sounds dirty ;P)

3. The transmission, (automatic), sometimes does not shift, and fails to let me out of 3rd gear. Making it almost impossible to do over 60 miles an hour safely.
If you normaly drive 120 MPH I think we've found one of your underlying problems.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:56 AM
tinker_06
4th Gear
The whole story just seems.. odd.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:19 AM
richs10
5th Gear
Originally Posted by tinker_06
The whole story just seems.. odd.
Agreed. Very odd.
Almost unbelievable.

Last edited by richs10; 08-29-2008 at 10:42 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-29-2008, 07:10 AM
enjoyingsilence
3rd Gear
Which part? lol..... Actually, I tend to have some of the worst luck in the wold... partially cause I was a hellion (hellyun?) when I was younger.

However, some will be pleased to know, a certain dealership who took pity on me (one in South Florida, lol) is going to order the replacement parts, and to the best of their ability repair my cars damage (not the mechanics problem) at a significant discount. A courtesy due to the severe issues I've been having with the car.

It will be towed back down to South Florida, and prepared for trade in in a month or so.

Soooooo. .. there is a somewhat happy ending.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:44 AM
djam43
6th Gear
Which part? lol..... Actually, I tend to have some of the worst luck in the wold... partially cause I was a hellion (hellyun?) when I was younger.

However, some will be pleased to know, a certain dealership who took pity on me (one in South Florida, lol) is going to order the replacement parts, and to the best of their ability repair my cars damage (not the mechanics problem) at a significant discount. A courtesy due to the severe issues I've been having with the car.

It will be towed back down to South Florida, and prepared for trade in in a month or so.

Soooooo. .. there is a somewhat happy ending.
Glad to hear that the Florida dealership is helping you out with your problem. I myself have dealt with Bramman in West Palm Beach and found them to go beyond the norm to fix issues and please the customer.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:15 AM
enjoyingsilence
3rd Gear
I'm hoping for the best . . . . I really am.

Should take a while tho.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:39 AM
djam43
6th Gear
Let us know what the end result is

Quick Reply: R56 I write you from behind broken nav screens & shredded seats