R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Why did you name your car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 03:59 PM
DrewN
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a nickname for my Mini but I don't really feel the need to share it with everyone. My Mini knows it, though

Old 08-27-2008, 04:26 PM
gjhsu
5th Gear
Why do people name their pets? Or their children? It's just so you can identify it from the others

Old 08-27-2008, 04:58 PM
Cellardoor
2nd Gear
I haven't even received my car yet but her name is Saffron, she is a Mellow Yellow MCS so i feel like the name fit o so well!

-Hutch-

Old 08-27-2008, 04:58 PM
SparklingMINI2008
Neutral
Eva was the first name that came to mind. I was iffy on it for the longest time, but finally decided I liked the name about a month ago. It's just simple. 3 letters, quick, nimble, elegant.. Eva.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:03 PM
minimalistic
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by captsprocket
Donovan - Why? Cuz, They call me Mellow Yellow!
Oh nooooooooo! My Mellow Yellow MCS is named Donovan too!

I've never named my cars before but my MA told us he wouldn't hand over the keys until we named the car.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:24 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So many other MINIs here on NAM had names, it just seemed like an appropriate thing to do to add a bit more fun to owning and driving it.

My college-age, English major daughter is an accomplished writer and has always been a voracious reader. The Tolkien novels have always been among her favorites, as she's fascinated by the complexity of the cultures, lineages, and languages. How many other people actually have the Silmarillion memorized? When I brought my "white horse" home for the first time, the name Shadowfax was an obvious perfect fit for both of us. A quick search of the NAM forums indicated that the name was still unique, and the deal was done. The MINI became an extra little connection between my daughter and me.

The matching vanity plates have paid dividends too. A couple of weeks ago I was motoring along the highway ahead of a minivan. After about 10 minutes, the minivan raced up my left-hand side like it was going to pass, then suddenly slowed and matched my speed alongside. I got a bit nervous for a few moments not knowing their motivation for the radical maneuver, but when I glanced over, there was a woman in the passenger seat, wearing a big smile, holding up an improptu, hand-written sign to the window: GANDALF LIVES!

Obviously, that prompted an enthusiasitc from me!

Old 08-27-2008, 06:06 PM
Meg180
1st Gear
You have to name your car. I named my 08 astro black MCS....Bob. We also named by husbands 08 bmw 335xi...Mandy. We have a nice little family here.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:23 PM
zooki
2nd Gear
Heh, I have never named any of my cars before(well, I called my '69 stang the "Blue Bomb"). But when I optioned my car out on MINI's website, the name "Pugsley" came to mind. Like from the Addams Family, So there it is.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:23 PM
DEye
1st Gear
It already had a Name when i got it ... MINI Cooper ...

Old 08-27-2008, 06:29 PM
Ken G.
4th Gear
Originally Posted by minimalistic

I've never named my cars before but my MA told us he wouldn't hand over the keys until we named the car.
Ha! When I was at MTTS LA I found another Mini named Luigi, for the same reasons, too.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:30 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Tennessee Cutty
Jim
Yes you rang?

Great choice and it is an honor to have a car named after me.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:45 PM
futuremini
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I never thought I would name a car either but it just didn't seem right if he didn't have a name. His name is Rowan btw.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:53 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No matter how much I love it I would not name a car.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:06 PM
jdhesq
1st Gear
My wife insists that cars should be named.
As soon as I ordered Bailey immediately came to mind.
The Old Bailey is the criminal court of London. http://www.oldbaileyonline.org For PBS junkies it was immortalized in the British show, and books, Rumpole of the Bailey.
And don't forget Bailey from WKRP in Cincinnati...

Old 08-27-2008, 11:28 PM
CLum85
1st Gear
I named my MINI b/c the front grille and headlights makes it appear as if the car is smiling at me whenever I approach him. It was like a dog that was happy to see its owner. This canine personification made it impossible for me to view him as just a machine.

In the end I named him Hobbes b/c my name is Calvin and whenever we get together we get into trouble.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:33 PM
enjoyingsilence
3rd Gear
I named mine, Howard Hughes.

Why? Cause that was my nickname, when I was younger... and sometimes to date, by my family.

In hindsight, it's appropriate - the car is elusive, rarely seen (as it doesn't work majority), it's bipolar (hence it's on again / off again mechanics), a bit of an alcoholic (he does like the gas, lol).

I think it's quite appropriate. haha.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:35 PM
enjoyingsilence
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Cellardoor
I haven't even received my car yet but her name is Saffron, she is a Mellow Yellow MCS so i feel like the name fit o so well!

-Hutch-
Absolutely Fabulous fan?

Or a fan of Donovan?

Old 08-28-2008, 12:40 AM
jjp007
4th Gear
Originally Posted by callahan00
Mine had to be British so I ran through the gamut of British names and finally settled on "Nigel". My Garmin unit is set for the British voice and is referred to by all in my family as "Nigel's Brain". My license plate reflects my other interest and says "TH3 WHO".

Hmmm great minds think alike! I named my car Nigel for a few reasons, the first you mentioned. It is a very British name. My car is British Racing Green, even more British
The second reason is after my favorite Bass player Nigel John Taylor :D
I love the XTC Song Making Plans for Nigel, the lyrics sorta fit.

and also after Nigel Tufnel, my Mini goes to 11

and to those who don't want to name their Mini, fine but why do some people like to look down their noises at those who do. I've never named a car before, well my friends named my first horrendous car AMC GREEN HORNET but the Mini was something I've wanted for a while now and yes, he's taken on a personality of his own. For me, I said FOR ME, it's more then just a car.
Now go get in your Mini Cooper and motor on.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:41 AM
tinker_06
4th Gear
Originally Posted by cosmosmpower
Sea vessels are named for a purpose, they don't have license plates and are identified by the Coast Guard etc by name. When a cop pulls you over he doesn't check the DMV for any records linked to "Scrappy" he pulls your plate and drivers license #.
All boats have Registrations!! (at least here in FL) and the numbers are to be displayed on the vessel.

But anyway - I have never named a car - ever!! However, my MINI has personality - and she WILL have a name!

Old 08-28-2008, 05:13 AM
futuremini
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I guess when you think about it there really isn't any difference in naming a boat or naming a car. They say it is bad luck NOT to name a boat. Heck some people even name their homes/estates. And what about airplanes....

Old 08-28-2008, 07:12 AM
captsprocket
1st Gear
Originally Posted by minimalistic

Cool! Twins with the same name! My MA actually never even mentioned naming the car. I've never named my cars before and probably wouldn't have had it not been for this forum. Never really thought about doing it before, but the Mini just seems so appropriate to be named.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:28 AM
captsprocket
1st Gear
Originally Posted by cosmosmpower
People that name their cars have a strange complex. It's just a car like any other material possesion like a bar of soap for instance. It's just as silly as naming your toothbrush.
Yes, they may be material possessions, but a name differentiates that possession from others. Just like there are many different cars out on the roads, there are many different people out there as well. Each of us has different views on things. Some choose to name their vehicles, some do not. What might be viewed as "silly" to you, is something that has meaning to others. My Mini is the only possession that I have chosen to name. I feel it is one of the more unique possessions I possess and worthy of being different. What's so strange about that?

So don't name your numerous material possessions, but I think it's silly that you don't!

Old 08-28-2008, 07:59 AM
stan11003
2nd Gear
My car is named Winston, my girl named him.

Last edited by stan11003; 08-28-2008 at 08:18 AM.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:41 PM
Cellardoor
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by enjoyingsilence
Absolutely Fabulous fan?

Or a fan of Donovan?

AbFab is hilarious but Donovan was the main inspiration!

-Hutch-

Old 08-28-2008, 01:50 PM
jgarner53
4th Gear
See, I wanted to name our car Nigel, too (even read the lyrics to the XTC song to my husband!), and for Nigel Tufnel. But he thinks the car's name is Reg (as in short for Reginald). I still say we won't know until we meet him. I mean, Reg is your mate and all, but Nigel's got a bit more class (as I imagine our MINI does, with its English Oak trim and cream color line and leather seats).

Originally Posted by jjp007
Hmmm great minds think alike! I named my car Nigel for a few reasons, the first you mentioned. It is a very British name. My car is British Racing Green, even more British
The second reason is after my favorite Bass player Nigel John Taylor :D
I love the XTC Song Making Plans for Nigel, the lyrics sorta fit.

and also after Nigel Tufnel, my Mini goes to 11[B]

Quick Reply: R56 Why did you name your car?