R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Why did you name your car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 05:57 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LeahLuvsMINIs
I got my a car a year ago and I can't for the life of me pick a name! It was Cooper for abit and then I've switched through various names. .all guys. .and then i got a graphic put on the top that is a big heart with swirls and since i really don't see my car as a cross dresser i've switched to a girls name. . and I can't think of one!!! :p
right now im at stickers. . since i have a few on her and my friends call her that. .
how long did it take you guys to find a name???
It took me a little over 12 months...but the CAR told me what to name it. Don't force it, just go with the flow and it will tell you. It sounds totally bonkers, but...read this thread! I'm not the only one to think this. ONe day the name will pop into your head.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:06 AM
jbkoopa
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i named mine Koopa.
mainly cuz when i was bored i was just saying to myself:
"i own a mini coopaa yay"

so at that point i think about it.
"coopa? slang for cooper."
lol.

well, taht's sorta how it happened.
and then i remembered the character in Super Mario Bros.
Koopa.
those little shell thingies that mario would jump on and kick and it'd knock everything in its way off the platform.
youknow?

so yeah.
my car is named Koopa.
k is cooler than c and pronouncing the "ahh" instea of "er" after the "koop" seems pretty humorous.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:24 AM
AvidMINI
Seeing CHILI RED!
To date, I suppose I haven't really named my car. I refer to it as "The Wee Beast," but that's hardly a name. More of a description. I made the mistake of naming my '05 Mustang GT "Lucky" because I was able to get the car when the new style Mustangs were in high demand. Well, when times got lean and I couldn't afford it any more, I had to sell it. "Lucky's" luck had run out. Or mine had. In any case, I decided to never name a car using an adjective again.

I still think it's a tad odd that some people name their cars with common human names; it's almost like naming pets with human names. In fact, that's what I would prefer to do, name my car with a name typically associated with a pet. It's a little more neutral that way, IMO.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:55 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by AvidMINI
To date, I suppose I haven't really named my car. I refer to it as "The Wee Beast," but that's hardly a name. More of a description. I made the mistake of naming my '05 Mustang GT "Lucky" because I was able to get the car when the new style Mustangs were in high demand. Well, when times got lean and I couldn't afford it any more, I had to sell it. "Lucky's" luck had run out. Or mine had. In any case, I decided to never name a car using an adjective again.

I still think it's a tad odd that some people name their cars with common human names; it's almost like naming pets with human names. In fact, that's what I would prefer to do, name my car with a name typically associated with a pet. It's a little more neutral that way, IMO.
Sometimes it's not a matter of choice - it's what the car wants. (You know, the more I read my own posts, the more insane I actually sound. Hm.) I mean really, the "name" of my car is Mints. Is that REALLY a "name?" It's not something I would have come up with on my own...

Anyway, AVIDMini, your post brought to mind my mom. She volunteers at a local animal shelter, and has started her own "little dog rescue" service. She's actually very selective about the dogs she brings home, but the number of dogs is still pretty high -- she's up to I think 38 right now (she's been as high as 54!!!) SHe names them "common" human names if they don't have one (strays) or names that sound similar to their original names (abandoned - this is so they'll still react to the name.) The problem is: I've had to give her a list of names NOT to use, just so I can say my future children WEREN'T named after one of mom's dogs. (AND WE WONDER WHY I'M AS NUTTY AS I AM???) I also feed a colony of feral cats near my house. I've renamed one of them SPIKE -- after a really great cat I had as a kid...SPIKE (original) had a nickname, though..."Poochie."

Old 09-15-2008, 08:03 AM
AvidMINI
Seeing CHILI RED!
Too funny! My mom always got the unofficial title of "pet namer" in my house. She chose "Hector," "Lucy," "Samantha," and "McPherson" as names for our cats and dogs. I'm sure there were others, but those are the ones that immediately come to mind. As a child, I thought nothing of it, but as I grew older, I always wondered how strange it would have sounded to adults, calling my dog by a human name.

Of course, my favorite TV dog is named "Brian" so what do I know?

Old 09-15-2008, 09:50 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by AvidMINI
Too funny! My mom always got the unofficial title of "pet namer" in my house. She chose "Hector," "Lucy," "Samantha," and "McPherson" as names for our cats and dogs. I'm sure there were others, but those are the ones that immediately come to mind. As a child, I thought nothing of it, but as I grew older, I always wondered how strange it would have sounded to adults, calling my dog by a human name.

Of course, my favorite TV dog is named "Brian" so what do I know?
Well, just because I've given her that list of DON'T NAME THE DOG... doesn't mean she listens. I will say she's found some nice human names, but c'mon! That's a LOT of names! What's worse is when she's on the phone with my brother or I (there are only TWO of us), she'll call us by one of the dogs names -- or worse yet, run through a FEW of the dogs names before she gets to ours.

Here are some (to bring ourselves BACK on topic) for those who might be inspired by mom & her dogs to name your MINI:

Seth
Bridie
Meghan
Chip
Smoochy (deaf jack russell - can only hear the high squeek of CH sound)
Thaddeus
Keeley
Cinnamon
Kya
Molly
Fudge
Belle
Callie
Sarge (this is a tiny 3lb chiuaua who, as dad puts it, "knows when to hit the high ground.")
Minnie (very suspicious and ambushing rat terrier)
Becky
Emma
Blaze
Tessa
Grady
Taylor

Those are the ones I can remember....

Old 09-15-2008, 03:59 PM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
i kinda just chose Eva. I dont even get the car for like 6 more weeks but I havent thought of anything better in about a week. Sorta spun from the word aviation, and the winged emblems

Old 09-16-2008, 02:22 PM
TomBT
2nd Gear
Wife named it "My Precious" as she caresses the chrome ring around the speedometer.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:17 PM
jhbjrpdx
1st Gear
The "Blue Dude." I have this Big Lebowski thing in my head when I look at it.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:56 PM
Gluhwein
4th Gear
Originally the name that immediately sprang to mind when I first gazed upon my Mellow Yellow MINI was "The Honourable Sir Willoughby Ponsonby-Smythe III Esquire, formerly of Hangnail-on-the-Pinky". But I call him "Dudley" for short.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:11 PM
jbkoopa
3rd Gear
wow i saw another guy on motoringunderground who named his car the same name as mine.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:57 PM
Dwell
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jhbjrpdx
The "Blue Dude." I have this Big Lebowski thing in my head when I look at it.

im really into naming my mini, but i have to admit, this is probably the coolest name yet.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:02 PM
SPUNKY
2nd Gear
I named mine SPUNKY cause I used to have an R53 and when I test drove a 56 it had more spunk than the supercharged motor hence spunky

Old 09-26-2008, 09:56 AM
05MINI
4th Gear
It took about 3 months to name 05 MCS which I purchased used on June 6th of this year. I just called her Baby at first. But every time I drove her I would think "She's a nimble little minx" so I chose Gozer. I call her Baby Gozer now.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:07 PM
mysticturner
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
I never named my cars before, but my wife named most of her cars. I however was into naming my trucks. I once had a 1 ton, crew cab, long bed, mostly white that just had to be named Bigfoot. I can't remember the name of Bigfoot's predecessor. But to cars - my wife named our VW Golf Gretchen, which enabled us to refer to the smash & grab that occurred as Gretchen's rape. But to the more important things - MINIs!

Our first MINI was a 2006 MCS Chili Red named "Red Rover Come Over" or RRoCO. Unfortunately RRoCO gave her life to protect my wife. We are still sad when we think of her passing.

So we had to replace RRoCO. It occured about the time 2007's were coming out and I really didn't want to go to a new untried generation. So we looked at every 2006 we could find. Our dealer had one car named Tinkerbell (they name every car and you can keep the name or change it). The car was wrong, but the name was right. So we stole the name and put it on another car, a 2006 DS/BS MCS. I've even bought a Tinkerbell belt buckle and modified it to be a grill badge.

When I bought my MINI, I kept thinking of a statement that someone had made on one of these boards. "My MINI is my fuel injected fountain of youth". I've found this community and these cars to be just that - an invigorating youthful-izing experience. So about the time I ordered her, I set upon the fountain of youth theme. I settled on "Bimini". Bimini is the island where legend holds that Ponce DeLeon found the fountain of youth (but if you read my sig, you figured that out). I've never regretted the choice. I've even designed a name sticker for her, I just haven't made it yet.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:38 PM
Jenanhill
3rd Gear
PS/B 04 named Mouse. Small and grey, seemed like an obvious choice. 09 on order will be Duncan in honour of a large hairy Scotsman that I spent an evening with in a pub in Kilmarnock. 30 years ago. He left quite an impression on me, clearly.

I name my cars that have personality. Some do, some don't. MINI's of course, do. Always.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:24 AM
Ian Venieri
3rd Gear
I call mine LEMON and I will get a custom license plate to this effect to affix on the replacement car which is to be supplied by BMW sometime later this year.

In the unlikely event that the second car is not another LEMON it will still wear the license tag to warn the innocent. The car will carry at all times the folder containing all the gory service shop documentation just in case somebody wants to challenge the veracity of my statements.

Steaming angry? You bet. They've had my money since June 6 and I've been without a car for 78 out of 113 days and counting.

The replacement car was built 3 weeks ago and railed to Bremerhaven where it has since been waiting for passage to Brunswick. Covered in toxic sea gull guano.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:27 AM
r56mini
6th Gear
I had initially named mine because others on the forum did. But it's not in my culture and it didn't feel natural to refer my car with a name. I have not checked it with my church to see if it's against my religion but anyway I stopped using the name.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:20 AM
AvidMINI
Seeing CHILI RED!
Alright, I'll bite. What was the name?

Old 09-28-2008, 12:17 AM
SkinnyMINI
2nd Gear
Scooper..I know, not so original, but it's the first thing that popped into my head when I had to refer to my car as I was talking to my husband

Old 09-28-2008, 05:53 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why not name your Mini?

My JCW is nan\med "Little Red"
Ronnie

Old 09-28-2008, 07:33 PM
imnothng
1st Gear
I had to name mine Christine (as in the Book). A couple of months after buying it, we took a week long trip to Vegas and had a friend house sitting for use. Well we get this message from her telling us to call her when we get a chance. Well thinking the worst, we call her right away. She tells us that our car keeps opening the windows and sunroof by itself. Luckily we have great neighbours, so one of them came over and put a tarp over her until we got home.
So, the first thing I do when I get home is to grab the key and close it up. I wait for it to act up again, and wait, and wait, and to this day (three months later) it has never happened again.
I'm guessing she missed me so much that she was crying (floodgates "opening", lol). Anyway, just thought I would share that.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:08 AM
AvidMINI
Seeing CHILI RED!
Cool story!

Did you ever figure out what really was the cause of the odd window behavior?

Old 09-29-2008, 10:16 AM
imnothng
1st Gear
Nope, never did figure it out. The only thing we could think of, was we had a lot of thundershowers. So I'm thinking it had to do with more electricity in the air than normal. At first we were really freaked out about it. But after reading "things you didn't know about your Mini" thread, we found out it has that option (to open everything when you hold down the unlock button the remote), so at least it wasn't some WAYYYY out of the ballpark.

Old 09-29-2008, 02:19 PM
Mini is as Mini does
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Ian Venieri
I call mine LEMON and I will get a custom license plate to this effect to affix on the replacement car which is to be supplied by BMW sometime later this year.

In the unlikely event that the second car is not another LEMON it will still wear the license tag to warn the innocent. The car will carry at all times the folder containing all the gory service shop documentation just in case somebody wants to challenge the veracity of my statements.

Steaming angry? You bet. They've had my money since June 6 and I've been without a car for 78 out of 113 days and counting.

The replacement car was built 3 weeks ago and railed to Bremerhaven where it has since been waiting for passage to Brunswick. Covered in toxic sea gull guano.
Ian, I am almost afraid to ask this. What catastrophe befell your Lemon? More than one catastrophe?

Quick Reply: R56 Why did you name your car?