R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 So sad

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 11:00 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Is anyone else getting tired of reading posts from people who have brand new cars under warranty and are worried that something could go wrong?

For gods sake people, grow up, and in the case of the guys, grow a pair would you?

Cheeze louise!

Old 08-29-2008, 11:04 AM
todoubled
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
even kit from nightrider broke down occasionaly

Old 08-29-2008, 11:09 AM
r56mini
6th Gear
instant karma's gonna get you all...

Old 08-29-2008, 11:12 AM
gnatster
6th Gear
Actually ya'll would be surprised at the higher quality of American cars these days. Many of us have grown up in a time when it is sad to say the Big 3 made vehicles of lesser quality. In the past decade or so Ford and GM have caught up. Granted, it's not Honda like automotive appliance quality but it sure is a far sight of where it once was.

With an open mind go look at some of the latest offerings from Ford and GM, then come back and state they don't measure up. You can't.

The problem Ford and GM face now is bringing back people that would would never think of stepping foot in one of their showrooms. The product is on par with with imports. The features are there, the price points are there.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:16 AM
annasassy86
2nd Gear
uhh every car is going to give you problems... you might be the first person to ever say (besides my mom) that you'd rather have an american car. not being rude, but seriously, my mom is deadset on only buying american cars... it really limits her selection but she finally decided on a cadillac... it gives just as many problems. the point of our forums (and i'm sure you'd find this on any forum for any car) is to discuss problems we have to see if we are the only ones and to get advice on fixing those problems. if you noticed, we also talk about the things we like! and have fun with our MINIs.

i wouldn't get rid of your car. have you had any problems? unlikely. a lot of people drive their cars really hard. some problems are just unavoidable.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:24 AM
tinker_06
4th Gear
You really must be joking!! Have you even done an internet search on the recalls of ANY car (and there are more recalls with American made ) ?? The recalls on GM, Ford, Dodge, etc.. are BOUNTIFUL.

Go ahead - and google Ford recalls, GM recalls, etc.... You are on a public forum where people do voice things.. you have to weigh it ALL to make an informed decision.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:07 PM
Short Wait
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is it me or does this story sound fishy? I'm probably one of the oldest posters on this subject and say for a fact that I have owned a number of American and foreign cars over the past 40 plus years. From my own experience I can truly say without a doubt the latter has been much more dependable in quality, fit and finish and overall resale value. Do what you want and think what you may, it's your final say so and no one elses. There's always going to be pros and cons about everything but ...... Let me begin again. I took delivery of a new mcs three weeks ago even AFTER reading all the comments that I could possibly take in, good and bad. I bought the car because of the mileage, styling and safety reports. If it turns out to be a bad decision then I made it and no one twisted my arm as I'm sure no one probably did this to the op. It all boils down to if you like it then go for it. If it doesn't then you've just learned another lesson in life. Did you happen to read anything about the Mini before taking the plunge? It may have prevented any stress caused later. Put that puppy on Craig's list and let some lucky person have it. I'll bet it'll sells quick. Don't forget to tell us about your next vehicle!!!!

Old 08-29-2008, 12:50 PM
clnconcpts
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Red Dragoon
So you're getting rid of your MINI not because it has given you any problems, but because you're afraid it might give you problems down the road. Somehow I don't think you're made for the MINI. Best of luck finding a better car, you'll need it.

CROC 411
I said i'm thinking about getting rid of it.I dont want a car that has known issues with retarded things.This yellow goo is stupid.No other car has it.Why should i have to look at the car and clean it every time i drive it.Yes, many say the dealer will take care of the wreck panels.Looks like i also have to worry about my hood scoop disforming as well.But, I dont want to drive 140 miles 1 way to fix that.Or any other issues.
I'd like to upgrade my stereo with a sub and amp.There are mixed posts about how this can or cant be done.

Should have thought about that before buying.Their are tons of minis in my area,they should get a dealer in the area.
If there was one closer,I'd wouldnt worry about many of those issues.I dont have the time to waste on the round trip drive.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:12 PM
DSMCS
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by clnconcpts
I said i'm thinking about getting rid of it.I dont want a car that has known issues with retarded things.This yellow goo is stupid.No other car has it.Why should i have to look at the car and clean it every time i drive it.Yes, many say the dealer will take care of the wreck panels.Looks like i also have to worry about my hood scoop disforming as well.But, I dont want to drive 140 miles 1 way to fix that.Or any other issues.
I'd like to upgrade my stereo with a sub and amp.There are mixed posts about how this can or cant be done.

Should have thought about that before buying.Their are tons of minis in my area,they should get a dealer in the area.
If there was one closer,I'd wouldnt worry about many of those issues.I dont have the time to waste on the round trip drive.
Have you actually had ANY issues with your mini other than the cosmoline problem which will resolve itself after a while? All cars, domestics or imports have known problems. From my own experience, I have had better luck with my imports than with Ford and GM cars. 97 Mustang gt with KNOWN transmission issues for the 96-98 model years. 00 Trans Am with KNOWN differential issue.. Just a thought..

Old 08-29-2008, 01:19 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MINIs...all of them...are $19K cars that people option up to suit. It's easy to do. They used to be $18K cars. It's only a $30K car if you make it one. As for issues...well the others have addressed that.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:22 PM
clnconcpts
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DSMCS
Have you actually had ANY issues with your mini other than the cosmoline problem which will resolve itself after a while? All cars, domestics or imports have known problems. From my own experience, I have had better luck with my imports than with Ford and GM cars. 97 Mustang gt with KNOWN transmission issues for the 96-98 model years. 00 Trans Am with KNOWN differential issue.. Just a thought..
So far only the cosmoline problem.It gets old keeping towels and bug spray on hand and to clean it every time i drive and park it.I only have 1000 miles on the car,when does that problem go away.I live where its hot all the time.I dont want to have the panels replaced only to have to do it again.I dont have the time to run back and forth to the dealer.

I took the info posted on this board about the stereo issues to a few local shops , cause i want to install a amp and sub for the mini.They were clueless about that info

I know all about the American car issues.I hear about it and read about it in the paper all the time. I've owned 6 Gm cars and knock on wood have never had one issue with them.As i stated earlier,I might have been one of the few.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:24 PM
clnconcpts
4th Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
MINIs...all of them...are $19K cars that people option up to suit. It's easy to do. They used to be $18K cars. It's only a $30K car if you make it one. As for issues...well the others have addressed that.
Silly post.Obviously I made it a 30k car.I require certain features I dont see why thats an issue

Old 08-29-2008, 01:24 PM
DrewN
6th Gear
Ah, so what you're really saying is that there are tons of American car dealers in your area.

Seriously, when it all boils down to it, not having a dealer convenient in your area does stink, but it wouldn't be something that ultimately would deter me from Mini ownership. BUT that's just another schmoe's opinion.

EDIT: For some reason I never had the Cosmoline problem, I'm guessing my dealer took care of it prior to delivery. I'm not so sure it's a problem 100% across the board.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:35 PM
sirr6
4th Gear
All I have to say is you could/should have done your research before purchasing the car, I was on this site for a month before I ordered my car, and knew of the problems Mini was having on some of their cars.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:36 PM
tinker_06
4th Gear
Didn't you check where the MINI dealers are? There are only 82-83 Dealerships, so they are far and few between for a LOT of people. I have read post where some travel for 300-400 miles... to them, it is worth it. My dealer is about 80 miles away.. still a good hike, but I DID know that before I bought my Mini. If fact, I don't yet even have my Mini - but I am well aware of issues on SOME vehicles. I am hoping mine won't be one, but if it is - I am fully informed, and have peace of mind the issues will be fixed.

I understand that you may have buyers remorse... believe me, I have purchased many items with buyers remorse. You at least sound be able to get out of your purchase with little if any monetary loss. Then you can get your American car. Good luck!

Old 08-29-2008, 01:52 PM
clnconcpts
4th Gear
Originally Posted by tinker_06
Didn't you check where the MINI dealers are? There are only 82-83 Dealerships, so they are far and few between for a LOT of people. I have read post where some travel for 300-400 miles... to them, it is worth it. My dealer is about 80 miles away.. still a good hike, but I DID know that before I bought my Mini. If fact, I don't yet even have my Mini - but I am well aware of issues on SOME vehicles. I am hoping mine won't be one, but if it is - I am fully informed, and have peace of mind the issues will be fixed.

I understand that you may have buyers remorse... believe me, I have purchased many items with buyers remorse. You at least sound be able to get out of your purchase with little if any monetary loss. Then you can get your American car. Good luck!
I knew how far it was ,Didnt think these cars had that many silly issues.Sounds like many dont think the cosmoline problem is that big of a deal.Too me it is,I didnt spend 30k to have to wipe this crap off every time i drive my car.A new car is suppose to be maintance free.
I dont call it buyers remorse,I feel i shouldnt have to worry about the looks of my car-cosmoline and melting hood scoop.Its not like its a POS Hyundai,Its a bmw.
I just dont get why some of you are making me look like the bad guy,Mini has issues with their build and why should we have to put up with it?

Lets change topic a touch,I'd feel the same if any of my other cars had that problem,Its not something we the buyers should have to deal with.

If i had a engine problem or tranny problem,I understand that cause sometimes stuff happens.Its machanical and moving parts can develop issues.
Being a BMW product it should have higher standards then other car manufacturers do.People who buy these cars have a higher standard for their cars,thats why we spend the money.Thats why I've driven a Cadillac for the last 15 yrs.I like their cars and the are suppose to have a higher standard then the basic GM models do.I looked at the mini cause i wanted better fuel mileage and want to enjoy driving my car a touch more.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:52 PM
steveng
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm also going to sell my mini, but not because I don't like it or its been bad. The Mini has been problem free, but I have another vehicle thats paid for so Mini must go. Maybe someday when times are better I'll get another.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:57 PM
clnconcpts
4th Gear
Originally Posted by steveng
I'm also going to sell my mini, but not because I don't like it or its been bad. The Mini has been problem free, but I have another vehicle thats paid for so Mini must go. Maybe someday when times are better I'll get another.
If you like the car,why wouldnt you sell the other car and use the money towards the mini?

Old 08-29-2008, 01:58 PM
sirr6
4th Gear
Im gonna sell mine also, to get the all black one if it comes back out for 09.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:59 PM
DSMCS
2nd Gear
If you like the car,why wouldnt you sell the other car and use the money towards the mini?
The man has a point there

Old 08-29-2008, 02:35 PM
mauberley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DSMCS
The man has a point there
In the thread where steveng explains why he's parting with his MINI, he states he needs a vehicle that can do everything he needs it to do. The MINI does not meet that requirement.

Old 08-29-2008, 03:39 PM
captsprocket
1st Gear
I just dont get why some of you are making me look like the bad guy,Mini has issues with their build and why should we have to put up with it?
So let me ask you this: Exactly what kind of response did you expect to get when you come onto a Mini enthusiasts forum and bad mouth a car that certainly the vast majority find one of the most exhilirating vehicles we have ever owned? Did you think we would agree with you and say "oh yeah, you're right, the Mini has way to many potential issues that you should get rid of it?

Like my brother's old bumper sticker used to say: "I may not agree with your bumper sticker, but I'll defend till death, your right to STICK IT!"

Old 08-29-2008, 03:44 PM
sirr6
4th Gear
Sell the car plain and simple, Ill give you 5.00 as is, even with the cosmoline problem.

After joining this site and only having my car for under a month,I want to get rid of it.
Reading about all this silly issues on a 30K car,I dont want to deal with the problems.
Should have known better on not buying an american car.I've never own a foreign car and now know why I dont like them.

I have to worry about this stupid yellow goo dripping on my fender skirts,Hood scoop melting,Finding an exhaust that doesnt give me a CEL.Lame Speaker issues on Hi fi.

I could write a book on problems with this BMW car that we shouldnt have to deal with.
Now,If I can find a sucker to buy these problems and I go back to my American heritage

Old 08-29-2008, 03:52 PM
richs10
5th Gear
Cinconcpts:

I think you are hung up with the "What if". Get out there and drive your essentially problem free, $30,000 luxed-out MINI!

I came out of an essentially problem free, 7 year old Dodge, BUT IT WAS BORING ME TO DEATH!

I just drove home in the rain on a "Friday DC Holiday Weekend Rush Hour". Bumper to Bumper. Stop and Go. Took me three times as long as normal. I hardly noticed. I just loved being in my Clubbie.

Best of all, when we go to trade these cars in down the road, it looks like we will do very well on re-sale. (My Dodge SUV lost 1/2 of its value in 2 months)

So, go wipe the cosmoline off your bumper.
Enjoy the coolest damn car you've ever owned.
And for cripe's sake, QUIT WHINING!

Old 08-29-2008, 03:55 PM
clnconcpts
4th Gear
Originally Posted by captsprocket
So let me ask you this: Exactly what kind of response did you expect to get when you come onto a Mini enthusiasts forum and bad mouth a car that certainly the vast majority find one of the most exhilirating vehicles we have ever owned? Did you think we would agree with you and say "oh yeah, you're right, the Mini has way to many potential issues that you should get rid of it?

Like my brother's old bumper sticker used to say: "I may not agree with your bumper sticker, but I'll defend till death, your right to STICK IT!"
Maybe you should read a few other posts.I also stated with buying a 30 K car should we as owners have to deal with this stupid issue that mini can fix in their build. If BMW can ship their own brand cars in a car cover to protect against salt water and stuff,why cant they do that as well for the beloved mini owners? Why should we have to suffer?

I didnt spend 30k to have to worry about if my paint or other parts will be ruined.Obviously you are ok with spending your money and having your car ruined.
Again,would you spend 150k for a Ferrari and have to deal with the cosmoline issue?Dont think you would be happy!

Quick Reply: R56 So sad