R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 So sad

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 09:19 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear OP....

I'm sorry you are unhappy with your MINI. I guess they are not for everyone. You made a mistake buying one & for that I feel sorry for you. It is a shame you will take a bath selling it for a better American car. But I understand you have to do what is right for you.

I would suggest a new Toyota Camry, as reliable as an appliance. Unfortunately they're about as fun to drive as one too.

Good luck & enjoy your new car, whatever you choose.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:59 AM
HerboS
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took a look at your gallery. I like your car. It would be a great addition to my stable. I will be glad to be the sucker to take if off your hands. How about a quick 15k and its no longer your problem. Since it is such a piece of crap, I am will to put up with all this just to help you out.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:56 AM
amazonracer
4th Gear
Let me get this straight, you read about problems but have no problems but are anticipating some so therefore you want to get rid of a new car? You need to re evaluate why you were drawn to the car originally and relax. We all know its not a Honda and that's why so many Mini owners love the cars. I just had my first service at 18,000 miles and no problems so far. FYI,I was waiting for a ride at the dealership and I was sitting by this woman who was on the phone with someone and could not help listening to the entire conversation. She went on to bash here convertable Mini and the quality she found to be suspect. Although here car is 2-3 years old (kept changing in here conversation) and mine is not a convertable and a 2007, people have different perspectives. I just traded a SUV (GM make) for my wifes Lexus for other reasons than dependability. All my life all I have ever heard is that American made cars "suck". However, my experience was quite the opposite. Just my 2 cents. Good luck

Old 08-30-2008, 11:02 AM
clnconcpts
4th Gear
Originally Posted by surfblue
clnconcpts, the NAM forum members took a vote and I am thrilled to announce that your Mini has OFFICIALLY been named: (envelope please)...

COSMO!
Thats good.I was thinking along the line of Kramer

Old 08-30-2008, 11:39 AM
clnconcpts
4th Gear
Originally Posted by amazonracer
Let me get this straight, you read about problems but have no problems but are anticipating some so therefore you want to get rid of a new car? You need to re evaluate why you were drawn to the car originally and relax. We all know its not a Honda and that's why so many Mini owners love the cars. I just had my first service at 18,000 miles and no problems so far. FYI,I was waiting for a ride at the dealership and I was sitting by this woman who was on the phone with someone and could not help listening to the entire conversation. She went on to bash here convertable Mini and the quality she found to be suspect. Although here car is 2-3 years old (kept changing in here conversation) and mine is not a convertable and a 2007, people have different perspectives. I just traded a SUV (GM make) for my wifes Lexus for other reasons than dependability. All my life all I have ever heard is that American made cars "suck". However, my experience was quite the opposite. Just my 2 cents. Good luck
I'm not comparing this car to the American family at all.My complaint is I dont think its right for mini to pass on to their customers cars that drip this cosmoline.Its a drag to have to clean up every time We drive the car.It should never have to happen and we as mini owners shouldnt have to clean up their mess.The other issue is I dont think we should also have to worry If our scoops will distort on us.Think about it,you come out from work and you admire your car and notice the scoop is now distorted,kinda of bums you and and your car is now injured.They other thing is the stereo issue,Been reading up and havent been able to find that right answers on this anomaly issue on the rear channels producing strange sound waves.Unsure which cars are affected.Regardless of which models,we shouldnt have to suffer.That problem shouldnt exist.
I've never said the car wasnt fun to drive,Its just a drag to have to be concered about silly things.Its embarrassing To roll up somewhere and notice someone checking out you car and they look at this yellow goo dripping on the fender flares and they ask what and why.

When I mentioned the American cars,I've been fotunate to never have silly issues with my cars and feel I shouldn't have to put up with mini providing me with these issues.Mini is suppose to have a higher standard then the other cars on the road.Shouldnt it?

Old 08-30-2008, 12:08 PM
ColoFalcon
1st Gear
At this point...

...I don't think it's about the car-- it's about the driver.

K.

Old 08-30-2008, 12:11 PM
clnconcpts
4th Gear
Obviously you have no pride in the car you drive.I do and dont feel we should have to deal with silly things.Thats all its about.

Old 08-30-2008, 12:14 PM
DanF
5th Gear
I never read anywhere that MINI has a higher standard than other cars on the road. Where did you read this? BMW owns MINI, the MINI is not a BMW though and if you think it's built to BMW standards your kidding yourself. The MINI is the least expensive car you can buy in the US that is made in Europe. Until 2007 consumer reports results were released MINI was always below average in reliability.

I don't know though, it sounds to me like you got a pretty good one. Cosmoline drip......wooowwww big problem.

Old 08-30-2008, 12:22 PM
richs10
5th Gear
Originally Posted by clnconcpts
Obviously you have no pride in the car you drive.I do and dont feel we should have to deal with silly things.Thats all its about.

By silly things, I guess you mean this thread.
All this 'agita' over some cosmoline drips? Oye Vey!

Good luck with your MINI. I'm done.

Old 08-30-2008, 12:28 PM
clnconcpts
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DanF
I never read anywhere that MINI has a higher standard than other cars on the road. Where did you read this? BMW owns MINI, the MINI is not a BMW though and if you think it's built to BMW standards your kidding yourself. The MINI is the least expensive car you can buy in the US that is made in Europe. Until 2007 consumer reports results were released MINI was always below average in reliability.

I don't know though, it sounds to me like you got a pretty good one. Cosmoline drip......wooowwww big problem.
Thanks for the info,I was told it was built by BMW.Guess the person who told me this was uninformed.

What i dont get is why do some feel its acceptable to be inconvenience by this cosmoline stuff?Plus I'm not saying I, I'm saying why we as a mini community should have to put up with this?

Yes, I said I should get rid of it ,I said this out of being fed up with the inconvenience of it. It's tiresome to have to clean it up everyday.I take pride in how my car looks and this doesnt make the car look good.I'm Not complaining about the drive ability of the car.That part is fun.

Old 08-30-2008, 12:38 PM
Dwell
4th Gear
I've worked on all the cars I've owned- nothing super technical, but doing brakes, oil filter and spark plugs, so I've done the low mechanical stuff, and have to say no car is without fault. The most reliable car I've owned thus far is my Lexus- that car just keeps going. I'm not sure what American car you consider bulletproof, but the only American car I ever bought was a Chevy SS Silverado. That's about the only American brand I would trust and it would have to be a truck. The thing was a tank. Unfortunately, it was found in South Central Los Angeles without 95% of its parts.

Still, it would be very difficult to give up a car based on NAM complaints, when 1.) its less than 1% of the Mini population 2.) NAM posters are usually psychotic (hahaha, in a good way), and can list some pretty ridiculous "problems" with their minis that wouldn't phaze the typical Mini driver 3.) if you haven't had any issues with your Mini, why complain? Each car on the road will one day break down- its a matter of time. Accept that and have fun in the meantime. Take car of your car and it will take care of you.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:04 PM
WC50 408
4th Gear
clnconcpts first the goop dripping should have been power washed out at ther VDC/port when the mini first arrived, there have and continue to be some problems with port at Oxnard Ca. It will not continue for ever, maybe another month or so. Second the melting hood scoops problem has been corrected with opening up the False inlet in the hood, addition of insulation on the hood around the scoop and lastly the software change to increase the run time of cooling fans once the engine has been shut down. Finally the Mini is wholely owned by BMW, built in the UK and most if not all parts in it are stamped or tagged BMW. Anyway don't get so caught up in all you read here this forum sometimes becomes the wailing wall. Have fun enjoy your car and when you get a chance make an appt. with your dealer and they will clean out the door and fender panels so protectant doesn't continue to melt out.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:09 PM
zedaristo
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol, this post just made my afternoon

Old 08-30-2008, 01:21 PM
Mr Ray
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Gmann2369
clnconcpts first the goop dripping should have been power washed out at ther VDC/port when the mini first arrived, there have and continue to be some problems with port at Oxnard Ca. It will not continue for ever, maybe another month or so. Second the melting hood scoops problem has been corrected with opening up the False inlet in the hood, addition of insulation on the hood around the scoop and lastly the software change to increase the run time of cooling fans once the engine has been shut down. Finally the Mini is wholely owned by BMW, built in the UK and most if not all parts in it are stamped or tagged BMW. Anyway don't get so caught up in all you read here this forum sometimes becomes the wailing wall. Have fun enjoy your car and when you get a chance make an appt. with your dealer and they will clean out the door and fender panels so protectant doesn't continue to melt out.
Has MINI acutually done all this (insulation and opened up the scoops) Im still waiting for my '09 and was considering the after market turbo insulation if it dosent effect the warrenty.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:24 PM
amazonracer
4th Gear
I do agree with the original poster in some aspects. This car may not be technically a BMW but they sure want to associate with BMW. My recent service in Santa Ana has BMW written all over it. I also may have a different perspective if I had problems but I just haven't so far. I too have been concerned with this web site in regards to problems but purchased in spite of some of the negative postings, real or potential problems. I have actually found my self not wanting to participate in NAM because I didn't want to here about problems or negative aspects of my Mini. Bottom line is that for me this is the most interesting car I have ever owned and continues to be. If my engine blows up tomorrow, maybe it won't be so interesting.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:24 PM
clnconcpts
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Gmann2369
So, the first scoops on the newer model was completely blocked off?And now the newer ones have some access holes in it to allow for air flow?

Old 08-30-2008, 01:29 PM
clnconcpts
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mr Ray
Has MINI acutually done all this (insulation and opened up the scoops) Im still waiting for my '09 and was considering the after market turbo insulation if it dosent effect the warrenty.
I just looked at my hood scoop opening and see a few holes in it.Doesnt seem enough for me,but it is open to a certain degree.And I do have this insulation pad,but it appears to block off the air flow?Maybe I cant see far enough to see its open on the back end.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:32 PM
leicaguy
4th Gear
Bye Bye

Old 08-30-2008, 01:34 PM
Mr Ray
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by clnconcpts
I just looked at my hood scoop opening and see a few holes in it.Doesnt seem enough for me,but it is open to a certain degree.And I do have this insulation pad,but it appears to block off the air flow?Maybe I cant see far enough to see its open on the back end.
I was actually speaking of the '09's because people with late '08's were still having the problem so this would have been a very recent fix if done by MINI

Old 08-30-2008, 01:44 PM
clnconcpts
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mr Ray
I was actually speaking of the '09's because people with late '08's were still having the problem so this would have been a very recent fix if done by MINI
How it was explained to me in this thread is it affects the early 08 cars?supposedly,it was fixed middle of the year?I'm unsure of the facts,but thats what i thought i read

Old 08-30-2008, 01:56 PM
quemas
2nd Gear
Hasta La Vista BABY.

Here's the list on resale "values" from MSN. There's a best and worse list. #3 on the best list is Mini. No mention of cosmoline complaints though.

http://finance.yahoo.com/loans/artic...-Holding-Value

Old 08-30-2008, 02:06 PM
DanF
5th Gear
I don't have an S but from what I have read on here the hood scoop was opened up somewhere around feb-march of 07. It was only the 1st couple of months of R56s production that had the closed hood scoops.

Old 08-30-2008, 02:21 PM
Mr Ray
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by DanF
I don't have an S but from what I have read on here the hood scoop was opened up somewhere around feb-march of 07. It was only the 1st couple of months of R56s production that had the closed hood scoops.
People with '08 clubmans were still having the problem.( I beleive built as late as June) I know they did fix the fan software and opened up the scoop but that turbo really needs a better heat shield on it. I was just wondering if MINI had come up with there solution yet. I would hate to have MINI tell me well your tubo failed and isnt covered because of the after market shield.

Old 08-30-2008, 03:30 PM
JKCMCS062308
2nd Gear
The Cosmoline Poster Child

OK - this is too hilarious. Mr. Concepts, I think you are now better known as the Cosmoline Poster Child. Please proudly accept this new name and enjoy the MINI for once and stop being a yenta... Oy givalt! just motor on or get an agent because you can get rich with all this attention you are getting.

Cheers!

Old 08-30-2008, 03:45 PM
Grape82
1st Gear
I too am looking for the perfectly engineered car from a perfectly engineered production facility that uses 5000-8000 perfect parts that are assembled by 500+ perfectly trained factory workers who are having a perfect day. That ain't going to happen.....welcome to earth!

Quick Reply: R56 So sad