R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 So sad

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 03:46 PM
DanF
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clnconcpts
Siily boy,Its not about the time.It does wipe off easy,but Mine has a permanent stain on the fender flares from the cosmoline.
So, if your flares are stained from it?you are ok with that?
Lots of people on here have gotten stains on their fenders, myself included. This is the nature of textured black plastic. I got some wax on one of mine, left a white stain. I didn't rant and rave about it for 3 days on here though. I looked in the detailing section for ideas. I tried some of those ideas and they work. I have seen some of those ideas on this thread also. I've also seen some suggestions on how to stop the cosmoline from dripping.

I am wondering one thing, have you actually tried any of these suggestions given to you on this thread? Or would just like to keep on complaining.

Old 09-01-2008, 04:34 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ever heard of Black Wow ??? www.black-wow.com

It was developed for the MINI in the MINI community by a MINI owner and his father. Works great even if I do say so myself.

Might want to take a peek into the Detailing101 section here on NAM--tons of advice on how to keep our rides looking perfect.

Richard

Siily boy,Its not about the time.It does wipe off easy,but Mine has a permanent stain on the fender flares from the cosmoline.
So, if your flares are stained from it?you are ok with that?

Old 09-01-2008, 05:13 PM
clnconcpts
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DanF
Lots of people on here have gotten stains on their fenders, myself included. This is the nature of textured black plastic. I got some wax on one of mine, left a white stain. I didn't rant and rave about it for 3 days on here though. I looked in the detailing section for ideas. I tried some of those ideas and they work. I have seen some of those ideas on this thread also. I've also seen some suggestions on how to stop the cosmoline from dripping.

I am wondering one thing, have you actually tried any of these suggestions given to you on this thread? Or would just like to keep on complaining.
Because you were the one that caused the white stain. Big difference.Amazing ,you are comparing something that you caused to something that I have no control over at that time.I'm no longer complaining,Just defending my beliefs .

Old 09-01-2008, 05:15 PM
clnconcpts
4th Gear
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
Ever heard of Black Wow ??? www.black-wow.com

It was developed for the MINI in the MINI community by a MINI owner and his father. Works great even if I do say so myself.

Might want to take a peek into the Detailing101 section here on NAM--tons of advice on how to keep our rides looking perfect.

Richard
Yes, I've seen it and thought about it.Seems a bit pricey .Yes, it will keep the black trim looking nice,but it wont remove the stain.Will it?

Old 09-01-2008, 05:33 PM
FlyingZ06
3rd Gear
Go to Audi and drive one of their POS cars!!! See ya!

Old 09-01-2008, 05:50 PM
Mr Ray
3rd Gear
3M™ General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner
ITEM #08987 15 oz
Price: $ 9.49 for Qty:

Related Items

No Related Items

Item Details:
Now in a convenient aerosol. 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner is safe to use on cured paint. Takes off road tar, adhesive, new car cosmoline, wax and other contaminates quickly and without a fuss.

http://www.goodspeedmotoring.com/?pa...ent%20Cleaners

Old 09-01-2008, 06:35 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Black Wow - I haven't used it on cosmoline, since our MINIs stopped dripping before I bought BW for the first time, but it does a great job on removing wax stains from the textured black trim, so it wouldn't surprise me if it worked on the cosmoline as well.

3M Adhesive Cleaner - This is what I used to remove the cosmoline drippings from our cars. Works great, but be very careful if you use it under the hood. The body-colour paint under the hood is water-based, and unlike the paint on the rest of the car, it is *not* clearcoated.

Before using any solvents under the hood, put a little bit on a paper towel and lightly rub an inconspicuous spot to see if it's going to lift the paint.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:46 PM
Calmante
3rd Gear
This thread needs to die.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:43 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Calmante

Old 09-01-2008, 08:03 PM
richs10
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Calmante
It was coughing up blood last night, but got better.

(Monty Python)

Old 09-01-2008, 08:10 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
The cleaners in it will remove stains--unless the plastic itself has been deformed/etched by the cosmoline--which I've seen.

At MOTD last year, I removed cosmoline stains on the trim of a GP using my BW, and on an R56, BW improved the look to the point that the owner didn't notice the stain. The cosmoline was removed--but there was still a faint impression left behind. But the trim looked 100% better which evened out the look of it as well.

One bottle of BW will likely last the life of your MINI. A bottle of car wax at $22.95 will last a couple of years. A bottle of car polish at $14 will last a few cars. I've had trim products that after a year turned to water and had to be thrown out...

Richard

Yes, I've seen it and thought about it.Seems a bit pricey .Yes, it will keep the black trim looking nice,but it wont remove the stain.Will it?

Old 09-01-2008, 09:05 PM
clnconcpts
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mr Ray
3M™ General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner
ITEM #08987 15 oz
Price: $ 9.49 for Qty:

Related Items

No Related Items

Item Details:
Now in a convenient aerosol. 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner is safe to use on cured paint. Takes off road tar, adhesive, new car cosmoline, wax and other contaminates quickly and without a fuss.

http://www.goodspeedmotoring.com/?pa...ent%20Cleaners
I browsed that site after I posted another part of it in the paint section.I was checking out this product
Stoner Xenit cleaner and remover. I found a few gun web sites that talk of this cosmoline being used on antique guns.Some say use a citrus based cleaner.They also said to use a hand held steamer to clean it up.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:10 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I found a few gun web sites that talk of this cosmoline being used on antique guns.Some say use a citrus based cleaner.They also said to use a hand held steamer to clean it up.
Steam-cleaning is how it's removed at the VDC. Then, it's collected and used as fuel to heat the water for the steam-cleaners (which I thought was pretty neat).

Old 09-02-2008, 03:21 AM
Froglips
1st Gear
I can totally understand what you are going through, OP.

I too had these feelings after reading about all of these "Possible" issues that I "Could" experience with my MINI in the future. My stomach tightened up, and I felt like I had made a huge mistake not buying another "Super-Dependable-Japanese" automobile instead.

Then my hood scoop melted too!

I do not know any other way to decribe my feelings toward my MINI other than to say that it is exactly the same way I felt as a child when I first saw the original "Herbie The Love Bug" movies. I know Y'all will probably think I am a little nuts when I say this, but my MINI is actually alive to me. Not just a car, but a Laser-Blue bestest-buddy that I look after as though it were my actual child.

It is not, Zigy's, fault that BMW/MINI are a bunch of greedy, self centered, uncaring, a-holes!

You do not get rid of a family member when they become defective, do you? NO! You either fix them, or tie them up in the shed for the rest of their lives!

Old 09-02-2008, 03:59 AM
richs10
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Froglips
You do not get rid of a family member when they become defective, do you? NO! You either fix them, or tie them up in the shed for the rest of their lives!

Old 09-02-2008, 08:08 AM
Mr Ray
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by richs10
And they say New York City is a scary place, I think I'll just cross Arizona of my list of places to vist, or aleast avoid the sheds attics and basements

Old 09-02-2008, 08:22 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Actually, if one is cheesed off because they are having to wipe off cosmolene dribbles all the time, that probably is a good thing .....it means you are actually making an effort to keep up with it, especially in summer when it is hot. Soon enough it will be gone. The folks who have more real trouble are the ones who do not keep up with it at all....they may be less perturbed/happier, but their black trim risks being damaged.

It's true, the cosmolene should be dealt with before we take delivery of our cars (and most of it is), but if you make it just a portion of your wheel cleaning regimen, you'll get no permanent staining/swelling on the black trim and before you know it the whole matter will be behind you.

Should the worst happen, yes, MINI is replacing pieces (which means they see this as their issue, not yours).

In the end it's all good, your MINI will wind up looking great....and you have a chance to become as neurotic as the rest of us...a condition that serves one well over the course of many years of ownership.