R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 So sad

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 08:52 AM
clnconcpts
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So sad

After joining this site and only having my car for under a month,I want to get rid of it.
Reading about all this silly issues on a 30K car,I dont want to deal with the problems.
Should have known better on not buying an american car.I've never own a foreign car and now know why I dont like them.

I have to worry about this stupid yellow goo dripping on my fender skirts,Hood scoop melting,Finding an exhaust that doesnt give me a CEL.Lame Speaker issues on Hi fi.

I could write a book on problems with this BMW car that we shouldnt have to deal with.
Now,If I can find a sucker to buy these problems and I go back to my American heritage

Old 08-29-2008, 08:56 AM
bhelton
4th Gear
It was nice havin' ya! Good luck in your search for a problemless American car.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:00 AM
Bluturtle
2nd Gear
The yellow goo was taken care of quickly when I took my car in to have it serviced. I pointed it out, they detailed it, and they sent me home with a grease remover from their shop just in case.

As to the other problems--cars are cars. They all have pluses and minuses. My Jetta had a fan blow up in the engine. My Ford had issues with the fuel pump. Mom's Range Rover has issues with the suspension system. All good cars, but each with their own issues. However, I would not trade the fun I have driving my MINI nor the excellent gas mileage for a run of the mill American made car.

Nevertheless, good luck with your new car....

Old 08-29-2008, 09:01 AM
INSOC
1st Gear
Good Luck!

Glad to hear you know what you want in a car!

Old 08-29-2008, 09:05 AM
captsprocket
1st Gear
Good luck with that!

Haven't found too many American cars that can stand up to a foreign car in terms of quality. I'll take my Mini over a Ford, Chevy, Dodge, etc. anyday. But, that's why they make so many different cars. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:12 AM
hdvato
3rd Gear
Bah-Bye

Old 08-29-2008, 09:17 AM
matty125
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good luck finding ANY American car that wont let you at the side of the road broke down. You also should know that a 30 Thousand $ American car is worth 18 grand 1 year later. Perhaps when you find one reliable you can post the make so we all can take a look. Once again best wishes to you, how much you selling yours for?

Old 08-29-2008, 09:21 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Don't forget that there have been over two million MINIs sold, and there are only a couple thousand regular posters here on NAM. Nothing you read here, good or bad, can fairly claim to represent the quality of MINI in general.

Plus, you hear a lot more about peoples' problems on a forum like this than you hear about the trouble-free miles. I know I'd be frightened after reading some of the posts here, but if I just look at our two MINIs, the only problems we've had personally are a failed wheel-speed sensor (her car), and a leaking motor mount and very intermittent wiper motor problem (mine). That's with about 30k miles on her MINI and about 40k on mine, so I'm pretty happy.

Last edited by ScottRiqui; 08-29-2008 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:26 AM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You must realize that the problem-filled posts you've read on this site are all from the few MINI owners who have problems, seeking answers from their MINI-owning piers. There are so many more of us who don't need to post threads entitled, "50,000 miles, and still problem-free!!!". What do you expect?

As to American cars being so decidedly better in terms of quality and reliability... Hmmm, I'd love to know your source on that "fact".

It sounds to me like you're bitter, and probably are experiencing buyer's remorse and/or guilt for not buying American like you usually do. If that is the case, than I echo the other comments, in saying good luck finding the problem-free American car of your dreams.

The MINI is not without its' problems and glitches. Most of us know that, (especially the owners of the early first generation cars). The fact is that we love the fun-to-drive experience so much, that it far outweighs any problems we've had. That is how I look at it, at least.

I would venture a guess, that you don't place "fun-to-drive" very high up on your want list for a car.

As I'm fond of saying: "Life is too short to drive a boring car"

Old 08-29-2008, 09:37 AM
gaston
2nd Gear
I've owned many many cars and have found the MINI to be quite well built. I don't expect any car to be perfect.

I'm on my second (2003 MC, followed by 2007 MCS) and have driven over 60k miles total. I've only had a few minor issues, the sort of things you'll find in any car. I've never been stranded by my MINI and all problems have been quickly dispatched under warranty by East Bay MINI. Its a great car, great fun to drive, and great resale value.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:50 AM
clnconcpts
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
Don't forget that there have been over two million MINIs sold, and there are only a couple thousand regular posters here on NAM. Nothing you read here, good or bad, can fairly claim to represent the quality of MINI in general.

Plus, you hear a lot more about peoples' problems on a forum like this than you hear about the trouble-free miles. I know I'd be frightened after reading some of the posts here, but if I just look at our two MINIs, the only problems we've had personally is a failed wheel-speed sensor (her car), and a leaking motor mount and very intermittent wiper motor problem (mine). That's with about 30k miles on her MINI and about 40k on mine, so I'm pretty happy.
You are more likely right.It just su*ks that I read about all this silly issues.All the Caddys Ive owned or Gm cars,I've never had one issue.Could have been just lucky.

Why are these cars so touchy?I want an exhaust,but dont want to worry about a cel.I live 140 miles from a dealer and not driving back and forth everytime i have a issue

Old 08-29-2008, 09:59 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by clnconcpts
You are more likely right.It just su*ks that I read about all this silly issues.All the Caddys Ive owned or Gm cars,I've never had one issue.Could have been just lucky.

Why are these cars so touchy?I want an exhaust,but dont want to worry about a cel.I live 140 miles from a dealer and not driving back and forth everytime i have a issue
I can't speak intelligently about the R56, but I can say that with the earlier cars, getting a CEL as a result of a simple cat-back exhaust is exceedingly rare. My exhaust isn't even a "name-brand" setup - I just went to the local muffler shop and had them fab up 2.5" piping from the cat back, and slap in a small off-the-shelf muffler. No engine lights, ever.

Now, if you start doing things like bypassing the catalytic converters and installing an O2 simulator, or replacing the cats with high-flow aftermarket pieces, of course your chances of tripping some kind of engine warning go way up.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:59 AM
surfblue
4th Gear
Quit READING and go DRIVING

Surfblue says:
On behalf of the entire NAM group, I want to apologize for the pain that READING about "silly issues" brings you. Are you serious? Go look at any forum...try Toyota. There's PLENTY of B*TCHING GOING ON.
I just looked at your posts and I don't see YOU having any big problems. Stay off this forum and go drive your car. Be aware that this forum attracts problems rather than praise...it's just the nature of people. I live 160 miles from my dealer and he hasn't seen me since a week after I got the car in May of 07. Do you really think these little bombers would be flying off the lot and having such high resale value if they were truly bad cars?? Geez.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:02 AM
bhelton
4th Gear
After joining this site and only having my car for under a month,I want to get rid of it.
Reading about all this silly issues on a 30K car,I dont want to deal with the problems.
Should have known better on not buying an american car.I've never own a foreign car and now know why I dont like them.

I have to worry about this stupid yellow goo dripping on my fender skirts,Hood scoop melting,Finding an exhaust that doesnt give me a CEL.Lame Speaker issues on Hi fi.

I could write a book on problems with this BMW car that we shouldnt have to deal with.
Now,If I can find a sucker to buy these problems and I go back to my American heritage
What's funny is that the OP never claims to have had any of the problems he/she listed. Sounds like somebody you could scare out of buying just about any car

Old 08-29-2008, 10:03 AM
Apple
6th Gear
Have Fun, American cars will Never give you any trouble at all,

Old 08-29-2008, 10:11 AM
clnconcpts
4th Gear
Originally Posted by surfblue
Surfblue says:
On behalf of the entire NAM group, I want to apologize for the pain that READING about "silly issues" brings you. Are you serious? Go look at any forum...try Toyota. There's PLENTY of B*TCHING GOING ON.
I just looked at your posts and I don't see YOU having any big problems. Stay off this forum and go drive your car. Be aware that this forum attracts problems rather than praise...it's just the nature of people. I live 160 miles from my dealer and he hasn't seen me since a week after I got the car in May of 07. Do you really think these little bombers would be flying off the lot and having such high resale value if they were truly bad cars?? Geez.
I have no desire to read about Toyota's,Honda's,Subaru's or any Japanese car,Not my type.
I only joined here to learn where to buy stuff to mod the car.From what i've read seems most mods cause a problem with the ECU.I have No retail store close by me to go learn about the products for these cars.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:13 AM
minim8o
4th Gear
hahahaha... I could be writing a long time listing the things that either went wrong [very wrong] or literally FELL OFF our early 90's Seville.... went German @ the end of the 90s and never regretted it. Me, I judge a vehicle by the condition it maintains up towards & well over 100K miles.

A person I became freinds w/@ work -- not knowing my history with cars many years prior -- had said in response to hearing I was considering a CTS-V [because it had a manual tranni] "don't buy, lease, because you'll want to get rid of it by 40K or 50K miles after things start falling off it." Ya, "!!!!" is what I thought & "hahahaha" is what I said. Independent corroboration is what that is... This, about the supposed "premier" GM brand.
.... & u wanna get rid of a car just after reading about things from the off'times very vocal minority?

Old 08-29-2008, 10:18 AM
BrendenCO
Neutral
All the Caddys Ive owned or Gm cars,I've never had one issue.
This has to be the first time this has ever been uttered in the history of the world. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a GM hater, I own a nice '65 SS but GM has always built junk, even back in its glory days. As much as I love my Chevy, it is and always was a pile of junk relative to my MINI.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:27 AM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
I have no desire to read about Toyota's,Honda's,Subaru's or any Japanese car,Not my type.
If you are looking for reliable cars, they are exactly your type.

As for your American cars ...yes, you have been lucky. My guess is your current MINI will be more reliable than your next Detroit built transportation appliance.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:29 AM
mini_muddeatr
3rd Gear
Here maybe you should read this just posted an hour ago:

General Motors is recalling 944,000 vehicles because of a problem with the windshield wiper fluid system that could lead to a fire.
The recall involves more than 850,000 sport utility vehicles, trucks and passenger cars in the U.S. and nearly 100,000 vehicles in Canada, Mexico and the Middle East.
It involves the 2008 Buick Enclave, 2006-2008 Buick Lucerne, 2006-2008 Cadillac DTS, versions of the 2007-2008 Cadillac Escalade, 2007-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Tahoe and Suburban, 2007-2008 GMC Acadia, Sierra, Yukon and Yukon XL, 2006-2008 Hummer H2 and 2007-2008 Saturn Outlook.
The recall involves vehicles with a heated washer fluid system. A short circuit in the system could cause electrical features to malfunction. There have been nine reports of fires, but no accidents or injuries.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:33 AM
FugitiveAI
4th Gear
I only joined here to learn where to buy stuff to mod the car.From what i've read seems most mods cause a problem with the ECU.I have No retail store close by me to go learn about the products for these cars.
I got an idea for you... just by factory supported and warrantied mods... in the unlikely event you do get a CEL, you are totally covered.

I can share from my experience with quite a few aftermarket parts that most of them don't cause any issues what-so-ever, and many of the issues that do arrise are simply installation errors made by non-mechanics doing their own work.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:42 AM
captsprocket
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mini_muddeatr
Here maybe you should read this just posted an hour ago:

General Motors is recalling 944,000 vehicles because of a problem with the windshield wiper fluid system that could lead to a fire.
The recall involves more than 850,000 sport utility vehicles, trucks and passenger cars in the U.S. and nearly 100,000 vehicles in Canada, Mexico and the Middle East.
It involves the 2008 Buick Enclave, 2006-2008 Buick Lucerne, 2006-2008 Cadillac DTS, versions of the 2007-2008 Cadillac Escalade, 2007-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Tahoe and Suburban, 2007-2008 GMC Acadia, Sierra, Yukon and Yukon XL, 2006-2008 Hummer H2 and 2007-2008 Saturn Outlook.
The recall involves vehicles with a heated washer fluid system. A short circuit in the system could cause electrical features to malfunction. There have been nine reports of fires, but no accidents or injuries.
But I'm sure if you go to the Buick, Caddy, Chevy, Hummer, Saturn, or any of those American car forums, you won't hear ANYONE complaining about their cars.

I'm just as American and the next person, but when it comes to reliable, dependable, economical, and FUN transportation, I will take my new Mini over any one of them!

Old 08-29-2008, 10:46 AM
pillar
5th Gear
bye

Old 08-29-2008, 10:49 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
What Scott says is true and I've said it on here often.

You are basing your decision on the loud minority and not paying attention to the silent majority who have had no major issues with their MINI.

But hey... go to a Ford forum (is there such a thing??) and see if there are more or less problems reported on that board.

ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssEE ya !

Old 08-29-2008, 10:49 AM
Red Dragoon
6th Gear
So you're getting rid of your MINI not because it has given you any problems, but because you're afraid it might give you problems down the road. Somehow I don't think you're made for the MINI. Best of luck finding a better car, you'll need it.

CROC 411

Quick Reply: R56 So sad