R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 After 18 months and 20K miles the only quirck that still irritates me

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 12:24 PM
DrewN
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Skuzzy
The turn signal stalk works the way it does due to the nature of the turn signals being digitally controlled as opposed to mechanical control. It is cheaper to use a momentary switch than adding a device to simulate the stalk returning back to center after the signal expires.
First time I've heard it explained, thanks. That said I would still recommend BMW reconsider the design for future models, there has to be a better solution than having to play a guessing game with your turn signals every time you want to override or cancel.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:16 PM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Going 100% digital has benefits. It costs less to manufacture. It lasts longer. It is easier to repair when it does break. Whether it is actually cheaper to repair is another story.

To add the mechanism to force the turn stalk back to center from a detent would add cost to manufacturing. It would make the system less reliable. It would cost more to repair.

Quick walk through.

1) You press the turn signal through the detent to activate it.
2) It sends a pulse to the computer which tells the computer to turn on the signal.
3) The computer activates the signal and monitors the steering wheel sensor for position.
4) Once the steering wheel has been turned the preset amount of degrees, the computer turns off the signal.

Now, to add something that will allow the stalk to return to center.

You go through the above 4 steps. Now the computer has to tell something to release the stalk. A motorized detent release, as an example. Adding this whole new step adds more complexity to the entire process and will hurt the log term reliability of the system as well. It even adds more weight to the car.

Virtually every momentary switch in our cars does nothing more than send a signal to the computer.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:16 PM
DanF
5th Gear
You got it right, Skuzzy it is digital because it is cheaper. Pop the dash off just about any car now and every switch has a wire going to it.

No more cables going to the heat/defrost box like around 20 years ago.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:07 PM
EENY
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by pilotart
I love my MINI's Turn Signal and wiper control too.

Volume control (all by itself) is fine and the push to 'mute' is really great!
Actually, it's not the volume button I find problematic (actually, I also like the position by the gearshift), it's the similarity with the channel changing button on the radio that confuses me.

Right button? Yes.

That's about it. Just takes a second to think.

On the MFSW - I have one. But I find myself using it far less than I expected. Probably, this is due to much of my driving being over curvy mountain roads and the dials are not often just sitting there at 9 O'Clock.

Turn signals? Lights? Other ***** and dials? Love 'em.

Thanks for the tip about the mute - didn't know that.

Happy motoring