R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Limited slip and hi-fi stereo... worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 02:09 PM
Tygo
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Limited slip and hi-fi stereo... worth it?

I've got the deposit down to hold my spot in the production queue, but now I'm faced with the task of deciding which options to add on (yeah!) and which to leave out (I have to leave options out?) So two that are on the maybe side of things right now:

Limited slip: is this an option that is worthwhile? Who's got it, who likes it? who doesn't? Who's driven both with and without?

Hi-Fi stereo: 790 CDN?? worht it? Love music but want to be able to talk over it, is this just a sign of arrogance?

Let me know what you think and help me get through this.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:26 PM
small samson
Neutral
LSD

I had left off the LSD on my first order and much to the consternation of my dealer and pressure to stay the course I cancelled and reordered - my mistake but they were understanding. I am thrilled to have stuck to my guns. Though I am not much of an off the line throttle jockey the LSD is indespensible in my throttling out of turns at higher speeds. Very stabile and secure. Sure there are aftermarkets and I'm sure they might be better BUT I've been happy with the stock LSD and wouldn't trade it in for the world.

Also my thinking is buy what is integral to the handling and then on simple things like stereo and even struts and springs, upgrade later if needed.

I believe the add on of LSD can be expensive and if not stock possibly void your warranty.

A new stereo can wait (and anyway I got the prem pkg so I can't speak to the less expensive stereo)

Good luck

Old 09-02-2008, 02:34 PM
Tygo
3rd Gear
excellent advice, I was thinking the same thing on the stereo but thats a great perspective on the LSD. thanks!

Old 09-02-2008, 02:38 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you are getting an MCS, and don't want to wait until Dec. to order, I would highly recommend the Limited Slip Differential. Without it, ASC will intercede and cut engine power whenever a drive wheel starts to slip. LSD will more efficiently get power to the ground, delaying the intervention of ASC.

As for the HIFI, there is a fair amount of debate on that. I have it and replaced the speakers. It is still weak on bass, but not bad. Adding a sub would be nice.

The HIFI is better than the standard, if you don't want to upgrade with aftermarket audio. However, it isn't wonderful. MINI has done some odd things, such as not sending bass to the rear (largest) speakers.

Even if you want to go with an aftermarket system, there are some advantages to the HIFI. It is easier to get full range signals from a connector by the driver's door when the HIFI is installed. With the standard, MINI's odd filtering seems to happen at the head unit. With the HIFI, the filtering takes place at the rear amp -- after the connector. One caveot, if you get the HIFI and do an aftermarket system, leave the HIFI amp in place. It is connected to the OBC, which gets grumpy if the HIFI amp is missing.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:41 PM
lagrasta
1st Gear
The LSD is huge for me, especially on the track. It's integrated into the tranny so it is EXTREMELY expensive to add later. For the $500 or so extra, I am super glad that I did it.

As far as the audio, I am picky (and probably arrogant) about my audio and I didn't think anything from the factory was good enough to make a big difference. I am on the verge of a major upgrade, but I haven't figured out exactly what direction to go yet. The basic one is not that bad, but that's pretty subjective.

My suggestion for you would be to get the basic system and, if it isn't good enough then swap out the speakers and maybe add an amp. Quite a few amp makers have been putting amps with good high-level inputs to mesh well with factory head units. Besides, I think that $790 would be more valuable in aftermarket gear anyway.

If your dealer is anything like mine, they won't have a problem with you just sitting in some cars listening. Bring your own cds and check them out.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:54 PM
fronjoni
4th Gear
slips: yes
hifi: hell no

Old 09-02-2008, 02:59 PM
rockridge
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
++1 on LSD.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:08 PM
eR1c
5th Gear
slips: yes
hifi: hell no
+1

the stereo in the Mini isn't great, yet given a choice I'd take the LSD anyday over a stereo upgrade. -yet the choice depends on what's more important to you. Music or Better Performance?

Old 09-02-2008, 03:49 PM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+++1 on LSD, it literally slingshots you out of corners

Old 09-02-2008, 04:11 PM
MakoBimmer
4th Gear
My take on the HiFI is.....while it might not be great, I think it would be difficult to upgrade to an aftermarket unit seeing that the stereo is integrated into the speedo.Plus, an aftermarket stereo is just not going to look right, IMO. Speakers are an easy upgrade AND if ordering the HIFI you get more speakers...especially those tweeters in the A pillar. SO for me, it was worth the extra.

The LSD was a no brainer for me....

Old 09-02-2008, 04:31 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
I got the LSD mainly so that I'd have an easier time of selling it (to guys like the above) when the time comes. Its also cool and can't hurt, but I don't think I'd miss it if I didn't have it. I think I've driven MCSs without it (they're rented, so I'm never sure) and not noticed the difference.

If you're not doing auto-cross or competitive track time it'll proabably make little practical difference. I think I feel it helping occasionally, but you have to be pushing pretty hard for it to make a difference.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:36 PM
bsnyder100
2nd Gear
Can anyone give me a more detailed description of a limited slip diff. I kinda' get it but not totally.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:51 PM
lagrasta
1st Gear
Here's a pretty detailed article from good ol' wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_slip_differential

Old 09-02-2008, 04:54 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bsnyder100
Can anyone give me a more detailed description of a limited slip diff. I kinda' get it but not totally.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_slip_differential

Basically, it is a mechanical method of limiting the differential from causing one drive wheel to spin while the other just sits there. Ever notice that sometimes when people "lay rubber" in a car with a standard differential that there is only one patch of rubber laid down?

Old 09-02-2008, 04:56 PM
Dwell
4th Gear
For the way I drive, LSD is a must. I ordered mine with.

I listened to all the stereos- normal versus the upgrade. I'll be honest, wasn't too thrilled with either and didn't think the $500 was worth it. And I'm a HUUUGE music nut. I just think Mini didn't come out with guns blazing on the Hifi stereo option. Oh well. Not every hit is a home run.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:03 PM
clnconcpts
4th Gear
The way it was explained to me was if you dont get the dynamic stability control get the Limited slip diff.If your package includes DSC then no need For LTD.Thats what a few people told me and still dont know if that was the correct thing for me to do.I have DSC with no LTD.
HI fi,Thats up to you.I'm happy with how it sounds,the only thing i will be doing is adding a cap to the 6 1/2 to cut some low freqs out and add a sub to add more lows.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:04 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lagrasta
My suggestion for you would be to get the basic system and, if it isn't good enough then swap out the speakers and maybe add an amp. Quite a few amp makers have been putting amps with good high-level inputs to mesh well with factory head units.
I may be wrong, but I think it is easier to go aftermarket with the HIFI. If you want to add an amp, you can get clean signals from the connector by the driver's door. They aren't clean on the standard, because they have been filtered at the head unit.

If you want to just replace speakers, the HIFI has more power to work with.

Besides, I think that $790 would be more valuable in aftermarket gear anyway.
Only if you do all the work yourself. I don't think you can get much professionally installed for that. What I hear is that you would be starting somewhere around $2K.

If your dealer is anything like mine, they won't have a problem with you just sitting in some cars listening. Bring your own cds and check them out.
I tried that. It didn't help much. Dealers don't have many cars sitting around. My MA allowed me to try it in a few cars waiting to be delivered, but stood over me impatiently. So, not easy to make good comparisons.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:09 PM
grey
I'd Rather Be Driving
Get the LSD. You'll be happy you did. I am adding it to my car this fall and it is costing triple the $500 to install it. Consider it a safety feature!

Old 09-02-2008, 05:20 PM
minimalistic
3rd Gear
I have both the LSD and the hifi in my MCS. I've haven't driven another MCS without these options so I can't give you an honest comparison.

What I can tell you is that my car has an aweful lot of torque steer particularly on uneven surfaces under heavy acceleration. I don't know if this is the result of the LSD or not but I have heard rumor that the LSD will increase the torque steer.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:21 PM
clnconcpts
4th Gear
Originally Posted by minimalistic
I have both the LSD and the hifi in my MCS. I've haven't driven another MCS without these options so I can't give you an honest comparison.

What I can tell you is that my car has an aweful lot of torque steer particularly on uneven surfaces under heavy acceleration. I don't know if this is the result of the LSD or not but I have heard rumor that the LSD will increase the torque steer.
I thought i read here,that LSD helps prevent TS.From what i understand TS is also caused from the run flats and higher PSI needed for those tires?
Do you have the run flats?

Old 09-02-2008, 07:56 PM
BMBULBE
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I have both LSD and the HiFi upgrade in my 07 MCS. Both are worth getting. LSD improves handling and reduces torque steer (plus will help you get unstuck). As for the HiFi upgrade, a few minutes in an auto stereo shop will show you that $500 or so buys very little.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:22 PM
Tygo
3rd Gear
Interesting, I'm sold on the LSD, I don't drive hard but like a few people havementioned, for what it costs to add it in at the factory, its well worth it. I think the hi-fi will be a pass for budget reasons, at least if I really do regret it later on I can do a few things to get the stereo a bit better to get by.

Old 09-03-2008, 04:38 AM
minimalistic
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by clnconcpts
I thought i read here,that LSD helps prevent TS.From what i understand TS is also caused from the run flats and higher PSI needed for those tires?
Do you have the run flats?
I do have the run flats. They're set at 37psi cold. Would lowering the pressure help?

Old 09-03-2008, 07:34 AM
mikeyjaro
2nd Gear
get the LSD.. when coming out of corners and starting on slippery or uneven surfaces, its fun, safe and thrilling.. wet roads its amazing and taking off from the line, you'll avoid the DSC from kicking in.
The Hi-Fi is a toss-up.. its not a luxury HiFi system, but the basic stereo reminds me of a Yaris..
Btw - I never tested a car with LSD, but when I got mine, I could tell the difference.. Get It!

Old 09-03-2008, 08:36 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
I got LSD and I'm glad I did. I can feel it accelerating/turning at the same time, and I'm not a track person.
I also got the HiFi and I listen to music in my car more than at home. I think it sounds just fine. Certainly not as good as a modded system, but unless you do the speakers yourself just upgrading them will cost you more than the OEM upgrade. Adding an amp/sub to that will cost $2k.
Tip: using a dock wire (versus a headphone wire) to the Aux jack improves the sound of my iPod tremendously. Cost $7.

Quick Reply: R56 Limited slip and hi-fi stereo... worth it?