R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Recall Coming?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 05:29 AM
leicaguy
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My wife burned her leg on my just-a-Cooper pipe the day I brought it home. That's the one and only time and we did not REPORT it to anyone. That's what kills me. The article site "reports". Who the h*** goes through the trouble to report something like that. Whiners.

Oh, last week I jabbed a steak knife in my eye. The package it came in didn't say not to do that so I figured it would be OK. Boy I hate when that happens.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:31 AM
cmbtmini
2nd Gear
as one poster had mentioned there are other issues that need to be addressed with a recall but certainly not this...I would hate to imagine MINI extending the length of the rear bumper or even bending the tailpipes downward so that it won't be exposed at all like in some Chrysler 300's I've seen. I for one would rather see a recall to fix the mushrooming shock tower mounts issue on the Gen1/MK1 MINI's.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:55 AM
tinker_06
4th Gear
That article also shows a sample of 'the tailpipes" which are from a JCW tuning kit

Here is the photo they show:

My tailpipes ARE not thoses, so that article should investigate a little more before writing it up and showing tailpipes that are NOT on a standard Mini Cooper.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:58 AM
clnconcpts
4th Gear
I've tried to hit the pipes,when I'm back there.I just dont see how its done.

Wonder if the people getting burned are short people?I'm 6'3" ,so i bend over to get stuff out of the hatch area.Maybe they are short enough and just walk right up to it?

Old 09-07-2008, 07:09 AM
tinker_06
4th Gear
I'm 5'4" and I can't see how it is done either. I wonder if they changed it... without announcing it? I just picked my MCS up, and they do not stick out at all.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:13 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tinker_06
I'm 5'4" and I can't see how it is done either. I wonder if they changed it... without announcing it? I just picked my MCS up, and they do not stick out at all.
Have you checked after a long drive? When heated up to high temperatures, the exhaust will expand and push the tips further out. Could be the reason you're not noticing it if you're just checking them while it's parked outside.

Originally Posted by leicaguy
My wife burned her leg on my just-a-Cooper pipe the day I brought it home. That's the one and only time and we did not REPORT it to anyone. That's what kills me. The article site "reports". Who the h*** goes through the trouble to report something like that. Whiners.

Oh, last week I jabbed a steak knife in my eye. The package it came in didn't say not to do that so I figured it would be OK. Boy I hate when that happens.
That's what I don't get. Both my brother and good friend burnt their legs grabbing things out of my MC....but it was simply chalked up as an accident on their part. I don't know who would report it. Exhaust tips are hot....it's their job. Exhaust tips are usually at the back of the car, and protrude from the bumper. If you touch them and get burned....oops, don't put your leg there next time. It's hardly the car's fault....it's not like the exhaust pipes stick out 6 inches past the bumper.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:28 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I disagree guys -- keep in mind the model years in question, please...if you don't have those model years, check out somebody's car who DOES. I have an '07, and I'd like to think I'm a fairly intelligent individual. (Mom says I am, anyway, and she's always right, right?)

Seriously, though. I KNOW the pipes are there. I KNOW they're hot. But I've branded myself at least a handful of times, not realizing how close I'd accidently gotten to them when loading/unloading from the hatch. Luckily the burns weren't bad, but I was usually wearing shorts (realized pain early) or long thick pants (prevented deep burn). Some people weren't so lucky, and their burns were much worse.

To my knowledge, there isn't litigation, just formalized complaints. I can see them using some kind of short heat shield for the TOP of the pipes, not necessarily shortening anything. I probably won't bring mine in if recalled, either...but that's because I have the hitch, and if I keep being bone-headed and getting too close to the hot pipes, I'll just use the draw bar to remind me.

Last edited by x uh oh x; 09-07-2008 at 08:14 AM.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:51 AM
matty125
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DrewN
Bah, the hot bonnet is a more serious issue.
The Melted Scoop 4 sure!!!!!!!! Also the damn hot heater in the drivers foot well that'll burn your feet.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:54 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's not the pipes/ It's probably the hot exhaust.

I don't think people are burning their legs on the pipe itself. I think they must be loading the car with the engine running and the hot exaust air is what is burning their legs. They just don't admit they are not thinking about what happens when you stick your leg in front of a exhaust pipe with the motor running. especially when in a dress or short pants.
I just went out and looked at my 2009 JCW exhause and it is impossable to touch the actual pipe with your leg. Unless of course if you really try,(with effort) you can.
Ronnie

Old 09-07-2008, 08:07 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ronnie948
I just went out and looked at my 2009 JCW exhause and it is impossable to touch the actual pipe with your leg. Unless of course if you really try,(with effort) you can.
Ronnie
See? That's what I mean...the potential recall is only for 2007 - 2008 models. After reading all the discussions on other threads, I gather that BMW changed the pipes somehow to prevent this kind of thing towards the tail end of the 2008 models.

I'd disagree with the running-the-car thing, Ronnie...After really long road trips (and thus really HOT exhuasts), you're tired and not paying attention. It's very possible to get burned if your legs are still tingly after sitting so long (on the gas pedal of course ), you're tired, AND not paying attention.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:09 AM
jyarrow
4th Gear
I've been aware of the thought pipes on my 07 MCS and very careful to avoid them. They stick out plenty far to accidentally touch them. I became more concerned about this when my 6 year old daughter got 2nd degree burns from them.

We'd driven an hour and the car was off. We met the grandparents in a parking lot 1/2 way between our homes so the kids could spend the weekend with them. The girls where getting their suitcases out of the back when one of them started screaming bloody murder. She got a big half moon brand that is still very much there after 3 weeks.

She's fine, but your perspective on the danger changes when it happens to your kid. Never thought to report it to anyone - just told her (and her younger sister) to be careful. If there is a mod that would make this less of a risk I would do it.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:27 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
See? That's what I mean...the potential recall is only for 2007 - 2008 models. After reading all the discussions on other threads, I gather that BMW changed the pipes somehow to prevent this kind of thing towards the tail end of the 2008 models.
I had an '07, and now I have an '08 MCS. Both exhausts were the same...with adjustable exhaust tips. If you can't position your legs anywhere but butted against the bumper [and if you did that to my car I'd yell at you for touching my paint], get underneath the car, loosen the tips' setscrew, and push them as far in as you can.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:31 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ryephile
I had an '07, and now I have an '08 MCS. Both exhausts were the same...with adjustable exhaust tips. If you can't position your legs anywhere but butted against the bumper [and if you did that to my car I'd yell at you for touching my paint], get underneath the car, loosen the tips' setscrew, and push them as far in as you can.
Unfortunately, I don't have that adjustable option. How did you know about the adjustables? Was it part of your car-pickup-inbrief, or did you have to putter around with the car first? (Which would lead me to the next question of: are the dealers just not telling people about the adjustable option?)

Old 09-07-2008, 08:39 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
If your exhaust is stock or JCW Stage 1, yours are adjustable. Look underneath the car and you'll see a setscrew on the bottom side of each exhaust tip. It's likely the dealers don't even know about it, like most of the features of the car. The dealership should NOT be your source of knowledge.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:42 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
If your exhaust is stock or JCW Stage 1, yours are adjustable. Look underneath the car and you'll see a setscrew on the bottom side of each exhaust tip. It's likely the dealers don't even know about it, like most of the features of the car. The dealership should NOT be your source of knowledge.
I agree w/ the dealership knowledge comment - but surely the service department (mine's pretty good, all things considered) should mention it when I commented on the "branding..." ? This is the very first time I've ever heard of the adjustable idea, and I'm already on my second MINI.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:38 AM
tinker_06
4th Gear
I'd like to see pictures of someone's 2007, early 2008 from above and sideview. I JUST received my Mini, and I'll take pictures so we can compare.

I just got back in from driving an hour - they are hot.. going to snap a few shots now!

Old 09-07-2008, 10:44 AM
dbhouston
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Eurothrasher
WHAT moron would rub their legs against an exhaust pipe of a MCS and keep it there long enough to sustain "burns" on their skin ?
Attachment 36797
Thanks for calling my 7 year old a moron. She was helping to get groceries out of the back when she got a nasty second degree burn on her leg. Hope it doesn't leave a permanent scar.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:44 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Kazy
And as for the McDonald's Coffee thing, it wasn't that it was hot, it was that it was way too hot for human consumption. They didn't regulate their coffee temperatures, so when the lady spilled it on herself, it didn't burn, it melted her skin.
You need to read that article I posted the link to.

McDonalds also said during discovery that, based on a consultants
advice, it held its coffee at between 180 and 190 degrees fahrenheit to
maintain optimum taste. He admitted that he had not evaluated the
safety ramifications at this temperature. Other establishments sell
coffee at substantially lower temperatures, and coffee served at home is
generally 135 to 140 degrees.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:51 AM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by ronnie948
I don't think people are burning their legs on the pipe itself. I think they must be loading the car with the engine running and the hot exaust air is what is burning their legs. They just don't admit they are not thinking about what happens when you stick your leg in front of a exhaust pipe with the motor running. especially when in a dress or short pants.
Ronnie
Oh it's definitely the pipes, we've seen pictures on another thread here on NAM and here are some more: http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/2...st-tattoo.html

Last edited by Benibiker; 09-07-2008 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:58 AM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
As for 'adjusting the tailpipe extensions';
from reading the thread in here on 'removing tailpipe extensions' it seems that they are a 'heat-shrink' fit as well as the set screw.

Might be best be done by a Service Dept, but thread said that you needed to have extensions hot,
while cooling the pipe that they slip over before you can move them.

It may even be the method planned for the recall and in that case, you would not be charged for the service.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:22 AM
tinker_06
4th Gear
here are some pictures I just snaped!

tail pipe does NOT protrude

Old 09-07-2008, 11:52 AM
kevshootz
3rd Gear
I really have no sympathy for whoever burns themselves with the tailpipes. I can't condone legislation to keep distracted people from doing dumb things. You know the tailpipes are down there, so stay away from them. [duh!]

Next we'll have warning stickers on the oil filter saying "warning, oil may be hot"
Not sure if it is a "dumb thing." One thing I despise about internet forums, it is a great way for angry people to vent and talk to others in a way they NEVER would in person.

In real life, you would discuss and debate the issue. On forums, just call people dumb, moorons and such. My god. Get some manners.

I can say, having them in the middle, where it is NATURAL to stand when leaning all the way into the trunk space to grab something out, is kind of bad placement. And yea, I know they are there. but several times, while in a major hurry, and my brain is elsewhere, I have ZAPPED my leg, and it hurts.

And recalls are for safety issues. And for those who have badly burned themselves, it does make sense.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:57 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Were those pictures taken while the motor was cold or were they taken after a long vigorous drive? As I already mentioned.....exhausts can move out inches due to heat expansion which is obviously when the burns are happening.

This isn't a problem that is different or specific among the model years. I've heard of it happening on all years and models. It just varies based on your exhaust fitment and the placement of the adjustable tips.

Old 09-07-2008, 01:14 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
BMW and the federal government count a total of 32 injuries related to the engineering analysis, and no fatalities.
Were fatalities and issue here?

Are we going to recall my stove for having an open flame? The campfire? Sign's in the engine bay telling me not to go for a spirited drive then massage the headers?

But then again this is the R56 we're talking about, with that "pedestrian safe" bumper.

Old 09-07-2008, 01:19 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Motor On
Were fatalities and issue here?

Are we going to recall my stove for having an open flame? The campfire? Sign's in the engine bay telling me not to go for a spirited drive then massage the headers?

But then again this is the R56 we're talking about, with that "pedestrian safe" bumper.
They were so concerned about the "pedestrian safe" front bumper they forgot you might back up into a pedestrian and brand them with the rear end...

Quick Reply: R56 Recall Coming?