R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Recall Coming?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 06:24 AM
NSX JR
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I picked up my week 33 car yesterday and they don't stick out NEARLY as far as any picture in this thread...hot or cold. I'll get some pictures soon.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:04 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 10-02-2008, 11:01 AM
r56mini
6th Gear
I will never get burnt on the tail pipes even if some villain came up behind me and pushed me against the back of my MINI. I will be constantly aware of the presence of those hot pipes. If I was fighting with the villain rolling on the ground I will try to push his face toward the sizzling tail pipes like in the movies where they alway try to push the enemy toward a saw blade or a large piece of broke window glass. But when my little kids run around in the garage after I park my car and they try to help unload the groceries from the hatch I have to warn them and they forget in 5 seconds and get too close again and again. I have more important things to think about than worrying about my kids burning themselves on the hot tail pipes.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:31 PM
Eurothrasher
6th Gear
Received 168 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
I don't really care whether MINI "fixes" the pipes or not, but here are a few thoughts.

Many MINI owners are not knowledgeable about cars. The MINI is just a cute car that gets good mileage. Their kids, significant others, friends, etc. may know even less. That exhaust pipes can be hot may not be part of their knowledge base. For someone who works on cars, it is second nature, but I would guess that is less than 50% of MINI owners.

How many other cars pose a burn threat to someone accessing the boot? With motorcycles, tailpipe burns are something one might expect. I don't recall it being an issue with any other cars I've owned. Often the tailpipe is well inside the bumper so you can't hit it with your legs. This sets the standard for people's expectations with cars.

A burn can be a very painful and serious injury. For a woman who cares about how her legs look below the knees, a burn could be very upsetting. Possibly a career killer for a model.

Was MINI negligent in considering this hazard? I don't know. It would be interesting to find out if they considered it, and what the reasons were for not putting them out of harms way.

There are hazards that some products have that can't really be removed. Smashing your finger in a door is one of those hazards. Crashing in a hang glider is another.

Some hazards are preventable at expense. When companies opt to save the money, rather than protect the customer, they run the risk of having to compensate the injured. Ford decided to save money on the design of the Pinto. IIRC, they considered the hazard and decided it would be less expensive to compensate the victims (according to internal memos). The loved ones of those who burned to death as a result of the cost savings sought compensation (if not vengeance). McDonalds chose to over-heat its coffee without considering safety consequences (by their own addmission). One victim sought $20,000 for eight days in hospital, multiple skin grafts, and debridement. McDonalds said no, so it went to court and the stakes got much bigger.

What was MINI thinking when they put hot tail pipes at the position where most people would stand to access the boot, and designed it so the bumper didn't prevent your leg from touching the pipes? It would be interesting to know how this decision was made.

Look, no sense berating this issue. Getting the sense of something hot against the skin and moving away, and Getting actually "Burned" requiring first aid - are two different things. Who in their right mind would hold their leg(s) against something so hot and long enough to sustain an actual visible injury ?

Back in the 70's, being seated on super heated vinyl car seats mid summer while wearing shorts was commonplace, but I was also smart enough to stand up immediately or get out of the car and not sit there and get a 1st degree leg burns......

I have picked up a super hot handle of a cooking pot, and put it right back down again to obtain an oven mitt. It didnt feel good for sure but I was not burned. And I didn't deliberately maintain a grasp long enough so I could file a law suit against Farberware.....give me a break.......

Maybe we should put a HUGE warning label on the sun for this burn complainant warning him/her as to the hazzards of looking at the sun too long.........

Old 10-02-2008, 07:35 PM
jw34
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Eurothrasher
Back in the 70's, being seated on super heated vinyl car seats mid summer while wearing shorts was commonplace, but I was also smart enough to stand up immediately or get out of the car and not sit there and get a 1st degree leg burns......
Thanks for that great flashback. And since it was from the 70's it really WAS a flashback.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:36 PM
Dwell
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Eurothrasher
Look, no sense berating this issue. Getting the sense of something hot against the skin and moving away, and Getting actually "Burned" requiring first aid - are two different things. Who in their right mind would hold their leg(s) against something so hot and long enough to sustain an actual visible injury ?

I have picked up a super hot handle of a cooking pot, and put it right back down again to obtain an oven mitt. It didnt feel good for sure but I was not burned. And I didn't deliberately maintain a grasp long enough so I could file a law suit against Farberware.....give me a break.......

Maybe we should put a HUGE warning label on the sun for this burn complainant warning him/her as to the hazzards of looking at the sun too long.........

LOL. +1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Probably one of the silliest things Ive read on this site....a recall for the exhaust? Personally, if you think the car doesn't get hot after driving it, you should probably take the bus since I can't imagine what other really scaring things out there will make you drive straight into a telephone, or worse.

People have to understand- these are unique cars. Unique.

A little common sense goes a long way.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:22 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
Even with 100% common sense no brainer, accidents do happen.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:54 PM
spam.at.trash
3rd Gear
I've got the letter from MINI USA today and it says that "....we ask that you not leave this issue unattended...."

Hmm, I am think now do I have to replace or keep current tailpipe because I do not have any problem. Any one has a picture tailpipe extension with a shortened version?

Thanks in advance.

p.s. I should read entire this thread first, Thanks but still I do not know what to do.

Last edited by spam.at.trash; 10-16-2008 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:09 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Lots of people have started getting a letter for the "recall". It sounds like most don't want to shorten their pipes but those that have already done it are happy with the result. Look through this thread, I believe there are some pictures of before and after...

Old 10-17-2008, 11:59 AM
DVSAZN
2nd Gear
Got my letter yesterday... Dumb if you ask me....

Let natural selection take it's place!

Old 10-17-2008, 02:57 PM
myminirox
3rd Gear
What do they do exactly? Do they replace the tips with shorter ones, or do they remove the tips, shorten the pipes and replace the tips? If the former, do we get to keep the old tips (always nice to have spares I suppose......)?

Anyway, of those who have undergone this circumsion, please post pix!! Please let us know if this is just a tempest in a teapot.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:19 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
myminirox what they do is remove the 2 exhaust tips that came on your MCS and install shorter ones that won't stick out under the bumper when the exhaust gets hot from driving.They do not give back the ones they removed because it is a recall.

These attached pics show the before and after exhaust tips replacement both when hot after driving.I hope that helps some.

Attached Thumbnails Recall Coming?-th_2008mcsextendedhotexhausttips.jpg   Recall Coming?-th_2008mcsexhausttipstsbdone.jpg  
Old 10-17-2008, 07:24 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by DVSAZN
Got my letter yesterday... Dumb if you ask me....

Let natural selection take it's place!
I got two! One for my now-sold '07 MCS and my current '08 MCS JCW. Needless to say my shredder got a quick workout.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:16 PM
dajiggalo
3rd Gear
I got the tailpipes replaced with the shorter versions today... honestly, it looks good to me (from a side profile). Also, the tech mentioned taht all the new JCW's come with the shorter pipes.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:48 PM
DVSAZN
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Ryephile
I got two! One for my now-sold '07 MCS and my current '08 MCS JCW. Needless to say my shredder got a quick workout.
+1

If you're dumb enough to not know that hot engine exhaust + metal = new leg tattoo, then you deserved to get burned...

Like I said... Let natural selection take it's place....

This is a voluntary recall right??? It's not mandatory is it?? I seriously like the way the exhaust looks now....

Old 11-21-2008, 08:43 AM
NJP
3rd Gear
Tailpipe Recall R56

I received the tailpipe recall letter also. Since I was due for my 12 month oil change, when I made the appointment the topic came up & I was told "it is the law". By "law" the dealer MUST complete the change on all Cooper S. I asked how much would be cut off & was told about 1/4 inch. That doesn't make any sense. So my question to the forum is....can we refuse to let them do the recall as the owner & if they do it anyway, what recourse do we have? Didn't want to make any changes to the Mini & just how relevent is this topic about the fumes going into the car itself due to this mod?

Old 11-21-2008, 08:52 AM
NJP
3rd Gear
Tailpipe Recall

Originally Posted by corcoranwtnet
Isn't that the wonderful thing about a recall? If you don't want it done, you don't take it in for the recall work to be done! Then we're all happy (except maybe the person who buys an unmodified one, and the recall period has expired, if it has an expiration date).
So how long is a recall in effect?? I need the oil change & I know the dealer is going to do this recall.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:24 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I do not think it is the law.

I'm sure the law relates to the BMW Mini manufacture to send out the letter. They only needed to inspect the tailpipe extensions to see if they needed shortening. If they do not need shortening they do not have to change them at all. Mine were even with the bumper so they did not need to shorten mine.
I pretty sure if they shorten them so they are not even with the bumper the car will probably fill up with exhaust fumes when sitting at a long traffic light. Not very safe or healthy at all.
My dealer is Downtown Mini in Orlando Florida and they did inspect the tips when they replaced my JCW rotors. The rotors needed replacing but the exhaust tips did not.
My Mini right now is cleared of recalls.
Ronnie

Last edited by ronnie948; 11-21-2008 at 09:27 AM. Reason: I are the worst speller "YEP"
Old 11-21-2008, 11:36 AM
NJP
3rd Gear
Mini Recalls

The recall is definitely NOT a government recall. Therefore, it can't be a law. I looked on the government recall list and the only recall for Mini is for a tire label. I saw the set screws under the 2 tailpipe extensions & when I took the sets out, I couldn't get the extension off. So I'm wondering just what is it that they do since I can't find anything official on the web.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:09 PM
swflaboy
4th Gear
OK, I get it. It's kinda silly to have a manufacturer's recall to prevent people from doing something stupid. That said I do understand owners with small children and uninformed guests.

I have a condition that affects nerves in my feet and lower legs. I can not react quickly enough to the sensation of heat to prevent myself from being burned. Not a big deal, I have lots of scars. But I think this recall makes sense. Why risk it? I completely understand others shrugging it off but some of us get it. That said, my '09 MCS has the shorter version already.