R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Recall Coming?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 07:07 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Recall Coming?

There might be a recall coming out soon due to exhaust pipe burnings with the S models... Check this out.. http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=131730#5

Old 09-06-2008, 07:14 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
I really have no sympathy for whoever burns themselves with the tailpipes. I can't condone legislation to keep distracted people from doing dumb things. You know the tailpipes are down there, so stay away from them. [duh!]

Next we'll have warning stickers on the oil filter saying "warning, oil may be hot"

Old 09-06-2008, 07:22 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
I wonder what a recall would involve... Installing another muffler with shorter pipes? Putting some kind of screen over the pipes? I won't take mine in, I like the pipes just like they are... No burns here...

Attached Thumbnails Recall Coming?-muffler.jpg  

Last edited by Benibiker; 09-06-2008 at 07:27 PM.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:26 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Wow...

I can just hear Thomas Jefferson trying to sue Ben Franklin because he stood behind Ben's horse and it kicked him. Because they didn't believe in personal responsibility, either.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:27 PM
Bruce Banner
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This reminds me of the McDonalds Coffee burns. Hmmm coffee may be hot... thats news to some I guess. Maybe they should have there mom standing next to them so as to keep them from burning themselves.

That said I've burned myself on my snowmobiles exhaust pipes when I leaned over them. Its not the manufacturers fault its my own stupidity. I laughed and went on with it.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:30 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
This will be very interesting as there is a dedicated thread about some NAM members burning their legs on the hot exhaust tips when retrieving items from the hatch area.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:33 PM
Grape82
1st Gear
Internal combustion = hot exhaust! I hate to think of what a "solution" that will be acceptable to the NHTSA Office of Defects will look like.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:35 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Grape82
Internal combustion = hot exhaust! I hate to think of what a "solution" that will be acceptable to the NHTSA Office of Defects will look like.
Probably some kind of "castration"...

Old 09-06-2008, 07:39 PM
Eurothrasher
6th Gear
Received 168 Likes on 134 Posts
omg Guess these winers never owned a motorcycle.....

I appreciate recalls, when appropriate, but WHAT moron would rub their legs against an exhaust pipe of a MCS and keep it there long enough to sustain "burns" on their skin ? Are they intoxicated or something ? Do they also hold their hands over burning candles for kicks too ?

Yes, I've brushed up against them myself before ( only once ) after long trip and not paying attention, I wasn't burned, but felt the heat for a half a second. Never did it again, AND I didn't wine about it to the feds or make a federal case out of it for pete's sake.....

Part of what makes the MINI unique from other cars is the fact that these tail pipes DO come out the center of the rear bumper. Next thing you know we will have warning decals on the rear bumpers alerting those opening the boot to be careful - "Warning: Hot Pipes Below!" Likes those stupid Federally mandated one's on ALL auto visors these days for folks with no common sense.

Sorry for the rant - just sick and tired of the many having to pay for the stupidity of the very few.....

Attachment 36797

Last edited by Eurothrasher; 11-18-2008 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:14 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Interesting.

The engineering analysis, which is sometimes a precursor to a safety recall
The agency's Office of Defects Investigation said it opened the investigation "based on three consumer reports...
So, only three complains. That is somewhat surprising, given the number of people who posted in the burn thread here, and the number of MINI drivers who don't post on NAM. I guess there are a lot of folks who don't blame the world for everything that goes wrong.

I haven't been burned, but I noticed one of my exhaust tips sticks out slightly farther than the other. I wonder if there is variation from car to car?

I would want to know what MINI would do before I took the car in for a modification.

We all think of the McDonalds coffee suit as the ultimate in frivolous law suits. This site has some interesting facts about it that were not properly reported in the press.
http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur78.htm

I'm not a lawyer, and I don't play one on TV. According to another thread on NAM, someone else plays me on TV.

What I found interesting is that McDonalds had 700 previous complaints before this issue. They continued to heat their coffee 45-50 degrees F hotter than is normally used without evaluating the safety consequences.

A vascular surgeon determined that Liebeck suffered full thickness burns (or third-degree burns) over 6 percent of her body, including her inner thighs, perineum, buttocks, and genital and groin areas. She was hospitalized for eight days, during which time she underwent skin grafting. Liebeck, who also underwent debridement treatments, sought to settle her claim for $20,000, but McDonalds refused.
She must have had more than $20,000 worth of hospital bills. Perhaps she had health insurance that covered it, or perhaps Medicare covered the rest.

What would you have done if McDonalds super-heated coffee had castrated you?

Old 09-06-2008, 08:26 PM
Deviant
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It would be interesting what type of recall this could produce. Probably none at all, but if a recall is issued they'll probably design some sort of vented/composite exhaust tip, maybe somethings like the Duramax diesels have to cool the exhaust gases.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:30 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
My guess would be that they would simply shorten the pipe, moving the tips further under the car. An inch would probably be enough.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:43 PM
Krafty04
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
My guess would be that they would simply shorten the pipe, moving the tips further under the car. An inch would probably be enough.
At first many may think this may be a solution, but if the pipes don't extend far enough out from under the bumper, the exhaust fumes may not be pulled out from away from the car and come inside the cabin. That could be deadly on a long trip.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:53 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
What does the muffler set up look like on the Clubman? Does it have two mufflers or just one with the pipes going to either side? Maybe they would go as far to modify the rear skirt and just add off the shelf mufflers from the Clubman. That would be to costly because it looks like they have two mufflers and more room to play with. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with!

Old 09-06-2008, 09:15 PM
steve216
2nd Gear
lol I actually burned my leg one night, when loading some luggage in the boot, I was more impressed of how I fit 3 bags in the car then to worry about my leg:P, just learned to watch for it now, and no I wouldn't send it in to get changed I like how it looks

Last edited by steve216; 09-06-2008 at 09:21 PM.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Benibiker
What does the muffler set up look like on the Clubman?

Stolen from this thread on the Clubman forum.

The MC just has one on the right. I doubt MINI would do this for the R56 MCS, even if they could.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:28 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't believe that. Thats like putting your hands in a container of tacks and complaining to the government that your hand got pricked because the tacks are too sharp. I know my gf go burnt real quick on my non S pipe a few times, but it was real quick and she knew it was just from not paying attention to it. I think whoever it is that is complaining about getting burnt to government are the ones that don't wave, buy the cooper just because of the fuel economy, and get the S just because they have an issue with small cars and feel they need to extra power even though they are only going to use the car for groceries (hence the getting burnt by the tail pipes haha)

If they want to really address an issue is if they can get fix that really fix the scolding hot water pipes that run right along your gas peddle foot

Old 09-06-2008, 09:41 PM
mattsenpai
4th Gear
i say they should do a recall for different issues <_< ..screw the tailpipes

Old 09-06-2008, 09:58 PM
Kikimowse
3rd Gear
Tail Pipe Cozy

Are we forgetting that this is a car with a British heritage? Stiff upper lip and all that stuff. I will not have my pipes changed. I will simply slip a tail pipe cozy on each one and motor on. For those that are not famaliar with the British Brown Betty Teapot, the cozy is a sort of teapot slip cover that is placed on a hot pot to keep the tea warm and prevent burns when handling the pot. My tail pipe cozies will be monogramed of course with the family crest!

Old 09-06-2008, 09:59 PM
Kazy
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Actually there's a thread on people who have been burned on this forum. Seems some tailpipes stick out further than everyone elses, which leads to burns while loading stuff into the boot.

And as for the McDonald's Coffee thing, it wasn't that it was hot, it was that it was way too hot for human consumption. They didn't regulate their coffee temperatures, so when the lady spilled it on herself, it didn't burn, it melted her skin.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:20 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rding unfamiliar Motorcycle, get off Motorcycle, burn leg on Exhaust Pipe...Jump in Chlorinated Swimming Pool...Talk about something I don't want to RECALL!!

Old 09-07-2008, 12:39 AM
Dwell
4th Gear
How do you even do that? One of the most ridiculous articles I've read.

If you burn yourself on the pipe, you should have your Mini taken away.

Get a burn? This is your replacement. And its really bright pink.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:24 AM
DrewN
6th Gear
Bah, the hot bonnet is a more serious issue.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:31 AM
tinker_06
4th Gear
you know, I read that burn thread here before I picked up my MINI. I was a little concerned about it, however, now that I have her.. I can't see how the tailpipes will ever burn me. They are tucked under the bumper, and DO NOT stick out. Someone would have to position their leg in a weird way to get burned from the pipe. Silly if there is a recall.. and I wouldn't bring it her in for it.

(also pointed out the tailpipe to others and asked their thoughts - they all concur with my opinion).

Old 09-07-2008, 05:02 AM
DanF
5th Gear
The people burning there legs are probably the same people that can't figure out how to use the blinker.

Quick Reply: R56 Recall Coming?