R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Being Towed...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 08:37 PM
Firebolt
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Being Towed...

Hey, i just have some general questions about being towed. Firstly, MINI recommends only using flatbeds, if my car gets towed and is damaged in the process, who's liable? Also, are there any tips or tricks to avoid being towed (aside from parking legally) I'm asking because my girlfriend lives in a complex where visitors parking is ALWAYS full, whereas resident parking is usually empty. I'm probably just going to see about buying a parking pass for myself because I'm here often enough, but in the mean time i was curious in finding out some anti-towing techniques. What happens if i leave my car in 1st and crank that E-brake as high as i can?

Old 09-06-2008, 09:07 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
If they really want to tow your car they will, any car can be towed no matter what you do with the transmission or steering wheel. You could take all four wheels off and they will still be able to tow it, they just jack it up, put it on those mini wheels, and off they go...

Old 09-06-2008, 11:10 PM
Tygo
3rd Gear
Never hurts to try and avoid it, maybe you'll just end up with a ticket. Pull in forwards, crank the tires all the way to the left and lock the wheel after you pull the key out. If they can do it at least you'll have made them earn it.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:47 AM
Warped1966
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What seems a lifetime ago I drove wreckers. I've done repossessions, illegally parked cars, police tows and everything else. There is NOTHING that you can do to prevent your car from being towed short of blocking it in with 4 or 5 other cars and even then that might not be enough. I once repossessed a car with a HUGE Rotty chained to the driver's side door. I simply towed the car at a very low speed for a few blocks as animal control was on the way to meet me to get the dog.

If you crank your wheels hard in one direction, put the car in gear and set the hand brake, all you are doing is adding a dolly fee (right now that is about $75 extra around here) to your bill. In short, park legally or not at all. It's cheaper in the long run and a lot less hassle.

If your car breaks down and must be towed, a rollback can do as much, if not more damage than a conventional wheel-lift wrecker if the driver is inexperienced. If you do have to have it towed, make the driver note all existing damage in writing (preferably on a carbon copy type receipt) before he touches your car. Make sure that both of you look at your CV boots and note their condition. Some flatbed drivers hook to the lower control arms on the front, which is normally not a problem but, the "J" hooks, when placed under tension to pull the car up on the rollback, can stand up and bind the CV boot thus ripping it to shreds or twisting it until it tears.

If they send a wheel-lift wrecker, make sure that they tow your car with the front in the air and make sure that there is plenty of clearance between the wheel lift crossbar and the oil pan of your car.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:07 PM
4xAAA
6th Gear
Good infor Warped, I will be keeping the cv boot info in mind.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:39 PM
minimalistic
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Tygo
crank the tires all the way to the left and lock the wheel after you pull the key out.
My Mini's steering wheel doesn't lock.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:01 AM
Engender
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Firebolt
Hey, i just have some general questions about being towed. Firstly, MINI recommends only using flatbeds, if my car gets towed and is damaged in the process, who's liable? Also, are there any tips or tricks to avoid being towed (aside from parking legally) I'm asking because my girlfriend lives in a complex where visitors parking is ALWAYS full, whereas resident parking is usually empty. I'm probably just going to see about buying a parking pass for myself because I'm here often enough, but in the mean time i was curious in finding out some anti-towing techniques. What happens if i leave my car in 1st and crank that E-brake as high as i can?
Quick word of advice: Does your girlfriend have a parking pass? If so or if not, get her (if she lives there) to go get a 1st or 2nd parking pass. Maybe say something like she has someone staying with her for a couple of months and the guest spots are always full.

If she pays the rent, she has a much better chance of getting a second pass.

Or maybe that she got a second car!

Old 09-08-2008, 10:06 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
In some states, such as the one where I live, it is illegal to tow a car with front wheel drive on anything other than a flat bed.

Check your local ordinances with regard to motor vehicle towing. This may be a moot question.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:50 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minimalistic
My Mini's steering wheel doesn't lock.
They deleted the steering lock sometime earlier this year.