R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Does anyone have an '09 w/Smartphone integration

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 10:54 AM
desertmini21
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone have an '09 w/Smartphone integration

I am trying to find out if the iPhone 3G works with the Smartphone Integration located in the armrest. Since it is such a new feature, the dealership is not 100% sure.

Last edited by desertmini21; 09-07-2008 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:52 PM
Jerome81
2nd Gear
I love how nobody understands this feature.

Why do you have to spend the extra $100 for the smartphone integration??

I don't get it either.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:33 PM
TyCrox07
2nd Gear
I'm not sure exactly what it does, but I ordered it... I remember reading somewhere that it wasn't available until September builds, so I don't think anyone will have it yet. But I'm hoping it works with my 3G as well. Let me see if i can find the forum, and I'll check what the emails with my MA say.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:35 PM
TyCrox07
2nd Gear
Here's my MA's response when I asked what it was:

The Invisible shield is $399 installed. Because this 6NF integration improves the experience using an iPhone and it's Smartphone compatible, I'm assuming it will work with your 3G.

Yeah, so I'm assuming they don't know anything about it either. Would ASK MINI know anything?

And a link to the previous thread:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=139011

Tyler

Old 09-07-2008, 07:42 PM
desertmini21
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TyCrox07
Here's my MA's response when I asked what it was:

The Invisible shield is $399 installed. Because this 6NF integration improves the experience using an iPhone and it's Smartphone compatible, I'm assuming it will work with your 3G.

Yeah, so I'm assuming they don't know anything about it either. Would ASK MINI know anything?

And a link to the previous thread:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=139011

Tyler
Thank you very much for the info. It does make a lot of sense that they would make an accessory for the iPhone 3G and it was worth the $100 risk.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:10 AM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Wow! That's special answer!

The $100 SmartPhone integration is an add-on to the Comfort Bluetooth Prep armrest, and it adds a USB connection (for music only) to the inside of the armrest. This way, you'd be able to change the phone and listen to music without any special cables or adapters.

The updated snap-in adapter list hasn't been released yet as far as I know- which is probably why nobody can tell you anything for sure. It seems almost custom made for the iPhones though- pretty much the only snap-in released since the R56 came out is for it. I'd say it's a very safe bet that both versions of the iPhone are included. I think the only reason the 3G doesn't work with the current version is because it's slightly larger than the space that's given?

Old 10-09-2008, 08:11 PM
jeremyjcw
1st Gear
Bumping this thread to see if anyone has 6NE/6NF and an iPhone 3G that's been tested...

(Ben Stein voice) Anyone? Anyone?

Old 10-09-2008, 09:11 PM
desertmini21
4th Gear
If any one who has an '09 with the smartphone integration please let me know how it works.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:31 AM
cosmosmpower
3rd Gear
We're picking up our 09 tomorrow. We got comfort convenience but did not add the smartphone prep as we didn't understand the difference. The GF has an Iphone and I have an Iphone 3G so we'll report back shortly.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:43 AM
desertmini21
4th Gear
Anyone?

Old 10-13-2008, 12:55 PM
zarote
2nd Gear
I have a smartphone (Samsung 760i), but did not order the car with the smartphone adapter, because adventually I will be getting another smart phone etc..... I find the bluetooth works awesome with my phone; the car accepted my contact list and have full operation of the bluetooth and my phone is not even listed on the website for compatability.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:27 PM
PhoenixAscending
2nd Gear
I ordered the smartphone integration on my MCS but won't have the car until the first week of November. I've a 2nd Gen iPhone and the husbeast has a 3G. I'll report in when I receive the car.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:51 AM
cosmosmpower
3rd Gear
We picked up our 09 MCS saturday with comfort/convenience. Both the 1G and 3G iphones work with the supplied cable to charge and play music through the factory HU (although it does prompt a message on the phone that says it's not compatible).

The cable position is a bit awkward as you have to shove your phone into the cubby or in a cupholder if you don't do the smart phone integration. However, the center armrest is a POS and really cheap and the door is a pain to slide back and forth so I'm not sure I'd want the phone in there either.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:22 AM
desertmini21
4th Gear
Originally Posted by cosmosmpower
We picked up our 09 MCS saturday with comfort/convenience. Both the 1G and 3G iphones work with the supplied cable to charge and play music through the factory HU (although it does prompt a message on the phone that says it's not compatible).

The cable position is a bit awkward as you have to shove your phone into the cubby or in a cupholder if you don't do the smart phone integration. However, the center armrest is a POS and really cheap and the door is a pain to slide back and forth so I'm not sure I'd want the phone in there either.
Have you tried to configure the iPhone using the ports in the armrest?

Old 10-15-2008, 09:23 AM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
@ desertmini21: Thought you might be interested in this post:

Interior/Options:

Getting the Bluetooth and iPod stuff to work was somewhat confusing but eventually it worked. I haven't tested out all of the hands-free phone options yet. There is some charging compatibility issues with certain iPod versions (i.e., won't charge with the supplied cable). Also, I think the iPod integration set up is retarded. Should be able to hook the thing up in the glove box and forget it but instead the iPod sits in the cupholder and says "steal me." If you’ve a large library it takes forever to scroll through the list two entries at a time to find the right song or album. I plan on hooking up a smaller iPod with a limited library/playlist and refreshing it more often. A 60gig iPod just isn’t working for me.

<snip>

I also got the Smart Phone Prep for the armrest with the idea that I'd put my iPhone in there and could perform phone and iPod functions while hidden. A couple problems, the prep means little as you still have to buy a phone specific cradle. That's another $140 bucks. Unfortunately MINI/BMW does not make a cradle that fits the newest 3G iPhone. So I'm dead in the water until they catch up. (You can jam it into the first gen cradle (I tried) but it might get stuck and I don't think it'll charge.) If anyone has a work around or a way to attach a cable to the electronics in the armrest, please shout out.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:59 PM
desertmini21
4th Gear
Thank you nicknbecka for the information. The MCS should be here in a week, so I guess I will play with it when it arrives.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:24 PM
QkSilvr
1st Gear
Originally Posted by nicknbecka
also got the Smart Phone Prep for the armrest with the idea that I'd put my iPhone in there and could perform phone and iPod functions while hidden. A couple problems, the prep means little as you still have to buy a phone specific cradle. That's another $140 bucks. Unfortunately MINI/BMW does not make a cradle that fits the newest 3G iPhone. So I'm dead in the water until they catch up. (You can jam it into the first gen cradle (I tried) but it might get stuck and I don't think it'll charge.) If anyone has a work around or a way to attach a cable to the electronics in the armrest, please shout out.
Confirmed today. I have an '09 MCSa with Smart Phone Prep in the armrest. I was all excited when the Mini Parts dept @ the dealer called to say they got the cradle in for my iPhone 3G. I went during my lunch break to pick it up. The part was labled as being for the iPhone (no 3G mentioned) and "Hardware version 1.0". Before even trying to put it in my car, he asked if I wanted to check my phone in the cradle. I did. The iPhone 3G is slightly wider and thicker that the 1st gen one. My 3G didn't fit easily -- it took a bit of pressure to get it into the slot. He put the cradle into one of their showroom cars and my phone did begin to charge. Then the phone got stuck. It took a lot of effort to finally get the cradle to release my phone. I told him I'd pass on this cradle and wait for if/when BMW decided to make an iPhone 3G-specific cradle. Disappointing, but @ least I didn't buy & walk away with it...

Old 10-16-2008, 02:52 PM
desertmini21
4th Gear
Originally Posted by QkSilvr
Confirmed today. I have an '09 MCSa with Smart Phone Prep in the armrest. I was all excited when the Mini Parts dept @ the dealer called to say they got the cradle in for my iPhone 3G. I went during my lunch break to pick it up. The part was labled as being for the iPhone (no 3G mentioned) and "Hardware version 1.0". Before even trying to put it in my car, he asked if I wanted to check my phone in the cradle. I did. The iPhone 3G is slightly wider and thicker that the 1st gen one. My 3G didn't fit easily -- it took a bit of pressure to get it into the slot. He put the cradle into one of their showroom cars and my phone did begin to charge. Then the phone got stuck. It took a lot of effort to finally get the cradle to release my phone. I told him I'd pass on this cradle and wait for if/when BMW decided to make an iPhone 3G-specific cradle. Disappointing, but @ least I didn't buy & walk away with it...
Thank you for the information. I would think that BMW would design a cradle for the 3G soon. I think Apple has sold close to 10 million of the 2nd generation iPhones (3Gs), the cradles would definitely sell.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:21 PM
bstaps
1st Gear
I picked up my car a couple days ago and the dealer didn't know anything about it. It there a cable I can buy so I can hook up a ipod in the armrest?

Old 10-17-2008, 11:19 AM
QkSilvr
1st Gear
Originally Posted by bstaps
I picked up my car a couple days ago and the dealer didn't know anything about it. It there a cable I can buy so I can hook up a ipod in the armrest?
No. The armrest uses phone-specific cradles. The iPod connection is under the stereo in the center console.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:05 PM
jjp007
4th Gear

Thanks for the information. I was about to buy a cradle. Glad I waited!!

Old 10-18-2008, 06:50 AM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No. The armrest uses phone-specific cradles. The iPod connection is under the stereo in the center console.
That's the whole point of the "smartphone integration." It's supposed to let you connect the Iphone in the armrest and have it tied into the car's stereo system for music. Prior to this integration, if you put an Iphone in the armrest, it only connected it to a charger and the roof antenna. Without a way to use the USB connection for music.

This package is supposed to combine both the USB audio and the power/antenna connection into one cradle.

Old 10-18-2008, 04:45 PM
QkSilvr
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Minidrivr
That's the whole point of the "smartphone integration." It's supposed to let you connect the Iphone in the armrest and have it tied into the car's stereo system for music. Prior to this integration, if you put an Iphone in the armrest, it only connected it to a charger and the roof antenna. Without a way to use the USB connection for music.

This package is supposed to combine both the USB audio and the power/antenna connection into one cradle.
I think you misread. The person asked about using the iPod (not the iPhone) in the armrest. I informed them that the iPod cannot be used in the armrest as it uses phone-specific cradles in the armrest, not iPod cradles.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:16 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think you misread. The person asked about using the iPod (not the iPhone) in the armrest. I informed them that the iPod cannot be used in the armrest as it uses phone-specific cradles in the armrest, not iPod cradles.
Yep, mis-quoted.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:45 PM
SaltNPepa
4th Gear
QkSilvr was there and ETA for the 3g snap in?

Quick Reply: R56 Does anyone have an '09 w/Smartphone integration