R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Service manual options?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 10:25 AM
LeeW
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Service manual options?

I have a an '09 MCS on order and I have had no luck finding a service manual for the second generation cars. Haynes produces one for the pre-'07 cars but not the later R56. Are there any manuals out yet that I have missed?

Thanks

Old 09-08-2008, 11:03 AM
4xAAA
6th Gear
Couldn't find one either, gave up.

Too new, too few.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:11 PM
NSX JR
3rd Gear
email bentley publishers and ask them when it will be available.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:54 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
The BMW TIS service manual on DVD is available (pirated copies on eBay). Search eBay for "BMW TIS".

Old 09-09-2008, 07:39 AM
NSX JR
3rd Gear
Here's the response I got from Bentley.

Thank you for contacting Bentley Publishers. At this time, we do not have a firm publication date for the 2007 and later MINI Cooper Service manual. Your feedback is and important to us in our decision making process. We will try and get to it ASAP. Sorry I can't be more definitive.
I would imagine if a few more people email them about this they might make it a higher priority.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:38 AM
LeeW
1st Gear
Thanks for the replies. I did email Bentley and received exactly the same answer.

The BMW TIS disc may be the answer. Can it really contain detailed service info on everything that BMW/MINI makes on a single disc?

Old 09-09-2008, 12:08 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The TIS disc is actually pretty useful. When I had to get my compressor replaced, I looked it up on there and then when it went to the dealer I checked it out and it was right on. So it is very "textbook" for things, but still seems like you need some prior BMW knowledge/tools to really give it a good go. For now, for me at least, it is nice to have for the $13 on ebay

Ok so it does seem to have all the stuff I/you really would want like changing brake pads, oil changes, inspection check lists, but it is just not organized and takes a few tries to find

EDITED

Thank you rkw

Last edited by checkercoop; 09-10-2008 at 03:50 AM.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:28 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by checkercoop
Also, I haven't played around with it enough, but it does seem to be missing all the stuff I/you really would want like changing brake pads, oil changes, inspection check lists, but again I have not looked through it enough to definitively say it does not contain that stuff
The TIS does have all that stuff. That you didn't find it at first illustrates how awkward it is to find things in the TIS software. For example, do this to get the oil change procedure: Start with Vehicle Identification, then click on Document. For a 2007 R56 S, select Repair instructions ==> 00 Maintenance and General Data (N12) ==> RA 000610 Engine oil service incl. supplementary service (N12)

I wrote the following concerning the repair manuals for the 1st gen MINI. My comments will probably also apply to the R56 Bentley and Haynes when they become available.
Originally Posted by rkw
I'm crazy enough to have all three: Bentley, TIS, and Haynes. All of them are focused on procedures for assembling and disassembling the vehicle. If you need information beyond that, you will find them lacking.

For me, getting the TIS was a no brainer -- my copy was $10 shipped. The Bentley covers essentially the same material as the TIS. Photos and descriptions are so similar that I am convinced Bentley simply took the TIS disc and translated the material to book form. The TIS software has an awkward user interface, the topics are not well organized and it is frustrating having to try several paths to find the information you are looking for. Between the TIS and Bentley, I'd say that it comes down to whether you prefer soft or hard copy. The high price of the Bentley is hard to swallow. I think they purposely printed on thick and heavy paper and formatted pages with a lot of white empty space to increase the size and heft of the book to make you feel like you are getting your money's worth.

The Bentley does have wiring diagrams and the TIS does not. However, Bentley simply reprinted wiring diagrams from BMW's WDS service disc and they are very difficult to use in printed form. Moreover, the WDS can be accessed online here (use Internet Explorer not Firefox, and you need to install Adobe SVG viewer).

I also have the Haynes and I like it. TIS and Bentley are essentially same but Haynes was written from scratch and gives a different viewpoint. As a book it is smaller and lighter than the Bentley and more convenient to use. Although the book is much smaller (not to mention cheaper) than the Bentley it covers very much the same material. For electrical work, the Haynes is worth getting just for the clear and redrawn wiring diagrams. See Ian Cull (GBMINI)'s review here: http://www.gbmini.net/wp/2005/11/the...ual_for_minis/

Old 09-10-2008, 03:52 AM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
The TIS does have all that stuff. That you didn't find it at first illustrates how awkward it is to find things in the TIS software. For example, do this to get the oil change procedure: Start with Vehicle Identification, then click on Document. For a 2007 R56 S, select Repair instructions ==> 00 Maintenance and General Data (N12) ==> RA 000610 Engine oil service incl. supplementary service (N12)
Awesome thank you. I edited my post accordingly. I'm glad to know it does have all that stuff. I guess I will give it a good look over when I get some time. Have you gotten the whole VIN thing to work? Mine always gives me an invalid note and I think it looked like I needed the vin to access the inspection service portion?

Old 09-10-2008, 06:33 AM
condor27596
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, then you have had better luck with the TIS manual than I have.
I got the one for E36 off ebay (listed under E36 I think it was supposed
to have more than that) and it was a non loadable program.
I had the IT people at work check on it for me. No go. I had a friend
that owns an engineering firm with super talented geeks check it out,
no go also.

I ordered the TIS disk for the mini from a member on this site.
Exact same order of events happened.

So it anybody has this thing working I would really like to know
how you got it to work or where you got it.

I've emailed the Bentley place a while back, and sent in a physical
mail card.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:02 AM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Are you trying to run it on a mac? I know I had issue when installing it first on parallels because I tried to run it off of files copied to a folder, but it must be run from the CD to work. You have to first install the admin program that has the BMW splash screen and should autostart for install. Once the program is installed, you must open it and go under one of the menus (don't remember exactly which one, but there is only like 3 or 4) and find the install TIS. Should work from there

Originally Posted by condor27596
Well, then you have had better luck with the TIS manual than I have.
I got the one for E36 off ebay (listed under E36 I think it was supposed
to have more than that) and it was a non loadable program.
I had the IT people at work check on it for me. No go. I had a friend
that owns an engineering firm with super talented geeks check it out,
no go also.

I ordered the TIS disk for the mini from a member on this site.
Exact same order of events happened.

So it anybody has this thing working I would really like to know
how you got it to work or where you got it.

I've emailed the Bentley place a while back, and sent in a physical
mail card.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:31 AM
condor27596
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can't say I think so it just would not run.
I'll look at it again comming up.
I dont remember the details it seems like
it just would not load up at all.

It's been tried on 8 laptops and PCs by 3 or 4 different people.
In different places.

It just would not go.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:11 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you tried this WDS MINI online manual, that one is wiring and you must use Internet Explorer (I use version 7) and add a free Adobe Plug-in for it to work.

Also has good online Help site within it.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:40 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
condor27596, I don't know what to say. I've had two versions now with no problems. I was using a CD-based version I installed 3 years ago, and recently updated to a newer DVD-based version that includes R55/R56 (both cover all models of BMW and MINI up to the date it was published). I didn't do anything special for the installation.

Originally Posted by checkercoop
Have you gotten the whole VIN thing to work? Mine always gives me an invalid note and I think it looked like I needed the vin to access the inspection service portion?
Skip the VIN thing. Just choose by model (R50, R56, etc) and year. Select the latest year listed if your car is newer than that.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:55 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Ok so I looked over the program a little more and now I am convinced it is amazingly awesome haha It really does have a ton of things and seems to cover everything. Thanks rkw for showing the repair ==> maintenance section

condor27596,
did you order yours from ebay? If you want I could make a copy of mine and mail it over...maybe figure out just paying for shiping?