R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Steptronic transmission? Step-whatsit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 06:07 PM
emillkim
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sigh

Yeah, I know. I wasn't that hopeful it'd go down that way. I probably see if I could get MSRP for it or trade it for someone's low mileage MCS.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:17 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by emillkim
So this Mini convertible is non-S 2008. Is this the CVT type or not. The one point I'm still confused about.

Also the Dealer is making noise about me taking it as is and my only option is to sell it as a "used" car with 12 miles (???). The MSRP is 23 grand and change new. I'm wondering if another dealer would take it as a trade or basically as a new car?

Don't get me wrong. I'm super stoked and grateful I won but I wan't to do this Right the first time. I almost bought a honda fit earlier this year but decided to get the mini I want the way I want. This just happened to be serendipitous and getting me one step closer.

PS: In terms of winning. Y'know that disclaimer in most sweepstakes where they say 'No purchase required for entry." and you have to send a postcard to the stated address to enter.

Well... that's what I did for a local givewaway.
Congratulations on one very lucky win.

A 2008 Cabrio Non 'S' Automatic is the dreaded CVT Transmission.

You must remember that the value of this car to the dealer is going to be less than what he can get one from MINI-USA for.

I say 'less' because he will possibly lose whatever 'incentives' that pass from MINI-USA to the dealer for purchase of one more car.

However, should you purchase a different MINI from this dealer, it would cancel that 'one more' loss to that dealer and it would be reasonable to assume that your cost should be close to the difference (if any) between that Cabrio and the car you purchase. However the fly in the 'reasonable to assume' is that Car Dealers are in the business of maximizong return from each customer and that is just the way it is. But you will be best off to work with this dealer, your problem doubles with another dealer in the mix.

You will no doubt be ahead to have the dealer 'sell as used' without your ever taking title for value and tax factors, but if you check 'used prices' in general and at BMW/MINI Dealers in particular, you will see that they are asking well above MSRP for two year old 20k mile cars.

However the dealer expects to pay his MA and turn a profit and you can't blame him for that.

Go to AutoTrader.com and search MINI Coopers (all of 2007-2009) within 200 miles of your ZIP code and you will see.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:28 PM
emillkim
1st Gear
thanks

Thanks for the helpful info.

Best case scenario is that they would work with me to put the Value towards a MCS hardtop for whatever the going rate is...
Especially in light of the fact that this is a dreaded CVT.
I don't need unnecessary problems with my cars.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:45 PM
gbsim
3rd Gear
I had the good fortune to win a car also.... 3 years ago, a Ford Mustang (base model) from a fundraiser for the local high school band. Very exciting when they drew our name out of the big hopper at the HS halftime show!!
However, we didn't want it.... at the time we had 8 cars (don't ask.... 4 sons etc) and one son was about to graduate from college and we wanted to get rid of his old truck and get him a newer one. Nobody wanted a blue base non GT/non convertible Mustang.
The dealership made us take delivery, we drove it home 8 miles and it sat....We couldn't give the car away! We advertised it for several thousand below the then current selling price and got not one call. We tried at least 12 dealerships before we found one that was willing to take it as a trade for a used truck that they had on their lot. I think we got about 4.5K less than what we would have paid new for it with less than 20 miles on it, but honestly we were just glad to find somebody who would take it off our hands!

A Mini might be a different story though as people are actually waiting on them and they can be scarce on the used lots. But you might have a bit harder time if it is a bare bones model. I'd try and work out an advance trade if the dealership will let you.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:27 PM
fast2ghl
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats on the win!!!

I'll put my two cents in about the transmission as well. I currently own a 2008 MINI Cooper S with the Auto (Paddle/Whatever you wanna call it)... I test drove both the manual and the auto and I have to say the auto was surprisingly quick shifting. Before anyone attacks me here, I also test drove VW GTI's with the DSG several times, and they are super quick shifts too, but honestly, my MINI is just as quick, and I hate to say it manual guys, but I've read from several different reports on the new S with the new auto tranny, that after much testing, and many runs down the drag strip with both manual vs. auto MCS's, the auto consistently beats out the manual by about .2-.3 seconds. It's quicker, face it, I hate to say it, but it is.... Then again, there is no clutch, so you do loose the added fun there.

Really it's just a matter of personal preference, but in my opinion, and it seems like a few others on here as well, the new auto tranny shifts incredibly fast, specially in SPORT mode... It seems to have two modes, non SPORT its still quick, but theres a slight delay between when you tell it to shift, and when it does, its still much quicker then normal auto transmissions. However when in SPORT mode, theres virtually no difference bewtween the time it takes the MINI to shift, then the time it takes a GTI with the DSG to shift....

Food for thought....

Enjoy the car, whatever you decide to do, I'm enjoying the hell outta mine

Old 09-10-2008, 09:01 PM
nickminir56
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fast2ghl
Congrats on the win!!!

I'll put my two cents in about the transmission as well. I currently own a 2008 MINI Cooper S with the Auto (Paddle/Whatever you wanna call it)... I test drove both the manual and the auto and I have to say the auto was surprisingly quick shifting. Before anyone attacks me here, I also test drove VW GTI's with the DSG several times, and they are super quick shifts too, but honestly, my MINI is just as quick, and I hate to say it manual guys, but I've read from several different reports on the new S with the new auto tranny, that after much testing, and many runs down the drag strip with both manual vs. auto MCS's, the auto consistently beats out the manual by about .2-.3 seconds. It's quicker, face it, I hate to say it, but it is.... Then again, there is no clutch, so you do loose the added fun there.

Really it's just a matter of personal preference, but in my opinion, and it seems like a few others on here as well, the new auto tranny shifts incredibly fast, specially in SPORT mode... It seems to have two modes, non SPORT its still quick, but theres a slight delay between when you tell it to shift, and when it does, its still much quicker then normal auto transmissions. However when in SPORT mode, theres virtually no difference bewtween the time it takes the MINI to shift, then the time it takes a GTI with the DSG to shift....

Food for thought....

Enjoy the car, whatever you decide to do, I'm enjoying the hell outta mine
Agreed . I also test drove a GTI with DSG. The major difference between the DSG and R56's auto is the smoothness of the shift, not shift speed (my own observation: it's quicker than my friend's Porsche 6 speed tiptronic in sport mode, almost the same as 335i's steptronic). But again MCS is not about silky smooth refinement -- all you can feel is excitement .

Old 09-10-2008, 09:34 PM
wbarnhill
Coordinator :: Upstate MINIs
Thanks for the helpful info.

Best case scenario is that they would work with me to put the Value towards a MCS hardtop for whatever the going rate is...
Especially in light of the fact that this is a dreaded CVT.
I don't need unnecessary problems with my cars.
My suggestion:

Sell it privately. List as brand spankin new, explain that it's not exactly what you want, so you're looking to sell at less than MSRP. I have a pretty good feeling that considering the market for the MINI at the moment that you'll not only get a sale, but it'll be close enough to MSRP to make the deal that much sweeter for you.

Spend part of your sale for taxes you'll inevitably have on the "extra income" from winning the MINI, then the rest into a new MINI of YOUR choice (or even save a few bucks for aftermarket toys )

After building my MINI and loving that every last bit is exactly the way I want, I would never buy one off the lot, and if I won one, it'd get sold just like I stated above.

Just my two cents, but I think that's the best opportunity for you with no unwanted results. Congrats on the win and let us know what you decide!

Old 09-11-2008, 04:21 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree with wbarnhill.... sell it yourself as a "new" car - list it here on NAM an locally. Cabrios are somewhat rare - it's not uncommon for folks in the market for a MINI cabrio to travel long distances to get the car they want. This is an ESPECIALLY good time to sell one, because production on the R52 has ended and the R57 won't be available until spring 2009, and there aren't many new cabrios left on dealer lots, and people are CRAZY for MINIs right now with gas prices still pretty high. You should be able to get very close to MSRP for that car as a private sale. And, since the cabrio MSRP is $4500 more than a comparably equiped coupe, that gets you well on your way toward an R56 MCS...

Old 09-11-2008, 05:09 AM
Engender
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
I agree with wbarnhill.... sell it yourself as a "new" car - list it here on NAM an locally. Cabrios are somewhat rare - it's not uncommon for folks in the market for a MINI cabrio to travel long distances to get the car they want. This is an ESPECIALLY good time to sell one, because production on the R52 has ended and the R57 won't be available until spring 2009, and there aren't many new cabrios left on dealer lots, and people are CRAZY for MINIs right now with gas prices still pretty high. You should be able to get very close to MSRP for that car as a private sale. And, since the cabrio MSRP is $4500 more than a comparably equiped coupe, that gets you well on your way toward an R56 MCS...
Right, to emphasize that - you have about 6 months until ANYONE can order a new Mini Cooper Cabrio - S or no. They are not making them in the factory at the moment.

Not that I know, but I imagine that the dealer stocks must be dwindling. Meaning that your new Cabrio should be almost worth MSRP. Offer it for just under to let people think they are getting a deal, but don't let anyone low ball you.

Now you know... and knowing is half the battle.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:26 AM
Mr Ray
3rd Gear
So this Mini convertible is non-S 2008. Is this the CVT type or not. The one point I'm still confused about.

Also the Dealer is making noise about me taking it as is and my only option is to sell it as a "used" car with 12 miles (???). The MSRP is 23 grand and change new. I'm wondering if another dealer would take it as a trade or basically as a new car?

Don't get me wrong. I'm super stoked and grateful I won but I wan't to do this Right the first time. I almost bought a honda fit earlier this year but decided to get the mini I want the way I want. This just happened to be serendipitous and getting me one step closer.

PS: In terms of winning. Y'know that disclaimer in most sweepstakes where they say 'No purchase required for entry." and you have to send a postcard to the stated address to enter.

Well... that's what I did for a local givewaway.
Won't the dealer let you order what you want and just credit you the value? Its not like he would have any trouble selling it probably has people waiting for both and thats why he wants you to make up your mind in a hurry.
Never Mind didnt see your other post

Old 09-11-2008, 08:28 AM
corcoranwtnet
4th Gear
Tax Tip

Before you take delivery, get the dealer to provide you (IN WRITING) how much he'd give you (in cash) for the car. That amount is what you declare on your federal taxes as your winnings. If the raffle folks have already declared a higher value to the IRS, contest it! If the car won't bring MSRP from the dealer, new, then it should not be taxed at that amount.

You may want to get an independent opinion from a tax attorney or CPA, but my father contested the MSRP when my sister won china, silver, and crystal on "The Price is Right" and the IRS agreed.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:57 AM
emillkim
1st Gear
Thanks for all the good info!
Tell me something though. The current MCS coupe is an R57 right? It's the cabrio that hasn't been updated yet? Correct or no?

Old 09-11-2008, 11:11 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Current coupe is R56. New cabrio will be R57. They are both based on the 2nd gen MINI platform (same engine and mechanicals).

Old 09-11-2008, 11:23 AM
emillkim
1st Gear
So when is the r57 coupe (hardtop) coming out. I''m asking because it gives me a window on how long the wait will be and the time frame I could have to sell this car.

By the way, I love the people on this forum.
Thanks for the love

Old 09-11-2008, 11:38 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
So when is the r57 coupe (hardtop) coming out. ...
The R57 designation is just for the cabrio, and will start delivering in Spring '09. R56 is the hardtop coupe.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:03 PM
wbarnhill
So when is the r57 coupe (hardtop) coming out. I''m asking because it gives me a window on how long the wait will be and the time frame I could have to sell this car.

By the way, I love the people on this forum.
Thanks for the love
As noted, the R57 is the designation for the new Convertible, which is based on the same design as the R56 which is the new Coupe (aka Hardtop) and has been out since 2007.

If you're looking for a new MCS Hardtop, you can order one now. The wait is probably between one month and two months considering demand and your location (West coast takes longer to receive). Heck, you'd probably REALLY enjoy a 2009 JCW...

Old 09-11-2008, 12:03 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Exactly. The R57 is the convertible version of the R56 coupe. Just like the R52 lagged the R50/53 by 2 years, so the R57 is being release two years after the coupe based on the same platform (the R56).

So, just to reiterate - MINI is no longer producing R52 convertibles (what you won). Stopped about a month ago. There is very little stock left at dealers. Many dealers have none. Demand is high for MINIs of all kinds right now. The non-S R52 gets much better gas mileage than the MCS version, which may actually make it more desirable to many buyers. The next-generation cabrio (R57) is expected to be available in the US in the March/April timeframe. It will have more power and get better mileage than the R52. So you best bet is to sell the R52 this fall, which is prime convertible selling season in much of the country...

And, yes, you can order an R56 coupe right now. Wait time depends on the allocation availability of the specific dealer you choose - could be 6-11 weeks typically.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:06 PM
Dr. Pepper
4th Gear
Originally Posted by corcoranwtnet
Before you take delivery, get the dealer to provide you (IN WRITING) how much he'd give you (in cash) for the car. That amount is what you declare on your federal taxes as your winnings. If the raffle folks have already declared a higher value to the IRS, contest it! If the car won't bring MSRP from the dealer, new, then it should not be taxed at that amount.

You may want to get an independent opinion from a tax attorney or CPA, but my father contested the MSRP when my sister won china, silver, and crystal on "The Price is Right" and the IRS agreed.
When I won My MCC I was issued a form1099 for $23,500 from Dr. Pepper. It was listed as Misc. income. You also pay sales tax on that amount before you can drive it off the lot. I would sell it privately and then buy what you really want. Of course you don't have to accept the prize at all.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:56 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
all this macho man-speak of delays in shifting with the Aisin 6-speed automatic in M mode is pure nonsense. ive driven 2, stock 2008 MCSa demos well broken in and there was virtually no delay whatsoever up and down in the top 4 gears, at any speed, and barely discernable on the lower 2. There are plenty of other motorers on this forum that will back up this statement.

The cars were an absolute freaking blast to drive. It's an otherworldly experience shifting gears with both hands on the wheel--while turning--and sooo F-1. Ask any stock auto-x'er as he smokes the stick guy on a regular basis--and Im a devoted stick guy, been so all my life.

But two other factors pushed me to ordering this tranny with my new MCS: I vowed never to buy any BMW product with a manual clutch ever again after all the problems I had with my first MCS (and other folks I know with the same issues), and impending left knee surgery. Plus now one can get the JCW Stage I tuning kit for the automatic. All is bliss, all is bliss.

But the CVT? That's a granny tranny. When my MCS was in for clutch problems Id sometimes get a CVT loaner and it was hell. And the only used MINIs I ever see on lots anymore usually have a CVT.

So I say sell it. To a granny.

Last edited by sequence; 09-11-2008 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:05 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Amen, brother.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:19 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
It's the CVT 5 speed AT (unfortunately). You can sell it as new, just don't drive it and keep the paperwork. You've gonna have to pay taxes on it, but I'd sell and get what you want when you want it. You'll get more than you think from a private party at this point in time. Minis are hot items and bring an even higher price than they used to (and they used to be the highest resale car value anyway).

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 09-11-2008 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:50 PM
IzzyG
6th Gear
Another thing no one has mentioned is taxes on the new car. Selling it privately means you'd have to pay full tax on the new car. However, if you trade it, you'll save on taxes. So basically a 20k car, that's a little over a grand in WI(5.1%). Just another cost to take into consideration.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:13 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
come to think of it, yeah I'd trade it. U have nothing to lose and a lot to gain, tax-break-wise

Old 09-12-2008, 11:35 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by IzzyG
Another thing no one has mentioned is taxes on the new car. Selling it privately means you'd have to pay full tax on the new car. However, if you trade it, you'll save on taxes. So basically a 20k car, that's a little over a grand in WI(5.1%). Just another cost to take into consideration.
Wrong. You'll be taxed (income tax, and maybe sales tax depending on the fine print in the drawing) on the "free" car to matter what you do with it unless you give it away. If you trade it you are taxed on the trade value (because unlike a trade of your car taxes have never been paid on the income that was used to pay for the car), if you sell it you're taxed on the sale price, if you keep it you're taxed on the fair value of the car according to the IRS.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:07 PM
wbarnhill
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Wrong. You'll be taxed (income tax, and maybe sales tax depending on the fine print in the drawing) on the "free" car to matter what you do with it unless you give it away. If you trade it you are taxed on the trade value (because unlike a trade of your car taxes have never been paid on the income that was used to pay for the car), if you sell it you're taxed on the sale price, if you keep it you're taxed on the fair value of the car according to the IRS.
Even giving the car away, the tax liability still exists. The people who ran the contest will report that you were given a car worth X dollars. You'll receive a 1099-MISC for miscellaneous income with that amount listed. You can offset the tax by getting a tax deduction if you give the car away to a charity or something, but even then you could have the problem of the contest operators saying MSRP and the charity saying Fair Market Value, which could leave you still having to pay for whatever the tax on the difference is.

In the end, if it's not the car you want, it's not worth the hassle of scraping together the taxes for the car. Better to sell it, pay the taxes out of what you get for the sale, and put the rest in as a down payment on the car you DO want.

Quick Reply: R56 Steptronic transmission? Step-whatsit?