R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Steptronic transmission? Step-whatsit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 11:12 PM
emillkim
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steptronic transmission? Step-whatsit?

Hi NAM folk,

I love driving stick (aka manual transmission) but I happened to win a 2008 Mini convertible.

(pause)...Yes, Woo-Hoo!

Now here's the issue. It has a steptronic transmission (paddle shifters). Like I said before I'm a stick fanatic. Now I have the option of taking this boon from the Gods or trading it in for another mini with a stick but a Hard top MCS.

My question is

1. whether anyone owns a steptronic on the NAM site.
2. What their (or anyone's) relative experience and opinion is between paddle shifters and a regular manual transmission (ie clutch).
3. Wear and tear, reliability issues with new tech like steptronic?

I have time before I have to make a decision. I'd just really like some opinions.

thanks-namaste

-ek

Old 09-09-2008, 11:42 PM
beckham23
2nd Gear
1. A lot of folks here
2. While mine is manual, I can only tell you steptronic is automatic after all. It does give you the option to do the shifting using the paddles...do expect the normal delay in shifting...
3. This is not new tech. Steptronic's been around for at least 8 years...if not more.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:10 AM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
First item to check is if the Cabrio is an 'S' or not; the 'justaCooper' Cabrio's (unlike the R56 Coupes) were still using the CVT Automatic, which should be avoided.

I do love the Aisin six-speed automatic, (which you would get on an 'S' Cabrio) but would take the R56 Coupe ('S' or not) for the Prince Engine,
especially if you could get the Sunroof.

All the Cabrio's still used the Chrysler-Brazil Engine, a Prince-Engine version Cabrio is expected next spring/summer.

Last edited by pilotart; 09-10-2008 at 02:36 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-10-2008, 01:49 AM
Sketch
5th Gear
I have an auto on my '07 Cooper S and i love it. Since I am a new driver, it is very handy since I can keep my eyes more on the road and not what gear I am in. But- when your a little bored, nothing gets your senses going like putting your paddle shifters to work and having a great time!! But a proper 6-speed manual is probably more fun- especially if thats what your used to!

Old 09-10-2008, 02:32 AM
pilotart
6th Gear
For many years, in the past, I had preferred Stick over Automatic.

However for the MINI, the Steptronic was the choice by far, automatics have sure come a long way

As for reliability; the older CVT Automatic has the most complaints on NAM as well as on this Buyer's Guide.

There are more issues reported on NAM for Clutch/Gears of the Manual than are seen for the Aisin Automatic Version.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:05 AM
jggimi
3rd Gear
If there are paddles, then this is not the CVT.

The AT transmission in the R56 is a well-regarded Aisin 6-speed Lepelletier automatic transmission. There are 7 operating modes:

Sport button disengaged:
  1. "D" -- economy. 2nd-6th gear are used automatically, keeping RPM as low as possible.
  2. Paddle shifting while in "D" -- temporary shift to manual ("M") mode; it will revert to "D" after 8 seconds while not under load.
  3. "DS" -- shifting the stick to the left from "D" -- higher RPMs held, 1st-5th gears used automatically.
  4. "M" -- shifting +/- from "DS" with the stick or paddles. Full-time manual. Trans will automatically upshift to keep you out of redline, will automatically downshift to keep RPMs at idle. It will not automatically downshift to 1st since the vehicle can begin motion in 2nd (see "D" above), you will need to manually select 1st gear at stops. if desired.
Sport button engaged (stiffens steering and changes throttle map, too):
  1. "DS" -- stick in "D" or in "DS" position, similar behavior to mode 3 above. Fully automatic, 1st-5th gears. However, AT will attempt to keep the RPMs in the power band at all times. Significantly more agressive than "DS" mode 3 above.
  2. Paddle shifting while in "DS" and stick in "D" position: temporary manual "M" mode, as mode 2 above.
  3. "M" as mode 4, above.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:12 AM
Tennessee Cutty
2nd Gear
So how did you win a Mini??????????

Old 09-10-2008, 04:24 AM
DrewN
6th Gear
While steptronic will never replace the direct feel of a clutch, there is some fun to be had. If you can, go to a dealership and test drive one, that's the only way to make sure.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:08 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
I've driven manuals all my life.

In 2002 I leased a BMW 530i with a 5-sp Steptronic. When I test drove it I thought it would be OK since I could manual shift it. I regretted that decision within a week of taking delivery. It was still a slushbox with lag and performance penalties. I recently drove a BMW 335i with the 6-sp Steptronic. It is much improved, but still not quite like a manual (or the SMG II on my M3). I'm getting my MINI today, with a manual.

IMHO, autos are on their way out in the future, in favor of double-clutch gearboxes, like that on the new M3.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:16 AM
AeroJammin
5th Gear
Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts
There is a CVT paddle system for Euro MINIs
http://www.motoringfile.com/2003/12/...lyRetrofitted/

Old 09-10-2008, 05:23 AM
jggimi
3rd Gear
Thanks, AeroJammin. I hadn't known that.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:32 AM
hardingsan
4th Gear
i got a chance to drive the auto (my personal clubman is a stick) when my clubman was at the dealers for stripes. while not as fun as the manual, the paddle-shifting automatic proved more entertaining than most manu-matics. the mini's transmission let's you go all the way to redline if you like and proved to be much closer to an actual manual than most others.

i agree, go to a dealership and testdrive both.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:50 AM
RobAP
1st Gear
i test drove the same car with 6-spd. and then one with the step-tronic. a regular old cooper that the dealer had insane amounts of stripes and checkers on it.
when using the paddles, it had a 1.0 second delay for up and down shifts. i timed it. it does down-shift for you when coming to a stop or slowing below a set target rev. Personally I have no problems with automatics in cars, but when theres this delay, it's a waste of time to have flappy paddle shifting when it still wont shift when you want it to....a second is a long time when motoring spirited...and the paddles are used mostly when your driving that way right? (i know i'm making assumptions here...)

its just not my style. it should shift immediately. You could probably get some good coin for it as the buyer would pay a premium for not waiting and then you could go get the one you really want perhaps?
just trying to be helpful.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:08 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RobAP
Personally I have no problems with automatics in cars, but when theres this delay, it's a waste of time to have flappy paddle shifting when it still wont shift when you want it to....a second is a long time when motoring spirited...and the paddles are used mostly when your driving that way right? (i know i'm making assumptions here...)

its just not my style. it should shift immediately....
That's why the SMG II in the E46 M3 and the DCT in the new M3 are so great. Paddle shifting with 80ms shifts. And with the DCT, no interruption in acceleration.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:50 AM
pepperwhitemcs
1st Gear
My wife and I bought a new mini cooper 6 weeks ago, and we bought an automatic. Having driven a stick since I started driving, I was purely against it, but my wife hasn't learned how to drive a stick yet. So being the good husband that I am, I let her win.

I am surprised at how much I do like the steptronic. It doesn't have a clutch, but it is still pretty fun to drive. Driving with the paddles in sport mode can def. provide some fun.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:01 AM
Engender
3rd Gear
As the 2008 MINI convertable does not have the updated engine or the updated transmission, to my knowledge, I would suggest you trade it in for a 2008 Hardtop, which will have a more fuel efficent engine plus more saftey features - either manual or automatic.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:28 AM
beckham23
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by RaceTripper
That's why the SMG II in the E46 M3 and the DCT in the new M3 are so great. Paddle shifting with 80ms shifts. And with the DCT, no interruption in acceleration.
That's what I was implying regarding steptronics...don't think too much about this being any different than automatics, just that you have the option to do the shifting yourself. However, lag is still there, just like automatic.

If Mini has a SMG or DCT type of transmission, you bet I will give up that clutch. I can only attest that the SMG on my M3 is much quicker than my shift...plus, you will really love it when you are tracking. Are you on m3forum?

Old 09-10-2008, 11:47 AM
pilotart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Engender
As the 2008 MINI convertable does not have the updated engine or the updated transmission, to my knowledge, I would suggest you trade it in for a 2008 Hardtop, which will have a more fuel efficent engine plus more saftey features - either manual or automatic.
I would agree as well, but it should be mentioned that All Super MINI's (MCS's) including Convertibles have had the 'improved' Aisin six speed steptronic transmission installed since the 2005 model year.

It was the non-'S' Cabrio that still had the CVT (or the five speed manual) through 2008 model. wikipedia:
BMW used a belt-drive CVT as an option for the low- and middle-range MINI in 2001, forsaking it only on the supercharged version of the car where the increased torque levels demanded a conventional automatic gearbox. The CVT could also be manually "shifted" if desired with software-simulated shift points.
This was the CVT's Simulated Six Speed "steptronic" version.

The MC (just'aCooper) Coupe got the Aisin Transmission with 2007 and 2nd Gen Convertible is expected to be a mid-2009 rollout with all the upgrades of the 2007+ Coupe and 2008+ Clubman.

Also, it was mentioned above that some steptronics take a second to complete a shift, this is not true at all with mine; upshift or downshift are much faster than a manual, unless it were 'speed-shifted' and that would not be something you would do regularly, since you cannot replace syncro clutches,
but must replace the entire transmission.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:57 AM
beckham23
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by pilotart
Also, it was mentioned above that some steptronics take a second to complete a shift, this is not true at all with mine; upshift or downshift are much faster than a manual, unless it were 'speed-shifted' and that would not be something you would do regularly, since you cannot replace syncro clutches,
but must replace the entire transmission.
Not trying to turn this into a hate war, since I have all the respect for automatic as I struggled between the two transmission option (since my wife can't drive manual)...but do take a chance to test drive the new M3 w/ DCT, or easier yet, a VW R32 w/ DSG...you will know what lag we're all referring to. If there is no lag with traditional automatic or steptronic (you are not moving away from having the need of a torque converter after all), why would most manufacturers are moving on from steptronic to the dual clutch transmission? Porsche just did it from steptronic to PDK (their gimmick name for their version of dual clutch).

Anyway, auto or manual, we all love each other.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:03 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
The big reason to go to DSG type tranny over traditional torque converter automatic is efficiency and feel of the direct-connection between engine and wheels that you lose with a torque converter. But, for practical purposes, a torque converter transmission can shift as fast as a dual-clutch type, or close enough that it doesn't matter.

So it depends on what your definition of "lag" is... if you mean "power lag", then yes, that's the torque converter. If you mean time lag to complete the shift, then that's not necessarily a problem ...

Personally, I love my Steptronic. I greatly prefer it for crazy twisty driving. But if I ever buy a track car, it will have a manual.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:20 PM
jggimi
3rd Gear
I grew up with sticks. I prefer sticks except in vehicles where they make no sense, such as golf carts and mini vans.

I ended up with the Aisin AT on my R56 because that was what was on the dealer's lot in the color and with other options I was interested in. I'd test driven the AT and felt it worked fine, for me.

And I absolutely love Sport-button DS mode; the computer selected shift points seem to be better than my own choices.

I most often drive my daily commute in Sport-button/M mode -- about 115 miles/day.

My primary shift is via paddle, I shift via the stick when in corners. (When I went to racing school I was taught hand positions that preclude using paddles when the steering wheel is turned.)

Old 09-10-2008, 01:39 PM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by beckham23
That's what I was implying regarding steptronics...don't think too much about this being any different than automatics, just that you have the option to do the shifting yourself. However, lag is still there, just like automatic.

If Mini has a SMG or DCT type of transmission, you bet I will give up that clutch. I can only attest that the SMG on my M3 is much quicker than my shift...plus, you will really love it when you are tracking. Are you on m3forum?
I do track my M3, and plan to track my JCW.

I was on m3forum. Please don't take this personally, but I got really tired of that place. It was all about bling and kill stories, and less about what I would consider more interesting (tracking, attending races). I even got sucked into that to some little extent, but saved myself before I wasted a lot of money on stuff I didn't need. A lot of m3forum is BS. If you listen to what they tell you you would think your M3 won't work on public roads without installing a $6K 6-piston Brembo BBK. An M3 doesn't even need that for doing DEs.

I kept my M3 totally stock, with the exception of SS brake lines, and swapping out the front pads for slightly better ones on track weekends. I'll only have the car a little longer, now that I have my JCW (delivered today).

SMG II really shines on the track. That's where it's awesomeness really comes out. Can't wait to try a DCT on the rack, but that is some years away -- I plan to get a E92 M3 in 4-5 years.

Last edited by RaceTripper; 09-10-2008 at 02:05 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:03 PM
Dr. Pepper
4th Gear
Congrats on winning your Mini. I won my 06MCC too! Thank you Dr. Pepper! If you do a lot of stop and go commuting I'd recommend the automatic. You can have both worlds when you want them. The r56 is also quicker 0-60mph with the automatic, according to all the car magazines. Remember, your free car will cost you aleast 10grand in various taxes, so take that into consideration when deciding to sell or keep.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:11 PM
emillkim
1st Gear
Thanks for the responses

So this Mini convertible is non-S 2008. Is this the CVT type or not. The one point I'm still confused about.

Also the Dealer is making noise about me taking it as is and my only option is to sell it as a "used" car with 12 miles (???). The MSRP is 23 grand and change new. I'm wondering if another dealer would take it as a trade or basically as a new car?

Don't get me wrong. I'm super stoked and grateful I won but I wan't to do this Right the first time. I almost bought a honda fit earlier this year but decided to get the mini I want the way I want. This just happened to be serendipitous and getting me one step closer.

PS: In terms of winning. Y'know that disclaimer in most sweepstakes where they say 'No purchase required for entry." and you have to send a postcard to the stated address to enter.

Well... that's what I did for a local givewaway.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:22 PM
bluemeanie357
4th Gear
A dealer's never going to treat it as a new car, maybe you can sell it privately and put the money towards an MCS.

Quick Reply: R56 Steptronic transmission? Step-whatsit?