R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Passenger window failed, half down.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 03:23 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Passenger window failed, half down.

I've seen lots of threads about windows failing, but none exactly like this, and the standard fixes don't seem to work.

Shawn's windows have been working perfectly for the 4 monhs we've had him. Then suddenly this afternoon I tried to close the windows and the passenger side window auto backed off to half way up. I tried various methods to get it to go up and stay up. Push and hold didn't help, it still bounced down. The procedure in the manual (push and hold, then push and hold again) didn't work, the window still backed down. There didn't seem to be anything stopping the window going all the way up.

Then in the middle of all the experimenting, it went half way down and stayed there. No movement in any direction. I had to leave him in the parking lot with a half open window.

I've got a call into the service advisor, I hope they can see him as an emergency. You can't go many places when you can't even secure your car.

I'll go try the hit the panel between the speaker and the handle idea.

I'll also have to see if the fuse is good.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:48 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
When I got back to Shawn, the Windows would move, but was still refusing to stay up. Maybe the motor overheated and needed to cool off.

However, the trick of hitting the door trim between the speaker and handle worked. The window went up and stayed up after that. At least the car can now be secured. I think I'll avoid using the passenger window (or door) until it can be looked at.

Old 09-22-2008, 04:23 PM
georgia7377
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my passenger window had issues too. Had mine since Aug 8th. The dealer updated and reset the software and now everything is fine. Maybe they need to do your too. They said there have been a lot of complaints for the windows.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:40 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
When I got back to Shawn this evening the passenger window was half way down. I've read of windows which have a mind of their own like that. The window was back to refusing to close again. It took a couple of attempts at banging the door panel before it'd close.

At least the window's closed now (as far as I know).

Old 09-23-2008, 06:10 AM
pepperwhitemcs
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The same thing happened to mine two weeks ago. If the window stops working, you have to turn the car off and then on again and it will work. I called my mini dealership, and they said it sounds like the switch has to be reset. I did what they told me and it didn't work.

It turns out that the computer software for that window/door had to be reset. My SA told me that the door for some reason thought that it was open... hence why it rolled down halfway. I don't know why it happened, and neither did he, he said it was just one of those things. All I know is that he reset the software, and it works fine now.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:55 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
I had a similiar problem. Windows need to reprogrammed sometimes. (we have to do it many times in our bodyshop if we disconnect the batteries)

You may want to call your service advisor to verify but you have to turn the ignition on.

You roll BOTH windows down, then up and then down again AT THE SAME TIME.

This reinitalizes the settings for the computer.

I had this happen to me after owning my car for a couple of months. I called the dealer, I did it immediately and it worked immediately.

HTH's,

Mark

Old 09-24-2008, 09:34 AM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Shawn's at the dealer today, the SA said they could look at him on an emergency basis.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:45 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
They said they did a software upgrade on the Windows. We haven't had any trouble since, but then we hadn't had any trouble before.