R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Bad News - '09MCS & '09MCCS Orders

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 04:52 PM
Engender
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eurotrash01
http://www.leftlanenews.com/mini-coo...specifications

The 2009 MCS specs are here.

Where's my car!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I left an angry response at ASK-MINI to be passed on to senior management)
Please keep at this! Also, does anyone know how to contact BMW corporate? We need to call everyone we can think of. If you can find a good number to call, please post in this thread.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:26 PM
aznative
1st Gear
I tried ASKMINI and they "don't know anything about it". Well, then, who does??

Old 09-24-2008, 06:53 PM
Herby74
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This has just been an inopportune time to order a Mini. Production was slowed down for '09 model assembly line adjustments, as well as for worker vacations in August. Now this. Nothing else to do but wait it out and try
to be patient. If you order it, it will come.....eventually. Hang in there, fellow motorers!

Old 09-25-2008, 04:49 AM
Engender
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Herby74
This has just been an inopportune time to order a Mini. Production was slowed down for '09 model assembly line adjustments, as well as for worker vacations in August. Now this. Nothing else to do but wait it out and try
to be patient. If you order it, it will come.....eventually. Hang in there, fellow motorers!
Respectfully, Herby, I disagree. I think we are in a good position to put pressure on BMW to "officially release" the cars as soon as possible. Unless, of course, the hang-up is with the EPA - then they should tell us that.

I, for one, plan to call ASK MINI again today and register a complaint... also, you think we should contact some car magazine/website/blogs about this? Maybe try to get an actual reporter looking into the situation? If so, could you guys suggest a website/magazine I should contact to get that process started?

Old 09-25-2008, 06:43 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
calm down, campers. this epa cert issue @vdc is normal for new model year releases, every car brand imported to the US has to go thru this procedure. It will get done in a timely manner. I know it's hellish to have wait even longer, but that's the price U pay for being the first week of new model year production. There's nothing you can do right now unless you thrive on bitching and moaning to a faceless bureaucracy. So just pop a lithium and chill; they will be released soon. dont get so worked up over something you have NO control over.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:17 AM
Engender
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by sequence
calm down, campers. this epa cert issue @vdc is normal for new model year releases, every car brand imported to the US has to go thru this procedure. It will get done in a timely manner. I know it's hellish to have wait even longer, but that's the price U pay for being the first week of new model year production. There's nothing you can do right now unless you thrive on bitching and moaning to a faceless bureaucracy. So just pop a lithium and chill; they will be released soon. dont get so worked up over something you have NO control over.
Okay, sequence, can you tell me how soon? Will it be days? Weeks? Months? I have to rent a car, so if I don't get my car by Saturday I have to hop on Priceline and rent another car for another week.

It's not the wait as much as the lack of precision that is bothering me. If they said, "all cars will be released the week of Oct 3rd" -fine. I'd rent a car until then. Then, of course, there is all this tracking ability that allows me to guesstimate when the car will show, and base my car rentals on that. If I could just get a delivery date, I would be happy to wait.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:34 AM
MiniCS
2nd Gear
I also received confirmation from my MA yesterday that EPA cert. is the hold up.

As for "exact date", EPA is a government agency after all... Then again, since this is a fairly standard procedure year after year, you would expect they can tell you how long it will take.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:03 AM
bluemeanie357
4th Gear
This ain't Fedex, the EPA will release them when they get around to testing them. As for the order tracker it doesn't give a delivery date or any sort of guarantee, so it sucks to be renting a car during this time. I'm trying to sell my daily driver while I'm waiting. If I get a good offer I'll be in the same boat, trying to borrow a car or visit Rent-a-wreck in the meanwhile!!
Everyone says that once the car is at the VDC, it's the hardest part of the waiting... and that's where we are. I'm gonna go visit Brooklyn Brewery this weekend and drink to forget

Old 09-25-2008, 12:46 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Engender
It's not the wait as much as the lack of precision that is bothering me.
No disrespect intended, but if this "lack of precision" is what's bothering you, then you should know that the whole manufacturing and shipping process is less than precise with these cars-- the OL's perpetual inaccuracy is a good example. Past EPA certs have taken about a week after the first new MY cars arrive at VDCs; they have to get them done as fast as possible or it will create VDC logjams that will *really* hold yr car up.

And a previous poster nailed it spot-on: VDC is the biggest roadblock in getting our cars, because of all the post-pond journey cleanups and inspections and remainder factory work that has to be done before it goes to yr dealer, not to mention repairs of any possible damage (this has to be disclosed to you if it happens to yr car.)

But dont work yrself up sick over this "lack of precision." It's simply not worth it!

Old 09-25-2008, 12:49 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bluemeanie357
I'm gonna go visit Brooklyn Brewery this weekend and drink to forget
Now *this* guy understands... it's just the way it is. Roll with it.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:58 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Herby74
This has just been an inopportune time to order a Mini. Production was slowed down for '09 model assembly line adjustments, as well as for worker vacations in August. Now this.
OK, heed Herby74, for he is wise beyond his years. Rule of ordering a MINI #1: order any other time of the year but late summer just before the model year switch, then U dont have to deal with all these new niggling and frustrating MY factors that conspire against our motoring happiness!

Old 09-25-2008, 02:11 PM
zarote
2nd Gear
I think it's bullsh*t. We have had '09 Nissan's here for awhile now (both US and Japanese made). I would find it hard to believe that Mini (or any other manufacturer) would not have already anticipated this.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:39 PM
Browser_23
4th Gear
Originally Posted by zarote
I think it's bullsh*t. We have had '09 Nissan's here for awhile now (both US and Japanese made). I would find it hard to believe that Mini (or any other manufacturer) would not have already anticipated this.
Well, the situation is a little different. How many people special order Nissans and Toyotas? Virtually none. So they aren't seeing any delays when the cars are offloaded from ships in the USA. The cars are already here. if one dealer does not have what they want the dealer shops around to other dealers to get it (maybe). So MINI's are a special bread because a huge percentage are special order are are not usually bought off the lot.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:08 PM
Ron H
2nd Gear
So the 09 JCW is not effected by this?

Old 09-25-2008, 06:15 PM
Wizeguy9999
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Ron H
My understanding is that the Cooper and Clubman are affected, because they are the first of the 09's hitting the shore.

The 09 JCW has been here a while.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:19 PM
Calmante
3rd Gear
Oh my goodness. The whining is deafening.

There are people on this forum who have waited for up to a year for their MINI. Sorry, I feel no pity here.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:30 PM
Wizeguy9999
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Calmante

There are people on this forum who have waited for up to a year for their MINI. Sorry, I feel no pity here.
Agreed 100%!

What's really irritating are the people who feel like posting this issue in every other forum possible.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:09 PM
Krafty04
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Calmante

Ditto!

Stationed in Azores (Islands in Atlantic) so MINI was ordered through Mil Sales in Germany. Try this out:

Ordered March 2008. Built July 2008. Shipped from England to Germany. Plated (Military Sales). Put on Integrity 2 Sep, Germany to England to Baltimore. Customs for a week or so... Might be available this week or next.

That's 7 months. Keep in mind my test drive was a trip to Germany in Sep of 2007. So I test drove a 07 "S" and ordered an 08 "S" in March. I have NEVER even driven an 2008. I have not been inside a Cooper in over one year. Received pics two months ago and I still don't have the car. I shouldn't even be on here, ughhh. People wonder why they come out of Wal-Mart and I'm drooling all over thier windows... (sorry).

At least my drive home from picking up the car from the Port in BWI will accomplish the break-in. It's about 900 miles and that's good enough for me. Plus, no VPC woes. I went on Integrity as a RORO, a personal transport.

Want to see a pic?

Attached Thumbnails Bad News - '09MCS & '09MCCS Orders-front-corner.jpg   Bad News - '09MCS & '09MCCS Orders-interior.jpg   Bad News - '09MCS & '09MCCS Orders-rear-side.jpg  
Old 09-26-2008, 05:27 AM
sequence
6th Gear
wow. more angst here than a Proust novel

Old 09-26-2008, 05:45 AM
bluemeanie357
4th Gear
Good things come to those who wait. Plus it's raining today, I'd feel bad getting the car dirty on day one :D

I already watched all the Hammer & Coops and the commercials in the best commercial thread, maybe I'll look for a Smeg Mini Cooper S refrigerator on ebay while I wait

Old 09-26-2008, 05:48 AM
proximal
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 09-26-2008, 05:59 AM
Apple
6th Gear
Heck it hard, but nothing you can really do move on.....

Old 09-26-2008, 07:38 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ron H
The first JCWs had to go thru the same EPA cert process, it's just they arrived earlier.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:56 AM
bluemeanie357
4th Gear
Does anyone know how long it took for them?

Old 09-26-2008, 08:24 AM
Mr Ray
3rd Gear
VEHICLES HAVE BEEN RELEASED TO THE CARRIER! EPA TESTING IS COMPLETE.
Just got a call from my MA ~17 vehicals were from my dealer in NJ that were held up for testing.
Could be delivered as early as this afternoon or tomorrow. I should have it by Wednesday?

Quick Reply: R56 Bad News - '09MCS & '09MCCS Orders