R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 To "S" or not to "S"

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 11:16 AM
Dwell
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and if anything, get an S so you don't have to sit in a forum justifying why you got the Non S.

i cant take it anymore! someone, get me off this thread!

hell, do whatever you want OP. go down to a mini dealer and test drive them both. then make a decision.

and that's that.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:48 AM
SaltNPepa
4th Gear
My wife and I just got our non s clubman almost a month ago. She has a little over 2k miles on her. I am trying to decide if my MINI will be a s or non s cooper. With the options I want it’s about a 2000 difference between the two. I think the s will cost a lot more in the long run. It will have to get runflats while the non s can be replaced with normal tires , the insurance will be more, while we can get away with less that 91 on the non s I have heard the s needs 91+ and I would guess with the more powerful engine the repair and upkeep cost will be more. We went driving in the mountains with 3 other s coopers and were able to keep up for the most part. We had to work the 6 speed more and keeps the revs up but only on the up hills did we really feel the lack of power. Now that was about 100 miles or so out of the 2000 we have had her. I would assume the percentage where the s would make a difference will stay the same. Sure passing on a two lane is a lot easier and a run through the gears a lot quicker but we have enough problems with speed limits getting in the way with the non s. I don’t think there will be a time where you will NEED and S but there will be times when it would be nice. Only you can decide if those times happen enough to justify the cost. At this point I am still not sure which way to go. If money was no object it would be and S for sure.

Old 11-27-2008, 12:05 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Money wasn't really part of the equation for me. Simply stated, when I put my right foot down I expect something to happen. The Cooper matched my expectation perfectly, the MCS offered something else. So I got a Cooper. Liked it so much I got a second.

Hey, it could be worse....if we got the One we'd have three cars to compare!!!!!!

Old 11-27-2008, 12:34 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SaltNPepa
My wife and I just got our non s clubman almost a month ago. She has a little over 2k miles on her. I am trying to decide if my MINI will be a s or non s cooper. With the options I want it’s about a 2000 difference between the two. I think the s will cost a lot more in the long run. It will have to get runflats while the non s can be replaced with normal tires ,
I run non-runflats on my 2007 MCS. I carry a slime/compressor and puncture kit in case of flats on the road. In most cases, slow leaks will have show up at home, or a little air will get you to a garage. Fast punctures can be dealt with by the compressor. Catastrophic tire failure would require a flatbed truck whether you have runflats, or not.

the insurance will be more,
Check with your insurance company. Mine was quite reasonable.

while we can get away with less that 91 on the non s I have heard the s needs 91+ and I would guess with the more powerful engine the repair and upkeep cost will be more.
They both want 91. The MC actually has a higher compression ratio than the MCS. So, they both like the expensive stuff. However, you are only talking a few $ per fill up. MPG between the two cars will differ by 4-6 mpg.

We went driving in the mountains with 3 other s coopers and were able to keep up for the most part. We had to work the 6 speed more and keeps the revs up but only on the up hills did we really feel the lack of power. Now that was about 100 miles or so out of the 2000 we have had her. I would assume the percentage where the s would make a difference will stay the same. Sure passing on a two lane is a lot easier and a run through the gears a lot quicker but we have enough problems with speed limits getting in the way with the non s.
Nothing wrong with an MC, plenty of fun. You don't need the power of an S, it is just fun to have.

Old 11-27-2008, 01:27 PM
remphoto
3rd Gear
I chose the MC over MCS and am glad I did because:
*40-44mpg on highway
*Smoother yet nimble handling/ride
*NO RUNFLATS
*Can keep up with the S's as proved at a Midohio motoring club ride to Amish Country led by Crashton. The MC's limits are higher than my wife's fear factor.

Old 11-27-2008, 02:26 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by remphoto
The MC's limits are higher than my wife's fear factor.
Oooooo....that's a good one!!!!!!

Old 11-27-2008, 05:21 PM
Browser_23
4th Gear
Now that I have had my MCSa for a little over a month and coming up on 1000 miles. I have 2 feelings. For gas mileage wish I had gotten the non-S. I did get high 30's on my road trip though but city is a little lower than I would like. I could turn off the auto AC and get better but then what is the point in having gotten it. Now that is the only reason for non-S in my opinion. For everything else I am extremely happy with the S. The car is just so much fun and wants to go fast and zip around corners.

Old 11-27-2008, 06:43 PM
SaltNPepa
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Browser_23
Now that I have had my MCSa for a little over a month and coming up on 1000 miles.
Not really a s non s issue but how are those white wheels to clean? I am looking at them either way. Our clubman has the standard 15s but they pick up a lot of dust.

Old 11-27-2008, 06:53 PM
SaltNPepa
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
I run non-runflats on my 2007 MCS. I carry a slime/compressor and puncture kit in case of flats on the road. In most cases, slow leaks will have show up at home, or a little air will get you to a garage. Fast punctures can be dealt with by the compressor. Catastrophic tire failure would require a flatbed truck whether you have runflats, or not.
If I had a catastrophic tire failure with a non s why not just put the spare on and drive home Or is the spare just a clubman thing? Was there a ride difference between the run flats and the tires you replaced them with?

Old 11-27-2008, 08:55 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
just'aCooper Coupes come with a spare, but it is located where the MCs Coupes have their exhaust.

Would think that a ClubmanS could have a spare, given its non-centered exhaust.

Love my MCa (non-S), but test drive both and if you even 'think' you would need (or Want) that extra Power, go for it.

Turbocharge provides the best solution for combining High Performance with potential for excellent gas mileage (MPG's will be in your foot).

Old 11-28-2008, 03:39 AM
mikegs
1st Gear
If you look under a 09 Clubman S (at least ours) the exhaust is centered until about 10 inches from the rear bumper. At that point the exhaust split apart to the sides. No room for a spare.

Old 11-28-2008, 01:12 PM
Browser_23
4th Gear
Originally Posted by SaltNPepa
Not really a s non s issue but how are those white wheels to clean? I am looking at them either way. Our clubman has the standard 15s but they pick up a lot of dust.
Yes, they show a lot of brake dust but clean up pretty easily. Not really any tight spots that are hard to clean on the Bridge Spoke.

Old 11-28-2008, 02:05 PM
Raikkonen
1st Gear
S or Non S

After driving both I choose the Non S. I did love the power of the S and several standard features of the S that I added to the Non S. But for every day driving the Non S suited me better. Things I like about the S - Sport Seats, Fog Lights 16" wheels. Things I like about the Non S Gas mileage, Spare tire (with Run Flats) less complicated up the road and hopefully more reliable. Things I added to the Non S - Sport Package, Arm rest, radio controls on the wheel, and premium package. I should have added the Hi-Fi Radio, rear fog lights and clear marker lights. Good Luck!

Old 11-28-2008, 02:33 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Be aware that the 05-06 S does not get the great mileage that the 2007+ S gets. IIRC, it gets around 18 mpg. If you want to get that vintage MINI, I'd go for the non-S.
Wha???

Old 11-28-2008, 03:20 PM
BMBULBE
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
My suggestion: drive both. However, my salesman once commented that most non-S owners who buy another Mini, buy a S. As for me, I got the S, and would not consider anything else. Torque and quickness are fun.

Old 11-28-2008, 03:24 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
I have owned 4 MINIs:

2002 R50 Cooper CVT

2 R53 6-speed MCS hardtops (2004 & 2005)

1 R55 Clubman S auto (2008)

See the pattern?

I loved the JustACooper, had it for 6 years, never gave any trouble.

Old 11-28-2008, 04:11 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Be aware that the 05-06 S does not get the great mileage that the 2007+ S gets. IIRC, it gets around 18 mpg.
You must have an even heavier lead foot than I do. I've only ever managed to get down to 18.5 in an 05 S (Quentin). I averaged 22.5, and I thought that was bad. It takes a lot of fun to get down to the 18 mpg range.

Old 11-29-2008, 01:19 AM
Sketch
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mikegs
If you look under a 09 Clubman S (at least ours) the exhaust is centered until about 10 inches from the rear bumper. At that point the exhaust split apart to the sides. No room for a spare.
You could put a REEEAAAALLLYYYY tiny wheel!!

Just a thought... could be cool...

Old 11-29-2008, 05:29 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear

Check with your insurance company. Mine was quite reasonable.

They both want 91. The MC actually has a higher compression ratio than the MCS. So, they both like the expensive stuff. However, you are only talking a few $ per fill up. MPG between the two cars will differ by 4-6 mpg.

Nothing wrong with an MC, plenty of fun. You don't need the power of an S, it is just fun to have.
All very true....we use the Slime/Compressor and carry a puncture kit in our Vette because I didn't like the runflats..will do the same with the Mini.

As for power, I have seen some pretty funny reasons why you need or don't need more HP. You could also drive a SMART car with 80HP anywhere in the USA, up any hill, etc...dosen't mean it would be fun. Sorry but for me I like to have the power for fun and when I need it.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:48 AM
remphoto
3rd Gear
My concern for the runflats isn't so much getting caught with a blowout (that's what Roadside Assistance is for). Instead, I hate the ride quality of the runflats and replacement costs are astronomical. Also, a nail puncture can necessitate a new tire. They suck and so does MINI and BMW for foisting these POS on us when Audi, et.al. have not gone this route. Now ask me how I really feel!

Old 11-30-2008, 09:21 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Originally Posted by remphoto
My concern for the runflats isn't so much getting caught with a blowout (that's what Roadside Assistance is for). Instead, I hate the ride quality of the runflats and replacement costs are astronomical. Also, a nail puncture can necessitate a new tire. They suck and so does MINI and BMW for foisting these POS on us when Audi, et.al. have not gone this route. Now ask me how I really feel!
Runcraps suck...period...there is nothing anyone can say that can talk me out of putting a decent set of tires on...propably not going to wait to run the rubber I have now. I have been thru this with the Vette and changed them out at 2K and never looked back.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:56 AM
VASCoop
2nd Gear
Let me see if this analogy works - comparing the MINI model designations with a common American car, the Ford Mustang. But first you need to keep in mind that base "MINI" (non-Cooper MINI One) is not imported into the US. Thus, globally, the upgrade model comparisions are -

MINI One = base Mustang 6 cyl
Cooper = Mustang GT 8 cyl
Cooper S = SVT Cobra Mustang
John Cooper Works = Shelby/Roush/Saleen Mustang

If you think of it this way the "Justacooper" is already a performance upgrade model and should not be looked down upon as a base model. (Obviously this just a model nomenclature comparision and not a head-to-head comparison of the cars themselves.) So I don't think anyone with a Cooper needs to make any excuses. I know, easy for me to say since I own an S (but I wish I had a JCW!).

Sorry if this comparision has been made before.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:12 PM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Originally Posted by VASCoop
Let me see if this analogy works - comparing the MINI model designations with a common American car, the Ford Mustang. But first you need to keep in mind that base "MINI" (non-Cooper MINI One) is not imported into the US. Thus, globally, the upgrade model comparisions are -

MINI One = base Mustang 6 cyl
Cooper = Mustang GT 8 cyl
Cooper S = SVT Cobra Mustang
John Cooper Works = Shelby/Roush/Saleen Mustang

If you think of it this way the "Justacooper" is already a performance upgrade model and should not be looked down upon as a base model. (Obviously this just a model nomenclature comparision and not a head-to-head comparison of the cars themselves.) So I don't think anyone with a Cooper needs to make any excuses. I know, easy for me to say since I own an S (but I wish I had a JCW!).

Sorry if this comparision has been made before.
Like the comparo.....I raced a new Ford Mustang GT with my JCW, short burst 1,000 feet. First run he got me by a nose, second run he jumped and the third I jumped. I have to tell the truth he had crappy tires on the back or he probably would have done some more damage..but it was satisfying to be able to give him a honest run for his money. His GT was stock except for the suspension and my JCW has an intake and boost tubes and coilovers.

Now from a rolling start.....that would be interesting...I have a Twin Turbo C6 Corvette and know power but I have to honestly say I love driving my Mini as much as the Vette..

Old 11-30-2008, 06:33 PM
SoldierNurse
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Wizeguy9999
I think if we rephrase the question it will make the decision easier.

Should you get an MC or a JCW?

Well you don't need all the power of a JCW, but you might find the MC a bit lacking.

I GOT IT!!!

Get an S as it's the perfect compromise betweeen the two!!
Just bought an MCS and will soon have the JCW Kit installed.

Hows that for compromise?

BTW, yes... I have the LSD

Old 11-30-2008, 06:36 PM
SoldierNurse
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Red Bull
...I have a Twin Turbo C6 Corvette and know power but I have to honestly say I love driving my Mini as much as the Vette..
I recently sold my 2001 Corvette [480bhp] that was heavily modded. Cool to read your comparison, which I feel the same way.