R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Recall service campaign as of yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008 | 08:22 AM
MHPHOCKEY
|
Neutral
Recall service campaign as of yesterday

Something regarding the tail pipe extension. The service advisor did not say it was urgent.

I was in yesterday to get a new badge sine my "S" broke!

I have an appointment for next week to have it done.

I have a 2008 MCS.

Old 10-01-2008 | 03:03 PM
corcoranwtnet
4th Gear
Tail Pipes on 2009 MCS

I picked up my 2009 MCS yesterday. The tail pipes appear to be shorter than those I've seen on 07/08 models locally. They also appear shorter than those in the photos posted on this website. You can't see them when looking straight down or even back slightly from the car. They still look great, though!

Old 10-01-2008 | 03:07 PM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by corcoranwtnet
I picked up my 2009 MCS yesterday. The tail pipes appear to be shorter than those I've seen on 07/08 models locally. They also appear shorter than those in the photos posted on this website. You can't see them when looking straight down or even back slightly from the car. They still look great, though!
They are shorter. This is because of this:

http://www.just-auto.com/article.aspx?id=95950&lk=dm

Some people were too stupid to realize that exhaust pipes get HOT while you're driving and would actually LEAN on them when getting things out of the boots of their MCSs.

Personally, I think natural selection should be allowed to take its course.

Old 10-01-2008 | 04:26 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
At least in my case, I was not too stupid to realize the exhaust pipes get HOT while I'm driving. I also was not leaning on them to get something out of the boot. But I got burned nevertheless.

Didn't bother me and I didn't complain to anyone. But I started looking and I really can't say I've noticed any other vehicles on the road with exhaust tips that extend beyond the bumper. At least not in a stock configuration. I'd guess that is why MINI went ahead and took this move even though the number of complaints seems very small. It does seem like a bit of poor design in terms of safety.

Old 10-01-2008 | 08:04 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
I was at MINI of Mountain View today for an annual oil change and application of PermaPlate (for windshield insurance). The SA mentioned the "tailpipe extension" recall. He hadn't seen the bulletin and they didn't have the parts yet. So they couldn't install it in my 2007 MCS.

Old 10-01-2008 | 08:53 PM
rschnikee
1st Gear
JCW Tips

I love my JCW Exhaust Tips (same issue) and I will yell, scream, cry like a little ***** if anybody replaces/shortens the tips.

I've been burned probably 10-15 times and don't care! These tips look awesome!

Old 10-01-2008 | 10:29 PM
ghosthound
6th Gear
wow, dumb people ruin it for everyone. Either realize the exhaust tips will be hot and avoid burning yourself or burn yourself and realize it was your own fault.

Im glad i have an aftermarket exhaust anyway.

Old 10-01-2008 | 10:39 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
I am gettting ttired of warning my kids when they get behind my hot car. I should drop an email to my service rep.

Old 10-01-2008 | 10:57 PM
Ken G.
4th Gear
Yep, this went active literally overnight. I dropped my MCS off Tuesday at the dealer's to get the scoop fixed and the fuel sender unit replaced. When my SA printed my service sheet on Monday night, the campaign was pending. When it was re-printed Tuesday morning, it was active. I'm hoping my SA was wrong and they have the parts already, I don't feel like driving back up for another service just to be sure I don't singe my trousers.

Old 10-01-2008 | 11:10 PM
Lyme
2nd Gear
Ken G. You could just wear shorts and eliminate the problem of damaging your trousers.

Old 10-02-2008 | 12:37 AM
r56mini
6th Gear
I will never get burnt on the exhaust pipes!! Never!

Old 10-02-2008 | 06:40 AM
KyleJ
2nd Gear
My car got tagged for this when it was in for warranty work yesterday, but they apparently are still waiting on the parts and will mail cards out for the recall when they are ready.

Old 10-02-2008 | 06:54 AM
Bishamon
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rschnikee
I love my JCW Exhaust Tips (same issue) and I will yell, scream, cry like a little ***** if anybody replaces/shortens the tips.
Same here! I hope I never get the call, or perhaps the JCW kit will confuse the computer.

I have never been burned by them. Honestly, they don't stick out that far... I think I would have to go out of my way to burn myself.

Old 10-02-2008 | 07:00 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RandomGemini
They are shorter. This is because of this:

http://www.just-auto.com/article.aspx?id=95950&lk=dm

Some people were too stupid to realize that exhaust pipes get HOT while you're driving and would actually LEAN on them when getting things out of the boots of their MCSs.

Personally, I think natural selection should be allowed to take its course.

HAAAAYyyyy, I resemble that remark!!!! I KNOW they're there, but sometimes when maneuvering around in the hatch area (w/seats down) I don't realize how close I am...That HURTS, by the way!! And don't forget - I DO let SOME people ride with me (SOMETIMES)...they don't know about the tailpipes / dont' realize where they are on the car and they've gotten branded, too.

Old 10-02-2008 | 07:07 AM
rschnikee
1st Gear
I have never been burned by them. Honestly, they don't stick out that far... I think I would have to go out of my way to burn myself.

Well, I wear shorts as much as possible and I have used my mini to haul quite a lot of stuff. It's during the unpacking times that it happens. No big deal, just a quick little "Man that's hot" and I'm back to work.

Old 10-02-2008 | 07:42 AM
aafflyer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by rschnikee

I don't think any recall is mandatory...

Old 10-02-2008 | 08:00 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
But I started looking and I really can't say I've noticed any other vehicles on the road with exhaust tips that extend beyond the bumper.
My Cayman S also has a center mounted exhaust tip that extends beyond the bumper.

Old 10-02-2008 | 08:13 AM
ori
1st Gear
For more information

If you're interested in reading more about the investigation, go to this website:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...fectsearch.cfm
and enter EA08020 as the action number.

BMW is trying to avoid a recall by activating a service action.
Nothing is mandatory. I'm told that if you're interested in it, dealers will replace the end piece of the exhaust with a shorter part so that it doesn't extend beyond the bumper. Free of charge. It should take 20 minutes.

ori

Old 10-02-2008 | 08:13 AM
Bigshot
6th Gear
Better watch out......they'll do a recall on that! LOL

Old 10-02-2008 | 09:13 AM
Ken G.
4th Gear
Just finished reading the DOT documentation; someone there needs to check their document blinder, I found at least once instance where they failed to blind the complaining customer's name.

Well, I can only hope it doesn't turn into a general recall. The tips don't stick out all that much and I've found them not to be a problem. One the other hand, if it gets me a new set of chrome tips for free, that's not such a bad thing. I guess it's all in how you look at it.

BTW: BMWBoy, I love your tagline!

Last edited by Ken G.; 10-02-2008 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-02-2008 | 09:35 AM
djam43
6th Gear
Surely this will be voluntery on the owners part. You paid for that tailpipe with hard earned cash and its yours. But you might have to sign a waiver.

Old 10-02-2008 | 10:31 AM
bluemeanie357
4th Gear
I was gonna say, my '09's tailpipe is pretty flush with the bumper. I guess they changed it due to complaints. At least they are responding to complaints. Maybe they solved the melting hood scoop too?

Old 10-02-2008 | 11:21 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Originally Posted by djam43
Surely this will be voluntery on the owners part. You paid for that tailpipe with hard earned cash and its yours. But you might have to sign a waiver.
No car company can force you to have a recall done on your car. If it's an obvious mechanical deficiency then you'd be dumb not to, but on something aesthetic/cosmetic it's really up to the consumer. Back in 1999, model year 2000 Audi TT's had a recall to add a rear spoiler and change out the front control arms. Seems a handful of Euro drivers had wadded up their TT's at highspeed due to a relatively light aerodynamic downforce, and the original control arms made for a very neutral handling car. The "fix" was to add the spoiler which to many (including myself) ruined the pure lines of the car, and to induce understeer with the new control arms to save people from themselves. I never did the recall on my car (although any future owner could have had it done still) and un-neutered cars became somewhat of a novelty. The original control arms became very valuable as you couldn't buy them anymore, and the dealers would send them back to Audi after they were changed out.

Old 10-02-2008 | 11:32 AM
r56mini
6th Gear
audi must have lost millions of dollars on that recall.

Old 10-02-2008 | 12:01 PM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Lets hope not to many people slam the door on their hands....they may weld the doors shut....whats next????????

Quick Reply: R56 Recall service campaign as of yesterday