R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 2009 MCS toolkit delete?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 02:58 PM
maximus96
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniCS
Hey Guys,

Great to see a healthy debate of whether jacks are necessary for RFTs. The fact remains that when I open the boot, and found the cutout foam block empty makes me feel that something is not quite right. Tho, I understand if BMW makes arguement that RFT does not need jack.

Anyway, I contacted my MA and he mentioned that a bulletin was issued on Friday regarding Sept. built Mini's missing the tools due to build error. I think the key word here is "build error" b/c it sounds as if they intended to include it but made an error. He said that tools will be provided on a case by case basis. So, I will certainly be right in line to ask for one... as it will be insurance for when I switch to Non-RFT winter tires.

Thanks for this info. i emailed my MA about this built-error bulletin because i didn't get the jack neither.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:11 PM
Browser_23
4th Gear
Originally Posted by RaceTripper
If using just the flimsy jack -- that comes (or not) with the car -- to lift it, you are nuts to put anything more than your arm under the car. I would never stick anything more than my arm under a car that isn't at least on stable jack stands.
True but how are you going to get it on the jack stands without a jack?

Old 10-13-2008, 03:37 PM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Browser_23
True but how are you going to get it on the jack stands without a jack?
Jack it up, insert the jack stand, lower the jack. That's what I do.

I was taking about putting yourself under the car. With just the jack, I wouldn't put any part of me that could get crushed when the jack fails (and they do often enough...just ask my wife who works in a trauma unit).

Old 10-13-2008, 03:59 PM
DrewN
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RaceTripper
Jack it up, insert the jack stand, lower the jack. That's what I do.

I was taking about putting yourself under the car. With just the jack, I wouldn't put any part of me that could get crushed when the jack fails (and they do often enough...just ask my wife who works in a trauma unit).

Ah, so you still need the jack!

Anyway I agree, I wouldn't normally have done it and absolutely would not recommend others to use a jack to get under the car. It did work for me on an emergency basis, and I was as smart as I could be about it (was on a level surface, made absolutely sure I was jacked properly, didn't spend more than 10 seconds messing around underneath there, etc.).

But absolutely accidents can and will happen. Be safe and smart out there!

Old 10-13-2008, 04:09 PM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DrewN
Ah, so you still need the jack!
I never said not to use a jack. I have one too.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:36 PM
Oakland Raiders Mini
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Never mind guys I just went & checked.

Last edited by Oakland Raiders Mini; 10-13-2008 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:39 PM
Minnesota Mini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniCS
Hey Guys,

Great to see a healthy debate of whether jacks are necessary for RFTs. The fact remains that when I open the boot, and found the cutout foam block empty makes me feel that something is not quite right. Tho, I understand if BMW makes arguement that RFT does not need jack.

Anyway, I contacted my MA and he mentioned that a bulletin was issued on Friday regarding Sept. built Mini's missing the tools due to build error. I think the key word here is "build error" b/c it sounds as if they intended to include it but made an error. He said that tools will be provided on a case by case basis. So, I will certainly be right in line to ask for one... as it will be insurance for when I switch to Non-RFT winter tires.
Hey MiniCS,

Nice color choice on your Mini! You didn't happen to catch the bulletin number? I'm thinking it would help me with my MA.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:54 PM
texasmontego
4th Gear
Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts
I've never trusted the factory jacks. Anytime my vehicles have been in the air for maintenance or repair I only trust the 3 ton floor jack and some jack stands.
I've always told my girlfriend that if she gets a flat that I will buy her a new rim, just do not stop on the side of the freeway (Houston). A new rim is replaceable, people are not.

You would have thought that Mini would have taken out any indication of a jack if the car wasn't suppose to have one. No one likes to think they are missing something, especially on a new car.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:39 PM
Dinlaka
2nd Gear
Am I missing anything?

Can anybody who has a complete set of the tool kit verify if I am missing anything? I guess I am one of the lucky guy to have a jack but not so sure if some items are missing. Thanks in advance!

Old 10-16-2008, 10:51 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
That looks like the MCS toolkit from our 08.

Its missing a few things the 07 MC toolkit has:

Last edited by Btwyx; 11-12-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:39 PM
Dinlaka
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Btwyx
That looks like the MCS toolkit from our 08.

Its missing a few things the 07 MC toolkit has:

Thanks for the pix, Btwyx. Now I know exactly what is missing.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:21 PM
MiniCS
2nd Gear
I'm going to pick up the tools tomorrow. Will let you guys know what I get.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:59 PM
levear
Neutral
Jack w/ Tool Kit

I tooks delivery of my 2009 MCS 2 weeks ago. Becuase I had heard about this issue on NAM I called and asked my MA to include a tool kit and jack with my mini. When I picked up my mini sure enough jack and tool kit was included.

I asked MA what the deal was with the missing tool kit and jack he indicated unless the customer asked for these items they were not included.

So I guess it doesn't hurt to ask....

Old 10-30-2008, 03:58 PM
MiniCS
2nd Gear
Picked up my tools.

On a side note, my MA was impressed with my clear shield (installed by detailing dynamics, Mineola NY) asked all other MA's come out and check out my Mini

The tools were only the Jack and Tire Wrench. Here is what they look like.

Attached Thumbnails 2009 MCS toolkit delete?-img_1895.jpg   2009 MCS toolkit delete?-img_1893.jpg  
Old 11-02-2008, 01:19 PM
ives
1st Gear
Hi all,
I just picked up my 2008 MCS and i was missing the chock and wrench to undo the spare....
I also received one bolt, but asked for another bolt...my friend who has a 2007 MC received 4 bolts apparently. I have complained to my sales rep and hopefully he can discuss this with his manager. I find it ridiculous that items are missing from the tool kit which should be more of a safety issue than "options" that they make us pay for.

A question for any Canadian 2008 MC or MCS owners - did you receive the chock and tire wrench and how many bolts??

Old 11-05-2008, 05:12 PM
n3mpr
2nd Gear
I took delivery on 17 Oct, another Sept build. Here is part of what my MA said:

"MINI sent us a bulletin last week on this, stating that somehow they
were left out on a large number of cars, but that we just need to
contact them and they will send out a replacement kit."

He said it would take about two weeks. Only time will tell.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:44 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bluemeanie357
I'll ask for him by name and ask what I do when my 50 miles runs out in the middle of nowhere.
same thing you'd do if you had a jack and no spare tire. Ride it out on your runflats or be stuck.

I did my own toolbox delete kit within weeks of getting my MINI.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:34 PM
swflaboy
4th Gear
Guess there's no consensus on whether you get one or not??

My MCS with a build date of 10/6 had no jack, etc. I did ask my MA about it. He went to talk to someone and came back to say '09's = no jack. I am only concerned about it as I may decide to switch to non-runflats once the OEM tires wear out.

So do you think there really is a "bulletin" about the mistake took kit delete or were those MA's just trying to make their customers happy?

Old 11-11-2008, 09:36 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
my W39 build hardtop did not have the jack and LW, but my MA assured me he would get these items to complete the tool kit. but then he knows I run conventional performance tires 9 mos out of the year.

Last edited by sequence; 11-11-2008 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:50 AM
Browser_23
4th Gear
There seems to be no consensus and ask MINI is not replying to emails about it. My MA said run flats = no tools for 09 models. But seems a lot on this forum are getting them and some say there is a bulletin. Very frustrating. I would just like a definitive answer from MINI. I have seen some people on this forum say they work for MINI or MINI USA and I ask them but have gotten no response from them either. They may not know though.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:57 AM
Minnesota Mini
2nd Gear
My car was week 36/37 and was missing the jack and bar. I e-mailed my MA and she said no problem and had the kit components mailed to my house.

My e-mail was something along the lines of:

[SIZE=2]Thanks again for all your assistance in my purchase of our new Mini. I was poking around my car and came across the car jack tool kit. It came incomplete, as I'm missing about 75% of the tools (Jack, bar...etc). I'm
hoping you can rectify this oversite. I travel outside metro areas and there may be a time when I will need these tools.

I'm guessing that the Dealer is picking up the cost and not MINI.

It's nice to have as at some point I plan to switch to non-run flats. I'll find a spare that I'll throw in boot when I'm driving out of town (JIC).
[/SIZE]

Old 11-11-2008, 10:14 AM
wandrur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was lacking jack and wrench in my '09, but per sequence's suggestions, I'm emailing my MA requesting that a jack and wrench be provided.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:01 AM
Browser_23
4th Gear
I talked to my MA and was told no tools for 09 with run flats. maybe I'll email the SA and see where I get.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:45 AM
maximus96
3rd Gear
almost assembled the complete kit. the dealer shipped me some of the missing parts. i think i'm still missing one item, the wheel carrier or something. i might email my SA about it but i'm not sure if i really need it.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:35 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by maximus96
almost assembled the complete kit. the dealer shipped me some of the missing parts. i think i'm still missing one item, the wheel carrier or something. i might email my SA about it but i'm not sure if i really need it.

you don't need it. it is used for lowering the spare tire down from under a cooper.

Quick Reply: R56 2009 MCS toolkit delete?