R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 2009 MCS toolkit delete?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 09:35 PM
MiniCS
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 MCS toolkit delete?

First weekend with my new Mini S. Opening every compartment and had a surprise when I got to the boot. When I pull up the boot floor expecting a full tool kit, it was missing the jack. The foam block had cutouts for everything, but the only items in it were tow hook, screw driver, and the shifter (auto) pin.

Later in the day, I had to stop by my dealer for something and was told that he delivered several 2009 Mini S and they were all missing the jack. Another MA walked by and confirmed that was the case for 2009 MCS that he had delivered too. The consensus is that for 2009 BMW must be cutting back and since MCS have run-flats anyway, they no longer included a jack...

I didn't think it was a big deal... but can you guys with new 2009 MCS please check your tool kit and see if this is indeed the case?

Thanks.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:41 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting, I thought there was some mandate that you had to have a Jack. I was surprised when our 05 MCS came with a jack, it was very lonely and tied down in the boot. (I only later realised there was also vestigial toolkit in the battery compartment.)

The 08 MCS had the foam insert and a few bits missing compared to the MC, but they still had the jack and wrench in it.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:45 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear

Wonder if the '09 MC's are now missing the Spare Tire as well?? I was pleasantly surprised to find one under Molly, my MA had told us that with the Performance Run Flat Tires a Space Saver Spare was not included...BOY WAS HE WRONG!!

Old 10-05-2008, 08:16 AM
MiniCS
2nd Gear
MCS don't come with the spare tire. The exhaust is in the middle where the spare is for the non S.

Anyone with 2009 MCS please confirm.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:42 AM
KCinBR
3rd Gear
I took delivery of my 08 MCS the last day of August, and is does have a jack. Its a phreaking shame that after paying 25K+ for a car that a jack is not included.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:00 AM
Ian Venieri
3rd Gear
Thanks for the warning. I will take the jack out of my 2008 before I pick up my 2009.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:18 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Not a MCS, but my '09 JCW (8/8/08 production) came with a jack.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:48 AM
MiniCS
2nd Gear
Thx Tripper,

Interesting that JCW had it but not MCS... Guess BMW made the call to cut back for the 2009 MCS only. Wonder if the Sept. prod JCW had the jacks removed too.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:18 AM
MiniC
2nd Gear
Early production (07, week 6) S's did not come with a jack. I spoke with MINI USA several times and the best answer I received was "your parts department will be happy to sell you one". MINI's stand was that they had the option to equip the car as they felt was appropriate. Apparently MINI is trying this again. Several owners at the time complained to their individual dealerships and received jacks from them.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:47 AM
zarote
2nd Gear
My '09 MCS is the same way. No jack, just a cheesy screwdriver, a tool to remove the center cap, and the eye that screws into the bumpers.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:18 AM
bluemeanie357
4th Gear
I bet they sell the jack for BMW prices, though. I saw a mobility kit at the dealer, but was afraid to look at the price tag. I'm gonna make my own. I'll probably end up buying the jack if I can't wangle a freebie, since it will fit the spot intended.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:49 AM
awyrn
1st Gear
When I picked up my MCS the MA went to show me where the jack was and it wasn't there much like everyone else's experience it has a screwdriver and thats it! MA went looking for one before I drove the car off the lot but couldn't find one so I signed a paper saying that they owe me one and I should get it next week

Old 10-09-2008, 11:02 AM
Gromit801
6th Gear
I'm thinking the dealer is reselling the jacks, or someone along the line is stealing them.

Having runflats have nowt to do with it. You aren't supposed to drive more than 50 miles on runflats before they're considered toast. I have been many places where I was farther than 50 miles from a place that could repair tires. Most gas stations no longer do that.

So I have a Slime/Compressor kit, and a plug kit. To do it right, you really should have the wheel off the car, so the tire isn't stressed. How are you going to do that without a jack?

Old 10-09-2008, 11:09 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Gromit801
I'm thinking the dealer is reselling the jacks, or someone along the line is stealing them.
I think that's being overly paranoid and not probable. I think it's really more likely that MINI NA is trying to lower costs.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:20 AM
texasmontego
4th Gear
Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts
I actually don't see the point in adding a jack if you have run-flats or no spare. How many of us actually repair our own flats?
I can't see them giving a discount for "Jack Delete" either, but a $50 discount would be nice off the sticker.

I agree with making your own emergency kit.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:42 PM
bluemeanie357
4th Gear
My dealer SA says the "MCS doesn't come with a jack" and was unresponsive when I said I know people with '08s that got them. I'm going to pick up an order this Saturday and I'll ask for him by name and ask what I do when my 50 miles runs out in the middle of nowhere.

But on the other hand.... where can I get the Mini jack that fits the kit?

Old 10-09-2008, 01:45 PM
catguy
2nd Gear
my new clubman s was without a jack and the tow hook.....

Old 10-09-2008, 02:01 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Originally Posted by texasmontego
I actually don't see the point in adding a jack if you have run-flats or no spare. How many of us actually repair our own flats?
I can't see them giving a discount for "Jack Delete" either, but a $50 discount would be nice off the sticker.

I agree with making your own emergency kit.
If you are out on some desert highways like I have been, maybe 100 miles from anywhere that can fix a tire, iffy cell coverage, and a very long wait for a tow truck... you'll fix your flat if you have the tools to do so.

A jack is basic equipment. Not including one is a safety issue as far as I'm concerned.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:58 PM
imbz
1st Gear
My 09 MCS, Has no tool kit too. Dealer say it not include in MCS 09 that got runflat tire.

I wonder, Can I order from mini for peace of mind. Because I will get rid of runflat.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:18 PM
texasmontego
4th Gear
Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts
If you are out on some desert highways like I have been, maybe 100 miles from anywhere that can fix a tire, iffy cell coverage, and a very long wait for a tow truck... you'll fix your flat if you have the tools to do so.

A jack is basic equipment. Not including one is a safety issue as far as I'm concerned.
So you are telling me you carry the tools to repair a flat other than using the Fix-o-flat? How do you plan on getting the tire off the rim?
My question was about the need to have one when you have Run-flats. It's pointless. Even if you had a jack, you don't have a spare.
You can drive way more than 100 miles without air pressure on Run-flats. Motortrend drove a car with Run-flats a couple of thousand miles a few years ago, to show the reliability.

Here's a nice article on Run-flats. http://www.motortrend.com/womt/112_9...cts/index.html

If you have a spare, I can see why you would need one. If you don't have a spare and aren't running Run-flats, you are asking for it.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:24 AM
Gromit801
6th Gear
So you are telling me you carry the tools to repair a flat other than using the Fix-o-flat? How do you plan on getting the tire off the rim?
My question was about the need to have one when you have Run-flats. It's pointless. Even if you had a jack, you don't have a spare.
You can drive way more than 100 miles without air pressure on Run-flats. Motortrend drove a car with Run-flats a couple of thousand miles a few years ago, to show the reliability.

Here's a nice article on Run-flats. http://www.motortrend.com/womt/112_9...cts/index.html

If you have a spare, I can see why you would need one. If you don't have a spare and aren't running Run-flats, you are asking for it.
I carry a plug kit and the Slime/Compressor. The tire does not have to come off the rim for that.

RFs don't wear or handle as well. The ride is very harsh with them.

I don't care what Motor Trend says. Running RFs is meant to get you to the next tire shop. They are not as safe as fully functional tires.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:28 PM
DrewN
6th Gear
My question was about the need to have one when you have Run-flats. It's pointless.
There are other reasons for needing a jack. For example, the plastic skid pad underneath my car came loose whilst on the highway. Without a jack I would never have been able to temporarily secure it before I got to my tools. There is absolutely no ground clearance, you need a jack to stick more than an arm underneath there.

Just the basic fact that dealers/MINI would try to penny pinch by removing something so basic and essential to every car is questionable, imo.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:07 PM
Browser_23
4th Gear

Having runflats have nowt to do with it. You aren't supposed to drive more than 50 miles on runflats before they're considered toast. I have been many places where I was farther than 50 miles from a place that could repair tires. Most gas stations no longer do that.

So I have a Slime/Compressor kit, and a plug kit. To do it right, you really should have the wheel off the car, so the tire isn't stressed. How are you going to do that without a jack?
My owners manual states for run flats if only a driver is in the car with no luggage you can drive up to 120 miles at no more than 50 miles per hour. Gives a couple more examples but basically the more weight in the car the shorter distance you should drive.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:29 PM
MiniCS
2nd Gear
Hey Guys,

Great to see a healthy debate of whether jacks are necessary for RFTs. The fact remains that when I open the boot, and found the cutout foam block empty makes me feel that something is not quite right. Tho, I understand if BMW makes arguement that RFT does not need jack.

Anyway, I contacted my MA and he mentioned that a bulletin was issued on Friday regarding Sept. built Mini's missing the tools due to build error. I think the key word here is "build error" b/c it sounds as if they intended to include it but made an error. He said that tools will be provided on a case by case basis. So, I will certainly be right in line to ask for one... as it will be insurance for when I switch to Non-RFT winter tires.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:54 PM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DrewN
There are other reasons for needing a jack. For example, the plastic skid pad underneath my car came loose whilst on the highway. Without a jack I would never have been able to temporarily secure it before I got to my tools. There is absolutely no ground clearance, you need a jack to stick more than an arm underneath there.
If using just the flimsy jack -- that comes (or not) with the car -- to lift it, you are nuts to put anything more than your arm under the car. I would never stick anything more than my arm under a car that isn't at least on stable jack stands.

Quick Reply: R56 2009 MCS toolkit delete?