R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 MINI keys stolen, help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 03:24 AM
kbyersobrien
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MINI keys stolen, help!

My bag was stolen and the only set of keys I have for my '07 Mini Cooper S were in there! Luckily I only had cash, clothes and not my wallet.

I called my local dealership in Melbourne, Australia and they said it'll set me back $450 AUD to replace and reprogram a new set of keys!!!

I've found used Mini keys on eBay for around $50, if I bought that would the dealership be able to just reprogram it? Also, what happens to the old keys, I'm so paranoid that someone will steal my car. Once a new key is programmed to by car will the old ones become redundant? Also, the Mini is locked and I can't get into it, will the dealership be able to without breaking anything?

Thanks so much!~

Old 10-06-2008, 05:24 AM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
MINI should have been delivered with two sets of fob/keys.

Maybe the Ebay key will be your key

Old 10-06-2008, 05:44 AM
misslindsey
5th Gear
If you bought it new the dealership is fleecing you for the fob they should have given you when it was new. If you bought it used and only got one then your fear is kind of unfounded because there's already another fob out there. I understand though - I'd want to "change the locks" too. I think that's what costs so much, but a call to the parts department should tell you exactly what they're able to do.
Your auto or renters/homeowners insurance may cover the new key as well - might be worth checking at the least if it's that expensive and you have a low deductible.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:00 AM
wbarnhill
Coordinator :: Upstate MINIs
Agree with misslindsey. The MINIs all come with two key fobs. And if you're missing both, I'd highly recommend just going through the reprogramming of a new key. Better to be out a few hundred bucks than to be out a MINI.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:25 AM
R56MINICooper
4th Gear
Agreed new keys would be recommended better the loss of many the loss of car.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:49 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Once the dealer programs your new key fobs the old one's won't work.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:13 PM
sirr6
4th Gear
really? i didnt know this!!!But why would the old ones stop working??? What if I just wanted a replacement or spare?

Originally Posted by OXYBLUECOOP
Once the dealer programs your new key fobs the old one's won't work.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:29 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
According to my SA once they order new fobs and program them to the MINI the old ones are useless.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Tygo
3rd Gear
I very much doubt that your dealership would reprogram ebay keys for you, why would they promote the sale of stolen keys when they have already got you by the *****? Maybe you should just buy 3 different sets of keys off ebay and hope that one of them was posted by the criminal who took your bag and you get your key back for 150 vs. 450, its a gamble but the thrill of the chase should be worth it.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:33 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
Does reprogramming include the new key cutting of the small mechnical key? How would that work? The door key hole will have to get replaced as well...

Old 10-06-2008, 11:50 PM
kbyersobrien
1st Gear
Originally Posted by r56mini
Does reprogramming include the new key cutting of the small mechnical key? How would that work? The door key hole will have to get replaced as well...
I've been at the dealership and this is what's going to happen.

I'm getting a replacement set which are ordered from Germany and come pre-cut and programmed for my car. If I request it, MINI can de-register the old keys so they won't be able to start the car but they will still be able to open the car. The alternative is to do a full replacement of the locks and keys which will set me back $990.

I think I'm just gonna go with the new keys for now and I can do a lock replacement later on if necessary. Turns out a new key is $500 not $450.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:55 PM
Nics
2nd Gear
When you order a replacement key, BMW/MINI NA has to contact BMW/MINI AG for the info about the key, and BMW/MINI AG is probably the only place that can recreate your key. It's not as easy as them (the dealership) taking a key out of the stock room and hooking it up to a computer on location. Last time I inquired about a new key, I had to be able to show my driver's license, title, and insurance to order, to prove that I owned the car; they also said about 7-10 business days before I would be able to pick it up at the dealership.

That is what I remember though, and this was back when I owned a BMW in 2004.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:17 AM
turbo tel
1st Gear
Originally Posted by kbyersobrien
I've been at the dealership and this is what's going to happen.

I'm getting a replacement set which are ordered from Germany and come pre-cut and programmed for my car. If I request it, MINI can de-register the old keys so they won't be able to start the car but they will still be able to open the car. The alternative is to do a full replacement of the locks and keys which will set me back $990.

I think I'm just gonna go with the new keys for now and I can do a lock replacement later on if necessary. Turns out a new key is $500 not $450.
Just my experience, I lost a key..

I looked into getting a key from a scrap car and the dealer says they cannot reprogram it, They said that the keys are only programmed in the factory and come pre-programmed based on VIN. They (the dealer) do not need to do anything with the car, however if the key was lost/stolen you may want to pay the bit extra to have them deregister the old key.. which will need a reprogram on the car..

Old 11-03-2008, 12:50 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
It all makes sense except the prices. If they can make a key for you at Holiday Inn for basically nothing in one minute they can make one for your Mini for a lot less than $500. A LOT less. People lose keys by accident, not abuse. They should do it for less the first time, rape you the next time maybe.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:10 PM
MrTIer
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RIP OFF!

I agree 100% that this is unnecessary gouging! I wanted an extra key and remote for my Ford truck. I was able to buy the remote and program it my self with instruction in the owners manual. I purchased a blank key (with rfid inside), programmed it myself, again with instructions in the owners manual and had the key cut at a local shop. All works perfectly. The total for all this was under $30.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:32 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nobody will cut a MINI style key for you except a BMW dealership.

Its a special key, not like a standard key used in most cars.

You need a BMW DIS to enter the ECU to do anything with key programming. Unless you have $50,000 and own a BMW dealership, you wont be getting one for yourself.