R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 On the fence?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 08:36 AM
Dinger28
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the fence?

OK I have read endless posts about this and I figured I would try to get some different perspectives.
I have an 05 MCS and I am thinking about selling it and getting a 09 MCS. I love my Mini, but I have about 72k on her and I do a lot of traveling.
My ? is who here has had both? And do you think I should make the switch or just stick with the 05. Supercharger vs. Turbo.
Currently I have 15% Pulley, Intake, exhaust, springs, wheels.
I guess I am just worried about the Turbo and if I am going to want my 05 back... I would also like to do some mods, but nothing crazy. Just to give me a little more pep.
Thanks in advance for everyone's opinions.
Dinger

Old 10-11-2008, 10:27 AM
Apple
6th Gear
go for it , for the MPG alone

Old 10-11-2008, 10:30 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The 2009 MCS will have more pep and better mileage. On the other hand, you may not like the feel of the steering in the 2009. You should test drive one. Be sure to turn the Sport button on.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:55 AM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As you say there are lots of threads about this. We updated from an R53 (with only 18k miles) to an R56, but we might not have bothered if we hadn't already updated from an R50 to an R56 Cooper, which I thought was a big win, but there was nothing too compelling about the R56 Cooper-S.

The control feel between the R50/R53 and the R56 is totally different, this can put some people off from the start. Once you get used to it its alright. The clutch is much lighter and the steering totally different. The R53 steering is too heavy at parking speeds and too light at freeway speeds, the R56 is light at parking speeds and great at freeway speeds. In our case I found switching between the R56 and R53 was just too annoying. Once we got the R56 S I like it, but there's no terribly compelling reason to switch apart from the MPG.

In our case the difference in mileage is currently 20.6 vs 27.6, I never seem to be able to get the best mileage out of any car (particularly a MINI), but if you really try you can get some amazing economy out of the R56 S (but that's too boring to bother about).

Apart from that its a bit of a toss up, I'm pretty oblivious to the styling changes, to me they're both MINIs and are both great. I never was worried about the supercharger whine one way or the other, I do find the R56 has an annoying bass note at times. I though the power delivery from the R53's engine was remarkably flat for a small engine, the R56 is even flatter, but flakes out at the top end. The R56 engine is so flexible it can take some of the fun out of driving, your hardly ever have to change gear. The dynamics also seem a bit more stable, more grippy, the R53 was always a bit slidy. The R56 makes a great touring car, the R53 is more of a racer.

The most annoying thing about an R56 is the sport button. They totally ruined the car unless you turn the button on. I'd be much happier if the sport button never existed, but the MINI was always in "Sport" mode (as opposed to the flaccid mode it defaults to). The only mod I've ever made to our MINIs is the sport button always on mod (on both R56s), its pretty simple.

One thing I really like about the R56 is you can get bluetooth integration (without the armrest) and it works very well. The USB iPod adapter works adequately, but is more flaky the the R53's iPod adapter was.

Like I said, we could have gone either way, especially if we didn't already have the R56 Cooper there would have been no compelling reason to switch. You do get a new warranty, new included servicing and better MPG. There are practical reasons to do it, but not much else.

Old 10-11-2008, 12:20 PM
DanF
5th Gear
That is one the best write-ups I have ever read comparing the 2 models.

Old 10-11-2008, 01:18 PM
NashvilleMiniStan
5th Gear
I agree

Old 10-11-2008, 01:22 PM
Dinger28
2nd Gear
Thanks for the write-up. Much appreciated.
I took one for a test drive when they first came out and I was impressed with the low-end torque, but it seemed to basicall stop when I het 4500 RPM. Now maybe that was just becasue it was a first generation or maybe it could be changed with a computer upgrade?
I do have my 05 lowered and the R56 looks like a small SUV it has so much wheel gap. I will have to lower it to get rid of that wheel gap for sure.
I know I have about 6k or so in equity in my R53, so if I did decide to buy another one it would keep my payments just about the same as they are right now.
I was going to get the new BMW 135i, but I just bought my first house and I need to build a garage before I go upgrade the car. But if I just get another Mini I will still be happy, but still be able to keep my savings for the garage.
I am still on the fence about this one so if there is anyone else out there that would like to chime in please do.
I also just found out that my Credit Union offers 4.75% financing for cars with a combined MPG over 28MPG's!!!

Old 10-11-2008, 02:00 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NICE!! But why not have 2 MINIs??

Old 10-12-2008, 06:03 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Originally Posted by RJKimbell
NICE!! But why not have 2 MINIs??
I imagine if Dinger28 could he would.He stated that he just bought a house and would be using the equity of his '05 MCS to keep the payments about the same on the '09 MCS.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:25 PM
twocute
2nd Gear
comparison

I have an '04 S and my wife has an '08 Clubman S. I think the switch to turbo was a good one. More low end torque and much better mpg (31 vs 36). I agree that the sport button should be on all the time. The cruise control is better on the newer car. The newer one also rides better than the '04, and handles just as well. I'm still not sold on the newer turn signals, but am appreciating the start button. The oil filter is much easier to change on the newer one. Overall, we like them both - a lot!

Old 10-13-2008, 07:32 AM
Dinger28
2nd Gear
Hmmm.....
I am more thinking if I am going to like the turbo over the Supercharger. I do have a pulley so I have a little extra pep.
From reading a lot of the posts it seems like an exhaust would be first followed by intake and lower that damn thing. The R56 seems like it is 2" higher? I just don't like that wheel gap.
I have also hear lemon issues with the R56. Obviously there are lemons with every car, but I am just wondering if it is more or less with the R56.
Does anyne know if there are any differences between the 08 and 09 kinda like my 05 has different gear ratios and avail with LSD?

I just wanted to say that I love this forum. I have spent a lot of time on it when I got my first Mini and anything I want to figure out, you guys are always there.

Dinger

Old 10-13-2008, 12:58 PM
corcoranwtnet
4th Gear
There's a separate thread listing differences between 2008 and 2009 models.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:04 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I haven't had both, so take this for what it's worth.

I think the sport button should default as "on."

I can't believe the poor fuel economy on the earlier models. What was MINI thinking? (That's part of a deal-breaker right there.)

I love the flexibility of the low-end torque. Much better than my old BMW 325i, which was my previous car. (That's the other part of the deal.)

I test drove a mid-'06, but ordered an '07 (before release), when the aforesaid 325 started sounding sick. My MA said "the personality would be totally different" but even HE hadn't driven the new one. I didn't have a clue what I'd really get.

I'm happy!

Old 10-14-2008, 08:31 PM
JC Scooper
3rd Gear
I've had an 05 MCS and - not by choice - now have an 08 MCS, which is clearly a better and faster car all around.
For mileage, I got 27-28 mpg with the 05 and am getting 32-33 mpg with the 08. Those are all around figures but mostly for an interstate daily commute. I use either middle (occasionally) or high octane without any noticeable difference in performance.
I use the Sport button primarily for autocross but otherwise most of the time I am quite happy with "normal" operation once I get underway.
I terribly miss the supercharger whine and invidia catback sound from my 05 and its more intimate fit-like-a-glove feel and handling. But I love them both.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:18 AM
Krut
6th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
I'll pose an alternative opinion - I find that I like the R56s better than the R53s and here's why:

Styling - no significant changes so it's a moot point.

Interior - is much better - I've had 1 R50, 5 R53s and now 3 R56s - the R50 and the R53s did make my 6'0" torso ever feel comfortable - I fit but my back would ache on trips more than 1 hour.

Controls - Integrated USB and Bluetooth - much better, better sound quality on the bluetooth side. Ability to customize the settings is nice as it was a dealer performed option only.

Ride and suspension - ride is better with the R56, handling is not as whiptastic however, most people complained about the harshness of the R53, and I can see why MINI made it more compliant.

Engine - Direct engine turbo is much more efficient and the JCW has a lot of R53 character. The torque is truly staggering in the Cooper S, Cooper S JCW Stage 1 and MINI JCW.

Audio - on the fence with which one is better - I miss the Bass from the H/K sound system and the Sound Module system is not available for the R56. That said, even though the HiFi is a bit of lower quality than the H/K sound system - it's still decent bang for buck. Optional integrated Sirius, HD and iPod/USB is very nice. I have HiFi, Sirius and USB/Bluetooth in my current 09 JCW.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:59 PM
Noegel
5th Gear
Well, I'm on the Sport button side being optional but only on our Automatic Coopers (Sorry... nobody taught me Manual!). Unless you're driving fully manual, it shifts at around 4500rpm and doesn't shift into sixth gear.

But I could understand why manuals would want it on all the time... sometimes when I forget the Sport button and the DSC-Off button, I wonder what is wrong with my vehicle...

Old 10-24-2008, 11:01 AM
Dinger28
2nd Gear
Well I think that I am leaning towards getting new R56.
I have to change a wheel bearing & O2 sensor on my 05 before I go to sell it. (I can't sell a car with something wrog with it, thats just bad karma)
I think once I have those 2 things fixed, I will head to the dealer. Who knows they might give me a decent price on a trade in. (I doubt it) If not I will put it up for sale and order my new one once my 05' sells. I have a beater pick-up truck to drive in the meantime.
I think that the only thing that would have me change my mind is if I suddenly came into some $$ and I could swing the BMW 135i.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:16 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you're still on the fence, keep in mind that the older car is just that--older. A new car starts out with a warranty and free service, so you won't have the repairs which might be getting costly in your present car. You might find that you won't need some of those mods--obviously that's your call--but the flexibility of the turbo MINI is just awesome. From a power-response standpoint, the R56 just scoots, no matter what the job. Mine's totally stock, too. About the only thing I'd do to mine would be to get some noise like my old BMW had (probably needed a muffler), but it's not that important to me.

All you can do is just drive it and drive it until your MA is ready to pay your down payment just to get you to sign. Just kidding--would that it were that simple!

Old 10-24-2008, 11:45 PM
Sketch
5th Gear
Defintely do it!! I have not owned the previous gen mini (or any car for that matter) before my Mini, but I know for a fact that the R56 is a very different car from the R53. I have a couple of friends that did own an R53 and bought an R56 after, because they loved their Minis so much that they wanted the 'next level.' Not one of those people who bought an R56 and an R53 wish they hand not done it. Good luck!!