R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Ceramic tint brands, one better than the other?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 09:28 AM
aafflyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ceramic tint brands, one better than the other?

I'm leaning towards putting ceramic tint on my new MCS (five windows and sunroofs). At first I was going to get Huper Optik ($400, cash only, installer 80 miles away, highly recommended by Mini owners, workmanship guaranteed), but then a coworker recommended Formula One Pinnacle which would be done by a local shop ($315, seems to have good things said about work via google search, friend was happy with work on his car, workmanship guaranteed).

It seems I should save the $85, not drive 160 miles round-trip, and be able to go back to a local shop for any follow-up issues.

Any one with knowledge of the two brands (Pinnacle vs Huper Optik) care to comment?

Old 10-11-2008, 09:59 AM
proximal
4th Gear
I have ForumlaOne Pinnacle on my Clubman. That and the Huper Optik are very comparable in performance. I have heard that ForumlaOne is easier to apply since it is thinner- Huper Optik was originally designed for big, flat panes of glass (think buildings).

ForumlaOne is pretty picky about who their authorized installers are. Both of the shops I have been to did excellent work. $315 seems like a very good deal, the places I got quotes from had comparable prices between the two brands.

Old 10-11-2008, 05:30 PM
aafflyer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by proximal
I have ForumlaOne Pinnacle on my Clubman. That and the Huper Optik are very comparable in performance. I have heard that ForumlaOne is easier to apply since it is thinner- Huper Optik was originally designed for big, flat panes of glass (think buildings).

ForumlaOne is pretty picky about who their authorized installers are. Both of the shops I have been to did excellent work. $315 seems like a very good deal, the places I got quotes from had comparable prices between the two brands.
The $315 was actually $350 less a web 10% off coupon. The authorized installer has two locations which gave me two different prices via the phone. One for $380 and the other for $350. I asked the $350 location if the web 10% off coupon was off the $350. He said "I didn't even know we had a coupon on our web site, sure 10% off". That's how it became $315.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:24 PM
edjd
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+1 for Pinnacle

Pinnacle F1 in my wifes Limited Expedition El, ALL the windows (no front of course)..........humongous difference in heat retention (lack there of).... I know Huper is pretty good also, Mercedes Dealers use them alot, but more expensive and yes, very hard to put on, thus the higher costs. I've known some who put Huper on the front windows and use Pinnacle for the rest.... either one is good....as long as your sticking w/ Ceramic.... good investment and compared to metallic tint on my current HONDA, night/day difference...
my little car has an interior hotter than my wifes TEXAS SIZE SUV! ......

Old 10-13-2008, 12:41 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
Huper optic on mine since almost day one. Holds up fine to the TX heat. With the options you have it may better to go with the Pinnacle since it's closer and less expensive and the performance is similar.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:11 PM
aafflyer
5th Gear
Well, I went with the Pinnacle so that the installer would be nearby in case any issues.

I must say that it's taking me some to get used to the tint; right now I'm not too sure about it. I do like the outside appearance, its just the inside that my mind / perception is having doubts about.

I went with 35% on all 5 windows, and 15% on the sunroofs (based on installers recommendation).

I've never had a car tinted before, so I've got no point of reference. But I have to say the quality of the light in the car is now different and I'm not sure that I like it. It makes the color of the Tuscan leather appear different (off?), and driving home tonight the lights in the rear view were all off from what my mind expected.

I'm going to give it a week or two to see if I can get adjusted to it.

Anyone else experience second thoughts post tinting?

Also, there are some small water bubbles that I have to allow time to go away (the installer will redo if they don't go away), but where do they go? It seems that after the water is evaporated you still would have tint not adhering to the window.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:17 PM
seaaan
1st Gear
How does the color of your leather appear off [what do you mean by off?]? 35% isn't very dark, your bubbles should go away within a couple days. Let the tint cure in the sun.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:27 PM
aafflyer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by seaaan
How does the color of your leather appear off [what do you mean by off?]? 35% isn't very dark, your bubbles should go away within a couple days. Let the tint cure in the sun.
The off is in the shade (color) of the leather. It has this green cast to it, i.e. from the tint. Duh!

It's mainly the perception of what I was used to the one week without tint. If there's sun coming in from the windshield, the leather in this sunlight looks different than the leather with the sun coming in from the driver or passenger window. I think it's mental and hopefully will pass with time

I'm still confused as to how the film will adhere to the window where there are the small bubbles now. It seems that as the water evaporates your still left with the tint not contacting the window where the water was.

I know I'm over-thinking this, but that's what an engineer does. Ugh!

Old 10-13-2008, 11:04 PM
kewlby
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by aafflyer

I went with 35% on all 5 windows, and 15% on the sunroofs (based on installers recommendation).
Could you post a picture of your windows in daylight? I'm scheduled to do my tinting next monday. I'm thinking 50% or 35% on all 5 windows. I want light but not the heat.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:50 AM
aafflyer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by kewlby
Could you post a picture of your windows in daylight? I'm scheduled to do my tinting next monday. I'm thinking 50% or 35% on all 5 windows. I want light but not the heat.
I'll take a camera to work today and try to get some daylight shots in full sun.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:53 AM
edjd
2nd Gear
thats where I hear the Huper really excels pretty well at is allowing max light and keeping max 'heat' out..... again, I have pinnacle but I've typically have seen the huper on the benz....max light scenario...

Old 11-17-2008, 06:54 PM
kewlby
3rd Gear
50% Llumar Access Ceramic Tint

Here are some before and after picks of my tint job. I choose 50% on all five windows. I want the light but not the heat so this works fine for me.

Before

After

Before

After

Old 11-17-2008, 07:23 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Ok, I'm sold on 50% -- looks like quite a good balance to me.

Now to figure out what to give the sunroof...

Old 11-18-2008, 03:41 AM
MeloR56
3rd Gear
I have the Huper Optik ceramic tint (50% side windows and 30% sun roof panels)...excellent heat and UV rejection and has excellent optical clarity (none of that 'hazy' look you get from metallic films..in fact I am taking my C6 in to have the metallic film removed and the Huper Optik installed)... total cost for two side windows and sun roof panels was $230
Michael

Old 11-19-2008, 11:48 AM
NSX JR
3rd Gear
I have the Huper Ceramic 30 and love it (not in my sig pic). No experience with pinnacle.

This pic makes it look a bit darker than when viewing from the side.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:20 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
ooooooooooooo
aaaahhhhhhhhh

Old 11-19-2008, 09:36 PM
swflaboy
4th Gear
I decided to go with Wincos for tint. It's a non-metallic, non-ceramic film with high IR heat rejection. Pretty new film and not a lot of info available online. You can read a little about it here http://www.madico.com/WindowFilms/Auto_Products.asp. Was about $100 less than Huper and the installer gave me a good package deal when I had it installed along with Venture Shield clear bra.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:46 PM
MrTIer
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also, there are some small water bubbles that I have to allow time to go away (the installer will redo if they don't go away), but where do they go? It seems that after the water is evaporated you still would have tint not adhering to the window.
I had one good size bubble in the passenger window. I was worried that this was going to be a defect that I might have to live with. After 1-2 days it was completely gone! It amazes me that I cant see it!