R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Impressions: Crossed the 1200 Mile Line

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 01:31 PM
jhbjrpdx
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Impressions: Crossed the 1200 Mile Line

Am I still in love? Why yes, thank you.

Upsides: The car has met my long delayed expectations. I was hoping to have the feeling I was mostly driving a sports car with a backseat for my laptop case. Nailed it! These days it isn't about the destination. It's the getting there. Took the MCS on a 450 mile run to, up and back from the Oregon coast. We stuck to the back roads and while my wife enjoyed the view, I played. The car is rock solid and I love the engine note under acceleration. Got 33 MPG for the entire trip. When you are on well maintained roads the car is smooth. On rough roads it is mighty lively. Hey, it's a Mini.

The interior is a surprise. At no time do I feel like I am in a small car. This may be the first car I have owned where I actually have to move the seat up a couple of clicks. My long legs usually wrap around steering wheels. HiFi is fine. Oh those Germans and their love of tricky radio controls. What is it with those guys?

The car really loosens up over the first 1200 miles. Part of it may be getting used to the newness, but everything seems smoother now. Keeping it under 4500 RPMs sounds easy but isn't. It really wants you to wind it up. DSC Hill assist .

Downsides:

Less road noise than my Honda, but that isn't saying much. I knew what was I was getting so no complaints. The 16" runflats are a bit harsh. I am glad I didn't do the 17" or Sport suspension. The throttle/gear shifting takes a bit to get comfortable. I want the clutch to engage sooner for some reason and find myself feathering the throttle on take off just a bit when I get to greedy with the RPMs. I have the cosmoline drip but think it is mostly gone now. I am 6'1" so seeing some stoplights is a bit of a pain. Nice to have a 5'3" wife to spot for me.

Brake Dust! Holy cow, when I read about it here I thought folks were being silly. It takes as long to clean the wheels as wash the rest of the car. (Something I do way too often according to my wife. But I love the black top to shine.) Waxed the wheels but still a pain.

There are soooo many Mini Coopers in my neighborhood of Portland that I am regularly behind one, next to one or have one following me. It is more of kick to get out in big ol' SUV land and still see people smile when they walk by it in the parking lots.

Yesterday I experienced the cold start rattle. Holy cow, that sound is ugly. Oh MINI USA, when are we going to get a fix?

I also noticed something new the last few days. My clutch pedal seems to "vibrate" feel "un-smooth" when I shift. Hard to describe. It's like it has a rubber bushing that is rubbing as it press and lift the peddle. No change in the performance, just a niggle in the feel. Any ideas?

Finally, I have to say I have that silly grin thing working pretty hard when I get out of the car. After waiting a long time to pull the trigger, I am very glad I got the MCS. I can't wait to take it on some more road trips. Track Days next Summer, oh yea.... Life above 4500 RPMs is mighty fine.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:22 PM
4xAAA
6th Gear
Wait til you get off the run flats. Ride gets quieter and smoother. Still has that light touch=quick response feel.
Have the dealer check that clutch vibe. Maybe nuttin', but better check.
i have never heard the cold start rattle, but you have my sympathy.

Motor on!

Old 10-24-2008, 03:04 PM
manish
2nd Gear
the brake dust thing seems to be getting pretty common among sporty cars. my last car, an 05 Infiniti G35 was a nightmare as well, i gave up after a while and the front rims became stained from the dust. not sure what the deal is.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:14 PM
corcoranwtnet
4th Gear
As you may know, the cold start has often followed a very short start when the oil hasn't had a chance to warm up. Don't know if that was the case for you...

Old 10-24-2008, 09:21 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to the NAMily!! Wheel Armour is a great product to ease the Brake Dust cleaning routine.