R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 after market upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 07:58 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts
after market upgrades

i have a question. my '08 mcs has 13,000mi and runs super. i see a lot of aftermarket performance upgrages for my car(engine,power,related). how can the "jcw,dealor installed upgrade" be beat? waranty?

Old 10-29-2008, 08:08 PM
sk8erguyzach
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
get exhaust depot turboback exhaust,boost tubes then get m7 caiand that should be about the same as jcw performance

my setup is a home made cai(k&n) alta boost tubes forge bov with only 6000miles im getting exhaust depot turboback and boost tubes

warrnty wise i have no clue but ill tell you nov 12 when im back from the dealer for my replacement hood scoop

Old 10-29-2008, 08:10 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Is the factory warranty the utmost concern for you? If it is, then there's no contest; the JCW "Stage 1" is the ticket.

If the factory warranty is not of concern, then there are many aftermarket pieces to choose from. Based on my research of the R56 to date, a good turbo-back exhaust with a high-flow catalytic converter will gain about the same as the JCW "Stage 1" for about the same cost. Add in hard boost tubes with an intake muffler delete, high flow air filter, a big front intercooler, and an ECU flash [preferred versus a piggyback] and you'll have a monster of an R56 that will smoke a factory JCW.

Cheers,
Ryan

Old 10-29-2008, 08:26 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryephile
Is the factory warranty the utmost concern for you? If it is, then there's no contest; the JCW "Stage 1" is the ticket.

If the factory warranty is not of concern, then there are many aftermarket pieces to choose from. Based on my research of the R56 to date, a good turbo-back exhaust with a high-flow catalytic converter will gain about the same as the JCW "Stage 1" for about the same cost. Add in hard boost tubes with an intake muffler delete, high flow air filter, a big front intercooler, and an ECU flash [preferred versus a piggyback] and you'll have a monster of an R56 that will smoke a factory JCW.

Cheers,
Ryan
thanks,
i appreciate both your replys. for me, the factory support is a big deal. i am not a typical mod guy. i used to autocross porsches( 911, 944, and a '90 carrera). i am doing the math and the coverage of warranty by the factory, in addition to the performance upgrades of the jcw upgrade just seems to be a really good deal.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:55 PM
sk8erguyzach
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Ryephile

Cheers,
Ryan

you know of anyone that can do ecu flash instead of piggyback?

Old 10-30-2008, 05:10 AM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
If the warranty is that important, just install mods that bolt on, so when you have to take it in for work, just put the stock pieces back on.

Or buy the JCW stage 1 kit and replace the intake with something decent (DDM is good) to get an even bigger kick out of it.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:40 PM
WYSIWYG
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by sk8erguyzach
you know of anyone that can do ecu flash instead of piggyback?
Mini Madness for one. I know I've seen at least one other, but the names escape me.

For my money, I've decided to go with the JCW kit once it comes out for the 2009's. It may not be the most powerful, but I know I'll have no problems with it.

-C