R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Parade of Icons

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 07:26 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Parade of Icons

Tristan just went ding and showed a parade of icons across the tach, !, brake, DSC, tires at least. Quite disconcerting, and I'm wondering what it means. This happened to us with a hire MINI last year, we never worked out what that meant either. The manual does seem to say anything about parades of icons either. There's no trouble codes stored.

Anyone else seen this, or know what it means? I'll have to talk to the service advisor about this tomorrow.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:30 PM
Sketch
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh boy.....
Dude you better take your Mini in ASAP!!! Typically, that means its time for an engine replacement.

No im jk. Isnt that what happens when you turn on your mini and all the lights flash? Im sure its nothing major if the CEL isnt on, but im no grease monkey. Good luck!!

Old 10-30-2008, 11:23 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
It could be something, it could be nothing........ Sorry, no help here either, let us know what your dealer says!

Old 10-31-2008, 07:37 AM
djam43
6th Gear
There are lots of previous posts on that problem. If they were all yellow and went away, its probably not a problem and the fix is a replacment "steering angle sensor module" Your dealer should know this, as Mini has replaced a lot of them in the R56.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:53 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
The service advisor thinks it could be the brake fluid is slightly low. It sloshes around a bit and momentarily trips the fluid level sensor. He suggested I check it and top it up if I have any brake fluid, or bring it in if I don't. (I don't.)

The next problem is where is the brake fluid reservior on an 07 Cooper? The manual doesn't mention it as an item to check. Looking under the bonet, there's a little flap over on the right at the back, under that is what looks like a brake fluid reservoir. It is slightly low, but nowhere near what I'd expect the low level to be.

I'll have to take him to the dealer for a top up.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:52 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
I took another look, I'm pretty sure its brake fluid, it says to use "DOT 4" on the cap. Its actually down to the MIN marker, I should keep an eye on that in future.

I was sure I'd checked the brake fluid before, but that must have been on the previous MINIs, where the manual does tell you about it.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:27 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
I dropped by the dealer today and the service advisor topped up the brake fluid. Hopefully that's fixed it. Now I know how in future.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:28 PM
Smoogy
1st Gear
You should be fine. I had the exact same thing happen a couple weeks ago top up the brake fluid and no problems since.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:38 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
The problem never happened again, so the brake fluid is seeming probable. The low brake fluid was a bit worrying as I'd just been to a track day, and was going for another in December, so I got a brake flush done to avoid any problems.

At least now I know how to check the brake fluid.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:31 AM
Blainestang
6th Gear
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Btwyx
The problem never happened again, so the brake fluid is seeming probable. The low brake fluid was a bit worrying as I'd just been to a track day, and was going for another in December, so I got a brake flush done to avoid any problems.

Good to know, for future reference.

My MA showed me where the brake fluid reservior and such were during delivery, but obviously that wouldn't help me figure out what a "Parade of Icons" on my dash means

Old 01-09-2009, 07:36 AM
catseye
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Btwyx
....The low brake fluid was a bit worrying as I'd just been to a track day, and was going for another in December, so I got a brake flush done to avoid any problems.

check your pads (especially the front). The brake fluid level went low probably due to pad wear, quite normal after a day at the track.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:49 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Originally Posted by catseye
check your pads (especially the front). The brake fluid level went low probably due to pad wear, quite normal after a day at the track.
I did, they were still at about 7mm. They're down to 4mm now according to the service department at the dealer. I just took tristan in for his oil change, I ran the 15k first oil change down to 13.5k miles (he got his yearly one last year at 8k as well). While I was there they also did the brake flush as its due in April and they'll do it up to 3 months early if you're in for something else. Seems a little excesive to have 2 flushes in just over a month, but if they're paying for it I'll take it. I still think paying for a flush was a good idea as I was going to the track, at the very least I stopped worrying about it.

They also did a quick inspection and the front pads are now in the "May need future attention" column, with 4mm. The condition based service is giving them 6k miles more. If I had a track day coming up I'd be thinking about changing them, but we're taking Shawn to the next one. Interesting the service counter is now counting down to the front brake job when I start him up.