R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Portland MINI carjacking

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 08:16 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Portland MINI carjacking

HAPPY VALLEY, Ore. - Detectives and Clackamas County Sheriff's Deputies are looking for two suspects and a stolen Mini Cooper after a woman was shot and then forced from her new car in an upscale neighborhood in Clackamas County.

The woman was grazed in the leg by the shot police said was fired by one of two men who asked her for directions as she pulled out of her driveway in a new 2009 Mini Cooper automobile at about 8 a.m.

The crime took place in an upscale Happy Valley neighborhood near the intersection of Southeast Natalya Street and Anitea Way.

Most of the large, well-kept homes on the street where the carjacking took place have views of Mount Hood and the crime rate in the area is typically very low.

Police said the woman rolled down her window to talk to the suspects when they asked for directions and when they told her to get out of the car, she resisted and was shot.

The bullet reportedly grazed her leg and she did not require hospitalization.

The two men were described as a Hispanic with a mustache and a Caucasian described as "skinny," both in their 20s or 30s. Police released one suspect sketch Thursday afternoon.

The men reportedly forced the woman from her car after the gunshot and drove off.

The car is described as a white 2009 Mini Cooper coupe with a black racing stripe and Oregon Crater Lake plates showing the number 67886.

Nearby residents who came upon the police tape, deputies and detectives scouring the scene for clues said nothing of the sort had ever happened before in the neighborhood.

Police and deputies said that anyone who spots the car or suspects should call police immediately, as the men are considered armed and dangerous.

Last edited by Sowellman; 10-30-2008 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Update
Old 10-30-2008, 08:37 PM
SPUNKY
2nd Gear
That's so horrible especially to do to a woman Those guys are just cowards to do that to her, they don't have the ***** to do that to a man who's 6'5'' and built or what they're afraid of a beat down?!?!?!?! This ALMOST happened to my mixed martial arts instructors daughter with her bmw except that she is the daughter to a man who's been practicing the art for 60 years and passed it down to his kids... They didn't expect anything from a cute little girl except to take a new bmw but instead they got taken out and arrested.....

Old 10-30-2008, 08:42 PM
buddylove
1st Gear
Wow, that sucks. Hope they find it and the thieves.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:08 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't imagine something like this happening. My first reaction about the MINInapping when I read this today was "OH my gosh!!" Next to my Husband and Dogs, my MINI is very important to me and I would put myself between them and any thugs like those!!

http://www.katu.com/news/33593289.html

Write the License Plate Number down and keep it with you...CALL 911 immediately if you spot it...do not persue. Let's all help this MINI find it's way HOME!!

Old 10-30-2008, 11:28 PM
mattsenpai
4th Gear
what! I thought this stuff only happens in Houston..
And Gee.. why did they have to steal such an easy car to spot? Am i right?
Despite their size.. MINIs stick out like a sore thumb..

Old 10-31-2008, 06:17 AM
4xAAA
6th Gear
Slags.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:51 AM
bluemeanie357
4th Gear
I'm glad she'll live. I hope they catch the dirtbags. Be careful out there, everybody.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:05 AM
brutefarse
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Sowellman

The woman was grazed in the leg by the shot police said was fired by one of two men who asked her for directions as she pulled out of her driveway in a new 2009 Mini Cooper automobile at about 8 a.m.
They'll try to get you when you have your guard down! It's a shame we can't even feel safe in our own homes anymore
Be safe out there.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:10 AM
darmog
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mattsenpai
what! I thought this stuff only happens in Houston..
And Gee.. why did they have to steal such an easy car to spot? Am i right?
Despite their size.. MINIs stick out like a sore thumb..

Yeah, I was thinking that too. Its not like its a silver Honda Accord which might make it harder to spot in traffic. On another note, I'd like to have seen a car chase in this particular situation if only to see if the damn thieves don't realize how much torque steer the MCs has and ends up wrecking themselves the first time the overboost function comes on.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:02 AM
Mini2na
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by darmog
On another note, I'd like to have seen a car chase in this particular situation if only to see if the damn thieves don't realize how much torque steer the MCs has and ends up wrecking themselves the first time the overboost function comes on.
The report on TV showed a Pepper White MINI, not an S, so the torque steer won't get them but still, how cowardly and reprehensible. SCUM! I'm in the area and I've got my eye out for it.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:23 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
KATU is reporting that the MINI has been found, is being treated as evidence and inspected. And I don't think it's the White Glove Treatment!!

Old 10-31-2008, 12:33 PM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My speculation would be that it is an automatic transmission car too. One side benefit to having a manual is that probably 90% of the folks out there nowadays don't know how to drive one. Glad everything worked out okay.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:42 PM
clayvt
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mtbscott
My speculation would be that it is an automatic transmission car too. One side benefit to having a manual is that probably 90% of the folks out there nowadays don't know how to drive one. Glad everything worked out okay.
Very true...i was watching one of those police video shows and there was a foot chase and there was a view from a traffic camera of the suspect carjacking someone at a red light, and just sat there...long enough for the cops to rush in and rip him out of the car. later he was asked why he didnt just drive away...his response "i cant drive stick"

Old 10-31-2008, 01:44 PM
Dwell
4th Gear
Originally Posted by SPUNKY
That's so horrible especially to do to a woman Those guys are just cowards to do that to her, they don't have the ***** to do that to a man who's 6'5'' and built or what they're afraid of a beat down?!?!?!?! This ALMOST happened to my mixed martial arts instructors daughter with her bmw except that she is the daughter to a man who's been practicing the art for 60 years and passed it down to his kids... They didn't expect anything from a cute little girl except to take a new bmw but instead they got taken out and arrested.....
I know Japanese guys who have been into Aikido for the past 40 years. Doesn't matter tho- when someone's got a gun pointed at you, be smart- walk away. A $23k mini isn't worth your life.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:24 PM
darmog
4th Gear
Since they found the car so fast, I wonder if she had comfort access so the car pretty much died when they turned it off not realizing there was no key and just abandoned it?

Old 10-31-2008, 07:53 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RJKimbell
I can't imagine something like this happening. My first reaction about the MINInapping when I read this today was "OH my gosh!!" Next to my Husband and Dogs, my MINI is very important to me and I would put myself between them and any thugs like those!!

Write the License Plate Number down and keep it with you...CALL 911 immediately if you spot it...do not persue. Let's all help this MINI find it's way HOME!!
You had me rotflmao when you said MINInapping

Old 11-01-2008, 07:02 AM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I say we all drive up their in pairs looking for these scum. Could you imagine 100's of mini's roaming the streets looking for criminals?

Old 11-01-2008, 07:33 AM
Minian
5th Gear
First I must say I'm glad she is ok, and I hope all goes well.

Now, "MINInapping?" We sure got it bad, but hell our language is growing.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:37 AM
Minian
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Flyinace2000
I say we all drive up their in pairs looking for these scum. Could you imagine 100's of mini's roaming the streets looking for criminals?
Yea that's it!! Minians, Minitians, Motorers of the world unit.

Please note - I'm making light of the subject, with the understanding that the subject isn't light at all.

Old 11-01-2008, 09:23 AM
AvidMINI
Seeing CHILI RED!
Originally Posted by darmog
Since they found the car so fast, I wonder if she had comfort access so the car pretty much died when they turned it off not realizing there was no key and just abandoned it?
That would be pretty funny, actually. Only the dumb crooks would probably take it out on the poor car!

I hope that woman recovers quickly and that she gets her car back in one piece. Grazed or no, her injury is still potentially life-threatening, considering her medical history and the possibility of blood clots, infection, etc. I wish her well.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:58 PM
Oakland Raiders Mini
5th Gear
Whoa! The 2nd dirt bag didn't even have eyes.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:41 PM
Krut
6th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by DuongR56
Whoa! The 2nd dirt bag didn't even have eyes.
Which would explain why they didn't get very far....

Old 11-03-2008, 07:46 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
As the economy tanks this will happen more and more. Remember situational awareness; always watch who's around you and what they're doing...

Old 11-03-2008, 08:07 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If only she had been packing and was trained in the use of the weapon. I bet the outcome would have been different.

Too bad.

The idiots will make a mistake and spend some time behind bars. Maybe a long time if they continue to use that gun.

I don't think they want to come to my neighborhood.

Pat

Old 11-04-2008, 06:25 AM
rippymcs
4th Gear
This makes me think that it is probably a good reason to use the "keyless" trick if you don't have the comfort access option.

What's the "keyless" trick? It's when you take the key fob out after you have shut off the engine, then within 10 sec or so restart the engine without the key fob.

Quick Reply: R56 Portland MINI carjacking