R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 iPhone 3G Recommendations for Music & Phone

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 10:11 AM
WildButterZ
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iPhone 3G Recommendations for Music & Phone

Hello,
I have looked through these forums but did not find what I was really looking for. So I'm hoping one of you could help me out.

I got my new 2008 Mini S in May and I did not order the USB/Bluetooth setup, which I now wish I did. I just have the AUX port in the center console. So I just got a new iPhone 3G the other day and I now want to use it with the stereo and my steering wheel.

Can someone tell me what are my options, I would also love to use the hands free talking since I have that on the steering wheel as well.

Thanks a bunch!

Old 11-02-2008, 10:32 AM
OkieSnake
4th Gear
Even with the USB/Bluetooth option you iPhone would still be outputting sound out of the earphone jack on your iPhone. However, with the USB/Bluetooth option you can see and controll your iPhone music selection. To play music from your iPhone just go to someplace like Radio Shack and get a 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm adaptor and plug one end into your iPhone and the other into you car's Aux Jack

Old 11-02-2008, 12:29 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OkieSnake
Even with the USB/Bluetooth option you iPhone would still be outputting sound out of the earphone jack on your iPhone.
With the USB/BlueTooth option the sound would be comming out of the line-out on the phone (out of the dock connector), which in theory gives better sound quality.

Even without the option you can get docks to get the sound out, I like the Griffin Autopilot, that also charges the iPod and has simple transport.

Old 11-02-2008, 02:26 PM
thejokell
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Btwyx
With the USB/BlueTooth option the sound would be comming out of the line-out on the phone (out of the dock connector), which in theory gives better sound quality.

Even without the option you can get docks to get the sound out, I like the Griffin Autopilot, that also charges the iPod and has simple transport.
It's not a theory - a line out skips two gain stages which add noise to the signal. But I second your recommendation for the Autopilot - it's a great way to get your iPod/iPhone into your aux connection.

However, you won't be able to control the iPod from your stereo. In order to do that you'd have to install an integrated system. Mini offers an option that would put a dock connector in your secret compartment. There are some other aftermarket options as well, but I have no experience with them on a Mini.

Old 11-02-2008, 04:27 PM
OkieSnake
4th Gear
Well I have the Bluetooth/USB option and the adaptor that came with the car has both the docking adaptor that plugs into the iPhone AND a 3.5 mm input that plugs into the iPhone. My 3G iPhone will not play if I don't have the 3.5mm jack also pluged in. I have an 08 MCS with Nav. It will play music from thumb drives pluged into the USB port though.

Old 11-02-2008, 04:47 PM
thejokell
4th Gear
Well I have the Bluetooth/USB option and the adaptor that came with the car has both the docking adaptor that plugs into the iPhone AND a 3.5 mm input that plugs into the iPhone. My 3G iPhone will not play if I don't have the 3.5mm jack also pluged in. I have an 08 MCS with Nav. It will play music from thumb drives pluged into the USB port though.
The cable that came with the Mini has a dock connector on one end, and a usb and 1/8" connector on the other. That 1/8" connector is the line out. Nothing plays over the USB connection - it is only there to control the iPod/iPhone from the stereo.

Old 11-02-2008, 04:55 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There is an inexpensive cable that will get line-out audio to the AUX. I think the Apple Store has something similar. However, this wont charge the phone, which the AutoPilot does.

The only way to get MFSW control, that I know of, is with the Bluetooth/iPod USB option, or the iPod Integration. Only the first will give you the phone connection, but I don't know whether it can be done by the dealer, or is factory only. It would be expensive, if it can be done.

I made a platform for a cup holder, mounted an Apple Universal Dock on it, and provide charging power with a Griffin PowerJolt V2 Car Charger. The Dock comes with a small remote that can be velcroed in a convenient place. I have Bluetooth, but my 2007 MCS predated the USB option.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:30 PM
OkieSnake
4th Gear
Sorry for my error. The iPhone does in deed only connect through the docking station. The adaptor has a "Y" with a USB connector that connects to the car's USB port and a audio jack that must plug into the AUX port of the car. What seams strange to me though is that music can play from a USB drive only but the iPhone requires two connections into the car.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:15 PM
poolemac
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 11-02-2008, 08:21 PM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Sorry for my error. The iPhone does in deed only connect through the docking station. The adaptor has a "Y" with a USB connector that connects to the car's USB port and a audio jack that must plug into the AUX port of the car. What seams strange to me though is that music can play from a USB drive only but the iPhone requires two connections into the car.
It's because audio from the iPod/iPhone is encrypted. Any of the Apple devices that support 'Generic Storage Mode' can have music on them stored that way and be read directly from the USB port, but anything stored this was isn't accessible from the iPod itself. At that point it's just a very expensive thumb drive.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:23 PM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
The only way to get MFSW control, that I know of, is with the Bluetooth/iPod USB option, or the iPod Integration. Only the first will give you the phone connection, but I don't know whether it can be done by the dealer, or is factory only. It would be expensive, if it can be done.
There's also mObridge, but it doesn't look cheap.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:36 PM
Sketch
5th Gear
You know, I faced this problem before I ever got Coop. But my solution,. was not use my iPhone for music at all. For me, I went with a basic iPod Nano that could hold all my music, and easily be tucked away, while being hooked to the aux. I know this doesnt help, but it worked for me. In addition, with so many models available, you could probably find one to match your interior color scheme. Just my two cents..

Old 11-03-2008, 12:24 PM
torobud
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
There is an inexpensive cable that will get line-out audio to the AUX. I think the Apple Store has something similar. However, this wont charge the phone, which the AutoPilot does.

I made a platform for a cup holder, mounted an Apple Universal Dock on it, and provide charging power with a Griffin PowerJolt V2 Car Charger. The Dock comes with a small remote that can be velcroed in a convenient place. I have Bluetooth, but my 2007 MCS predated the USB option.

Robin the only problem with that cable (and I bought that one from Amazon) is that it doesn't work with the Iphone (ipod is no problem)

The one I have found that does work with the iphone is here: Linky

That one isn't great (flimsy and such) but the sound quality is much better than going through the headphone output

Old 11-03-2008, 03:44 PM
WildButterZ
Neutral
Thanks. I guess I will first go down to the Mini dealer and see what they can do, other wise it looks like one of those BlueAnt things and get a auto pilot as well. I should have bought the USB/Bluetooth.

I must say, I would have loved to have used the button on the steering wheel to enable it.

Oh, yea thanks again for all of the info!

Last edited by WildButterZ; 11-03-2008 at 03:52 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:19 PM
thejokell
4th Gear
Originally Posted by torobud
Robin the only problem with that cable (and I bought that one from Amazon) is that it doesn't work with the Iphone (ipod is no problem)

The one I have found that does work with the iphone is here: Linky

That one isn't great (flimsy and such) but the sound quality is much better than going through the headphone output
Here's a much better option than that one:
http://www.sendstation.com/us/produc...neout-usb.html

Old 11-03-2008, 09:08 PM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Originally Posted by thejokell
Here's a much better option than that one:
http://www.sendstation.com/us/produc...neout-usb.html
It may not be an option that lets you keep the MFSW control, the MINI cable houses a USB to serial converter. A similar discussion on cables is here.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:16 AM
thejokell
4th Gear
Originally Posted by nicknbecka
It may not be an option that lets you keep the MFSW control, the MINI cable houses a USB to serial converter. A similar discussion on cables is here.
I know that - what I posted is an option simply to get a line out of the iPhone.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:05 AM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
I noticed you posted about it above about a different cable, just making sure everyone's aware the same applies to the Sendstation too.