R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Anybody add SIRIUS to thier MINI?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008 | 06:39 AM
maacodale
|
4th Gear
Anybody add SIRIUS to thier MINI?

Hey Gang, I'm looking at adding SIRIUS to the new MINI. I was planning on just installing my XM receiver, but with XM being bought by SIRIUS this might be a good time to try them instead. So my question to y'all is, has anyone had the dealer install SIRIUS after they bought their car? And yea, I'm a dummy and shouldda just ordered it with it already installed. Hind site is always 20/20. Thanks

Old 11-11-2008 | 09:50 AM
pilotart
6th Gear
For the 2009 year model, only advantage of factory install over dealer install is saving the Dealer's labor charge for the install.

Earlier models Factory Install came with 'lifetime' (for the VIN) subscription, but now they are both one year subscription.

You will need to negotiate the install charges with your dealer, the cable and wiring exists and the receiver is installed under the seats
and then the cars computer software must be programed to operate it.

After install, you will need to 'activate' your one year subscription with Sirius.

Old 11-11-2008 | 11:20 AM
Rainforest_Elf
2nd Gear
Have you had a Sirius radio in your car before?? I had a rental (a Sebring) for about 2 weeks, which was nice car and the radio itself in idea seemed excellent. I loved it the first two days. Then I started driving it around through areas with trees and tall buildings and the signal went to CRAP. Really choppy, like a skipping CD. I wouldn't recommend it, personally

Old 11-11-2008 | 12:09 PM
jluckyfish
2nd Gear
I had the factory install Sirrius lifetime subscription and its great. Just added an XM package to my exisitng subscription. I thought about an aftermarket receiver but didnt like the looks, the "add on" "stuck in place" look of the aftermarkets and am HAPPY I did factory/dealer install.

Old 11-11-2008 | 12:18 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
I also had a Sebring Rental w/Sirius and noticed while driving the Tennessee>North Carolina Mountain Park Roads, that it would drop signal at times.

The Sebring Satellite Antenna was located under the windshield, on the dashboard, where the MINI's is in the base of the external Antenna on the roof. Don't know about Sirius, but XM also has Ground Repeaters to supply signal (seamlessly) while in city canyons and underpasses.

Also, at this point, unless I just had to have the MINI's 'intergration' of the Sat Radio Controls, I would just buy an after-market Sirius/XM-Auto Radio Kit, you can still use the MINI's Sat Antenna and feed the sound into the Aux Port.

I am currently using a five year old XM Delphi SkyFi that can also be used when not in the car on the same subscription. Its included Remote Control provides all the 'control' I need and MINI HiFi just controls tone and volume.

There have been many "How to..." Threads on DIY install of Satellite Radio, here are two:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=149790

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=149750

Here is a photo of my ancient SkyFi:

Click HERE to open a full size version of that photo, then click on the new photo to see full size.

Last edited by pilotart; 11-11-2008 at 12:30 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 11-11-2008 | 01:01 PM
geekswrath
5th Gear
While I can't comment on the quality, mine doesn't work yet, I can say something about the install. I bought the stock parts off a fellow NAMer. It installed pretty easily, just had to remove the passenger seat and install. The only caveat is that now I have to go back to MINI for them to activate. In order to do this I was told all my firmware would have to be updated at a cost of $200.

Old 11-11-2008 | 01:15 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
I have Sirius in my R50 and I wouldn't be without it. I listen to it every day, pretty much non-stop when I'm in the car. I know the install is a little harder now than when I did mine, but it's still pretty easy. I don't believe, however, that the current recievers get the new "best of XM" channels. So I would find that out for sure and determine if that's important for you.

But overall, a pretty easy DIY install (a $200 firmware flash is INSANE, btw...) and I love mine and how it's seamlessly integrated with the car.

Old 11-11-2008 | 02:54 PM
xqb3b
3rd Gear
I have an aftermarket Sirius and have been thinking of having the dealer do the "factory" install (don't like having the "add-on" control unit) Anyone done this? What did dealer charge?

Old 11-11-2008 | 03:48 PM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Price quoted for Sirius installed. $$$$$$$$$$$$

The price of the Radio & parts = $599.00
2.5 hours laber @ $123.40 = $308.50
Shop fee of $20.00
Fl.Tax = $60.57
Total cost will be $988.07
I'm probably going to do it but it sure is expensive.
Like someone already said. "The 2 1/2 hour laber charge is really out of site.
Ronnie.

Old 11-11-2008 | 03:59 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
I would DIY it. Even $200 to flash the firmware is better than $330 in labor/shop fees.

Also, call around to different dealers if you have access to them. Some will charge less, and some offer club discounts. I got my parts from Classic MINI in Mentor, OH, and they have a 10% NAM discount and are often cheaper than my dealer to begin with.

And you should be able to find an independent shop to flash the firmware for MUCH less than $200.

Old 11-11-2008 | 05:58 PM
rob_gendreau
2nd Gear
FIRST you should check out what you want to do with audio.

I love Sirius, but frankly if I were doing it now I might just go with the iPhone instead. I get pretty good G3 where I live, and there are a couple of apps (Pandora and another one that streams just about any radio station you can find) that I can use to get music. Not as high fidelity as the Sirius, but cool nonetheless. And you’ve got a phone. Do you have the installed bluetooth or iPod package? An iPod might also be better.

Even if I were to go with Sirius, I’d maybe not dump a whole lotta $$ on it cuz there may be new receivers coming. I have a Stiletto 2 and I LOVE it. I carry tons of other MP3 on the micro SD card I put into it, it’s portable to my other vehicles with no extra fees except the cost of antenna and cradle, it records, it rocks. Or rolls, depending on your music preference.

The downside is that it’s a bit of hack to install. I HIGHLY recommend the ProClip holder; it has a bolt pattern that’ll match the car cradle, and it mounts in a nice location, specific to the MINI. I wired mine to a line coming out of a splice I did at the cig lighter receptacle (a bit tight, but doable), and wired it to the existing antenna wire (see posts here at NAM for how to do that; I didn’t even need to move the seat). Works great.

Rob

Old 11-11-2008 | 06:35 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ronnie948
The price of the Radio & parts = $599.00
2.5 hours laber @ $123.40 = $308.50
Shop fee of $20.00
Fl.Tax = $60.57
Total cost will be $988.07
I'm probably going to do it but it sure is expensive.
Like someone already said. "The 2 1/2 hour laber charge is really out of site.
Ronnie.
I would recommend a portable Sirius or XM receiver with an optional home kit. For around $100, you get a receiver you can use in the car or at home. Yes, it's not fully integrated into the car audio system, but it's much more practical, and the $900 savings can be put towards other MINI goodies.

Old 11-11-2008 | 06:39 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MLPearson79
I have Sirius in my R50 and I wouldn't be without it. I listen to it every day, pretty much non-stop when I'm in the car. I know the install is a little harder now than when I did mine, but it's still pretty easy. I don't believe, however, that the current recievers get the new "best of XM" channels.
Yes, they do. Sirius/XM has cleared a few channels on each system to offer a "best of" package from the other system. So, XM owners can get a handful of Sirius channels (at an extra monthly fee), and the same goes for Sirius owners being able to get a "best of" XM. I mostly listen to music on XM, and I'm very pleased with the current offerings, so I'm just sticking with plain old XM for now.

Last edited by miniclubman; 11-11-2008 at 06:45 PM.
Old 11-11-2008 | 08:27 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
"...Cleared a few channels..."

Must mean that subscribers who don't go for the "best of" package now have fewer channels since the merger.

Old 11-11-2008 | 08:45 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
If you look on their website though, you will see that some receivers get the "Best of Sirius" channels and some do not. Mine does not. The ones that do get them were brought about very recently and I am going to guess that the OEM receiver is not one of them since it's likely the same part from 2007.

My point was not that they didn't "clear channels" for the Best of Sirius, but rather that many Sirius subscribers with receivers that are older than six months or so will not receive these channels because their receivers are not compatible. For example, this one is compatible. This one is not.

Old 11-11-2008 | 08:46 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by pilotart
"...Cleared a few channels..."

Must mean that subscribers who don't go for the "best of" package now have fewer channels since the merger.
The regular subscription is $12.95 a month. To get the "Best of XM" channels, you have to have a compatible unit and pay $16.95 a month. Not sure what that translates to for people on the yearly or lifetime plans. I have the $12.95 plan and still get all my regular channels.

Old 11-12-2008 | 12:59 AM
fishbert
6th Gear
People still listen to the radio? Wow!

The only time I listen to the radio is when I have a concern over local traffic, or when I haven't had time yet to plug in my mp3 player and pick a song, audiobook, or podcast.

Old 11-12-2008 | 04:14 AM
maacodale
|
4th Gear
Ya know, it's funny. Since I started this thread for my wife and daughter. Personally, I'm an AM talk radio fan mostly. My XM talk channels don't really live up to expectation most of the time. But I do still enjoy the XM music channels right often. I think the biggest part of doing the dealer inatsll is, like mentioned a few times above, so I don't have the add on unit. And, as mentioned above, having the home unit to take the receiver out of the car and into the house is nice. But I think in the Clubman I'd rather have a more original look. I've got a price on the radio, now if I could justget the service advisor to return my call, I'd find out what the install charge is. THAT may make a difference!

Old 11-12-2008 | 05:46 AM
xqb3b
3rd Gear
Anyone here who has him/herself installed the "factory" Sirius unit?? I know the antenna is under the passenger seat.... but is there also a power connection under the seat for the receiver? (makes sense that the receiver requires a power connection.) Are there brackets to which the receiver attaches... or does it just sit loose? Any help would be appreciated since I'm trying to decide whether to try this install myself.

Old 11-12-2008 | 07:11 AM
geekswrath
5th Gear
All the connections are there (antenna, fiber signal, and power). There is a plastic cover and a big piece of foam where the SAT module would go. When you buy the radio from MINI it comes with all the hardware you need to install, extra actually. It can be a little confusing at first but it is engineered such that it will only install one way.

Save some money and do the physical install yourself. The hardest part is removing the passenger side seat. Make sure you disconnect the battery before you disconnect the air bag sensor under the seat and then reconnect the air bag sensor before reconnecting the battery. If you don't the car will throw a code that has to be reset by a dealer.

Old 11-12-2008 | 07:28 AM
pilotart
6th Gear
MeloR56 has done an excellent photo/discription job on his thread to show exactly what is under seat and how to get there.

Yours may look different (and have easier access) because you should also have a 'DSC' computer in same location.

Old 11-12-2008 | 08:31 AM
xqb3b
3rd Gear
Thanks guys.......great information. I just returned from a short trip to Classic Mini where I asked them to quote total price to do the job, including parts and installation and was told $1030 + tax, which would make it just over $1100. I don't see how they came up with that much labor, but I didn't challenge or argue with the service writer I spoke with. At this point, even doing the job myself (which with your additional information I'm confident I could do), I'm not sure getting rid of the add-on receiver (a Stiletto2 mounted with ProClip) is worth the cost. Even doing the installation myself I'd still have the dealer cost to flash the firmware (I didn't ask Classic their separate charge to do that). Maybe if I didn't already have the Stiletto it would be a different story.

Old 11-12-2008 | 01:55 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MLPearson79
If you look on their website though, you will see that some receivers get the "Best of Sirius" channels and some do not. Mine does not. The ones that do get them were brought about very recently and I am going to guess that the OEM receiver is not one of them since it's likely the same part from 2007.

My point was not that they didn't "clear channels" for the Best of Sirius, but rather that many Sirius subscribers with receivers that are older than six months or so will not receive these channels because their receivers are not compatible. For example, this one is compatible. This one is not.
According to the XM website (www.xmradio.com) you can add a "best of Sirius" group of channels to any XM receiver, old or new. It is not limited to certain XM receivers.

Old 11-12-2008 | 07:32 PM
kevshootz
3rd Gear
I have the factory install version. I live in Chicago, and the reception is HORRIBLE. bad enough that I haven't used it in months.

Considering I drive 99 percent within the city, I have found the interference so bad I can't stand it. it will go in and out about every few seconds, and sometimes it can't grab a signal for up to 15 seconds.

I have had it looked at 3 times and even replaced.

but nothing helped.

So maybe check to see what reception is like where you are first.

Old 11-12-2008 | 09:10 PM
georgia7377
2nd Gear
I got it in my 08 with the lifetime subscription. I don't think it's that way w/ the 09's. Anyway I used to have a receiver and it was alright. Worked great, just an eye sore. I have a 4" stubby antenna and works great. As of today sirius changed their channels. They integrated some of the XM channels in there. I know because half the channels I had setup are new channels. For example backspin is now an all Led zeppelin channel. no complaints. love lz.

Quick Reply: R56 Anybody add SIRIUS to thier MINI?