R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 I Got Hit

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 05:39 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Yo'sDad
If anyone is more concerned that I mistakenly called this person an illegal alien than what he did and how it effected me, then that is your right. It is also my right to be pissed off as hell. I'll be quiet now and will no longer respond to this thread.

YD
Oh I'm concerned about what happened and fact there are dirt bags out there that do this type of thing, get away with it and the then the law is unwilling to do anything about it. But this concern also quickly disappears when you make stereotypic comments.

Anyway, karma is wonderful thing...

Last edited by Benibiker; 01-01-2009 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:53 PM
irishone
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote=minim8o;2611821]What lawless part of the country do you live in there where county borders are treated as if they were country borders prohibiting serious criminals from being apprehended?!!!

I'm not sure about not going after someone for more serious crimes, but there are states that are called "sanctuary states". Several illegal's worked at Mayor Hickenlooper's restaurant in Colorado, and one ended up killing a cop. Sanctuary states let illegal's go for, what cop's consider, less important offenses. I have hear of illegals who have had 7 or 8 driving without a license stops and being let go. If a legal citizen were stopped without a license and insurance they would have to answer for it. In sanctuary states they don't. Some of the people stoped commit more serious crimes later on.
Please, no flames. I'm half Hispanic myself and I'm just answering a question. Actually, the whole thing pisses me off and I actually answered as nicelly as I could. Sanctuary is B.S. in my book.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:00 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
[quote=irishone;2611862]
Originally Posted by minim8o
What lawless part of the country do you live in there where county borders are treated as if they were country borders prohibiting serious criminals from being apprehended?!!!

I'm not sure about not going after someone for more serious crimes, but there are states that are called "sanctuary states". Several illegal's worked at Mayor Hickenlooper's restaurant in Colorado, and one ended up killing a cop. Sanctuary states let illegal's go for, what cop's consider, less important offenses. I have hear of illegals who have had 7 or 8 driving without a license stops and being let go. If a legal citizen were stopped without a license and insurance they would have to answer for it. In sanctuary states they don't. Some of the people stoped commit more serious crimes later on.
Please, no flames. I'm half Hispanic myself and I'm just answering a question. Actually, the whole thing pisses me off and I actually answered as nicelly as I could. Sanctuary is B.S. in my book.
Don't you get it, no one knows if this person was illegal. He looked Hispanic so he must be illegal? It's like me saying "the driver had long hair, it must have been a woman driver".

I'm outta here, may 2009 bring a more civilized world........

Old 01-01-2009, 08:50 PM
ThomasW
3rd Gear
-Off topic-
I think the main point behind the term illegal being applied to him was that he ran like he had no insurance, and nobody can track him down based on his address and no places of employment. All sounds illegal to me. (Sounds like here in South Carolina, 300 illegal immigrants were just caught at a chicken factory near me, everyone probably saw it on headline news)

-On Topic-
You're lucky the Hummer swerved late and side swiped you instead of plowing into your rear bumper. I can't imagine how destructive that would be. My parents are worried about me going from a Jeep to a Mini, not like a Jeep would hold up much better to an H2, and sure doesn't have as high of a crash rating as a Mini. I'm sure the side airbags were helpful in that situation.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:34 PM
Tygo
3rd Gear
[quote=Benibiker;2611960]
Originally Posted by irishone
Don't you get it, no one knows if this person was illegal. He looked Hispanic so he must be illegal? It's like me saying "the driver had long hair, it must have been a woman driver".

Off topic:
He said the cops knew the drivers name and couldn't get to him because he lived in the next country, so its either a criminal tourist or an illegal alien? You assumed he was hispanic, you should try to be a little more racially sensitive.

On topic: Sorry to hear about the hit and run, but you were making a right turn on to a major street right? Doesn't that make it your fault? Unless he was changing lanes in an intersection, moving truck or not he has the right of way. He didn't rear end you so it was his lane to be in... If he had stopped I'd say you were for sure at fault, you got lucky he ran, now you can take him for the hit and run

Old 01-01-2009, 09:42 PM
russgriz
3rd Gear
Re-read the post Tygo. The original poster said "county", not "countRy". So your point is moot.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:52 PM
minim8o
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Benibiker
My question does not question or care about the offending parties race, rather wanting to know what part of the country the counties treat law enforcement in the same manner normally reserved to the way states treat law enforcement. ridiculous he won't answer that at least.

Interesting read about Sancuary states irishone.

Last edited by minim8o; 01-01-2009 at 10:59 PM. Reason: so many screwed up quotes; finally fixed the quotes that keep screwing up on everyone's response
Old 01-02-2009, 01:47 AM
Böhme417
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by callahan00
Don't feel bad. My 4 month old R56 was totalled in a parking lot by a drunk driver in a Ford F350. Basically sqaushed it.
My first car was totaled in a similar fashion. It was hit, along with a few other cars, in the middle of the night by a drunk driver in an F150. However, that's when I got my MINI.

Does it really matter who was originally at fault for the collision? The Hummer hit the OP's cars and fled. Is it not then a hit and run?

Old 01-02-2009, 08:04 AM
Tygo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by russgriz
Re-read the post Tygo. The original poster said "county", not "countRy". So your point is moot.
my bad, retract off-topic post

Old 01-02-2009, 09:19 AM
Engender
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by SPUNKY
I got clipped by a Hummer H2 today I was turning right to merge into traffic and this moving truck was making a righthand turn into a shopping center. I turn right and this bright red Hummer hauling some **** comes out from behing the moving truck and changes lanes into the one I'm turning into and smashes into me then swerves into the turning lane, waits a little then takes off!!!!!!!! The headlight got taken out, trim, front bumper, and something is scraping on the bottom of my car whenever I go over a bump. I didn't get his plates due to the airbag in my face
It sounds to me like Spunky already had control of the lane he was in, and that it was the Hummer that was merging into the lane. Spunky's MINI was at the rear of the Hummer on the passanger side when the collision occured.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:38 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Böhme417
My first car was totaled in a similar fashion. It was hit, along with a few other cars, in the middle of the night by a drunk driver in an F150. However, that's when I got my MINI.

Does it really matter who was originally at fault for the collision? The Hummer hit the OP's cars and fled. Is it not then a hit and run?
Yes it matters.

Ironically, I just handled a claim similar to this one this morning.

Just because the driver of vehicle A fled the scene, doesn't mean the driver of vehicle B is not liable or at least contributory liable. Sometimes drivers flee not because they feel they are at fault, but for reasons not related to the accident (warrant out, drugs in the car, the vehicle is stolen, etc).

Old 01-02-2009, 09:41 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Engender
It sounds to me like Spunky already had control of the lane he was in, and that it was the Hummer that was merging into the lane. Spunky's MINI was at the rear of the Hummer on the passanger side when the collision occured.
Not enough info for me to assess which driver was liable, but when my first take on this when I read what happened... sounds like the OP may be at-fault or at least contributed negligence in the accident.

Some accidents are so complicated, we need recorded statements, police reports, witness statements, scene investigations, etc... to determine who is liable. So we're certainly not going to be able to assess fault with any degree of certainty here on a message board.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:07 AM
MoxieMini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Grab the AR's boys, we're going Hummer hunting .

Seriously though, I hope you find this guy and throw his a** in jail!

Old 01-02-2009, 11:31 AM
minim8o
4th Gear
A rare kill...

Old 01-02-2009, 06:11 PM
MoxieMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minim8o
A rare kill...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA . That comment was terrible, but it made me laugh.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:27 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
There was one guy on here a month or two back who had a lifted truck hit him, flipping the truck completely over onto its roof, and leaving relatively minor damage to the MINI's door. Can't find that thread now, though.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:08 PM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Yo'sDad
You are correct, I do not 'know', but he was driving a total junk car, had an hispanic name, did a hit and run, and no way to track where he actually is or where he may work. I have tried.

I actually don't care whether he is illegal or not, he is sharing the road with me (and you) and acted in a total foolish and dangerous manner. Luckily, my wife was not seriously hurt. I do not claim to be politically correct. I call it like I see it, even if I am proven wrong later. When he hits and runs like a chicken ****, he automatically looses all rights in my book. I am the victim and I'll call him anything I want to, in fact, illegal alien was one of the nicer terms I used to describe this POS.

YD
Well said......

Old 01-04-2009, 03:38 PM
ellinara
4th Gear
Call the cops at least to make sure that you at least have a claim and maybe they'll catch the guy you never know.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:41 PM
carsncars
4th Gear
Sort of unrelated...

But it saddened me to see an R53 MINI down my street that had its front corner punched in...

...by a snowplow. We've had a fair dump of snow the past few weeks here in Vancouver, and the owner never cleared it off the car so it became completely covered by snow. It was parked on the side of the street, so it's mighty hard for the snow plow operators to see it at night. Still... sad.

Morale of the story: when it snows a lot, either park the car in the drive, clear the snow off of it, or at least put posts where the corners of the vehicle are.

EDIT: Does the sight of a crunched MINI remind anyone else of the scene where WALL-E is all crunched up?

Old 01-04-2009, 05:34 PM
dwf137
5th Gear
^I'm from back east, but now live in seattle.

You had to have your cars cleared off of the street from the hours of 2am-6am in the event of snow. some streets you weren't allowed to park on if it snowed at all.

unfortunately the city of seattle (and I'm assuming Vancouver is in a similar boat) doesn't see snow very often and never had emergency snow guidelines.

The fact that people here think it's acceptable to drive with snow chains on cleared, non snow packed streets, boggles my mind. I've spent a lot of time at the local tire shop because they broke my TPMS sensor, and it's crazy the ammount of people coming in because they ran over potholes. They take turns as fast as they do when it's raining and freak out when their car doesn't turn. it's like people just don't have common sense here on the west coast. Hell, they all seem to forget how to drive in the rain once the summer is over. It's retarted.

I almost think that washington state needs to create a second liscense certification... one for snow. If it's snowing, you can't drive unless you have your snow liscense.
/rant.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:24 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dwf137
I almost think that washington state needs to create a second liscense certification... one for snow. If it's snowing, you can't drive unless you have your snow liscense.
You think Washington is bad? Try New Mexico. There was a sprinkler right outside my dorm that would arc out into the road. While the water was aimed at the grass or even when it was off entirely, nearly half the drivers I'd watch go by would swerve to avoid the damp pavement.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:02 PM
accel
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Benibiker
How do you know he's an illegal alien?
I guess the alien didn't stay to prove otherwise.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:41 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Originally Posted by accel
I guess the alien didn't stay to prove otherwise.
Makes me wonder if it wasn't the green bug eyed type that was seen....