R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Does an MC spare fit an MCS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 10:50 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does an MC spare fit an MCS?

As we've got non runflats on both MINIs, I'd thought that if we ever drove Shawn through the middle of nowhere (Death Valley is on the list) he could borrow Tristan's spare, just in case. Both have 16" wheels.

However, the S is supposed to have uprated brakes over the Cooper, so I'm wondering if the spare really will fit. So I just tried it. As I had the wheels off Shawn I tried putting Tristan's spare on Shawn. I'm still not sure, the wheel seemed to fit, it would even turn but there was a scraping sound.

I also tried the spare on the back, thinking the back brakes may be a bit smaller. Still some scraping.

Old 11-29-2008, 11:32 AM
FLKeith
4th Gear
The spare fits the rear but not the front. I carry a spare and, if I ever get a flat on a front wheel, I will need to put the spare on a rear wheel and move a good rear wheel to the front. I am not sure why you are getting scraping at the rear.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:13 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Btwyx
As we've got non runflats on both MINIs, I'd thought that if we ever drove Shawn through the middle of nowhere (Death Valley is on the list) he could borrow Tristan's spare, just in case. Both have 16" wheels.

However, the S is supposed to have uprated brakes over the Cooper, so I'm wondering if the spare really will fit. So I just tried it. As I had the wheels off Shawn I tried putting Tristan's spare on Shawn. I'm still not sure, the wheel seemed to fit, it would even turn but there was a scraping sound.

I also tried the spare on the back, thinking the back brakes may be a bit smaller. Still some scraping.
Where does it touch?

Do you have a JCW or go with a JCW Brake kit?

Old 01-08-2009, 10:33 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
I never saw the replies to this thread, I'm not sure why that is.

Originally Posted by FLKeith
The spare fits the rear but not the front. I carry a spare and, if I ever get a flat on a front wheel, I will need to put the spare on a rear wheel and move a good rear wheel to the front. I am not sure why you are getting scraping at the rear.
I just saw the idea of putting the spare on the back somewhere else, sounds like a good idea. (A bit of a duh! moment when I read that.) I'm going to have to try this again and check the scraping on the back.
Originally Posted by gnatster
Where does it touch?
I don't know, I'll have to try and work that out.

Do you have a JCW or go with a JCW Brake kit?
Just the plain Cooper-S brakes, but the fronts on the S seem to come larger as standard.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:20 AM
Blainestang
6th Gear
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Yeah, I could see how the spare wouldn't fit on the front of the S because the brakes are slightly bigger (I want to say 11.6" on the S and 11.0" on the Cooper, but that's off the top of my head), however, I believe the rear brakes are the same on each, so if you put the spare on the rear, it should work.

Just to be sure, I checked the MINIUSA site:

Front Brakes:
-Cooper = 11.0"
-CooperS = 11.6"

Rear Brakes:
-Cooper = 10.2"
-CooperS = 10.2"

Based on that, I'd say that you SHOULD be able to put the Tristan's spare on the back of Shawn... although the front may not work... and then again, it might... the MCS brakes aren't THAT much bigger in the front.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:01 AM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Also being smaller (donut spare) circumference, wouldn't that be a concern for the differential drive gears in the front?

Old 01-09-2009, 07:11 AM
Blainestang
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pilotart
Also being smaller (donut spare) circumference, wouldn't that be a concern for the differential drive gears in the front?
I would imagine that the overall diameter is the same as the "regular" wheels.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:54 AM
pilotart
6th Gear
Looks to be almost two inches less across, couldn't read the size, but saw it is marked "TEMPORARY USE".

Also saw a schrader valve near the bumper for pressure check, don't think TPM does it and will have to find the proper pressure,
it had been 60# PSI in my last car.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:11 AM
Blainestang
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pilotart
Looks to be almost two inches less across, couldn't read the size, but saw it is marked "TEMPORARY USE".

Also saw a schrader valve near the bumper for pressure check, don't think TPM does it and will have to find the proper pressure,
it had been 60# PSI in my last car.
Hmm... I'll have to check this weekend.

That was an ASSumption on my part that it would have the same overall diameter, because it is common to do so and it seems ridiculous NOT to, but anyway... I'll have to check.

Oh, and yes, there is a valve to check the pressure of the spare.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:30 AM
pilotart
6th Gear
Not for the "Space Saver" spares, it looks a lot larger than the one in my last car ('88 Chrysler LeBaron Ragtop),
and easier to access pressure check as well.

First one was in my '67 Firebird Ragtop and it came deflated and collapsed inside its rim,
there was a little 2500 PSI Cylinder to inflate and expand it.