R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 09 MCS with 17" Web Spoke/Performance Tires in Snow?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 07:27 AM
lawnboy
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 MCS with 17" Web Spoke/Performance Tires in Snow?

Looking to order a 09 MCS with 17" Web Spoke wheels and the performance tires. According to the configurator, the All Season Tires cannot be ordered with the 17" Web Spoke wheel (haven't checked with the dealer yet to see if he can do it manually).

However, I am interested in feedback from others who have the 17" Web Spoke wheels and the performance tires regarding how the MCS handles in an inch or two of snow given it is front wheel drive.

Has anyone managed to order the 17" Web Spoke wheels with all season tires through the dealer at the time of ordering?

Old 11-29-2008, 09:40 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
The problem with performance tires isn't just that they have no grip in snow, but they also have softer compound that hardens at low temperatures so they loose their grip even without snow.

I changed the high perf. runflats that came on my JCW for Bridgestone Potenza all-season non-runflats.

Last time I drove in an inch of snow with performance tires was some years ago in my '99 BMW 323i. It was a white knuckle experience, and I got lucky no cars or curbs were around when I lost control going really slow off a cloverleaf exit ramp. I've driven with tires appropriate to driving conditions ever since.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:51 AM
lawnboy
4th Gear
Now on a BMW I could see; would even try it or ask it or risk it, but was curious of how a front wheel drive (MCS) would handle. Sounds like not much different. Hopefully the dealer can swap out the performance tires for the all season.
Originally Posted by RaceTripper
The problem with performance tires isn't just that they have no grip in snow, but they also have softer compound that hardens at low temperatures so they loose their grip even without snow.

I changed the high perf. runflats that came on my JCW for Bridgestone Potenza all-season non-runflats.

Last time I drove in an inch of snow with performance tires was some years ago in my '99 BMW 323i. It was a white knuckle experience, and I got lucky no cars or curbs were around when I lost control going really slow off a cloverleaf exit ramp. I've driven with tires appropriate to driving conditions ever since.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:17 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lawnboy
Now on a BMW I could see; would even try it or ask it or risk it, but was curious of how a front wheel drive (MCS) would handle. Sounds like not much different. Hopefully the dealer can swap out the performance tires for the all season.
It doesn't matter whether its FWD or RWD. It's the tire grip. Performance tires have no grip in winter, regardless of FWD, RWD, AWD.

Besides, I think it's a myth and B.S. that FWD is better than RWD for snow. There have been plenty of times I was in my various RWD bimmers watching all these FWD cars slide all over the place, while I was straight as an arrow. It's all about tires, and being smooth and patient. I never had a problem in snow with even my M3, but I had Pirelli Snowsport tires on it during winter months.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:48 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ill keep my Conti all-seasons on for the winter (I have a beater I drive in the snow) then throw on my BFG G-Force performance tires in March. The latter provided zero grip when it got below roughly 20 degrees. Very harrowing

Old 11-29-2008, 11:59 AM
lawnboy
4th Gear
Yeah, very good point and guess the Traction Control even wouldn't help much.

It doesn't matter whether its FWD or RWD. It's the tire grip. Performance tires have no grip in winter, regardless of FWD, RWD, AWD.

Besides, I think it's a myth and B.S. that FWD is better than RWD for snow. There have been plenty of times I was in my various RWD bimmers watching all these FWD cars slide all over the place, while I was straight as an arrow. It's all about tires, and being smooth and patient. I never had a problem in snow with even my M3, but I had Pirelli Snowsport tires on it during winter months.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:20 PM
lawnboy
4th Gear
The 17" Challenge Wheels can be configured with the All Season Tires correct?

Old 12-03-2008, 06:36 PM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lawnboy
The 17" Challenge Wheels can be configured with the All Season Tires correct?
It wasn't an option for my JCW. I asked.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:51 AM
lawnboy
4th Gear
Really? Wonder why in the configurator it allows the All Season Tires to be matched with the Challenge Wheels, but it does not for the Web Spoke.

Anyone else equipped the MCS with the 17" Challenge Wheels and the All Season Tires?

Old 12-05-2008, 06:36 PM
lawnboy
4th Gear
Was thinking too the All Season Tires might not be available on the JCW given the various differences in the MCS and the JCW so if it allows you to add them in the configurator for the MCS, they might just work.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:54 PM
zarote
2nd Gear
You're kidding right? A piece of wet newspaper would have more grip.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:35 AM
lawnboy
4th Gear
Huh? Looking at the All Season Tires.

Any pics of your MCS?

Originally Posted by zarote
You're kidding right? A piece of wet newspaper would have more grip.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:53 AM
4cefed4
2nd Gear
There have been a lot of dry condition accidents the last several years now that high performance summer-only tires have increased in popularity. It is a common misconception that this type of tire is only not good in the snow, but as mentioned here, their lack of performance is just as bad on a cold road surface. A month ago my cousin lost control and totaled his Evo (all wheel drive) going the speed limit on a normal road, just because it was 20 degrees out and he hadn't swapped tires yet. Tirerack and other retailers should add a "cold road grip" rating to their tire review section, I think that the lack of mention of this issue is what causes a lot of people to be confused.