R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Rust: How Are They Holding Up?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 08:53 PM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Rust: How Are They Holding Up?

How have they been holding up to the road salt?
I hate that stuff.
I'm starting on my first winter.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:43 AM
grodenglaive
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm just starting my second winter. I did not get the factory rust protection, but wasn't really worried since the body panels are galvanized steel. No problems after the 1st winter, but I got nervous and had it treated last week at Krown rustproofing (parrafin oil spray). Even if the sheet metal suposedly can't rust it's good to have everything else protected.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:49 PM
Engender
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by grodenglaive
I'm just starting my second winter. I did not get the factory rust protection, but wasn't really worried since the body panels are galvanized steel. No problems after the 1st winter, but I got nervous and had it treated last week at Krown rustproofing (parrafin oil spray). Even if the sheet metal suposedly can't rust it's good to have everything else protected.
How much does something like that cost?

Old 12-01-2008, 05:35 PM
e30r56
4th Gear
I don't see the point to get any sort of coating seeing as you have a 12 year unlimited mile warranty against rust and corrosion from the factory.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:51 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
I can't see how the R56 will rust within that 12 year warranty. Between the fabric fender liners and the massive underbody coating/painting, there's no reason for anything to rust through anytime soon. As always, the more vulnerable locations are door/body seams and fastener pass-through, but that is not MINI specific in concern.

Last edited by Ryephile; 12-01-2008 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:57 PM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
I wish it had an under-engine cover like my VW had.
It seemed to help keep the engine cleaner.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:03 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
You mean the massive cover-up shroud of plastic? Have you ever removed any of those shrouds after 50k miles of driving? YUK! They only make it look cleaner from above. I'll take a cleanly designed and fully exposed engine bay any day over a veil of anonymity.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:19 PM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
Anonymity? I replaced the full coverage plastic model with an oem steel crash plate on my TDI diesel Bug. I The car had a low-hanging cast aluminum oil pan. I changed the oil from up top. I sold the car with 250k miles. I removed that plate just a few times. Talk about hard to do. It was like 35 lbs. It did take a number of hits over 8 years. Very strong. It had a tad lower ground clearance, but the Bilstein HD's helped with that.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:19 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by e30r56
I don't see the point to get any sort of coating seeing as you have a 12 year unlimited mile warranty against rust and corrosion from the factory.
+1...maybe this question can be posted in five years or so, but you'd have to drive an R55/R56 into the ocean to cause any rust problems this soon after model launch.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:44 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Living in Honolulu salt is everywhere, most mornings cars are covered in a light sprinkling of salt. and no still no rust issues yet.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:45 PM
pillar
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the welds on my custom exhaust is showing signs of rust...

someone on nam had theirs coated with high temp paint which is what i did... problem solved i hope...

Old 12-01-2008, 09:11 PM
david in germany
5th Gear
Us Military guys in Germany only get 24 month coverage..

Old 12-01-2008, 10:10 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Washing the car frequently and the undercarriage as well will go a long way to keeping rust at bay.

Pat

Old 12-02-2008, 06:33 AM
djam43
6th Gear
One of the benefits of the Cosmoline goop that they apply during manufacture.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:48 AM
Bishamon
3rd Gear
Given that rust became an issue in certain locations on the R53 after only a few years (and even on some cars that were never driven in the winter), I figured getting rust proofing was prudent. Of course, I live in Canada where road salt is everywhere in the winter. My previous car I had rust proofed annually by Rust Check, but after a few years the car looked dirty constantly because of the rust proofing leaking when it was warm (I never found any rust, however ). With the MINI, I had the rust proofing done at the dealer. It was more expensive (Rust Check was about $120 per year, versus about $700 through the dealer), but I only had to pay once at the dealer, and they check every year to make sure it doesn't need a respray. Plus, then I don't have to worry about rust proofing getting on everything as it builds up year after year.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:08 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by VelvetFoot
Anonymity? I replaced the full coverage plastic model with an oem steel crash plate on my TDI diesel Bug. I The car had a low-hanging cast aluminum oil pan. I changed the oil from up top. I sold the car with 250k miles. I removed that plate just a few times. Talk about hard to do. It was like 35 lbs. It did take a number of hits over 8 years. Very strong. It had a tad lower ground clearance, but the Bilstein HD's helped with that.
oops! I thought you meant under-hood engine cover, not an underbody skid-plate/splash guard. My mistake. I'll agree with you there. For some reason MINI decided to make the under-engine cover smaller on the R56 versus the R53, which was much more substantial. I'll chalk it up to different aerodynamics and more likely cost savings.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:30 AM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
On the plus side, it is very easy to change the oil!

Old 12-02-2008, 11:42 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First gen sub forum is reporting more instances of rust on doors and seams, even on models as late as 2005. Hopefully this gen wont be so prone to this.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:02 PM
Bishamon
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by sequence
First gen sub forum is reporting more instances of rust on doors and seams, even on models as late as 2005. Hopefully this gen wont be so prone to this.
This is why I went with the rust proofing.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:04 PM
aafflyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Simple rust fix -- move to San Diego

Old 12-02-2008, 12:41 PM
meb
6th Gear
I have an 05 and the lower portion of each door has rusted thru already - while washing the car this past weekend, a few pieces of paint/metal fell off onto my sponge...this rusted portion is about 1 1/2" long and migrates to the caulk line on the inside of the door and to about 1/4" up the outside of the door. When I saw this, I inspected both doors very carefully and I was SHOCKED!!! There are a few dozen tiny blisters on the outside of both doors and the entire area above the caulk strip on the inside of both doors has rusted. Unfortunately, the color Pure Silver is extremely reflective and I never saw this.

I am a wee bit fanatical about washing and cleaning and waxing this area. As I suggested in the other thread though, the rubber strip along the inside of the first Gen cars help to keep this area wet. This area is also near impossible to clean completely with anything but a toothbrush. Automatic car wash? Forget it, it'll never get this area clean.

Keep an eye on this area, no matter what Gen mini you drive!!!

I called Mini USA today and was told I have a 6 year unlimited mileage rust warranty. I have an appointment set up for next Wed at 9am with my dealership. I was told that both doors may need to be replaced...

Last edited by meb; 12-02-2008 at 01:01 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:00 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by meb
I have an 05 and the lower portion of each door has rusted thru already - while washing the car this past weekend, a few pieces of paint/metal fell off onto my sponge...this rusted portion is about 1 1/2" long and migrates to the caulk line on the inside of the door and to about 1/4" up the outside of the door. When I saw this, I inspected both doors very carefully and I was SHOCKED!!! There are a few dozen tiny blisters on the outside of both doors and the entire area above the caulk strip on the inside of both doors has rusted. Unfortunately, the color Pure Silver is extremely reflective and I never saw this.

I am a wee bit fanatical about washing and cleaning and waxing this area. As I suggested in the other thread though, the rubber strip along the inside of the first Gen cars help to keep this area wet. This area is also near impossible to clean completely with anything but a toothbrush. Automatic car wash? Forget it, it'll never get this area clean.

Keep an eye on this area, no matter what Gen mini you drive!!!

I called Mini USA today and was told I have a 6 year unlimited mileage rust warranty. I have an appointment set up for next Wed at 9am with my dealership. I was told that both doors may need to be replaced...
Wow, post some pictures of that area if you get a chance...

Old 12-02-2008, 07:18 PM
WEEEE 1
Neutral
I'm a rust belt sissy. I did the Ziebart diamond coat and the rust protection. In addition, the treated gravel roads make it really nasty. So...she's tucked away for the winter With the moisture we have and road salt...I wanted her covered for everything. If you are storing for the winter in a cold garage next to your salt covered beater...salt residue will end up on your baby. Yeah...I'm a sissy

Old 12-03-2008, 05:21 AM
meb
6th Gear
This weekend!

Originally Posted by Benibiker
Wow, post some pictures of that area if you get a chance...

Old 12-03-2008, 05:54 AM
grodenglaive
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Engender
How much does something like that cost?
$120. But maybe it was a waste of time:

I just read the owners manual - it says "every MINI vehicle receives thorough corrosion protection treatment during its production" and also "the warranty is for a period of 12 years without kilometre limitation".

Now I'm wondering what the extra rust protection the dealer tried to sell me was? I was under the impression it was necessary to get the warranty. I'm glad I said no.

Quick Reply: R56 Rust: How Are They Holding Up?