R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Grrr! antenna theft

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 04:44 PM
NTACTUALSIZE
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grrr! antenna theft

I am so p-o'd!! it seems like any time I take my bunger (07 mcs) out to the store or anywhere, I always come out to find my forkin antenna has ben kiped!!

I am not sure if its the locals here in the QC (queen creek,AZ for those of you who aren't in the know) This is the 3rd time i've had to replace my antenna since I bought the car. I've heard alot about catylitic converters getting stolen recently, is there alot of money in Antennas as well? Maybe bunger's cat is on the chopping block next????

anyone else have this problem or any creative solutions?

Old 12-02-2008, 05:39 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is this the stock antenna, or a stubby? I can't imagine there is a big market for stolen antennas. Perhaps someone is building an art project and needs lots of MINI antennas...

Old 12-02-2008, 05:41 PM
Vaca450
1st Gear
I doubt your cat is in harms way. These cars are way too low to at the cats easily. As for the antenna, some loctite on the threads should do the trick. I worried about theft when I bought a shorty and used some blue loctite. I tried to get it off by hand but couldn't. I figure if they want it bad enough to use pliers they can have it.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:41 PM
darmog
4th Gear
Don't know if it'd be legal, but for something like that, I'd glue on some painted black thumbtack ends on the area closest to the threads. Most thieves would prob just try to grab the antenna quickly without thinking to look it over. Surprise , surprise. Course, it could backfire on you and he gets pissed and further thrashes your Mini. Or you could just simply unscrew your antenna anytime you leave it in public. It'd prob be habit in no time like people always taking off their car stereo faceplate when they leave the car in public.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:23 PM
russgriz
3rd Gear
Do you have enemies? Someone specific is screwing with you. Maybe stealing antennas is a local teenage rite-of-passage, like stealing hood-ornaments was in my day, and you have just been VERY unlucky. People will break a $100 window on your car just to steal the $2 change out of the ashtray and leave behind the digital camera on your dash, because you don't have to fence change to get your money. Minimizes the risk. Who would risk fencing a MINI antenna and getting caught?

Old 12-02-2008, 07:12 PM
swflaboy
4th Gear
Glue it down. That will at least make them work for it. I lived in Phoenix from 1999-2001 and the car theft/breakin issues were awful. Seemed to be directly related to the methamphetomine problems(?). Is there copper in the antenna?

Old 12-02-2008, 07:25 PM
aafflyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Use some Loctite.

I don't know of you were using stock antenna or a stubby. If stock, I have one I can sell you at a very reasonable price -- I replaced mine with a stubby when I picked up the car.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:59 AM
condor27596
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Be sure to rub the juice from a poison arrow frog
on those thumbtacks !

Old 12-03-2008, 11:09 AM
Misterfamous
1st Gear
Originally Posted by darmog
Don't know if it'd be legal, but for something like that, I'd glue on some painted black thumbtack ends on the area closest to the threads. Most thieves would prob just try to grab the antenna quickly without thinking to look it over. Surprise , surprise. Course, it could backfire on you and he gets pissed and further thrashes your Mini. Or you could just simply unscrew your antenna anytime you leave it in public. It'd prob be habit in no time like people always taking off their car stereo faceplate when they leave the car in public.
Better still- wire the battery leads into the antenna base and electrocute any would-be burglar ! It's probably illegal to do this in most states, so use care, and consult your local police sergeant before attempting. Of course, you'd have to dispose of the body, and Lordy the MINI sure isn't a good car to haul it to the Everglades, New Jersey marshes, Nevada desert, etc.

Or... Loc-tite should work okay.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:18 AM
tjtull
5th Gear
I had my first stubby antenna stolen and I replaced it. The new one has a lot more torque on it and would be harder to get off. Thieving bastigiz.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:14 PM
minimalistic
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
Is this the stock antenna, or a stubby? I can't imagine there is a big market for stolen antennas. Perhaps someone is building an art project and needs lots of MINI antennas...
step 1) steal MINI antennas
step 2) ??
step 3) profit!!

Old 12-03-2008, 12:36 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
stop listening to the radio?

probably sucks anyway.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:45 PM
DrewN
6th Gear
Looks like you have to unscrew it and stow it every time you park, sux though...

Old 12-03-2008, 01:21 PM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I bought an aftermarket antenna for my R53 that uses an allen key for removal/installation... maybe that would help.

It's probably kids lifting 'em, having a quick 'sword fight' with their friends and then pitching 'em in the bushes a few blocks away.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:41 PM
xqb3b
3rd Gear
Consider running without the antenna stick. Personally, I hate the appearance of the stock antenna stick and removed it entirely. I primarily listen to Sirius, the antenna for which is in the base and doesn't rely on the stick. Also FM comes in loud and clear on all local stations. I only occasionally listen to one AM station for news and weather and get decent (not great) AM reception from that station. Without the stick the antenna sort of looks like a small shark tail like that on the BMW. Of course, your mileage may differ, but at least it's worth a try in your area.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:12 PM
corcoranwtnet
4th Gear
Added bonus: removing the stick will reduce weight, reduce drag, increase gas mileage, lower center of gravity, and improve cornering!

Old 12-03-2008, 03:22 PM
NTACTUALSIZE
1st Gear
Considering, I live in the QC; disposing of bodies won't be an issue 3/4 of unincorporated Queen Creek has been forclosed on, i could leave the bodies in my front yard w/ a for sale sign on them for oh, i'd say 3-4 weeks before anyone would even notice that they were, well...........dead. god bless america

Old 12-03-2008, 03:46 PM
maximus96
3rd Gear
i found no signal loss on the stations that i normally listen to so i removed the antenna. i bought a little plug from ACE to plug up the hole.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:35 PM
NTACTUALSIZE
1st Gear
ICE CREAM? ANY ONE?

Old 12-03-2008, 10:10 PM
eR1c
5th Gear
you said people are also stealing catalytic converters? ...when? ..I mean, not while your in the grocery store ...that requires some time and cutting of pipes or removal of rusted bolts (you usually have to soak the bolts for a day in PB Blaster or some similar product to loosen them). Also, what do thieves do with a used catalytic converter anyway? who's buying used converters?

Old 12-04-2008, 12:04 AM
mattsenpai
4th Gear
Originally Posted by eR1c
you said people are also stealing catalytic converters? ...when? ..I mean, not while your in the grocery store ...that requires some time and cutting of pipes or removal of rusted bolts (you usually have to soak the bolts for a day in PB Blaster or some similar product to loosen them). Also, what do thieves do with a used catalytic converter anyway? who's buying used converters?
my dad said some cars use a certain material for the catalytic converter and i guess it's worth some money? My dad's got stolen off his tacoma.. and so did my neighbor with his tacoma.. same night. hm go figure

Old 12-04-2008, 12:05 AM
fishbert
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by eR1c
http://www.edmunds.com/advice/insura...9/article.html
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...ar-theft_N.htm

Old 12-04-2008, 12:10 AM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Catalytic converters fetch anywhere from 20 bucks to several hundred depending on the vehicle it comes off of. A torch is usually needed(also the preferred method for pros) to remove them from cars.Not something that can easily be done in a parking lot while your shopping.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:24 AM
Silverbullit
6th Gear
When mine was stolen they just yanked it off and broke the mount also.
If you have big hands, changing the mount is one BIG PITA.

Old 12-04-2008, 05:48 AM
corcoranwtnet
4th Gear
They have a ceramic honeycomb covered with platinum as a catalyst, hence the term "catalytic" converter.

Last edited by corcoranwtnet; 12-04-2008 at 06:04 AM.

Quick Reply: R56 Grrr! antenna theft