R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 $350 oil change at the dealer. Is this normal price?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 10:30 PM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scarabbrian
The lead Mini mechanic at the dealer I take my car to said he didn't trust the recommended oil change interval and suggested 7,500 miles for oil changes. He thought the oil could take the millage but said there was no way the filter could and still be effective. That said they still charge for "early" oil changes.
I absolutely refuse to believe that ANY car can last that long between changes. I still plan to do a few myself when I'm about halfway there because, as you mentioned, there is no way the oil filter can take that much punishment.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:58 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stv
... Only thing is that they will not work on the car that has only 5000 miles on it. She said something like the corporate MINI do not allow them to perform oil change on the car that is not ready for due for service. ...
That is total B.S. because my MINI dealer did an oil change on request at 2500 miles. What is it with service centers acting like horses asses?

Old 12-05-2008, 06:16 AM
swflaboy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by scarabbrian
Actually, there is a torque requirement. Its written on the oil filter housing. Its 25 N*m which is about 18.5 ft-lbs. The filter housing is made of plastic and it would be easy to strip the threads if you over tighten.
There are specs for both filter housing and drain plug. You can find them in the DIY oil change link previously posted. I did not have a torque wrench and just tried to remember the approximate force I used to remove them. Not exact but it seemed to work fine. I have a torque wrench on my Christmas list.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:49 AM
SparklingMini
2nd Gear
That is for other services plus the oil change. You need to tell them you want just an oil change without the other services.

My dealer was going to charge me $362 until my service advisor asked if I was just needing the oil chang and not the other services.

My oil change ended up costing me 35-40 bucks.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:31 PM
Scooner8
2nd Gear
Just did my oil & filter change at the dealer after finishing my break-in.
$74 out the door.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:43 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by misslindsey
You have to pay if you want it changed anytime other than when the OBC indicates the "need" for an oil change. My OBC did not count down to service until over 20,000 miles. Dealers will change it once a year under the service contract otherwise. Many people do not trust MINI's durability cycle and change at lesser intervals (some after break-in, some every 7,500 miles).

X2....

I changed mine at 1200 miles, 5000 miles and every 5K after that. I've got over 15K miles on my car and the computer says I still have almost 3K miles before I'm suppose to get my first oil change under warranty.

I'm sure BMW engineers know better than I, but I'm not waiting 20K miles before my first oil change.

Mark

Old 12-11-2008, 09:26 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by stv
I called the Long Beach Mini. The service dept. told me that the oil change is $99. Only thing is that they will not work on the car that has only 5000 miles on it. She said something like the corporate MINI do not allow them to perform oil change on the car that is not ready for due for service. Now, what is up with South Bay MINI trying to charge me $350 for an oil change.
I paid $99 as well plus tax. Had it done at 1250 and it sounds funny that they won't take your $!

Old 01-06-2009, 10:56 AM
Minipitt
1st Gear
Just called my local dealership(south bay mini)for a quote on oil change & was told $190 just to change the oil & filter! if it needed a total oil service, would be $430! i think they should start random drug tests on all the employees there cause they must be smokin' crack!!!!!

Old 01-06-2009, 09:34 PM
stv
1st Gear
Just called my local dealership(south bay mini)for a quote on oil change & was told $190 just to change the oil & filter! if it needed a total oil service, would be $430! i think they should start random drug tests on all the employees there cause they must be smokin' crack!!!!!
Minipitt,

What ever happened to $99 oil change quote from the other members? It's amazing how things change. I guess I had a deal when south bay mini quoted me $350 for oil change. Did you consider the local auto services such as Steve's in North Hill or mini service shop in San pedro?

Old 01-07-2009, 05:48 AM
miniguy5
4th Gear
$350 is not too much to pay..... in the year 2069

Old 01-07-2009, 07:53 AM
scotteast
Old School!
Just to agree with everyone else, anything more than $100 is a total rip off. $70-$80 at the dealer is about right. It would be a few bucks less at a reasonable independent shop.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:05 AM
Minipitt
1st Gear
Originally Posted by stv
Minipitt,

What ever happened to $99 oil change quote from the other members? It's amazing how things change. I guess I had a deal when south bay mini quoted me $350 for oil change. Did you consider the local auto services such as Steve's in North Hill or mini service shop in San pedro?
I was trying to give Mini a chance since this is my first service after the warranty expired. Ill just take my car to Chris Choi @Brightside Performance in Torrance for the oil service. Ive been there in the past & they do great work. Besides, its an excuse to get the custom stainless steel brake lines ive been wanting

Old 01-07-2009, 10:56 AM
MoxieMini
6th Gear
I think my MA said that the service at Nashville was still around that $100 mark (give or take). I KNOW that the local BMW dealer in Bowling Green will do it for $90 (though they don't like to work on MINI's).

Old 01-08-2009, 05:20 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Minipitt
But they change out the summer air in your tires and put in winter air. They also change your blinker fluid (full synthetic) and rotate your wipers.
Most folks can't do that at home without a lift....

Old 01-08-2009, 05:47 AM
purplehaze05mcs
3rd Gear
MityVac Oil Evacuator?

Old 01-08-2009, 08:41 AM
tjtull
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Arnbut
But they change out the summer air in your tires and put in winter air. They also change your blinker fluid (full synthetic) and rotate your wipers.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:15 AM
dmeadow
2nd Gear
I was at Momentum Mini in Houston getting an in-warranty oil change last week.

A lady came in and was quoted $180 for an oil change. She complained that was twice what she was charged for the previous oil change. The service rep told her that it included a number of other checks including a "scope". I don't remember the outcome, but I think the service rep was checking to see if they would remove some of the services.

What is really silly is that I had an "early" oil change in July because my annual change came up before service was required according to the car's computer. That was at 15,000 miles. MINI's policy is not to reset the computer when the oil is changed before the computer says it is needed. So 5,000 miles later my service indicator tells me that I'm 1000 miles overdue for service. I take it back in and MINI changes the oil for free again, after only 5000 miles. According to MINI's assertions about oil changes, the second one was not necessary, but they did it because the computer said to (because they refused to reset)! Crazy.

Oh, and BTW, I changed the oil myself at about 7500 miles because I didn't like the idea of going to 15k to 18k for the first change as MINI suggests. I'll do any changes going forward that MINI doesn't pay for. It is pretty easy.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:09 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
Be careful posting that...someone might start asking about this.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:46 AM
dmeadow
2nd Gear
I've got a lift and I still can't do it . I managed to replace all the muffler bearings, though!

Old 01-09-2009, 10:43 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
just made the appt to have my break in oil removed at about 2K: $75 + tax. no arguments, no BS. they even offered to try and fix my minor pass door trim squeak.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:13 AM
stv
1st Gear
just made the appt to have my break in oil removed at about 2K: $75 + tax. no arguments, no BS. they even offered to try and fix my minor pass door trim squeak.Wow, Where? If you don't mind me asking.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:18 AM
wandrur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sequence
just made the appt to have my break in oil removed at about 2K: $75 + tax. no arguments, no BS. they even offered to try and fix my minor pass door trim squeak.
Wow...I might have to give them a call. Though I should probably change it on my own. I have the stuff I need, with the exception of the heated garage.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:17 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by stv
Wow, Where? If you don't mind me asking.
Schomp MINI, Denver. Their awesome service department is one main reason why I decided to stick it out with MINI, even tho my R53 was a problem child I soured on pretty fast.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:22 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by wandrur
Wow...I might have to give them a call. Though I should probably change it on my own. I have the stuff I need, with the exception of the heated garage.
last time I tried to change my oil on my truck, the Environmental Protection Agency was called in to mitigate the ill effects before it affected the ducks and squirrels. IOW, I'm all thumbs, mechanics-wise

Old 01-12-2011, 03:47 PM
AlexM
1st Gear
Just called South Bay MINI (the dealer closest to me now that I've moved) ... Lady on the phone quoted me $185 for just an oil and filter change and $495 for the complete oil service (which included a few other minor things like washer fluid).

Wow ... thank god for miniworx.com ...

Quick Reply: R56 $350 oil change at the dealer. Is this normal price?