R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Autodimming mirror not that great?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 07:35 AM
geekswrath
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pilotart
One thing that would help a lot with side mirrors would be to set them properly, see this website:

http://www.wikihow.com/Set-Rearview-...te-Blind-Spots

Following the above instructions results in your side mirrors not showing traffic behind you,
but in your normally 'blind' spot as they begin to pass and are no longer in your center mirror.

Safety is increased, as you no longer need to look 'over your shoulder' to clear for a lane change.

A side benefit is that side mirrors will no longer reflect headlight glare from following traffic.
Kind of a pet peev of mine, I can't stand being behind someone in a large SUV and being able to look the driver in the face through the sideview mirror. It just makes me that more apprehensive when I go to pass them, the mini is small already and fits in blind spots pretty easily.

I can sympathize with you wandrur. I have pretty light sensative eyes too and it only got worse after the laser surgery. Oddly enough the MINI is the forst car I've ever owned that glare from the sideview mirrors hasn't been an issue. Now oncoming traffice is a whole nother issue. I really hate the super bright blue halogens some people install, it actually hurts to glance at. No problems with HID's though, the light doesn't seem as blue to me.