R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Tire and wheel warranty paid off today!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 03:04 PM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Tire and wheel warranty paid off today!

I noticed I had a nail in my rear driver side tire. No big deal, i have the tire and wheel warranty, it should be covered. I dropped off my car friday night and saturday i get a call from the dealership. They tell me i not only had TWO nails in my rear driverside tire, but screws in my other rear tire and front passenger side tire! Three out of four tires had nails/screws in them. The claim is so large that the comapny wants to send a rep out on monday to confirm it all. So i will be Miniless until tuesday. Thankfully i got tire and wheel warranty. I think the dealer charges about $300 per tire so this would of cost me an easy $900. Plus i got a new tire about 3 months ago for a bubble in the side wall. So after this claim i will be with 4 new tires.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:14 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, great money spent.

I bought the same warranty for, (I got it at cost for 249)

It will allow me to replace both rims and tires twice over the next 5 years with unlimited mileage.

Figuring tires to be between 250-300 bucks, I thought 249 was a deal.

Mark

Old 12-07-2008, 05:17 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So, how long have you been working at the nail / screw factory, and why do you park your MINI inside, on the shop floor? A nail in one tire is common, two tires is unusual, three tires is either deliberate vandalism, or you're the unluckiest MINI driver of all time! Glad you're covered, but your's is the strangest "flat tire" story I think I've ever heard! Here's to better luck on your replacement tires!

Old 12-07-2008, 05:21 PM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
I work at a school and over the summer the gutted an entire science wiing and rebuilt it. I must of gotten them all there. Or i really pissed someone off.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:09 PM
wandrur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice. I'm going to add this warranty as soon as I get the money, though that probably wont' be until the end of January. Or maybe I'll be able to do it sooner. But it sounds like a good idea despite many people shouting it down.

Flyinace, what did you pay for your warranty?

Old 12-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
I want to say $399 for 3 years unlim mileage.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:34 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
We also purchased the Tire/Wheel Warranty for $350, a bit more than others, but given that a single tire is $300, I think it was a good purchase. It covers the tire/wheels for as long as we own the car and replacement tires are also covered so long as the replacement tire is comparable to the OEM.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:41 PM
russgriz
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad you got a good return on your warranty.

That's one.

We had a similar problem down here after hurricane Katrina. I drove around with tire plugs and an air compressor in my trunk for months. It was annoying but it got me through until they cleaned up the roads around here.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:28 AM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
The guy from the tire warranty company had to come and look at the car to pre-approve the claim. I was there yesterday and the dealership is still waiting to hear from them. I want my Mini back!!!

Old 12-09-2008, 09:55 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
Not to rain on your parade, but you could have had all 3 tires repaired for nothing at Discount Tire (I did that with my nail). Question: look at your dealer tire/wheel warranty. Is there a limit on how many tires &/or wheels you can get? I think that there was on the one they tried to sell me. What leads me to ask that is a (dishonest) person who just shows up with nails/screws in 3 of his tires that have 30k miles on them, then shows up 2 weeks later with one in the 4th tire. BTW, how many miles were on your tires? Maybe that's why they're having the warranty company approve it?

Old 12-09-2008, 10:03 AM
MiniFaron
3rd Gear
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico No I dont need a Green Card
Yes, the Tire warranty is GREAT! I mention it to everyone who buys a MINI from because it is worth every penny.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:06 PM
aafflyer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Not to rain on your parade, but you could have had all 3 tires repaired for nothing at Discount Tire (I did that with my nail). Question: look at your dealer tire/wheel warranty. Is there a limit on how many tires &/or wheels you can get? I think that there was on the one they tried to sell me. What leads me to ask that is a (dishonest) person who just shows up with nails/screws in 3 of his tires that have 30k miles on them, then shows up 2 weeks later with one in the 4th tire. BTW, how many miles were on your tires? Maybe that's why they're having the warranty company approve it?
My two month old MINI somehow picked up a screw in the sidewall (sticking in the tire about 1/2" above the ground on the inside of the edge of the tire). Discount Tire said it could not be safely repaired (i.e. they would not do it).

So, I had to buy a new tire -- $212 plus mounting (16" Goodyear Excellence Run Flat). But they were very nice and gave me a substantial adjustment ($84) as I bought their tire warranty for all four tires. It turns out despite someone else's post on another thread that Discount Tire does not sell warranties on new car tires, they do!

If I had gone in earlier, I would have had a road hazard warranty of the four tires for $120 total. As it is, with the adjustment, I got a warranty on all four tires now for a $270 price point -- which is still less than the price the dealer wanted.

FYI, the Discount Tire warranty does not cover your rims, but it is a three year warranty (or until tires are less than 3/32) with unlimited miles and is not prorated -- i.e. if tire is non repairable you get a new tire. Also, the warranty includes free tire rotation.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:29 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
I bought a set of tires from Discount for my Jeep GC. The warranty was $100. If they can't repair it the tire is free, AND, if the tires have worn down over about 1/8 they replace all 4 (the AWD will get wrecked if the tires have differing tread depths). Worked for me, I rockwrecked one tire at 40k and all 4 were replaced. And I didn't have to buy the warranty on the new set either.

Old 12-09-2008, 06:18 PM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Turned out the front tire did not get punctured so i only got 2 tires out of this whole thing. 2 rear tires. I had to pay out of pocket $800 but i will get a check in 2 weeks. Fairly satisfied. Now i have 2 brand new tires on the rear and 2 with about 28k miles on the front. I am putting snow tires on soon, but come spring time i will but the new tires in the front and the worn in the back.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:33 PM
Rossii
5th Gear
Several weeks ago I hit a pot hole damage two rims and tires......called up the the dealership took the wheels in. Got a call that both tires and wheels will be covered only problem is that the wheels 18" ASA R1's are no longer made so they will be fixed. Regardless I am glad the warranty paid off. Actually I've had a run flat replaced already so.......more than paid off.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:08 PM
ecupip
3rd Gear
WOW $250-350 is a good deal, my dealer told me it was $650 for the tire and wheel warranty. I was like are you out of your mind. I opted not to get the warranty. I have only had one nail in 14 yrs and 500,000 miles of driving.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:46 AM
larrydk
2nd Gear
run flat warranty

I purchased the run-flat warranty...it was expensive...$599?

I was'nt sure I wanted to do this...but...I've always been one to purchase extended warranties and they've almost always proven to be worth the money. The only exception was my last car, Honda Element, never a problem.

I really believe that those of us in urban locales benefit from these warranties, the roads in Chicago have been under construction for 150 years with no end in sight

Old 07-07-2009, 05:30 AM
galoki
2nd Gear
well... I feel stupid. I paid a bit more then most of you for mine.....too embarrassed to say...so don't ask

however, the day I got my car, some poor soul was having his mini dropped off the back of a flat bed with both front tires down and the rims bent. I talked to him in the waiting room and he said they were getting replaced with no additional charges because he had the warranty. I had not qualms about getting it, so I didn't question the price. All I know is based on what it would have cost him to replace two tires and two rims, it was considerably less.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:00 AM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Okay, so this is another thing my dealer had never offered me. It sounds like a sweet deal though, can I buy the warranty at any time? Or could I only get it at the time I bought my car? Does it cover normal wear?

My car is only a year old and all four tires (Continental All Seasons) already don't really have that much tread left. It'd be nice if I could pay 300 or 400 bucks and get them all repaired rather than spending the $180-$200 per tire when I need new ones.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:08 AM
wandrur
I spent quite a hunk of change for mine, but my tire plan is actually a tires for life thing. Never have to pay for another tire, wheel repair/replacement, etc. (so long as my dealer continues to honor the contract and stays in business).

Old 07-07-2009, 11:57 AM
Rossii
5th Gear
One thing to consider.......these plans have a hefty profit built into them. When talking to finance you can negotiate these prices. If they say "no" tell them you can buy it elsewhere. Chances are they will drop the price.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:10 PM
ecupip
3rd Gear
I think it should depend on your history of driving. If you are prone to picking up nails or have in the past it is a good deal(depending on the price you get and if you replace more than 1-2 tires before the warranty runs out).

Otherwise if you are lucky not get nails all the time then I wouldn't spend the money.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:54 PM
MrTIer
3rd Gear
My dealer wanted $500 for the tire warranty. No way, I thought, since I figured a new tire would be ~$250. I thought it was way too much! I didn't get it and haven't had a problem after 10 months. I rearly get flats anyway, maybe 1 or 2 in like 15 years. Its that extended, extra warranty thing that always gets me. I've bought several extended car warranties (you know, 5 yr/100K mile thing) and have never got anything substantial for the money I paid. Since then, I've decided that I won't fall into that trap again. It like prepaying for a possible problem; if you want you feel good by going into a dealership and saying "It cost me nothing" for a repair, then great. But, you have already paid in advance.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:15 PM
Rixter
5th Gear
My dealer wanted $1200 for the warranty. I said no thanks. That's way over the top. I want to switch to regular tires when I'm done with the RFs anyways, problem is at 3500miles per year, it's gonna take me a while

Old 07-07-2009, 07:48 PM
aafflyer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Rixter
My dealer wanted $1200 for the warranty. I said no thanks. That's way over the top. I want to switch to regular tires when I'm done with the RFs anyways, problem is at 3500miles per year, it's gonna take me a while
For $1200 you can get new wheels + tires + new TPMS sensors -- I just did this yesterday at 10700 miles with runflats having 7/32 tread left.

Quick Reply: R56 Tire and wheel warranty paid off today!