R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Help, I need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 05:32 PM
john_lim
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help, I need advice!

hey guys im new here and im looking at configurations for the 09 MCS
and my budget is 25 grand and things i want is sunroof dark silver black roof 6spd and id like LSD and heres what i have come up with tell me what you think thanks in advance
  • Dark Silver w/ black roof
  • Premium Package
  • LSD
  • 6 speed
  • $24,850
im planning on dumping stuff in later on

do i really need DTC?

Old 12-24-2008, 06:29 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome to NAM.Your config sounds good,I wouldn't worry about the DTC.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:53 PM
JCW2009
Neutral
I did not catch what LSD is, but you should consider adding the Sport package (if you have selected leather seats, make them cloth or leatherette and the price should not change much). Since you are building your Mini, I would highly recomment the auto dimming mirror. Any lights on your rearview mirror will seem as high beams (it is $250 if factory installed, otherwise about $600 for the part -with the universal garage opener, optional, and 2 hours of labor ($200). Don't think that you can install it yourself, as you will need an extra wiring harness and then the car's computer needs to be reprogrammed to recognize the new accessory (I know, I went through this second route).
Enjoy building your MCS!! (and Merry Christmas!)

Old 12-24-2008, 09:17 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by OXYBLUECOOP
Welcome to NAM.Your config sounds good,I wouldn't worry about the DTC.
What's DTC? If it's the same as DSC, I disagree. It will save your bacon some day, and if it only does it once in your car's lifetime, you'll be glad you had it.

If it's NOT the same as DSC, well...never mind!

(I do agree with the LSD. The mechanical kind, anyway. Showing my age here.)

Old 12-25-2008, 12:45 AM
Sketch
5th Gear
Like JCW2009 said, I too would go with the sports package. It is the only BIG option I have on my MCS, and am very happy with it. At first I was not the least bit happy that I jhad the sports package and nothing else, but I soon realized that it was porbably the best choice of package for me. Anyway, have fun with your Mini, and dont forget to check out the little things, such as the chrome line interior, white turn signals or rear fog lamps. Its the little things that can make a big difference!!

Old 12-25-2008, 08:22 AM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Originally Posted by john_lim
and my budget is 25 grand and things i want is sunroof dark silver black roof 6spd and id like LSD and heres what i have come up with tell me what you think thanks in advance
  • Premium Package
  • LSD
  • 6 speed
  • $24,850
Nicely configured and falls with in your budget of $25K
Since you have $150 left over from your budget I would suggest at least adding the rear fog lights option for $100.

Old 12-25-2008, 08:45 AM
IzzyG
6th Gear
x3(or whatever) on sport package. Doesn't DTC take over DSC after 01/09? And I believe it's standard, I might be mistaken though. Skip the auto dimming mirror. If there are brights behind you, just turn the **** under your rear view mirror and it'll remove the annoyance.

Old 12-25-2008, 10:05 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JCR1960
Since you have $150 left over from your budget I would suggest at least adding the rear fog lights option for $100.
Oooo--SO true. I remember specifically NOT ordering the rear fogs because we don't get fog here. Never dawned on me that we DO get heavy rain. And you get those stupid cut-outs just screaming for something in them.

If (and I hope it never comes to this) I ever have to order another Zippeee!, that is the only thing I would change.

Old 12-25-2008, 10:14 AM
bluemeanie357
4th Gear
If you live where it gets cold you'll like the heated seats. I don't have a problem with the rear view mirror, but got the rear fog light.

Old 12-25-2008, 05:21 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bluemeanie357
If you live where it gets cold you'll like the heated seats. I don't have a problem with the rear view mirror, but got the rear fog light.
You don't have to live up Nawth to like bun warmers. And they're especially helpful for those with bad backs.

It's easy to inch up the bucks on these cars, with all the options available. I do think, however, that an extra grand can make the difference between nice and REALLY nice!

Old 12-25-2008, 05:27 PM
elprofe
5th Gear
Skip the sport...you can hand pick the stuff you like instead of the package.

Old 12-25-2008, 05:34 PM
kukaepe
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You might also consider the $100 option I kick myself for not ordering. The white turn signals make a big difference in the frontal appearance. I don't mind the yellow rear turn signals but the front turn signals look like egg yolks next to my xenon lights. I don't think changing to white later is an affordable option with headlight washers/xenon lights. Like the rear fogs, this is a $100 well spent.

Old 12-25-2008, 05:43 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kukaepe
You might also consider the $100 option I kick myself for not ordering. The white turn signals make a big difference in the frontal appearance. I don't mind the yellow rear turn signals but the front turn signals look like egg yolks next to my xenon lights. I don't think changing to white later is an affordable option with headlight washers/xenon lights. Like the rear fogs, this is a $100 well spent.
My car was built right at the time this was first allowed as an option. I don't think they're as bright, though, are they?

If you have to shed a few dollars, I'd drop the auto air that's in the Premium package. It doesn't work well (our climate, anyway), because the fan cycles on and off. I'd much rather have the auto wipers. VERY useful.

Old 12-25-2008, 06:11 PM
kmartin
1st Gear
I bought Betsy off the lot. She came with heated seats, something I thought was a waste. Daffodildeb is right, turn the seats up to 2 when my back is sore (I'm a middle aged desert racer, sore muscles are a regular occurance), and I'm in heaven. Be careful though, with the seats on high I smell ironing.
My opinion, skip the sport package and get the cold weather.

Old 12-25-2008, 06:42 PM
ChrisTKD
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by john_lim
  • Premium Package
  • LSD
  • 6 speed
  • $24,850

do i really need DTC?
The car comes with traction control. DTC just allows you to turn it off. The other posters have suggested the sports package. But that costs 1500 so you would have to get rid of the premium package. If you want the sunroof then I think your choice of the premium package is a good one - the multifunction steering wheel is a good option and you get the auto air tossed in for free with the package. I can't say whether the LSD is worth the price.

Overall, I think you've got a good configuration. You get the most important features you want without loading on too many expensive goodies.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:13 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
Oooo--SO true. I remember specifically NOT ordering the rear fogs because we don't get fog here. Never dawned on me that we DO get heavy rain. And you get those stupid cut-outs just screaming for something in them.

If (and I hope it never comes to this) I ever have to order another Zippeee!, that is the only thing I would change.
You could fill in the cut-outs in the rear bumper with the R56 MCS brake light kit for $75.00 from minspeed.net

Link:http://minspeed.net/R56BLK.htm

john_Lim I am sorry for the thread hijack.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:57 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ChrisTKD
The car comes with traction control. DTC just allows you to turn it off.
Are we talking about the same thing as DSC? Or has there been a second device that does the same thing? When I ordered my '07, and for that matter, when we got the BMWs, there is/was a thing called Dynamic Stability Control. I knew the law was changing in the next year or two, has this been replaced?

There are a number of threads about the pros and cons of DSC (in whatever incarnation), but I hadn't heard of a paid option to turn it OFF. Or am I missing something here?

Whatever, I'd do some real research about whatever's out there now, before you pay an insurance deductible (or worse) because you didn't check the right box.

As an example (and I realize this might be semi-obsolete), I was in a line of BMWs on a fun drive a couple of years ago--we were in our 530, since the MINI hadn't been delivered. All of us went around a very slow corner that had some damp leaves on it. Our back end of our car broke loose. Fortunately, it was quickly tamed, but it illustrated the difference between DSC on and DSC off. And it gave us the boot necessary to have it fixed.

Again, read the various threads. Just about all of them start with the "Help, I need advice!" topic when ordering. Here's a good one:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ink-think.html

For that matter, there are always various threads on general ordering information to look through...

Old 12-26-2008, 09:47 AM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
Are we talking about the same thing as DSC?
DTC is different from DSC, but I'm not sure what it actually is, its new and hasn't been delivered on many, if any MINIs yet.

DSC is now standard, and as far as I can tell its the same as it ever was, and includes ATC, CBC, EBD and possibly other bits of the alphabet. DTC is now what they sell as the upgrade, I can't work out what DTC does but it includes the eLSD feature which could be interesting. MINI's description says DTC takes over when DSC is turned off and says it allows more sliding before interfering.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:27 AM
ChrisTKD
2nd Gear
The S has the following standard features: All Season Traction Control, and Dynamic Stability Control. If you want the potential for sportier handling which requires the driver to take more responsibility for the car you can order Dynamic Traction Control. DTC allows you to turn off the Dynamic Stability Control. http://www.miniusa.com/#/learn/FACTS...nce_Features-s.

You can also order Limited Slip Differential. It seems like there's a bit of overlap in the Mini descriptions of each option. I guess if intend to take your car to the track some of those options may be worthwhile.

Old 12-26-2008, 11:16 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Thanks for the explanations, guys. I'm glad that DSC is now standard, as I really believe in it for both routine driving and when really motoring. Some who ordered it did so because it would make the car "up to date" when sold. I can also understand that those who autocross (as I do), and those who track would want to turn it off. Most autocrossers do turn off the DSC.

I consider LSD essential in taming (or at least trying to) torque steer. I ordered it on mine, sight unseen, and I'm glad I did.

Old 12-26-2008, 11:18 AM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
Things to look at when I took my 08 off the lot I was replacing my 04 MC that had the premium and sports package. I was really wanting the sun roof and was looking at that direction. I ended up not getting the premium package and instead went for the blue tooth option and upgrade to the sound system. In looking back when I drove my 04 I really did not go high speeds with the sun roof open and the clean roof line is awesome. I ended up going with the white lights as mentioned above however did not go with the rear fog lights the only disadvantage is that I have a blank in the switch panel. I went with the third brake flasher from Go Mini instead and get a nice gap develops on those following me. No matter what options you go with you will enjoy it.

Old 12-26-2008, 12:10 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Tron Chief
I was really wanting the sun roof and was looking at that direction. In looking back when I drove my 04 I really did not go high speeds with the sun roof open and the clean roof line is awesome.
That's another one of those polarizing options. I can't imagine having a MINI (or any other car) without a sunroof, but not everyone feels that way. In my case, the speed is not a difference, as much of my driving is at highway speeds, and having a hole in the roof is a real addition to the motoring "experience" in the right weather, and on the right roads. Mine's usually open from fall through spring, even on the freeway. I know the serious autocrossers and trackers disagree, though. There have been a number of threads about this, too. I do think it's an option that's a deal breaker for resale.

One thing that has been incorrectly stated in those threads, though, is the weight of the sunroof. I had my MA go directly to the source--the engineers in Germany--and the word is that the sunroof adds 55 pounds. Yes, I know, it's not in the "right" place, and there are also structural differences, but it's not the "few hundred" pounds some have stated.

This isn't meant to hijack the thread, though. You're right, Tron--it's hard to find a "bad" MINI! And even bad motoring in a MINI is better than good motoring in bad cars!

Old 12-26-2008, 01:15 PM
cameroon
4th Gear
To clear up the questions about DSC/DTC at least a little, here's the basic rundown I got from my MA and info from the information available on Mini USA.

DSC - Dynamic Stability Control; standard on all the Minis. This is a system designed to allow no wheel slip. This can range from great to hazardous, depending on when the system engages (imagine pulling out at an intersection and the wheel slips a bit - the DSC system can chop the throttle, leaving you accelerating far too slowly). Mostly, it can be a problem in wet/snowy/sandy conditions where the system needs to allow some wheel or vehicle slip in order for the vehicle to move (imagine getting started in slippery snow when DSC keeps cutting your throttle or braking a wheel!).

DTC - When you turn off DSC (assuming you have DTC) then the Dynamic Traction Control system kicks in. This mode allows for limited wheel slip for wet/icy/sandy conditions where some slip is necessary. It will also allow the car to slip and, if the system adjusted engine power, will restore engine power sooner than DSC will.

If you turn off both DSC and DTC, then the "eDLC" will be in effect (electronic differential lock control).

eDLC tries to keep the inner wheel from slipping in a corner (using braking), but does not change engine power at all nor kick in the stability systems. It's sort of an electronic version of a LSD, but not exactly (notice they don't call it an eLSD).

The LSD (Limited Slip Differential) is mechanical method of controlling wheel slip (check out Wikipedia for a detailed description).

It's worth noting the JCW Cooper does not have, standard or as an option, a mechanical LSD. It relies entirely on the electronic systems. Personally, in my build, I've been going back and forth on getting the LSD in addition to DTC.

I'm not an expert in the systems by any means, but these two options have occupied a good bit of my research effort.

Old 12-26-2008, 02:34 PM
Augie05
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"One thing that has been incorrectly stated in those threads, though, is the weight of the sunroof. I had my MA go directly to the source--the engineers in Germany--and the word is that the sunroof adds 55 pounds. Yes, I know, it's not in the "right" place, and there are also structural differences, but it's not the "few hundred" pounds some have stated."

Good info on weight of sunroof !!

Old 12-26-2008, 02:36 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
I should mention--that's for the '07. Presumably more recent R56s are the same...

Quick Reply: R56 Help, I need advice!