R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Fun with plasti-dip

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 06:54 PM
scott48
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
badgeless on the rear looks pretty good, clean...i think i may go that route

Old 12-26-2008, 07:05 PM
cameroon
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maximus96
Thanks for the kind words. The stripes are vinyl, forgot to mention that. Also I used VHT nite shades for the front signals and side repeaters with plasti-dip on the other black parts.

The wheels were done about a month ago and they're holding up just fine. I can't post any pics yet because internet is down at home.

The plasti-dip joey mod was done this past monday so no long term conclusions yet. I read some first-gen folks using plasti-dip for their joey so I think it should be ok. Taking the headlights apart were easy since I've done the same to my other cars before. I didn't do the projector shrouds because my wife was coming home and I didn't have enough time to try to figure out how to take it apart. I think it looks fine for now.
Really, really nice ride there - love the way it looks.

I can't help but wonder if it'd look good to do the projector shrouds in yellow, matching the body color. Either it would look bad, or it'd be an awesome highlight.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:41 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
The rear debadging does look good. Now you need to lose that license plate frame (maybe get a plain black one).

Old 12-26-2008, 09:31 PM
4Boogie
all throttle no bottle
Originally Posted by IzzyG
I cannot seem to find the DIY for the joey mod. How do you guys take the headlight apart? And why the baking? I've taken the headlights(the bulb itself) out to tap into the brights wire but I could not take the bulb at all. DIY please.
I couldnt get mine open I guess because the glue is so old, I have 03. I ordered some vinyl from Vinyl Styles and tinted mine. If you decide to go that route I suggest 3 people to do the job. 2 to stretch the vinyl and 1 to hold the hair dryer.

as for plasti-dip....I love the stuff. I need to remove my door handles and redo them.

P.S. I did get my tail lights open tho and working on them right now

Last edited by 4Boogie; 12-26-2008 at 09:35 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 12-26-2008, 09:39 PM
tazio
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I didn't do the projector shrouds because my wife was coming home and I didn't have enough time to try to figure out how to take it apart..
That is classic.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:48 PM
MiniFaron
3rd Gear
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico No I dont need a Green Card
I talked to a couple of techs at the dealership today, they said that it shouldnt be very hard. The hardest part for me would be to get the car from my wife long enough to work on it!

Old 12-27-2008, 12:27 AM
MoxieMini
6th Gear
WOW! That looks amazing! I'm totally getting some of that for mine! Great job.

Old 12-27-2008, 02:18 AM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very nice car. It's clean !! I really love the debadged look. I see BMW got smart and stopped putting holes in the body work. You second geners are lucky. If I had the chance to take my badges off as simple as you guys, they'd be gone in a second. If that's any motivation for some of you to debadge your car, then I'm glad I could help. It really looks clean. I do agree with others though, ditch that plate and find a better spot for it.

One more thing to the OP, you still haven't answered some questions in here. Did you spray the plasti dip or brush it on? Your results look amazing. Looking at your headlight rings, they are very well done.

Old 12-27-2008, 05:49 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rkw
Now you need to lose that license plate frame (maybe get a plain black one).
I plasti-dipped my frame - worked great!

Originally Posted by 4Boogie
I need to remove my door handles and redo them.
I did my handles on the car with no problems - easy. Mask around and under the handle with blue tape. Doesn't have to be perfect, because the dry dip will rub right off of where you don't want it. I also used some tape on the inner "button" of the door handle.

The trick is to use an Xactco knife to go around each side of the handle where the chrome meets the rubber gasket after each coat dries for about 10 minutes - while it's still a little soft. This will "score" the cover enough to make it cut cleanly when you remove the masking and peel off the excess dip... plasti-dip is hard to cut cleanly when dry (it stretches and tears) but if you pre-cut it when damp, no worries.

Old 12-27-2008, 05:56 AM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Thanks Blimey, I'll give it a try when I get back.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:10 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh yeah... I also used a sheet of paper to mask (I used big kraft paper from a roll I have, but you could use a full sized sheet of newspaper). Just cut about a 2x9" hole in the middle for the handle, then tape it on the door to cover the area around the handle - like a surgical drape... then use tape to finish masking...

Old 12-27-2008, 06:21 AM
4Boogie
all throttle no bottle
I did all that the first time. The edges are starting to peel so this time I'm gonna take them off. It can be done. I have a felling it will hold up better if I spray the back side of the handles instead of just the front. Thanks for the suggestion tho

Old 12-27-2008, 08:31 AM
MiniFaron
3rd Gear
I wondered if it would come up on the edges, and it sounds like its does on the parts that you handle? AmI correct?

Old 12-27-2008, 09:44 AM
maximus96
3rd Gear
finally internet is back up. looks like i didn't take much pics of the wheels. i only have one closeup. right now its already covered in brake dust so i'll take some pics after i wash the car. the brake dust is now no longer as ugly as before. actually you can't see it much at all.

doing the wheel was easy. i didn't remove the tires. i washed them, inside and out, and let dry. then painted the inside 2x, light coat then heavy coat. for the outside i stuck a bunch of old business cards along the edge of the rim, where it meets the tire. i pull them out immediately after i paint each tire because if the overspray dries, it'll rip off the paint on the rim itself. it was a little tedious to insert and remove the cards each time but it saves a lot of headache i think. i did 3 coats for the front and that was it. the "MINI" logo pops out from the back.

oh yea. there are holes with the badges. but you can't really tell with the vinyl on top. i was going to stick the badges back on but i'm liking it more without the badges. also bought some tape to do the belt line. i have a lot of excess vinyl to attemp to wrap the door handles but i think it'll be tough to do.

i need to find some plain black license plate frames. the mini branded ones are so expensive.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:04 AM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Oh, so BMW is up to their old tricks then. Thanks for the tips. I can't see any flaws are indications of runs in your work. Is Plasti dip that easy to work with?

Old 12-27-2008, 10:29 AM
SmokeM
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Fatherdeth
Oh, so BMW is up to their old tricks then. Thanks for the tips. I can't see any flaws are indications of runs in your work. Is Plasti dip that easy to work with?
Yes, pretty straight forward. Light coats...it goes on easy. You'll need to do 3 or more coats. Check out my gallery for some shots.

I was in a minor accident which marred my rims. I'll plasti-dim them weather permitting.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:31 AM
maximus96
3rd Gear
its easy to use. just spray like any other rattle can paint. i usually do 1 light coat, then heavier on the next two. i stop at 3 coat with the last coat the heaviest. it turns to a flat color after it dries. they have other colors besides black to play with

Old 12-27-2008, 01:04 PM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
its easy to use. just spray like any other rattle can paint. i usually do 1 light coat, then heavier on the next two. i stop at 3 coat with the last coat the heaviest. it turns to a flat color after it dries. they have other colors besides black to play with
Thanks for the information Maximus. Oh, and Smokem, your sig. has got to be the funniest thing I have read in awhile.

Old 12-27-2008, 01:56 PM
leicaguy
4th Gear
finally internet is back up. looks like i didn't take much pics of the wheels. i only have one closeup. right now its already covered in brake dust so i'll take some pics after i wash the car. the brake dust is now no longer as ugly as before. actually you can't see it much at all.

doing the wheel was easy. i didn't remove the tires. i washed them, inside and out, and let dry. then painted the inside 2x, light coat then heavy coat. for the outside i stuck a bunch of old business cards along the edge of the rim, where it meets the tire. i pull them out immediately after i paint each tire because if the overspray dries, it'll rip off the paint on the rim itself. it was a little tedious to insert and remove the cards each time but it saves a lot of headache i think. i did 3 coats for the front and that was it. the "MINI" logo pops out from the back.

oh yea. there are holes with the badges. but you can't really tell with the vinyl on top. i was going to stick the badges back on but i'm liking it more without the badges. also bought some tape to do the belt line. i have a lot of excess vinyl to attemp to wrap the door handles but i think it'll be tough to do.

i need to find some plain black license plate frames. the mini branded ones are so expensive.
Sounds pretty easy. So you only cleaned the wheels? no roughing up with sandpaper needed?

Old 12-27-2008, 02:48 PM
4Boogie
all throttle no bottle
Originally Posted by MiniFaron
I wondered if it would come up on the edges, and it sounds like its does on the parts that you handle? AmI correct?
yes if you dont take them off before you spray them. here is is link to help get them off. I think they would hold up as good as the gas cap if you spray them good. I'll do mine soon. Working on Joey mod tail lights right now

http://www.motoringunderground.com/f...ead.php?t=8000

Old 12-27-2008, 04:45 PM
maximus96
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by leicaguy
Sounds pretty easy. So you only cleaned the wheels? no roughing up with sandpaper needed?
no roughing or sanding. so if you ever want to revert the process, just peel off and its back to OEM.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:06 PM
MINI_chili
3rd Gear
I didn't do the projector shrouds because my wife was coming home and I didn't have enough time to try to figure out how to take it apart.
I don't know HOW different the headlight assembly is, but I completely disassembled my 1st gen light (it took days for me to figure out how to take it apart w/o damaging anything) I can dig up my post w/ pics locating all the screws and what-not if you think it would help

Old 12-27-2008, 10:50 PM
iceman72
3rd Gear
Very good job. I wish I had the ***** to do my lights like that. The joeymod is HOT. It looks great with all the other mods you have done. I love the yellow.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:07 AM
SmokeM
5th Gear
Thanks for the information Maximus. Oh, and Smokem, your sig. has got to be the funniest thing I have read in awhile.
LOL. Very few get my sense of humor. My wife stopped laughing at my jokes long ago. Now its you and the little voice inside my head that laughs . Take care.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:34 AM
MiniFaron
3rd Gear
Please post photos of the Joeymod Tail lights. I would like to see that done. I look forward to blacking mine out when I get it. I would work on our Clubman, but its not getting above 40 much right now. I am not to excited about being cold, so it will wait.

Quick Reply: R56 Fun with plasti-dip