R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Car arrived missing a feature. Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 04:02 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Think you need to teach the dealer a lession...he os playing hardball with you.. I would make your demands clear or walk away. You will always regret you didn't go down a diffrent path later on down the road.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:06 AM
PatM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have 2 cars on order. One is at the dealership now and the other on the boat. The first is my wife's car. We ordered hers with black stripes. I too had to sign the sales order and did on this car. But come to find after looking it over for the 3rd time that I missed the stripes and so did my MA. He said no problem they would make it right. Now of course I will have to pay for it but only what the web site would normally charge.

My MA knew that we wanted the stripes and admitted as he too missed it on the order form. We made several changes to the car during the process. It was too late to change the order once I discovered it.

I guess it all boils down to integrity. If your MA knew you wanted the Areo Kit chances are you and he spoke about it and knew your intentions. He and you should probably examine the situation and you should be able to come to an agreeable solution for both parties. If not then you might want to find another dealer. Keep in mind that the integrity part applies to both parties.

Regards,

Pat

Old 12-28-2008, 05:49 AM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by corcoranwtnet
My dealer had me sign a sales order specifying every option I wanted on the car before it was ordered (when I made my deposit). They also emailed me a copy of the spec sheet when they actually ordered the car, so I could double check that they had spec'd it properly.
Same here. I personally reviewed the spec sheet before plopping down my deposit. The OP is equally responsible for the omission IMO.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:10 AM
DrewN
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^ this...

Also, not sure if this applies in the OP's case, but you have full access to your vehicle's production via the Owners' Lounge. Within the first couple of days you are given a Production Number, which you can then use to register for the OL, and track your MINI as it's being manufactured, shipped overseas, and delivered. With the OL you pretty much know which options you have on the actual car within the first week of ordering. You can also call ASK-MINI and they will have the same information, also within days of placing the order.

That said, if I saw that my aero kit was missing I would've called my MA within days of initial production and ask that they install it at the VDC if possible. At least it would have given me more leverage to argue the labor charge or refuse delivery.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:25 AM
lilruffcat
6th Gear
I agree w/ Drew and a few others. Check your order paperwork, if the aerokit is listed, then I would refuse the car, and wait for another to arrive.
If it isn't, then you need to take some of the responsibility and pay to have it installed. Then only you can decide if labour and cost is worth it.
Try to make your decision w/ a rational mindset. I know waiting on your mini is almost torture, but why take something you didn't order. I am sure you already know this, and just needed to vent here. After all.. would you go to a restaraunt and order a ny strip.. and be happy when they bring you a happy meal?

Old 12-28-2008, 06:31 AM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DrewN
^^ this...

Also, not sure if this applies in the OP's case, but you have full access to your vehicle's production via the Owners' Lounge. Within the first couple of days you are given a Production Number, which you can then use to register for the OL, and track your MINI as it's being manufactured, shipped overseas, and delivered. With the OL you pretty much know which options you have on the actual car within the first week of ordering. You can also call ASK-MINI and they will have the same information, also within days of placing the order.

That said, if I saw that my aero kit was missing I would've called my MA within days of initial production and ask that they install it at the VDC if possible. At least it would have given me more leverage to argue the labor charge or refuse delivery.
I agree 100%, that's the first thing I did. There should be NO surprises.

Old 12-29-2008, 03:52 AM
glangford
6th Gear
I had MFSW left off my order. The dealer reordered for me even before he called and told me something was left off. The dealer was a class act all the way. (Mini of Nashville).

Where is the OP? What did he decide?

Old 12-29-2008, 08:40 AM
mini on
4th Gear
Again, while our cars were in the process of being built we/I knew right away from the owners lounge just how it was going to be built. Fortunatly mine was ordered the way I wanted it. If it wasn't there would have been plenty of time to correct any discrepencies. Talk to someone at the dealership with a cool head as was mentioned earlier. Give the dealership a chance to take care of you. And if you can't get a Prius or something

Old 12-29-2008, 10:27 AM
MiniFaron
3rd Gear
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico No I dont need a Green Card
I am not sure who your MA was in Nashville, but John Monk is a really cool guy!

Old 12-29-2008, 11:02 AM
OldRick
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You could, of course, forget the (non-functional) "Aero" kit, save $1200, and put the money into something useful on the car, like functional suspension upgrades.

I like the description that Mitsubishi uses for their "aerodynamics" kit. Acknowledging that it is essentially useless, they call it the "Aggressive Appearance Kit", which seems much more accurate...