R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Thinking about MINI Cooper S as a commuter -opinions welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 09:19 AM
awai08
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about MINI Cooper S as a commuter -opinions welcome!

Hi All,

I'm a car enthusiast who has grown up with the 1996 Acura Integra and more recently the 2003 VW GTI. Last year, I traded in the VW for a more practical Toyota Prius Touring, which since has undergone the addition of several chassis braces to bring the clunky stock handling into the range of average.

Well, kind of like trying to turn Oprah Winfrey into a supermodel, modifying any further the Prius seems to be a losing battle. The next step would be to add larger/wider wheels and lower profile tires, but doing so would cut down the car's primary strength -fuel efficiency -into the high 30's.

That's Mini MPG territory, and Minis don't need extensive modification to be lively performers! So -I've been thinking of turning in the Prius and picking up either a new or used Cooper S hatchback. The car would be my primary commuter, so it would have to carry the groceries, usually one but sometimes two friends, and bikes with a roof rack. Questions I have for the Mini faithful are:

1. Does the Mini have at least enough space to pick up a friend and his/her luggage from the airport? Do full-sized adults (e.g. less than six feet tall) fit reasonably into the back for half-hour long trips? Can two snowboards and two people fit inside the car at the same time?

2. Does the Mini live up to the official MPG numbers, i.e. combined 32 for the Cooper and 29 for the S?

3. Do the paddle shifters of the automatic satisfy the driving enthusiasts out there?

4. Is the JCW version worth the added $$, or is the aftermarket a better bang-for-the-buck??

I'd normally go for the six-speed manual transmission, but rush hour traffic is bumper to bumper where I live. Plus, I currently have a second car (with a six-speed transmission) for weekend romps around town.

Thanks much for the replies!!

Old 12-28-2008, 09:44 AM
Spice Orange JCW
4th Gear
Originally Posted by awai08

1. Does the Mini have at least enough space to pick up a friend and his/her luggage from the airport? Do full-sized adults (e.g. less than six feet tall) fit reasonably into the back for half-hour long trips? Can two snowboards and two people fit inside the car at the same time?

2. Does the Mini live up to the official MPG numbers, i.e. combined 32 for the Cooper and 29 for the S?

3. Do the paddle shifters of the automatic satisfy the driving enthusiasts out there?

4. Is the JCW version worth the added $$, or is the aftermarket a better bang-for-the-buck??

I'd normally go for the six-speed manual transmission, but rush hour traffic is bumper to bumper where I live. Plus, I currently have a second car (with a six-speed transmission) for weekend romps around town.

1. I don't know about the snow boards, but two adults could fit in thed back, the driver and passenger might have to move their seats a little forward.

2. NO. I think it gets better. I have a cooper S and I average 33 miles per gallon. I think most people get a little more.

3. Don't know, I have a 6 speed, But I will tell you the 6 speed has the softest pushing clutch of any car I owned. It is very easy to drive in traffic. Also, If you get DSC you will also get hill assist which holds the brakes on hills for you.

4. Can't answer that, I bought mine before the JCW was out. I did drive one later, but did not think it was much faster. It did sound great though.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:45 AM
jimatvs
2nd Gear
I have an '09 MC so I can only answer a few of your questions...

I haven't tried fitting an adult in the back yet...I could imagine one adult would be possible for a short trip as long as both front seats weren't pushed all the way back.

I also haven't tried snow boards yet, but I don't think that would be a problem with at least one seat down. There is also middle between the seats for the tips if needed.

I get a combined 27-28 MPG in my MC with an auto. My commute is a little more highway than surface streets and there is no traffic on the the highway. My highway drive is very hilly, which I'm sure hurts quite a bit. I couldn't imagine getting 30+ in an MCS with an auto on a daily basis...

What I like more than the paddle shifters is sliding the auto shifter to the left and using that to upshift/downshift. I do find that this can be a lot of fun and give you extra passing power when you need it....even in an MC.

I have also owned an Acura Integra (1991) and several other sporty cars including a Mustang 5.0 and Millenia S. I find that the MC is the best car I've ever owned. It may not be fast (like the MCS) but it sure is quick.

Good luck with the decision

Last edited by jimatvs; 12-28-2008 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:48 AM
VASCoop
2nd Gear
Answers below.

Hi All,

I'm a car enthusiast who has grown up with the 1996 Acura Integra and more recently the 2003 VW GTI. Last year, I traded in the VW for a more practical Toyota Prius Touring, which since has undergone the addition of several chassis braces to bring the clunky stock handling into the range of average.

Well, kind of like trying to turn Oprah Winfrey into a supermodel, modifying any further the Prius seems to be a losing battle. LOL! The next step would be to add larger/wider wheels and lower profile tires, but doing so would cut down the car's primary strength -fuel efficiency -into the high 30's.

That's Mini MPG territory, and Minis don't need extensive modification to be lively performers! So -I've been thinking of turning in the Prius and picking up either a new or used Cooper S hatchback. The car would be my primary commuter, so it would have to carry the groceries, usually one but sometimes two friends, and bikes with a roof rack. Questions I have for the Mini faithful are:

1. Does the Mini have at least enough space to pick up a friend and his/her luggage from the airport? Yes, with rear seats folded down there is lots of luggage space. Do full-sized adults (e.g. less than six feet tall) fit reasonably into the back for half-hour long trips? One will fit OK if the passenger seat is forward enough. Front legroom is incredible! Can two snowboards and two people fit inside the car at the same time? Again lots of room with rear seats folded down.

2. Does the Mini live up to the official MPG numbers, i.e. combined 32 for the Cooper and 29 for the S? R53, no, R56 yes. I get about 25 combined in my 05 S Cabrio, but it's probably 70% city.

3. Do the paddle shifters of the automatic satisfy the driving enthusiasts out there? Only test driven the S auto, but it was awesome!

4. Is the JCW version worth the added $$, or is the aftermarket a better bang-for-the-buck?? From what I read about people doing upgrades you can probably get more for less going aftermarket. But JCW will be better for resale value. Others may be better to address this as mine is still pretty stock!

I commuted for 5 years in the DC area with a 6-speed and it's fine. (My second S.)

Good luckl!

Old 12-28-2008, 11:14 AM
Ambrosia
4th Gear
I think the MCS is a great commuter car, esp if you live in the city. I've had my MCS auto for 11 months and have 18k miles and am still pleased with my decision to buy it.

Yes, you can fit a friend and their luggage. You can also fit 2 adults and luggage for a short trip. 2 adults will fit in the back seat need be, but I wouldn't want to do that for super long road trips. I am not sure about the snowboards but it all depends on how good you are at creatively packing items into small spaces...it can be done. Roof racks can also be bought. The trunk...sorry, boot...is pretty worthless though...lol. Of course, my sub literally takes up half of mine. However, it is usually just me in the car and sometimes with my over 6ft tall bf and we can manage fine with the space when grocery shopping, etc.

It has been a while since I've checked but last I noticed I was averaging about 26-27 mpg. This is with a serious lead foot and with DC metro area heavy traffic on the highway and city. I would assume most people are getting better than that.

I don't use my paddle shifters...lol...but still feel my auto MCS is zippy enough. It won't beat my bf's AMG in a straight line but it handles its own and is definitely quick enough (esp with the sport button on) to zip around in traffic in the city and on the highway. It is an extremely nimble car and handles incredibly well. The driving experience is very direct and it maneuvers well as a small and nimble car in all driving conditions (again, in DC traffic or on the track) which makes the car fun regardless of transmission type.

There are times I wish I had gotten a manual (i.e. for future track use, etc), esp since everyone still wants to give me crap about it...lol. I bought the auto for personal reasons and it was the best choice for me and I don't regret while in traffic. It's funny though, I notice my bf and others still don't mind driving my car and really enjoy it even if it is an automatic.

hope that helps!

Old 12-28-2008, 11:33 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
One person in back: no problem at all for a couple of hours if the passenger slides their seat up some. 2 in back: depends on driver's seat, but can be done. I can get a lot of groceries in the boot trust me!
Snowboards: I can get 2 sets of golf clubs in mine. Should be easy.
MPG: I get 28-29 city, 33-34 hway in my MCS manual.
AT: You'll like it. Nobody has complained about it around here. I'd get it if I had a lot of stop and go. It's a fast shifting unit.
JCW: Adds about $6.5k to the price, but about 1/3 of that is wheels IMO. It's a good value compared to upgraded enthusiast badges of other brands.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:49 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. My wife and I have taken a variety of trips with our luggage in the back/boot area with no problem. We've also traveled with our girls to soccer games - a little over an hour away with them in the back and the boot filled with folding chairs, soccer ***** & bags, cooler, etc. Never had to fold the back seats down to pack it full for a trip yet (I just like keeping them up if at all possible). But never had adults in the backseat. Overall, I think it has more room inside for packing it full than one might think.

2. My combined mileage hovers around 33 mpg and change as a daily driver, about 70% highway. Pretty sure I could keep it over 30 in heavy city driving if I'm careful. This is on a manual. So the numbers seem accurate to me.

3 & 4. N/A. Got a manual, no JCW.

Good luck!

Old 12-28-2008, 01:00 PM
DrewN
6th Gear
awai08, welcome to NAM

1. You have the right idea about half-hour stints, I don't think adults of any size would last much longer without feeling some discomfort.

2. On the button for me. Combined 29-30MPG on an S. Very little highway runs, mostly suburban driving @ 45-60MPH with several traffic lights to go through.

3. Plenty of power in the 6 spd. AISIN S, and the paddle shifters make it tons of fun. As a matter of fact the auto transmission does a faster 0-60 than standard

4. Good question. From what I've seen and heard the R56 aftermarket options aren't many thus far (at least compared to the R50/R53). That's bound to change eventually, but I would stick with JCW at this time due to the newness of the R56 platform plus warranty coverage included with JCW performance.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:54 AM
Engender
3rd Gear
Questions I have for the Mini faithful are:

Okay, I've had my Cooper S for going on four months now, but I have given a few of your questions some thought:

1a) You could certainly pick up a friend and their luggage from the airport - provided they have a sensible amount of luggage... I'd say no more than 4 bags. After 4 it may be a bit of a challenge. But, returning from my parent's place from the holidays, we had in the car: a new humidifier (boxed), a new Kodak ESP-7 printer (boxed), a new 22" wide screen monitor (boxed), a over-50 lbs suitcase of clothes, a camera bag, a knitting bag, several pocket books, as well as assorted clothes and small Christmas presents.

1b) I think the golden rule for # of people in MINIs is 3 is cool for whatever, and 4 is a tight fit. I had 3 ppl (including myself) in the car, plus weekend-stay luggage in the car for a 2-hour plus trip and the person in the back seat said they were comfortable. However, I like to scoot my seat way back, and a 4th person behind me would have made me uncomfortable.

1c) Yeah, I think so, but no experience with snowboards.

2) I get between 26-27 in my S, but I drive hard in almost exclusively stop-and-go traffic.

3)Yes. I love the auto, and I'm coming from a 5-speed manual Saab 900 SE Turbo.

4) I dunno. If I had the money, which I really don't, I would like the extra 24 or so horse power the JCW provides, so I could take that Mercedes E class that passed me this morning... I'll have to see how much HP that E class has after I finish this...

5)The auto is totally worth it. Don't even worry about it. Better, go test drive a CooperS with the auto transmission and see what YOU think!

Old 12-29-2008, 11:02 AM
pillar
5th Gear
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydvAQ6Y49vc

its all about how you drive it!

Old 12-29-2008, 12:18 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Questions I have for the Mini faithful are:

1. Great for two, OK for four if the trip is very short. lots of space for luggage for 2 when the back seat is folded down.

2. Yes, as long as U dont shift at 6K every time, and keep it under 100

3. Yes, and very well. altho it is a slushbox, the Aisin is a VERY dependable, fast and smooth shifting tranny, and you cannot feel the torque converter in the top 4 gears--456-654 highway shifts are near-instant. It is hard to explain what an exhilirating feeling it is to shift gears with both hands on the wheels, whilst moving thru the twisties. DrewN is correct about the 0-60 times, and automatic S's routinely top manual S's not only in 1/4 mile, but in stock-class auto-x. worth every penny IMO, esp. for the commuter in traffic angle U mentioned or, if like me, you have a bum left knee.

4. Many dealers are getting militant about aftermarket mods and warranty issues. Only because no factory JCW auto is available (yet), I had to go with the JCW Tuning Kit (aka Stage I) on my 09 MCS automatic and the car has turned from fast to otherworldly beastly fast. Plus some JCW stuff is a bargin, like the rear sway bar. If U dont go JCW, check with yr dealer before doing any mods to see if they will affect yr warranty.

One more thing the dealer never mentions: If U need adj lumbar support you have to get either the leather/cloth or full leather seats. Cloth and l'rette seats do not have adjustable LSs.

Re yr last point: altho the Getrag 6-speed is a dependable tranny, BMW's source for clutches and flywheels is LuK, and their overall reliability record is not exactly stellar. I dont know any enthusiast that would choose a manual if they knew the LuK throwout bearing is made of high-impact plastic. Plus many MINI-heads dump the LuK junke for h/d clutch/FW setups like Clutchmasters if they intend to seriously race or track their cars. Ive been to a few MINI auto-x events where the nasty stench of a toasted LuK clutch or two fills the air.

Good luck, and let us know what U do! Welcome to NAM!

Last edited by sequence; 12-29-2008 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Forgot to welcome the guy!
Old 12-29-2008, 08:27 PM
awai08
Neutral
Thanks for all the responses and the warm welcome! Good to see the Mini folks love their rides!!

Sounds to me like I could be happy enough with the auto/paddle-shift Cooper S (though I'm sure the manual vs. auto debate will rage on in my head. I will have to take a test drive to manage the dilemma soon). The JCW looks nice, but near-fully loaded, the total amounts to almost 40K, which is a bit steep for a hot-hatch. I also priced out a Cooper S on the configurator, with all the packages (premium, sport, cold weather, and convenience), leather (a personal preference), sport suspension (i.e. a thicker rear sway bar? A bit pricey for $500 but probably what the total would amount to with labor if aftermarket), alarm, hi-fi sound, and a JCW strut brace. Total is $35.5 K!

I originally considered the JCW sport suspension, but deleted it primarily to keep cost down. Any downsides besides price? I'd imagine that the ride would be a little harsher, and perhaps superfluous for a daily driver.

I also am a fan of navigation, though the salesman I've talked to didn't speak too highly of the $2k integrated option. Since there's a conflict of interest (most of the cars at the dealership I visited didn't have it), I thought I'd ask what you all think. Is it as good or better than the touch-screen portable versions?

Thanks again! The enthusiasm here is infectious.

Last edited by awai08; 12-29-2008 at 08:35 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:11 AM
geekswrath
5th Gear
If you are looking for a replacement for the commuter car you might want to think about getting an R56 justacooper (non S Cooper). They get even better gas milage, have the same roominess, don't suffer from most of the S related problems (cold start issues, loud injectors, etc.), not as much if any torque steer, and they handle like a little possesed go-kart (drove one on a mild autocross track at MTTS).

That said I only have the one car so Ferris has to pull double duty as a commuter/weekend warrior and I couldn't be happier. I'm averaging about 31mpg with weekly highway and weekend backroads driving.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:44 AM
RoadTrip2
3rd Gear
Our 2008 MCS is my wife's daily driver for work, errands, etc.

We use it as 2-seater - keeping the rear seats flat. The rear seats are very tight for adults, but we took a roadtrip and had plenty of room for our luggage, etc.

She averages 34 - 35 mpg through the week, but I usually average around 32. My foot is a bit heavier...

We have the 6-Speed Manual and it's great - recommend it highly. (Don't be shiftless.)

We drove an MCS and the JCW, and preferred the MCS because we did not see the value in the extra $$ for the JCW. We too are car enthusiasts - we have 2008 Corvette LS3 and 1992 Corvette LT1. While we love the idea of the JCW, in our opinion the extra $$ are not justified for the performance difference - which did not feel like that much of a difference to us. It was noticeable, but not what we expected. (No offense to JCW owners). Recommend test driving the S and JCW to compare for yourself - you might feel different.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:36 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by geekswrath
They get even better gas milage, have the same roominess, don't suffer from most of the S related problems (cold start issues, loud injectors, etc.), not as much if any torque steer, and they handle like a little possesed go-kart (drove one on a mild autocross track at MTTS).
Justacoopers suffer from the cold start issue as well. My two 07 loaners had the problem; sounded like diesels when starting.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:39 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Thanks for all the responses and the warm welcome! Good to see the Mini folks love their rides!!

Sounds to me like I could be happy enough with the auto/paddle-shift Cooper S (though I'm sure the manual vs. auto debate will rage on in my head. I will have to take a test drive to manage the dilemma soon). The JCW looks nice, but near-fully loaded, the total amounts to almost 40K, which is a bit steep for a hot-hatch. I also priced out a Cooper S on the configurator, with all the packages (premium, sport, cold weather, and convenience), leather (a personal preference), sport suspension (i.e. a thicker rear sway bar? A bit pricey for $500 but probably what the total would amount to with labor if aftermarket), alarm, hi-fi sound, and a JCW strut brace. Total is $35.5 K!

I originally considered the JCW sport suspension, but deleted it primarily to keep cost down. Any downsides besides price? I'd imagine that the ride would be a little harsher, and perhaps superfluous for a daily driver.

I also am a fan of navigation, though the salesman I've talked to didn't speak too highly of the $2k integrated option. Since there's a conflict of interest (most of the cars at the dealership I visited didn't have it), I thought I'd ask what you all think. Is it as good or better than the touch-screen portable versions?

Thanks again! The enthusiasm here is infectious.
If U want a fairly supple ride, but want to take the twisties nice and tight w/o too much body lean, get the standard suspension but upgrade the standard rear sway bar to the JCW rsb. Less than $100 for parts (cheaper than the standard rsb, go figure) and about 1.5 hours labor at the dealer to install.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:22 AM
geekswrath
5th Gear
Originally Posted by sequence
Justacoopers suffer from the cold start issue as well. My two 07 loaners had the problem; sounded like diesels when starting.
Sorry I was mistaken about that. Ok so one less advantage then. I personally haven't had the problem with Ferris so I'm just going off of others experiences.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:45 AM
protoculture
3rd Gear
My wife uses her '08 MCSa (automatic) as a commuter. In fact, we went from an '04 S (manual) to this one due to a job change that required the longer commute. I had an '02, but opted not to go for another Cooper when it was time to change.

No idea on snowboards, but ours does airport duty on occasion. Fold down the rears and you're good. We've had four of us in the '02 and '04 car before for up to an hour. Notably, I'm 5'10", the missus is 5'7", and our friends were 6'5" and 5'7". Nothing you'd want to do for hundreds of miles, but passable for short distances.

I'd say right at that in the automatic. My wife (who doesn't have a very heavy foot) observes about 32mpg according to the OBC. I've driven for a week or so when she's been out of town, and couldn't get north of 30mpg. This is in DC Metro commuting though, so figure a little more than 65% start/stop situations.

They're adequate, but they don't satisfy me. It's a great transmission, very quick, and absolutely ideal for a commuter car (imho), but you do give up something for the convenience.

Can't say for sure. On the R53 MCS ('02-'06) the JCW pack was reputed to have a more complete feeling. I'm sure that's true, but it wasn't worth the money to me, and I modded mine a ton before selling.

Good luck in your search.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:02 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by geekswrath
Sorry I was mistaken about that. Ok so one less advantage then. I personally haven't had the problem with Ferris so I'm just going off of others experiences.
No worries mate

Old 12-30-2008, 09:11 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by protoculture
It's a great transmission, very quick, and absolutely ideal for a commuter car (imho), but you do give up something for the convenience.
The only 'something' U give up, at least with a stock MCSa, is the inabilty to rev-match on downshifts. however, the JCW tune kit remapped the ECU to provide the tranny with more performance-oriented shift points, and it will, albeit barely discernable, rev-match some on downshifts in Sport mode.

I can see in the next few years MINI adopting a true double-clutch manual- automatic similar to VW/Audi's. Aisin, the current MINI auto tranny supplier, is developing a hi-performance 7-speed double clutch manumatic for FWDs, and a hi-perf 8-speed DSG for R/AWD cars.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:13 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I think the answer is simple, you need a Clubman!

All the advantages of a regular Cooper or Cooper S in just a slightly longer package. Still rides, drives and handles like any Cooper, but more room for both passengers and stuff, plus you can get the optional roof rails and put the boards or bikes on top.

If you're used to the performance of the Prius, a "Justaclubman" would be fine, and get great mileage. However, If it were me I'd opt for the Clubby S with the auto. All the good stuff and more, and I think you'd find the performance more than adequate for your needs - it's downright fast!

Old 12-30-2008, 12:50 PM
bluemeanie357
4th Gear
The Auto tranny is the best I've driven, it has many different modes. Plain auto, it shifts very smoothly. In Sport, it shifts harder and more spirited. If you use the paddles you can up or downshift at will, and it will return to whatever gear it deems prudent afterward. It has a manual shifter for holding gears and getting toward redline, but if you just put it in manual mode, you can shift with the paddles and hold gears as long as you like. Sport mode locks out 6th gear, but if you shift to it in manual mode, you can keep Sport mode on for quick passes and tighter steering, and get the mileage benefits of 6th gear.

It's a great commuter car, and with the back seats down you can haul quite a bit of luggage, like full-size suitcases. If you need 4 people plus luggage, go Clubman.

As for mileage, I do a lot of stop & go and have a lead foot, the worst I've gotten on a tank is 25mpg. On the highway only, I've gotten 33mpg. This is an MCS auto.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:05 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bluemeanie357
The Auto tranny is the best I've driven, it has many different modes. Plain auto, it shifts very smoothly. In Sport, it shifts harder and more spirited. If you use the paddles you can up or downshift at will, and it will return to whatever gear it deems prudent afterward. It has a manual shifter for holding gears and getting toward redline, but if you just put it in manual mode, you can shift with the paddles and hold gears as long as you like. Sport mode locks out 6th gear, but if you shift to it in manual mode, you can keep Sport mode on for quick passes and tighter steering, and get the mileage benefits of 6th gear.
Fine summation, but Im not sure what U mean by "Sport mode locks out 6th gear." Do U mean Sport mode and tranny in full auto (D) position, and not using the pads/shifter?

(I should add I never use D, always in manual mode--hooked on the paddies. Except the other night I wanted to see how the tranny shifted in full auto position after the JCW remap. all I have to say is holy

The 6th gear on this auto is nice and tall for optimum gas mileage; at 80mph my 09 is pulling about 800 rpm less than at 80 in 6th gear with my 05 MCS.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:47 PM
scott48
6th Gear
It's a great commuter...You'll get great mpg(I average 30.2mpg even with all my mods and aggressive driving style), easily make your way thru traffic, and enjoy the drive.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:28 PM
krim
5th Gear
Hi All,

Well, kind of like trying to turn Oprah Winfrey into a supermodel, modifying any further the Prius seems to be a losing battle. The next step would be to add larger/wider wheels and lower profile tires, but doing so would cut down the car's primary strength -fuel efficiency -into the high 30's.

1a. One friend, two large luggage max without blocking rear view.
b. Yes, I had 4 guys all 5'9 - 6'2" in my car at once. 30 minutes is near the top of the comfort level though.
c. Barely. I wouldn't do it again though. I'd probably get a rack at some point.

2. I average between 25-27 depending on how i drive (S w/ auto Sport ON). 21 in stop and go.

3. I like it sometimes when i need both hands, otherwise i normally use the stick.

4. no opinion.

Quick Reply: R56 Thinking about MINI Cooper S as a commuter -opinions welcome!