R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 When should I get my first oil change

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 03:20 PM
firepixie
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When should I get my first oil change

Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum. I drive an 08' mini cooper and its my first new car since I got my license. I have recently hit the 8,000 mile mark (and past it) and I wanted to know when you guys suggest getting my first oil change. I called the dealership because oil changes are covered for the first 5 years and I was told that I wasn't eligible for my first oil change till like 15,000 miles or the light in my car comes on. Now, with my other car, granted it was old, I changed the oil every 7-8000 miles so waiting till 15000 sounded insane to me. Any advice? I don't mind paying for the oil change I just was curious when some of you guys changed your oil for the first time.
Thanks for the help!

Old 01-02-2009, 05:08 PM
Mom'sMini
1st Gear
I changed mine at about 5000. I thought 15K was too long for the first one. It'll put you back about $80, and don't take it to the local JiffyLube. Find a shop that knows Minis.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:09 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I did like a lot of us; a post break-in oil/filter change at 1250 miles, there had been surprisingly little metal contamination,
but a distinct gasoline smell from prior to ring seating, and that can add to sludge and coking inside the engine.

If you are not planning to keep the car much past warranty, you would be fine with the MINI service interval.

I keep cars a long time and an annual service with less than 5,000 miles should pay off in the end.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:34 PM
scotteast
Old School!
Originally Posted by pilotart
I keep cars a long time and an annual service with less than 5,000 miles should pay off in the end.
This is one of those topics that is the subject of much debate, here and just about anywhere people talk about cars.

I always change the (synthetic) oil every 5K miles or so. Oil changes are inexpensive and engines cost lots of money, so I think of it as cheap insurance.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:55 PM
Winchm60
5th Gear
Originally Posted by scotteast
This is one of those topics that is the subject of much debate, here and just about anywhere people talk about cars.

I always change the (synthetic) oil every 5K miles or so. Oil changes are inexpensive and engines cost lots of money, so I think of it as cheap insurance.
+1, well said!

What does your service countdown number say? It will appear when you first start your car; if you don't already know about that. It will change based on driving styles as well.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:43 PM
Longboard110
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
after first 1200 miles, then every 5000 there after

Old 01-02-2009, 07:01 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 483FITTER
after first 1200 miles, then every 5000 there after
+1!! Basically Molly's oil gets changed every 6 mos. At the Dealer.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:04 PM
jasonite
2nd Gear
I got my 1st oil change at 10,000 (because the onboard computer calculated my 1st covered change was at 21,500) but like pilotart said, most people recommend not going quite that long, even with the synthetic oil that's in the MINI, if you plan to keep your car long-term.

Just be sure to use MINI-approved synthetic oil or pay someone to change it for you - but beware having it done at the dealership, because they could charge $120 (possibly more) for an oil change that's outside of the included-service program! Definitely get a price quote from them, and if it's more than $80, do what Mom'sMini said

Old 01-02-2009, 08:20 PM
mwittstock
2nd Gear
Wait for your OBC to tell you to book an apt with your dealer.

13k on my MINI and not one oil change - MINI is running like a dream, I get 30mpg with the sport button always on. I check the oil once a month and add when needed, which isn't often.

I don't understand why people go through the trouble of changing the oil when the MINI is built to handle yearly maintenance (per manual) - to each there own but I can tell you my MINI runs like a top without a single oil change.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:06 PM
krim
5th Gear
13k?
Wow, i'm breaking 5k and my oil is dark as dino oil at 2-3k. OBC says change at 11k but i'm changing it as soon as i get a few hours. (Sport 80% of the time, not that it makes a difference)

Old 01-02-2009, 09:57 PM
minianna
1st Gear
i did 7000. at the dealership for $80.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:05 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would do it every 3-5k, like every manufacturer has recommended to the past 20+ years. Oil isn't meant to last 15k miles, I don't care how fancy it is.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:08 AM
glangford
6th Gear
1200 then every 5000 thereafter. Also be advised that your service is required when the service indicator says or one year which ever comes first. For me at every 5000 that works to about every 6 months. I pay for one, one is free.

Being your first oil change, I'd do it yesterday...

Old 01-03-2009, 06:16 AM
silkcut
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Oil changes are a personal choice type issue. There are factors to consider, such as;
Is the recommended oil change frequency on a turbocharged engine, the same as a non turbocharged engine? If the manufacturer says it is, something is a little whacked, and I suspect some madison avenue license at work.
Oil will not retain it's properties as long in a turbocharged engine, as a non turbocharged engine. It just isn't going to happen, no matter what.

Do you drive primarily in extreme temperatures, such as Minnesota in the winter, or Arizona in the summer? The oil is working harder, it's not going to last as long. Add in the the turbo,non turbo issue and the time interval could be changed based on identical driving.

Intake air quality and environmental pollutants also have an effect on oil life.

Oil doesn't lose it's properties catastrophically. It breaks down over time,and even the term "breakdown" is a misnomer. Oil doesn't begin to breakdown until after the point of "rolloff", or a point at which viscosity, based on temperature is effected, and even then, there is a time duration based on the environmental/temperature conditions to which the oil is subjected to that the oil will retain it's viscosity properties.

Do I trust the onboard computer in my mini? not really. I think the algorithm and process input variables required to accurately predict oil change are not present in the car. I think it looks at other related independent process variables and infers a value based on these inputs.
It's not looking specifically at the oil, because that would take an off gas analyzer, opacimeter, and a fluid mass density sensor at minimum. I love my Mini, but it's not that sophisticated. ( I work on 10,000 HP Diesels that have these types of instruments to analyze oil. The oil change on these engines is 700 gallons of a special Mobil Synthetic. The filters hold 55 gallons each. )

I've owned turbocharged vehicles of one form or another since 1978. In the "old days" it was every 3000 miles, and you still had to cross your fingers. Now I do it when when the season changes. New oil going into winter,and summer,and coming out of winter and summer. It works out to ~ every 3-4K miles. I'm not religous about it though.

What I'd really like to know is if it really is the dealer doing the work?
The BMW dealer near me does not do the oil/fluid changes, or tire rotations. The car is sent to an independent business that does these services for the dealer. According to the dealer, "they lose money tying up a lift to change oil". I learned this with my 'beemer.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:31 AM
Kazy
2nd Gear
This is from "ASK THE MINI PRODUCT MANAGER " on the Owner's Lounge:

I have a 2008 MINI Cooper S. My neighbor that used to be a mechanic says that I should have my oil changed after the break-in period because there might be metal shavings in my engine. The dealership didn't mention any of this. I love my MINI and look forward to a long life with her. What should I do!?!

-Nick A

For decades, automobile engines were manufactured in factories that often could not machine parts to very close tolerances. But today’s automobile engine, and in particular, the one under the bonnet of your MINI, is manufactured in a vacuum by robots right next to supercomputer chips. Some say open heart surgery is often not as sanitary as our Hams Hall plant. OK, I can’t back any of that up, but in truth, our 1.6-liter engines are manufactured to incredibly close tolerances, some as little as .0005 inches. With such precision and cleanliness, metal shavings that would normally result from the machining process are practically eliminated during the subsequent manufacturing and assembly processes. In the end, it is not necessary to change the oil out right away. Rather, let the car’s on-board computer tell you when it’s time to refill your crankcase for the first time.
Honestly, I don't know how I'll handle it.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:49 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by not-so-rednwhitecooper
I would do it every 3-5k, like every manufacturer has recommended to the past 20+ years. Oil isn't meant to last 15k miles, I don't care how fancy it is.
"Like every manufacturer has recommended to the past 20+ years?" Like who? Every 3-5K is an old dino-oil standard. unless U track/race yr car every weekend, 3-5K on full synthetic is a waste of perfectly good oil. My guideline, one backed by two mechanics in-the-know that have kept my 86 Toy PU alive to 400K and slightly beyond, say about every 7500 or so for synthetic, a little more (to 10K) if the car is driven mostly highway miles.

Another alternative is to leave the synth oil in, but change the filter halfway thru the cycle, ie 5K and the oil at 10K.

My 09 has about 1800 miles (oil is still clear), so I plan to change the factory oil here at about 3-4K, then every 7500 or so from then on. I'll have to pay for the first one ($80) but after that my dealer springs for a free oil change every year.

But every 3-5K for synthetic? Good lord we are a wasteful society.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:21 AM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Old 01-03-2009, 09:41 AM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Kazy
This is from "ASK THE MINI PRODUCT MANAGER " on the Owner's Lounge:

Quote:
I have a 2008 MINI Cooper S. My neighbor that used to be a mechanic says that I should have my oil changed after the break-in period because there might be metal shavings in my engine. The dealership didn't mention any of this. I love my MINI and look forward to a long life with her. What should I do!?!

-Nick A

For decades, automobile engines were manufactured in factories that often could not machine parts to very close tolerances. But today’s automobile engine, and in particular, the one under the bonnet of your MINI, is manufactured in a vacuum by robots right next to supercomputer chips. Some say open heart surgery is often not as sanitary as our Hams Hall plant. OK, I can’t back any of that up, but in truth, our 1.6-liter engines are manufactured to incredibly close tolerances, some as little as .0005 inches. With such precision and cleanliness, metal shavings that would normally result from the machining process are practically eliminated during the subsequent manufacturing and assembly processes. In the end, it is not necessary to change the oil out right away. Rather, let the car’s on-board computer tell you when it’s time to refill your crankcase for the first time.
Honestly, I don't know how I'll handle it.
I changed oil on mine in the first 200 or so miles. Then again after break-in (1250 miles). BOTH times there were metal filings in the oil.

After break-in there was considerably less metal than the initial change. The next change was only a few thousand more miles and this time, no metal filings. I'd rather not have those pieces floating around.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:28 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
i decided to change mine every 6K. Im at about 5 right now and the break in oil is just now starting to show some darker color...

Old 01-03-2009, 01:17 PM
djam43
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I changed mine at 1500 miles myself , and then I let the dealer change it at 12 months under warrenty at 4500.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:41 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
On a brand new engine, break in oil should be removed at the latest after 1,000 miles. After that, using full synthetic oil, 7k to 8k mile intervals are on the safe side. Oil is still cheap insurance, as like any good consumer we recycle our oil, so it's not like you're dumping it down the drain.

MINI's horrible break-in scam along with overly long oil change intervals should put up all sorts of red flags to those that want their MINI to last a long time. This topic has been beaten like a dead horse, but it still is a good reminder that just because BMW/MINI "said so" doesn't make it in your best interest for a long-wearing reliable vehicle.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:29 PM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
+1 with Ryephile.
First change at about 1,200 and then every 7,500. On my previous 03 MCS, I changed the oil every 5,000 but I agree that is too often and I now change every 7,500. I do not worry so much about the oil breaking-down by 7,500 miles but more about the filter doing a good job for more than 7,500 miles.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:35 PM
ellinara
4th Gear
I have 12500 KM on my MINI and the OBC says I'm good for another 17500. The service manual on the other hand says I should change the oil at 25000 KM for the first time. And my grandfather told me to change it after 1500Km. I wanted to do what my grandfather told me but MINI told me not to worry. What should I believe?

Old 01-04-2009, 05:55 PM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Listen to your grandfather. The Mini oil change intervals are setup for the normal oil change internals (after the initial break-in). It is a very good idea to do one early oil change at about 1500Km then the normal change when the interval counter tells you. Do not reset the interval counter after the first 1500Km oil change, just let it keep counting to the normal first change (which will be your second change). After that you can follow the Mini change intervals if you want however I change it more frequently.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:36 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
I changed at 1250 and am now at 8500 (4 months later). Because I drive ~2000 miles a month I will probably wait to change until ~10,000 miles or so. So perhaps next month then. But I dont' have a turbo either...

All the talk I see about oil changes are for turbos...What do you guys think for a non-turbo?

It is expensive! $108 with tax.

Quick Reply: R56 When should I get my first oil change